PDA

View Full Version : Share your '06 Big XII CCG experience...

The Consumate Showman
12/5/2006, 11:00 AM
I was in section 124, row 1 and had the plaesayre of sitting next to an idiot Nebbish fan that proceeded to tell me how bad they were going to beat us because their guys were used to the cold and that they would dominate us all over the field; and I was also honored by the presence of a guy we called "Barfin' Bart" who came in, booed our band and kickers and then proceeded to barf on the seat of a guy 3 seats down from me and then put his head between his knees and never looked up again.

At one point, I turned around and counted 12 OU fans in my section! Now, I've seen and heard people griping about OUr turnout, but I have to say it was pretty sweet watching all of those bugeater fans looking in disbelief at how bad we were kicking them all over the field. They talked some BIG smack before the game, but halted all smack when Purify fumbled on the first play.

I guess a lot of Nebraska people are of German descent, right? I mean, There were sure a lot of blond-hair, blue-eyed fans there. Not that that has anything to do with anything, just an observation.

I also talked to Zac Taylor's grandparents after the game...CLASSY folks right there. I would love to have a lot of kids like Zac on our team. He is a tough kid and not the kind of guy that's going to talk a lot of trash and be a distraction to the team. They were very appreciative of what we had to to say of Zac and reminded me of my grandparents.

Overall, I think has been one of, if not the best, Big XII CCG's I have been to thus far.

sooneron
12/5/2006, 11:20 AM
I sat at home and drank some crappy beer! :mad:

I_SMELL_FEAR
12/5/2006, 11:42 AM
After waiting from 12:30 to 2:00 on the road outside gate 2, they finally let us in...it looked like Daytona with all the cars cutting across the parking lot at 60 miles and hour. It was fun to watch all the people in the cars, and all the underage drinkers start hiding beers everytime the cops came walking by directing traffic while we were waiting on the road.

The Huskers were all cocky until the game started, but they were all nice, at least the ones we met...and we met quite a few. I sat right next to a Neb couple and even after they started losing, they were still really nice and talkative...they left at haltime though...heh.

We were in 340, and there was absolutley NO wind up there...it was very pleasant. There were a lot of OU fans in 340.

Thats funny about the bonde hair, blue eye thing...I mentioned the same thing to the group of guys I went with.

One thing I did find funny was Adrian Peterson talk. One husker said he wished Peterson was playing, because Patrick is better. Then another chimed in that Peterson would go late 1st round in the draft, which would be good for him.

colleyvillesooner
12/5/2006, 11:48 AM
Sat in 116, row 23. Good section, except for the old Nebraska lady behind me waving her big flag and whipping me in the back of the head with it. That didn't last long. Her and her friend (70+) were both wearing fur coats. After she refused to stop waving the flag (she finally agreed to not wave it during plays), a guy two rows back yelled, "Hey lady! you know how many animals would have did if that **** was real!" :D

Pre game we had a funny group of NU fans near us. Only wearing red one piece long johns and snow boots, they eached headed toward the stadium with beer and a bottle of really cheap looking whiskey.

Worst thing we saw: a sign that read:

Another
Broken
Collarbone
:mad:

mxATVracer10
12/5/2006, 11:50 AM
it was my first Big XII CCG experience and actually the first OU game outside of Norman that I have been to. We were in section 327 with about three inches of snow and ice underneath our feet, which didn't help the numb toes factor at all. We were surrounded by Nebbish folks, except for the three or four OU peeps a couple rows down from us and the eight that were behind us. The Nebraska people around us were very friendly and the older guy sitting next to me coversed with me throughout the game. He even went in to the history of OU-Neb and how the writers there ripped Callahan after the F'in hillbilly's remark... The only negative experience we had was when on of the guys in the group of eight behind us (OU guys) was dipping and spitting on my girlfriends seat. Kind've sad that it was one of OUr own... Other than that and the cold it was good times though

proudsoonergal
12/5/2006, 12:41 PM
The ride up was uneventful, other than a flat tire on the way up on Friday, which delayed our trip up for several hours. Fortunately, a nice OU fan stopped and helped us out. Props to him and his wife.

