PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Lips Alley, Vince Gill and Charlie Christian streets pass for Bricktown

BigRedJed
12/5/2006, 01:58 PM
The OKC City Council today passed measures that name streets after seminal jazz guitarist Charlie Christian, country superstar Vince Gill, and alt/indie act The Flaming Lips.

For those of you who don't know who Charlie Christian is, he was one of the early performers to integrate jazz, joining the Benny Goodman Sextet. He was the featured solo guitarist, and is often credited as the first artist to perform with an electric guitar. Not entirely correct, but he was the first "great" soloist to perform with an amplified electric guitar, some years before Leo Fender introduced his solid-body. Charlie actually began experimenting by cutting a hole in an acoustic and jamming a microphone into the hole. His life was cut short; Christian died of tuberculosis at a mere 24. He is cited as a huge influence on artists like B.B. King and Jimi Hendrix, and is the only Oklahoman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to date. An interesting story on his induction into Goodman's band from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Christian):

Initially reluctant to hire Christian, due in part to the fact that electric guitar was a relatively new instrument, Goodman was so impressed by Christian's playing that he changed his mind.

The story of their meeting on August 16, 1939 is notable: an encounter that afternoon at the recording studio had not gone well, but Hammond decided to try again: without consulting Goodman, he installed Christian on the bandstand for that night's set at the Victor Hugo restaurant in Los Angeles. Displeased at the surprise, Goodman called "Rose Room", a tune he assumed that Christian would be unfamiliar with. After listening to the changes a couple of times, Christian came in with his solo — which was to be the first of about twenty, all of them different, all unlike anything Goodman had heard before. That version of "Rose Room" lasted forty minutes; by its end, Christian was in the band. In the course of a few days, Christian went from making $2.50 a night to making $150 a week.

Charlie Christian Avenue will be in the eastern part of Bricktown, a north-south street east of the ballpark, which interestingly sits partly on the site of the original Douglass School, a school attended by Christian while growing up in OKC. The street was formerly known as Byers, and will continue to have the Byers name where it picks back up south of the river.

Most of you will have a pretty good idea about who Vince Gill is, of course, but his selection was especially timely due to his Centennial involvement. Gill, along with Jimmy Webb, wrote Oklahoma Rising, the new Centennial song honoring Oklahoma.

"Vince Gill Avenue" will replace the north-south "Central Avenue" for a half-block north of the ballpark, deadending on Sheridan and Main Streets.

The Lips, of course, are my personal favorites. The selection wasn't without some controversy, but the Grammy Award winning band prevailed with some help from the Greater Oklahoma City Area Chamber of Commerce, the Oklahoma Department of Tourism, The Oklahoma Film and Music Office, Downtown Oklahoma City Incorporated, the Convention and Visitors Bureau, and a letter from the president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland.

Flaming Lips Alley will be the new name for a previously unnamed alley which runs east-west from the BNSF railroad tracks to east of the ballpark, and is located on the half-block between the canal and Sheridan.

Congratulations to all of them, and to OKC for embracing our unique contributions to popular culture!

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/5/2006, 02:01 PM
That's seriously very awesome.

BigRedJed
12/5/2006, 02:07 PM
That's seriously very awesome.
Agree!

bri
12/5/2006, 02:17 PM
I can't believe you guys named a street after the drunk guy from Texas Tech. ;)

And w00t for Flaming Lips Alley!

Rhino
12/5/2006, 02:17 PM
Glad it finally got approved.

dolemitesooner
12/5/2006, 02:18 PM
When are you going to name a street Radiohead

Viking Kitten
12/5/2006, 02:43 PM
Does this mean no "Colour Me Badd" Alley?

THIS IS BULLS**T, MAN!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:(

King Crimson
12/5/2006, 05:04 PM
Charlie Christian was a direct influence (though, obviously on a different instrument) on Charlie Parker and John Coltrane.....and such.

KC//CRIMSON
12/5/2006, 11:07 PM
Does this mean no "Chainsaw Kittens" Blvd?

