PDA

View Full Version : Burgers in Oklahoma....

OUAndy1807
12/5/2006, 01:06 PM
Homey's thread about NPR (and Hamburger King) got me thinking. I visited Hamburger king today and I can think of 3 or 4 places in OK that I think are better:

* Burgess Grill in Lawton
* J&W's in Chickasha (onion burgers)
* Ron's Hamburgers (Tulsa, Midwest City, OKC)
* Irma's Burger Shack (OKC)

What are some more good burger places around the state?

Mongo
12/5/2006, 01:09 PM
Sid's in Moore sells some of the best onion burgers. The Filling Station in Prague sells a burger the size of a hub cap

Where is Irma's at?

OUAndy1807
12/5/2006, 01:10 PM
it's just East of 63rd and Western. It's kind of a yuppie joint, but they have great burgers.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 01:11 PM
There is an Onion Burger place in El Reno near the High School. It's been a while, so I don't know if anything has changed. It was great.

Can't remember the name.

Widescreen
12/5/2006, 01:17 PM
Goldie's. Man, I miss those burgers.

OULOVE
12/5/2006, 01:19 PM
I will vote for the Mears burger down by Fort Sill as one of the best burgers in Oklahoma.

IB4OU2
12/5/2006, 01:26 PM
I will vote for the Mears burger down by Fort Sill as one of the best burgers in Oklahoma.

Excellent choice! plus a great little day trip to get there.

OUAndy1807
12/5/2006, 01:33 PM
Meers has dimished greatly in quality in the last 15 years or so.

Flagstaffsooner
12/5/2006, 01:43 PM
Is Big Ed's still around?

Mongo
12/5/2006, 01:45 PM
Is Big Ed's still around?

If that was the one off of 89th and Western, no. Isnt Big Ed's the one that served up the family burger?

Flagstaffsooner
12/5/2006, 01:48 PM
If that was the one off of 89th and Western, no. Isnt Big Ed's the one that served up the family burger?I think that was it. There was also one on May around NW 25.

OULOVE
12/5/2006, 01:56 PM
Meers has dimished greatly in quality in the last 15 years or so.

I am sorry to hear that. The buffalo and view from the summit of Mt. Scott is worth the trip.

Rhino
12/5/2006, 02:07 PM
I'm telling you. VZDs (http://www.vzds.com/).

TUSooner
12/5/2006, 02:42 PM
I'm telling you. VZDs (http://www.vzds.com/).
Others may be better, but I don't know. I do know that the burger I had at VZD's one day last fall (w/2 esteemed SF.com posters) was the best hamburger I have ever eaten.

TopDaugIn2000
12/5/2006, 02:49 PM
it's not in okie land, but there is NO BETTER BURGER than Ronnie's in Wichita Falls, TX. NONE.

Petro-Sooner
12/5/2006, 02:50 PM
Sooner Dairy, Norman

C&CDean
12/5/2006, 03:52 PM
I feel so much better that not one of you hillbillies said "Johnnies." Johnnie's has the lamest burgers for the most money of any place out there.

I like Kendall's (super burger w/jalapenos), and Ruby's Inn in Purcell (double cheeseburger).

OUAndy1807
12/5/2006, 03:57 PM
Is Kendall's back in their old place in Noble now? I haven't ever been there and not gotten a chicken fried steak.

also, Sooner Dairy is quality.

PhilTLL
12/5/2006, 03:59 PM
Irma's II is going up near 10th/Walker, around St. Anthony's. And, the "Big Ed's" at NW 27th/May is now "Barry's."

Earl's cheddar burger makes me groan involuntarily sometimes. I wish their fries were still good. Charcoal Oven fell on hard times, but got new ownership 4-5 years ago and is really good again, at least the one at NW Expwy/Villa. Can't vouch for Expwy/Macarthur.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 04:00 PM
I don't know how accidents like this happen.........

One of the best burgers I ever had was from Braum's. They are usually good, but I got a fantastic one once.

Same goes for Fuddruckers. One time it was just better than usual.

Probably due to a chemical imbalance or something.

soonerloyal
12/5/2006, 04:09 PM
Is The Plantation over in Medicine Park still in business? Their burgers were pretty good. But their fried chicken was awesome.

1stTimeCaller
12/5/2006, 04:17 PM
I happen to enjoy a #1 with cheese from Johnnie's. Why do they suck?