Seats in sec 306, row 24. We were in the corner, and the sections are smaller there, so we almost had the entire row. ALMOST. There were two Nebraska guys (college age) that were drunk and smelling like booze that sat next to us....one was pretty quiet, and probably passed out in the 1st half. The other kept talking to us and trying to make us "high five" after good Neb plays. I did the same to him after our touchdowns and big plays. :)

The cold only affected my feet and fingers - I had two toe warmers in each shoe, but it didn't help....I still couldn't feel my feet until halftime, when I was running to another section. It was also so cold that my digital camera battery kept running out of juice, so I had to take it out and leave it in my glove.

At halftime, we were lucky enough to get access to a suite on the club level. Heated, free drinks, free food. :) I'm not normally one who enjoys watching a game in a suite (what's the point of going to the game, then? Might as well just stay home), but given the cold I wasn't complaining too much. :) After the game ended we ran outside of the suite into the cold to jump up and down while OU was awarded the Big 12 trophy. I didn't have my coat, gloves, or any outer layer, so the jumping was as for excitement as much as keeping warm.

One thing I was hoping to visit, but didn't have time, was the WWI museum. Did anyone go? How was it?

Landthief 1972
12/5/2006, 12:57 PM
I sat on my couch and drank beer. It was warm in the house and I didn't have to deal with any drunk tard Nebbish fans. Excelsior!

recemp
12/5/2006, 01:11 PM
We left Chicago on Friday morning. A drive to KC is usually a lot easier than to Norman. We waited until the storm passed and figured that we'd be driving behind snowplows all the way.
Tried to get on I-80 but it was shut down.
We took 55 down to St. Louis. It didn't appear Illinois sent out the snow plows. We had patches of black ice and snow all the way. At one point they routed us off the highway and directed us to a detour and just kind of left us cruising down a two-lane farm road with no signs or traffic cops to direct us.
Finally got back on.
The news about I-70 was worse, but, again, we made the mistake of thinking that road crews would be out working. 30 mph -at best- all the way.
It took us 14 hours to do a eight hour drive. It was the worst driving I ever had to do and I've driven through all sorts of storms and weather back when I used to be on the road for 100,000+ miles a year. It appeared that everyone forgot how to deal with snow.
I hesitated to say this, but I said to myself. "we better win after all this".
Most of the NU fans were nice, a little obnoxious at times. but nothing we hadn't been through before.
In the lobby of the hotel we met a SUC fan with a North Carolina shirt on. He was jackass of the weekend. Kind of wished I was there when UCLA intercepted. Of course, I am biased against the Troi-boys. (bthw be careful about going to any website that has to do with Troy Boys)
I wanted to get a KC steak, but the best we could muster was a Denny's where some NU fan told my buddy that you can't have a mother f***** without an O and a U. Well, you can't have NU without a "L" either.
What kind of smack are we going to have to weather from the Boise State Smurfs? I sure don't have a comeback to insult a potato farmer

The Consumate Showman
12/5/2006, 02:20 PM
Great stories guys. Any more?

RRWSooner
12/5/2006, 02:38 PM
Watched it in HD on a friends flat screen TV (BIG)

Went something like this...

Open beer, fumbles, touchdowns, more touchdowns, more beer, interceptions, 99 yard drives (wow), touchdowns, interceptions, more beer, more interceptions....

Thats all I remember. What a great game!

:pop:

Fraggle145
12/5/2006, 02:41 PM
I sat at home and drank some crappy beer! :mad:

*burp* me too.:P

starrca23
12/5/2006, 03:38 PM
I was in section 302, I've posted this part of the story a couple of times, there were about 15 OU fans in our sections. We were the first sooners up there and were greeted with an Okla-homo. Other than that the Nebbish fans were really nice, most said we had played a good game as they left with about 6 min. to go. We were across from the band and the official OU sections which was nice because when the OU faithful cheered it actually sounded pretty loud. The disbelief 3 plays in was worth the price of admission all by itself.