THIS *HIT IS UNACCEPTABLE!

bri
12/6/2006, 12:25 AM
I think it'd be a nice touch if they named the alley that Zac Malloy panhandles in "The Nixons Alley".

Soonerchaz
12/6/2006, 01:28 AM

Heh.

I think "Defenestration Way" has a good ring to it.

Seriously...cool for the Lips.

OklaPony
12/6/2006, 10:36 AM
I thought it was really cool to see The Lips get their due. I remember seeing those guys play for a buddy's birthday party in his living room in about '84 or so. I'm not exactly on the same plane as they are politcally but I gotta give it up to 'em for sticking to doing things their way, no matter what.

Here's some more not-so-serious suggestions, I could probably come up with a few dozen!

"Fingers" Terrace

"Jimmy Swat" Street

"Shut Up And Dance" Boulevard

"Wakeland" Way

"Dirt Poet" Drive

"Xebec" Avenue

OklaPony
12/6/2006, 10:40 AM
Heh.

I think "Defenestration Way" has a good ring to it.

Seriously...cool for the Lips.
Wow, that brings back some memories. I remember running sound for them (and later for The Kittens) and thinking "How can I keep Tyson from blowing up my speakers?" Compressors were my best friend then.

That was a really interesting time in the local music scene.

BigRedJed
12/6/2006, 01:22 PM
When are you going to name a street Radiohead
As soon as they're from Oklahoma City instead of England.

BigRedJed
12/6/2006, 01:25 PM

:(
Uh, they sucked.

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 01:27 PM
Toby Keith Tollway?

BigRedJed
12/6/2006, 01:28 PM

THIS *HIT IS UNACCEPTABLE!
Norman band.

BigRedJed
12/6/2006, 01:29 PM
Toby Keith Tollway?
Moore.

bri
12/6/2006, 01:30 PM
Wow, this is the lamest episode of Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego ever.

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 01:30 PM
Moore.

Okay.

Toby Keith Dr
Toby Keith Ave

I think you get the picture.

SoonerInKCMO
12/6/2006, 01:33 PM
Glass Pyramid Boulevard?

Viking Kitten
12/6/2006, 02:18 PM
So sad how true artists like Colour Me Badd are never appreciated in their own lifetimes. 200, nay, 500 years from now, we'll all be dead, yet "I Want to Sex You Up" will be as ubiquitous as a child's nursery rhyme. The lasting influence of that multi-cultural quartet of scrappy young lads will enshroud the millennia, I tell you. Colour Me Badd didn't produce cash cow "hit singles" like your Garth Brooks or your Vince Gills or your Flaming Lips. They were looking for something more ethereal. Their aim was to make music that speaks to the eternal soul.

And I personally want to thank the Kenny G-looking guy, the George Michael-looking guy, the Milli Vanilli-looking guy and the other one for forever marking 1991 as the year of greatest musical substance since, well really ever.

KC//CRIMSON
12/6/2006, 02:23 PM
The Flaming Lips have hit singles? Who knew?;)

BigRedJed
12/7/2006, 09:18 AM
ONE hit single. ONE.

BigRedJed
12/7/2006, 09:19 AM
But you knew that.

BigRedJed
12/7/2006, 09:33 AM
It's brought some great coverage from outlets like:

Washington Post
Seattle Post Intelligencer
Canada.com
Vacouver Sun
CBS News, NY
USA Today
San Francisco Chronicle
FOX News (national, not an affiliate)
Forbes magazine
Montreal Gazette

Much of the coverage has been along the lines of this article from The Desert Sun (http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061207/LIFESTYLES01/612070326/1050) Palm Springs California:

Flaming Lips get hometown honor
Already responsible for one of the signature moments in Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival history (frontman Wayne Coyne's legendary bubble walk in 2004), Oklahoma City's Flaming Lips will soon receive a fitting tribute from their hometown.