OUAndy1807
12/5/2006, 04:24 PM
for fast food hamurgers, Braums is the absolute best.

the Old Plantation in Medicine Park closed down about 7 or so years ago. There has been a real revitalization of that area recently due in large part to the bikers that come down to ride in the Wichitas, and someone is currently that old restaurant.

Mjcpr
12/5/2006, 04:27 PM
for fast food hamurgers, Braums is the absolute best.

They're good, but I kinda like Burger King for fast food.

IB4OU2
12/5/2006, 04:37 PM
I feel so much better that not one of you hillbillies said "Johnnies." Johnnie's has the lamest burgers for the most money of any place out there.

I like Kendall's (super burger w/jalapenos), and Ruby's Inn in Purcell (double cheeseburger).

Johnies just plain succs.... I've only eaten there once and I swore I would never go back.

Bloomer_Sooner
12/5/2006, 04:50 PM
The Circle H store on Spade Mountain just off SH 51 has some kick *** home-style burgers.

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 04:59 PM
johnnies does not suck

they may not be the BEST burger, but they dont suck

mxATVracer10
12/5/2006, 05:07 PM
Here in Tulsa the best I've found is Bogey's Hamburgers @ 41st and Garnett. It's a little mom and pop shop, and they are as friendly as can be. $5 will get you a kick @$$ burger and a basket full of home made curly fries.

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 05:10 PM
best burger i ever had was in san antonio at "Little Hipps".....now closed

Chesters in san antonio makes a damn good burger too

IB4OU2
12/5/2006, 05:19 PM
johnnies does not suck

they may not be the BEST burger, but they dont suck

To me they do...but I'm not a fan of pickles and BBQ sauce on burgers and they are very much overpriced.

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 05:21 PM
you can order them however you like, they dont ALL come with bbq and pickles...

IB4OU2
12/5/2006, 05:29 PM
you can order them however you like, they dont ALL come with bbq and pickles...

Maybe I just had a bad experience with the Johnies in Tulsa.

A few places I think make good burgers are Chili's, Goldies and Hanks just north of 11th and Lewis in Tulsa.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 05:35 PM
best burger i ever had was in san antonio at "Little Hipps".....now closed

Chesters in san antonio makes a damn good burger too
Chesters is good.

Good Time Charlies is good also.

There's actually a new place not far from me named Chunkies.

The Big Chunk Burger has queso with a little jalepeno in it, bacon, and an onion ring on it. All their burgers are 1/2 lb or bigger. Good Stuff. Their fries and rings are frozen unfortunately.

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 05:36 PM
not everybody likes johnnies but if they "sucked", they wouldnt be as successful as they are

i love them and wish like hell they'd open up one here in the dallas area

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 05:37 PM
The Chuck Burger at Del Rancho is a thing of beauty.

Double meat, double cheese, chili and sweet relish.

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 05:37 PM
Chesters is good.

Good Time Charlies is good also.

There's actually a new place not far from me named Chunkies.

The Big Chunk Burger has queso with a little jalepeno in it, bacon, and an onion ring on it. All their burgers are 1/2 lb or bigger. Good Stuff. Their fries and rings are frozen unfortunately.

i hated good time charlies.....most overrated food in san antonio imo

did you ever eat at little hipps before it closed?

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 05:40 PM
i hated good time charlies.....most overrated food in san antonio imo

did you ever eat at little hipps before it closed?
No, but I'm loyal to GTC. My favorite chicken fried steak I've found down here.
Good onion rings. Excellent chicken tenders. I've never had a bad meal there. When I think of over rated, I think of expensive and not worth it. It's pretty reasonable. Overrated = Jailhouse Cafe.

IB4OU2
12/5/2006, 05:41 PM
not everybody likes johnnies but if they "sucked", they wouldnt be as successful as they are

i love them and wish like hell they'd open up one here in the dallas area

The one here (Stlwtr) closed down after being open for about 6 months, I don't know if the one at about 21st and Harvard in Tulsa is still there but I don't think it is.

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 05:42 PM
Overrated = Jailhouse Cafe.

you are dead to me

Widescreen
12/5/2006, 05:42 PM
Burger Street

[Nate Newton]Double the Meat, Double the Cheese, Double the Absolute Pleasure![/Nate Newton]

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 05:45 PM
you are dead to me
Perhaps you like your CFS pounded out so thin that it's as big as a pizza. The cinnamon rolls didn't impress me other than the size. Not to mention we battled gnats the whole time we were trying to eat.

I like GTC's cut. Smaller in diameter but with some thickness.

