PDA

View Full Version : The Nativity Story

Widescreen
12/5/2006, 11:26 AM
Took the family to see it Sunday night. Good but not great. For anyone thinking it's some kind of sweeping epic, it isn't. It's way too intimate for that - there aren't that many actors and there aren't any sweeping visuals. I think the screenwriter did a good job adapting the biblical accounts plus adding stuff that could've happened or been said (e.g. there's not much in there I would consider against biblical teaching). I like some of the dialog. For example, Joseph says something like If he's God's Son, what can I teach him? and Mary says How will we know? Will it be something he says or does?. It would certainly be intimidating trying to raise the Son of God. :eek: The only thing I didn't like about it was they continue to propagate this fallacy that the wise men were at the nativity scene. The Bible tells us that they didn't show up until Jesus was 2 years old, but for some reason every nativity sold, plus this movie, keep force feeding us this myth. Stupid. Anyway, it definitely put us in the Christmas spirit so if you're needing a Christmas jump-start, this is it.

The End.

achiro
12/5/2006, 11:41 AM
Do you think a 6 year old would/could watch it? I was a little concerned about how realistic it would be(ie-killing baby boys)

Widescreen
12/5/2006, 12:11 PM
We had the same concern for our (just turned) 7 year old son. We prepped him for it. Basically they show crying babies and screaming mothers but no blood. There are a couple of scenes of people being crucified on trees with some blood but it's brief. Elizabeth does some screaming giving birth to John the Baptist so that could yield some questions. There's a water snake that scares a donkey causing Mary to fall into the water. That's pretty much it.

OklahomaTuba
12/5/2006, 12:43 PM
Took the family to see it Sunday night. Good but not great. For anyone thinking it's some kind of sweeping epic, it isn't. It's way too intimate for that - there aren't that many actors and there aren't any sweeping visuals. I think the screenwriter did a good job adapting the biblical accounts plus adding stuff that could've happened or been said (e.g. there's not much in there I would consider against biblical teaching). I like some of the dialog. For example, Joseph says something like If he's God's Son, what can I teach him? and Mary says How will we know? Will it be something he says or does?. It would certainly be intimidating trying to raise the Son of God. :eek: The only thing I didn't like about it was they continue to propagate this fallacy that the wise men were at the nativity scene. The Bible tells us that they didn't show up until Jesus was 2 years old, but for some reason every nativity sold, plus this movie, keep force feeding us this myth. Stupid. Anyway, it definitely put us in the Christmas spirit so if you're needing a Christmas jump-start, this is it.

The End.

Damn, I HATE spoiler threads.

Thanks for telling me how it ends, ***.