On Tuesday, the city council voted to designate an alley in the city's Bricktown area in honor of the band, as well as two streets for country singer Vince Gill and jazz great Charlie Christian, both Oklahoma City natives.

Coyne said the honor means a lot to The Flaming Lips, who got their start in in 1983.

"So many bands despise their hometowns," Coyne said. "I guess we're just lucky or it never felt that way to us. Oklahoma City never rejected us. Even though we want to play Los Angeles or London, we weren't doing it to say we don't like where we came from."

1stTimeCaller
12/7/2006, 09:40 AM
Coyne said the honor means a lot to The Flaming Lips, who got their start in in 1983.
"So many bands despise their hometowns," Coyne said. "I guess we're just lucky or it never felt that way to us. Oklahoma City never rejected us. Even though we want to play Los Angeles or London, we weren't doing it to say we don't like where we came from."

That's awesome.

BigRedJed
12/7/2006, 09:49 AM
Good lord, I f'd up that post pretty good. Maybe it's more readable now.

Viking Kitten
12/7/2006, 10:18 AM
But you knew that.

I'm sorry... did you say something? I was busy listening to Colour Me Badd's 1991 masterpiece and swan song "C.M.B" while softly weeping.

Fugue
12/7/2006, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry... did you say something? I was busy listening to Colour Me Badd's 1991 masterpiece and swan song "C.M.B" while softly weeping.

Ima start some drama if you keep bringing up cmb. I've got that "all for love(or whatever)" song stuck in my head and its your fault. :D

SoonerInKCMO
12/7/2006, 10:36 AM
Ima start some drama if you keep bringing up cmb. I've got that "all for love(or whatever)" song stuck in my head and its your fault. :D

At least it's not "I Adore, Mi Amore" like it is for some of us. :mad:

Viking Kitten
12/7/2006, 10:37 AM
First of all Fugue, I am going to insist the CMB, as well as all pronouns referring to Them, be capitalized from here on out, so that we may properly display our reverence for Their music.

Fugue
12/7/2006, 10:51 AM
First of all Fugue, I am going to insist the CMB, as well as all pronouns referring to Them, be capitalized from here on out, so that we may properly display our reverence for Their music.

you know, you've done this to me twice now. my freakin' humps and now Color Me Wiggles

SoonerInKCMO
12/7/2006, 10:54 AM
I think VK had/has a crush on the Kenny G-looking guy. :norm:

sooneron
12/7/2006, 11:19 AM
It's about time in the case of Charlie Christian. He was probably THE early guitar influence evar! OKC Blue Devils were bad ***!

I'm also happy for the Lips.

Zac Malloy is panhandling these days??

Rhino
12/7/2006, 11:28 AM
Kudos to Ward 3 councilman Larry McAtee for being the sole 'no' vote to this because The Flaming Lips don't agree with his political views.

Yeesh.

sooneron
12/7/2006, 11:33 AM
Will anyone answer my Zac Malloy question???

It's important! I used to heckle them!!

OklaPony
12/7/2006, 12:14 PM
Will anyone answer my Zac Malloy question???

It's important! I used to heckle them!!
I seriously doubt it. I haven't spoken with him in a couple of years but if memory serves he moved to Tulsa a while back after living in Dallas for several years. I still run into Ricky every now and then, he lives here in Norman.

Rhino
12/7/2006, 12:39 PM
Zac mostly writes and records these days. He's had a lot of songs make appearances on TV shows. Wrote half of Bowling For Soup's new album.

http://www.zacmaloy.com/
http://www.myspace.com/zacmaloy

BigRedJed
12/7/2006, 04:46 PM
Now, back to non-washed-up OKC rocker news: today nominations for the 49th annual Grammy Awards were announced. The Flaming Lips were nominated for three Grammys, including Best Alternative Music Album (http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/49th_Show/list.aspx#05), Best Rock Instrumental Performance (http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/49th_Show/list.aspx#04), and Best Production, Non-classical (http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/49th_Show/list.aspx#27).

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/7/2006, 04:48 PM
And I think THAT'S seriously awesome, too!