Mjcpr
12/5/2006, 05:46 PM
Perhaps you like your CFS pounded out so thin that it's as big as a pizza. The cinnamon rolls didn't impress me other than the size.

I like GTC's cut. Smaller in diameter but with some thickness.

Are we still talking about chicken fried steak?

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 05:47 PM
Are we still talking about chicken fried steak?
You'd like for it to go somewhere else, wouldn't you?

1stTimeCaller
12/5/2006, 05:58 PM
The one here (Stlwtr) closed down after being open for about 6 months, I don't know if the one at about 21st and Harvard in Tulsa is still there but I don't think it is.

it was a month ago. mmmmmm it was tasty too!!!

IB4OU2
12/5/2006, 06:02 PM
it was a month ago. mmmmmm it was tasty too!!!

yuck...;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2006, 06:15 PM
Atoka Truck Stop!!!!

1stTimeCaller
12/5/2006, 06:21 PM
Atoka Truck Stop!!!!

where is that at? I might try it tonight.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2006, 06:24 PM
In Atoka...imagine that ;)

Seriously if you don't like greasy food...dont go but if you do it is by the Wal Mart(That's right 24 Hour Anti-Super Wal-Mart)

1stTimeCaller
12/5/2006, 06:26 PM
heh, the anti-super WalMart. Is it on the same side of the road? Towards town or away?

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2006, 06:28 PM
Towards Town, right next to Love's....can't miss it...there will be at least 20 trucks parked around it :P The only thing on the other side of the Road is Dr. Rippee's ridicously expensive house ;)

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 06:29 PM
Thread jackers.

This Okie burger thread is about CFS in San Antonio.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2006, 06:30 PM
Make sure to get the Double Meat Ground Round Cheeseburger, and the Onion Rings are supposedly awesome, I hate Onions so I wouldn't know :P

1stTimeCaller
12/5/2006, 06:34 PM
Towards Town, right next to Love's....can't miss it...there will be at least 20 trucks parked around it :P The only thing on the other side of the Road is Dr. Rippee's ridicously expensive house ;)

who lives in the hotel sized house on the other end of town? That's not Charles the banker's house is it?

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah I get the two bankers mixed up it is either, Charles' or David's

1stTimeCaller
12/5/2006, 06:42 PM
Charles is 34ish and has a smokin hawt wife.

BudSooner
12/5/2006, 06:55 PM
Hanks just north of 11th and Lewis in Tulsa.

:les: THERE'S DOG IN THEM THAR BURGERS!!!

:D

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2006, 06:58 PM
Well see that is the problem...David is like 40 something with a smokin hawt wife :P

OUTromBoNado
12/5/2006, 07:23 PM
I can't believe nobody has brought up Weber's Root Beer in Tulsa. Good burgers, even better root beer. When my dad was a kid, he lived near that family west of Tulsa.

Goldie's = all about the pickle bar
Ron's = all about the Sausage Cheeseburger (they have good fried okra too)

Sooner Traveler
12/5/2006, 07:34 PM
Murphys in Bartlesville

Petro-Sooner
12/5/2006, 08:08 PM
Murphys in Bartlesville

Thats the place over on the west side of town right? If so, I'm not sure what the name of it was, but basically a burger covered with fires covered in gravy correct? What ever it was it is damn good.

Boomer.....
12/6/2006, 08:44 AM
I didn't think that Weber's was exceptional, but it was good. As far as chili cheese burgers go, you cannot beat Johnnies.

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2006, 08:45 AM
I didn't think that Weber's was exceptional, but it was good. As far as chili cheese burgers go, you cannot beat Johnnies.
Del Ranchos Chuck Burger kicks Johnnies in the nuts.

OSUHeifer
12/6/2006, 08:59 AM
The Weber's guy died.

Okla-homey
12/6/2006, 09:06 AM
My fav is still "Hamburger Inn" in Ardmore, the town of my birth. Its prolly as much about nostalgia as it is about flavor.

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/2655/ppppppppppppppppppppppppf5.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6107/pppppppppppppppppppppppml8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

1stTimeCaller
12/6/2006, 09:08 AM
Is that Howzit over by the Coca Cola sign?

Okla-homey
12/6/2006, 09:12 AM
Is that Howzit over by the Coca Cola sign?

No, that's Dennis Franchione. Word is he was sniffing around to see if the Ardmore High School head coaching job was in play.

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 09:49 AM
It sounds to me like jk doesn't know **** about good hamburgers. Johnnie's is a) way over priced, and b) average at best. The reason they are successful is that they've got a big following/clientele of people who think a good burger is one that is dry, bland, and very generic.