Yay, Lips!

BigRedJed
12/7/2006, 04:53 PM
Vince Gill was also nominated for Best Male Country Vocal Performance. Pretty good timing on that street renaming thing, I'm thinking. I'm still looking for Doc Blues' nomination. He's the Bricktown property owner who was protesting the street naming and purportedly said he's ten times the musician the Lips are. I'll let you guys know as soon as I find it.

royalfan5
12/7/2006, 05:55 PM
Zac mostly writes and records these days. He's had a lot of songs make appearances on TV shows. Wrote half of Bowling For Soup's new album.

Is writing half of Bowling for Soups new album something you really want to put on your resume.

BigRedJed
12/7/2006, 06:04 PM

The shirt he's wearing on the "media" page of his website is enough for me. Tool.

Jeopardude
12/7/2006, 07:40 PM
The shirt he's wearing on the "media" page of his website is enough for me. Tool.

The Nixons were responsible for the greatest marketing gimmick ever-- spraypainting their name on dumpsters in Norman. :rolleyes:

BigRedJed
12/8/2006, 12:04 PM
Is writing half of Bowling for Soups new album something you really want to put on your resume.
It is if you're a has-been ripoff artist.

sooneron
12/8/2006, 12:12 PM
It is if you're a has-been ripoff artist.
But I thought they were the first to name their album by the number of songs on it?? Zac told me that Pearl Jam ripped them off.:rolleyes:

sooneron
12/8/2006, 12:15 PM
Uh, the music doesn't do it?

BigRedJed
12/8/2006, 12:15 PM
Are you serious? Did he really say that? If Zac said Pearl Jam ripped them off it would be some of the richest irony I've ever heard.

sooneron
12/8/2006, 12:19 PM
Are you serious? Did he really say that? If Zac said Pearl Jam ripped them off it would be some of the richest irony I've ever heard.
I believe it was somewhat tongue in cheek as he needed some way NOT to look like the one ripping PJ off. He was so brooding and contemplative!

This pic makes me still want to throat punch him.

http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/731/chairsmallerreshg7.jpg

BigRedJed
12/8/2006, 12:26 PM
I about got into a fight with Zac one time when I commented that he sure had his "Bonoisms" down pat. That was shortly before he switched to "Stipeisms," and a few years before he became a dead ringer for Eddie Vedder. My least favorite period, I think, was their Soundgarden period.

What sucks is that when they were a cover band switching to original material they were my favorite local band. I loved One By One. I thought they could be amazing. At worst, they should have been what Matchbox 20 became (I'm certainly not saying MB20 was a great band or anything...). Retiring Never Been To Spain from their sets was the first sign of things to come.

And that pic makes me wonder when he started ripping KD Lang off. Nice haircut, tool.

King Crimson
12/8/2006, 12:56 PM
i actually looked at his myspace page and that under "influences" there were none....i confirmed what i already thought.

even other "writers" have the reality to say Marc Bolan or Alex Chilton...or SOMETHING.

BigRedJed
12/8/2006, 01:02 PM
What.

A.

Tool.

Gah. All of this Zac nonsense is bringing down my thread. Now I want to one-star it.

sooneron
12/8/2006, 01:04 PM
KD Lang, Heh!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/8/2006, 04:31 PM

:(39th Street

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/8/2006, 04:34 PM
Okay.

Toby Keith Dr
Toby Keith Ave

I think you get the picture.Done. Unfortunately. What about

Hanson Avenue in Tulsa.

BigRedJed
12/8/2006, 04:35 PM
Done. Unfortunately...
Maybe in Moore. Not in Flaming Lips land, though!

OklaPony
12/8/2006, 06:51 PM
I about got into a fight with Zac one time when I commented that he sure had his "Bonoisms" down pat. That was shortly before he switched to "Stipeisms," and a few years before he became a dead ringer for Eddie Vedder. My least favorite period, I think, was their Soundgarden period.

What sucks is that when they were a cover band switching to original material they were my favorite local band. I loved One By One. I thought they could be amazing. At worst, they should have been what Matchbox 20 became (I'm certainly not saying MB20 was a great band or anything...). Retiring Never Been To Spain from their sets was the first sign of things to come.

And that pic makes me wonder when he started ripping KD Lang off. Nice haircut, tool.
Do you remember the name of the band before it was The Nixons? Seems like it was a 3 or 4 word monicker that I always thought was, well... just weird. I ran sound for them a bunch back then when I wasn't playing a gig of my own but I can't think of that name to save my life.

sooneron
12/8/2006, 11:11 PM
All the rage? They weren't the nixons

A2Z was the best cover band in Normantown.

OklaPony
12/9/2006, 05:14 PM
All the rage? They weren't the nixons

A2Z was the best cover band in Normantown.
ROFL!!!

Nope, definitely not All The Rage but I'm flattered that you remember us!
We eventually became The Dirt Poets.

A2Z, wow that brings back some memories. The first time I ran sound for them they were still in High School.

Man, this is just too weird.

Jeopardude
12/9/2006, 06:24 PM
Do you remember the name of the band before it was The Nixons? Seems like it was a 3 or 4 word monicker that I always thought was, well... just weird. I ran sound for them a bunch back then when I wasn't playing a gig of my own but I can't think of that name to save my life.

Don't know why I'd remember this, but was it Is That An Animal?

OklaPony
12/9/2006, 06:40 PM
Don't know why I'd remember this, but was it Is That An Animal?
Yep, that's it! Good memory, I just couldn't remember that one.

sooneron
12/9/2006, 06:59 PM
I liked Dirt Poets.

BTW Pony, Matt (keyboard/guitar) of A2z was my lil bro. I think he's with a country band these days.

OklaPony
12/9/2006, 11:15 PM
I liked Dirt Poets.
Thanks, it's nice to know someone actually listened and still remembers after so many years. That was a really interesting time. Lots of cool gigs, lots of miles travelled, etc. We had some pretty serious momentum built up at one time.

BTW Pony, Matt (keyboard/guitar) of A2z was my lil bro. I think he's with a country band these days.
I haven't seen him in several years but I'll bet he's doing well in whatever.

Small world, huh?

Rhino
12/10/2006, 01:13 PM
I've heard of Dirt Poets, but it was before my time. If you have some music on CD, you need to set up a nostalgic mypace music page. Lots of old local bands are doing that now.

OklaPony
12/10/2006, 05:39 PM
Dave's done some of that since he continued pursuing performance, production, and recording as a vocation and has done pretty well for himself. To the best of my knowledge that's the only way to get the ATR / Dirt Poet stuff. The ATR recording was a 6 song EP that we did in '88 and, considering the conditions we recorded in, is at least half-decent although it's probably gonna sound pretty dated by today's standards. It does have a couple of really good songs, though. The Dirt Poet recording that I was on was the first one, The Other Side Of Blue, and I actually still pop that one in the CD player about once a year, it was recorded in excellent conditions and is a pretty good sounding disc. Here's a link to his site if you're interested:

http://www.davidlon.com/store.html

I haven't read through the entire site so enter at your own risk.

sooneron
12/10/2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks, it's nice to know someone actually listened and still remembers after so many years. That was a really interesting time. Lots of cool gigs, lots of miles travelled, etc. We had some pretty serious momentum built up at one time.

Yeah, I saw you guys do a pretty big show at Rome/Edge back around Spring 90.

bri
12/10/2006, 09:48 PM
I love watching the hipsters smack around The Nixons. :D

OklaPony
12/11/2006, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I saw you guys do a pretty big show at Rome/Edge back around Spring 90.
That would've been Dirt Poets rev. 1.0 when we were working with a producer by the name of Alvin Clark.