I've given Johnnie's several opportunities to change my mind. I've tried several different locations. I've tried several different hamburgers there. Their onion rings are pretty good, but when I eat a hamburger, onion rings, and my wife gets a kid's burger and fries, and our bill is $20, you'd expect a damn good burger. They ain't. I've had much better burgers at Braum's, Sonic, and most little Conoco gas stations with grills.

Boomerang is the same way. They suck too.

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 09:54 AM
It sounds to me like jk doesn't know **** about good hamburgers. Johnnie's is a) way over priced, and b) average at best. The reason they are successful is that they've got a big following/clientele of people who think a good burger is one that is dry, bland, and very generic.

I've given Johnnie's several opportunities to change my mind. I've tried several different locations. I've tried several different hamburgers there. Their onion rings are pretty good, but when I eat a hamburger, onion rings, and my wife gets a kid's burger and fries, and our bill is $20, you'd expect a damn good burger. They ain't. I've had much better burgers at Braum's, Sonic, and most little Conoco gas stations with grills.

Boomerang is the same way. They suck too.

There is always a market for bad taste. That's why you have so many overall manufacturers.

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 10:00 AM
There is always a market for bad taste. That's why you have so many overall manufacturers.

Overalls are in bad taste? Personally, I've never tasted them. But saying they're not fashionable would probably be better, huh Pat? I agree that they're not fashionable, but they're highly functional. For guys that work hard. Which eliminates you, and explains your disdain for the greatness that is bib overalls. I can bend, reach, squat, crawl, etc. and never once have to hitch up my britches. They protect the front of my shirt from wood, welding sparks, and anything else I might rub up against, and they keep sawdust from going down my pants when cutting wood.

And just to stay in the context of this thread, they protect my shirt from the drippings of a good hamburger from Ruby's.

Fugue
12/6/2006, 10:01 AM

oh lawd! :D

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 10:10 AM
Overalls are in bad taste? Personally, I've never tasted them. But saying they're not fashionable would probably be better, huh Pat? I agree that they're not fashionable, but they're highly functional. For guys that work hard. Which eliminates you, and explains your disdain for the greatness that is bib overalls. I can bend, reach, squat, crawl, etc. and never once have to hitch up my britches. They protect the front of my shirt from wood, welding sparks, and anything else I might rub up against, and they keep sawdust from going down my pants when cutting wood.

I thought that might get you riled up, Paw. :D

jk the sooner fan
12/6/2006, 10:20 AM
its a good thing i get to determine what tastes good to me

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 10:25 AM
its a good thing i get to determine what tastes good to me

Yeah, good thing. Cause if you could determine what tastes good to me, I'd be looking like Emo Phillips.

colleyvillesooner
12/6/2006, 10:28 AM
http://awakened_freak.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/emo!!.jpg

jk the sooner fan
12/6/2006, 10:29 AM
i've read your evening entree's......we dont have the same taste

SoonerJack
12/6/2006, 10:31 AM
Obviously there's no one else from Ada on here or they would have mentioned Folger's on main street. Good stuff.

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 10:53 AM
i've read your evening entree's......we dont have the same taste

So, what you're saying is that you don't like good food? Which merely emphasizes my point that Johnnie's sucks. Glad we got to the bottom of that.

jk the sooner fan
12/6/2006, 10:59 AM
no, what i'm saying is i like different food from you

"good food" gets to be defined on an individual basis

you arent the final word on EVERYTHING ;)

MamaMia
12/6/2006, 11:01 AM
Pollyannas Cafe' in Woodward Oklahoma has great hamburgers and onion rings as well.

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2006, 11:02 AM
no, what i'm saying is i like different food from you

"good food" gets to be defined on an individual basis

you arent the final word on EVERYTHING ;)
interesting concept

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 11:04 AM
You're just gonna have to understand that I may not always be right.....but I'm never wrong.

TexasLidig8r
12/6/2006, 12:07 PM
From midnight until 4 a.m.

White Castle

After gambling or drinking all night on the Strip...

In and Out Burger

To nurse a horrible hangover in Dallas...

Snuffers

OSUHeifer
12/6/2006, 01:55 PM
I thought the title of the thread was "Burgers in Oklahoma....", I guess reading comprehension isn't taught in law school.

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2006, 01:56 PM
I thought the title of the thread was "Burgers in Oklahoma....", I guess reading comprehension isn't taught in law school.
dude........this is the South Oval.

Subject Title is regarded as a launching point.