I'm amazed you can remember that! You must've been one of the 3 sober people that were there. :D

OklaPony
12/11/2006, 02:12 AM
I love watching the hipsters smack around The Nixons. :D
Everyone has their preferences I guess. Personally, I was really happy to see them gain the success that they did. Whether you like them or not I can tell you with 100% certainty that they worked their asses off to get their act together. Here's a bit of trivia that you couldn't possibly find anywhere else:

We auditioned Jesse and Ricky in the summer of 1988(?) (separately and unbeknownst to each other... I don't think they even knew each other at the time) in the pre-Nixons / ITAA era and wouldn't hire either one for All The Rage. They were both nice enough but at the time neither were able to perform on their instruments at the level that we demanded. Lo and behold within a couple years they'd hooked up, practiced like there was no tomorrow and ended up with a concise, cohesive show that obviously struck a chord with a ton of people.

The stuff they were cranking out wasn't really my cup of tea but knowing full well the difficulties involved in finding success in the music biz, I say kudos to them.

bri
12/11/2006, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I was at OU when they moved to Dallas and signed their deal. The backlash was amusing in how instant it was. It was like this:

Norman: We love the Nixons!
Nixons: Guess what, guys? Your support and our hard work got us a record deal! We have to move to Dallas now to make the album.
Norman: You guys ****in' SUCK!

:D

sooneron
12/11/2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I was at OU when they moved to Dallas and signed their deal. The backlash was amusing in how instant it was. It was like this:

Norman: We love the Nixons!
Nixons: Guess what, guys? Your support and our hard work got us a record deal! We have to move to Dallas now to make the album.
Norman: You guys ****in' SUCK!

:D
Meh, I was heckling them at the smelly when they were still a cover band, cuz Zac was a ****** to some chicks that I knew. It was when he was in his "jim morrison fire phase" :rolleyes: .

BigRedJed
12/11/2006, 01:12 PM
Meh, I was heckling them at the smelly when they were still a cover band, cuz Zac was a ******...
Fixed.

I didn't hate on the Nixons because of the move to Dallas, I hated on them long before that. I was one of the people who liked them clear back when they were Is That An Animal and Zac was sporting his LXA ballcap at shows and was wearing his hair short. They were a band that, had they stayed true to themselves, I would have kept loving, despite the fact that Zac was a ******. The reason I stopped liking them was because they started lunging at whatever musical style was producing the hits of that particular month. It was interesting (and sad) to see their "original" stuff become more derivative than their cover songs, which they initially managed to make their own live.

As for A2Z, they were also one of my favorite local bands ever. I think they reformed for a while later as 100 Suns, which was also a nice band.

I was also a BIG fan of All The Rage. I bounced back and forth quite a bit between Norman and OKC, so I also saw lots of shows at places like Sipango, VZD's and the Samurai. I remember one ATR show at the Samurai really well, kind of towards the end of ATR's lifespan, I think. They opened with U2's Where The Streets Have No Name, and I just remember the guitar surging into the intro for what seemed like ten minutes. Great show. I sortof missed the boat on Dirt Poets. I saw them a few times, but I probably would be more into them now than I was then, if they were still around. I've also seen Dave's show a few times, and really enjoy it.

The Wake (Wakeland) were also some of my local favorites. They were great to listen to, in a Gin Blossoms sort of way.

While not musically as gifted as the other bands mentioned, Stiff Richard was another show that I loved going to. All kinds of fun. And since everybody knows I like the gay, Petshop Boys, Erasure, New Order and Depeche Mode music, it shouldn't be any surprise that another show I LOVED was KGB. Saw those guys many, many times and danced my *** off.

OklaPony
12/11/2006, 04:20 PM
I was also a BIG fan of All The Rage. I bounced back and forth quite a bit between Norman and OKC, so I also saw lots of shows at places like Sipango, VZD's and the Samurai. I remember one ATR show at the Samurai really well, kind of towards the end of ATR's lifespan, I think. They opened with U2's Where The Streets Have No Name, and I just remember the guitar surging into the intro for what seemed like ten minutes. Great show. I sortof missed the boat on Dirt Poets. I saw them a few times, but I probably would be more into them now than I was then, if they were still around. I've also seen Dave's show a few times, and really enjoy it.
Wow. I can't tell you how much it blows me away that anyone remembers us that well. Thanks dude, you can have my Bud Light. :)

While not musically as gifted as the other bands mentioned, Stiff Richard was another show that I loved going to.
There was one particular version of Irish's band that was unfrickin' believable in the holy-****-those-guys-can-play department. It was around 1991 or so (shortly before the time that Irish exited the band) and consisted of Jeff Cole on Guitar, Derrick Gulikers on Bass, and Greg Upchurch on Drums. Those guys absolutely tore it up! Greg has done extremely well for himself... he's toured and recorded with Chris Cornell, Puddle Of Mudd, 3 Doors Down, and Eleven.

BigRedJed
12/11/2006, 06:17 PM
Yeah, and when I mean "not as musically gifted," I really don't mean as far as their playing. Most of those other bands, though, were sprinkling in some interesting original material and trying their hands at songwriting. They also were covering stuff that was a bit more obscure and interesting to me. Stiff Richard was more of a balls-out rock cover band. I just thought that the fun they had onstage was so contagious that it made their show worth going to.

BigRedJed
12/14/2006, 04:14 PM
http://www.8secondchallenge.com/soonerfans/IMAGE_00106.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/14/2006, 04:20 PM
That...so...rules.

OklaPony
12/14/2006, 04:29 PM
Very nice.

BigRedJed
12/14/2006, 06:06 PM
The OKC seal is a nice touch, too.

Czar Soonerov
12/14/2006, 06:12 PM
If that sign comes up missing, I know where to look.

LilSooner
12/14/2006, 06:23 PM
If they ever make a Hinder Avenue I ****ing leaving this state.

Czar Soonerov
12/14/2006, 06:39 PM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3721/flacmbkp7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BigRedJed
12/14/2006, 06:50 PM
Heh. That's both hilarious and frightening. Good jorb!

bri
12/14/2006, 06:52 PM
If they had half a clue, they'd sell replicas of that sign in an effort to forstall any thievery. Not that it'd really stop anyone, but I'd like to have one, and I hate vandalism.

BigRedJed
12/14/2006, 06:54 PM
Don't worry. It's in the works.

BigRedJed
12/14/2006, 06:55 PM
And for the sake of clarification, did you mean that you'd like to have a Flaming Lips sign, or a Color Me Badd sign?

bri
12/14/2006, 06:57 PM
Why can't I have both? I support ALL local artists, past and present.

Except, of course, for Hinder. Hinder sucks *ss.

BigRedJed
12/14/2006, 06:59 PM
I think the Hinder sign belongs in Choctaw, anyway.

bri
12/14/2006, 07:14 PM
Heh, I love that you're the Band Hometown Police. :D

Rhino
12/14/2006, 10:35 PM
I think the Hinder sign belongs in Choctaw, anyway. Edmond is responsible for that ridiculousness.

BigRedJed
12/15/2006, 10:11 AM
I guess I was wrong about Choctaw. I was thinking Jones. But seriously, Edmond, Choctaw, Jones, anywhere but OKC.

SoonerInKCMO
12/15/2006, 10:25 AM
What is that jar that replaced the OKC seal on the Lips sign?

OklaPony
12/15/2006, 10:41 AM
What is that jar that replaced the OKC seal on the Lips sign?
Well duhhhh...

It's Vaseline, of course! She don't use jelly, dude.

Rhino
12/15/2006, 10:52 AM
I guess I was wrong about Choctaw. I was thinking Jones. But seriously, Edmond, Choctaw, Jones, anywhere but OKC. For some reason Jones sounds familiar now, but I know three of them are from Edmond, one from Woodward. The other might be Jonesin'.

SoonerInKCMO
12/15/2006, 10:57 AM
Well duhhhh...

It's Vaseline, of course! She don't use jelly, dude.

Oh, yeah. :O