SoonerAcesUp
12/5/2006, 03:46 PM
Definitely my favorite Big XII CCG experience but I don't have much to compare to since my other was "that" year. I sat in section 111, row 40, seat 9. By the end of the fumble recovery for the first play of the game I was standing at seat 5 from all of the high-fiving and jumping around I was doing with everyone that was around us. That game couldn't have started out any better! We were under the overhang from the upperdeck so we were shielded a great deal from the wind. I actually got hot and had to shed the stuff I was wearing on my head because of all the jumping around we were doing. We were in the OU section so not many Husker fans were around us so I didn't get much exposure to the fanbase during the game. We were surrounded by Husker fans in the parking lot for tailgating but most that passed by wished us good luck but nothing to bad. Overall, it was probably one of the best games I've been to as far as atmosphere from opposing fanbases. I knew as soon as we got to our seats that we would win b/c of the pom poms that were in each seat. The last OU/Nebraska game I went to was in 2000 and we had pom poms in our seats for that game and we all know how that one went. Now let's just finish this great season off the right way in the Fiesta Bowl!!!

The Consumate Showman
12/5/2006, 04:03 PM
Okay. I forgot this little detail. During the 4th quarter, someone chunked a 16 slice package of singles cheese into our end of the endzone...awkward I thought. Anyone know why someone would throw a package of cheese singles onto the field? Even the security guards were bumfuzzeled as to what that was all about. It must have came from the upper deck areas becuase it about hit me and my friend in the freakin' head. I was kinda ****ed about it, but then looked back up at the scoreboard...ahhhhhhhh...

htownsooner7
12/5/2006, 04:13 PM
Being there for the 99 yard yard drive was incredible. We were in the endzone where Kelly managed to get one foot down. The Skers around us just shut up. That was it.

Met up with some great Sooners in Overland Park that night. I think we ordered 18 shots of Jack to celebrate. Sunday was rough. Caught the flight back to Dallas with numerous Sooner fans, Sunday afternoon. In the terminal, someone played Boomer Sooner on the loud speaker before we got on the plan. Awesome.

All in all, it was well worth it. Something I will never forget.

85Sooner
12/5/2006, 05:10 PM
Ate 46 Hot wings, drank 10 16oz beers and cussed alot at bad calls.

Al Gore
12/5/2006, 07:20 PM
I have many stories.....some I can't tell on this board.

Here is a funny one.....we were in a suite with Corn Suckers. I knew most of them but there were a few I didn't know. There was one with a silly corn cob hat that was getting drunk and loud. After a few drinks and the 3rd TD, Mrs AG told the guy "Guess where you can stick that corn cob you f'n hillbilly". Everyone including the Nebbish fans all laughed.

goingoneight
12/5/2006, 08:57 PM
*burp* me too.:P

"Hey-ya Coach, this is Jim Bob Reid down in Stillwater, USA... eh, don't you think you guys should have lost to us so we could get an at-large Big-12 Champeenship bid, eh? I'll take that 'un off the err... BBBUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP, ahhh..."

HoustonStephen
12/5/2006, 09:00 PM
Showman, I was in your general vicinity (Section 123) Row 6.

Great seats for watching the game.

All the husker fans I had around me were well behaved, classy, and represented thier school well. In fact, when some of the Nebraska fans were booing, the guy next to me told me he was emberassed and that it wasn't a "Lincoln" crowd.

Anyway, here are my pictures:

Arrowhead Stadium:
http://static.flickr.com/114/315274790_08e4437fdd_o.jpg

Melanie & I pregame:
http://static.flickr.com/116/315274844_8005dc707f_o.jpg

The pride of Oklahoma:
http://static.flickr.com/109/315274899_94c7417986_o.jpg

Pregame Fireworks:
http://static.flickr.com/105/315274970_4d891d9c65_o.jpg

First Nebraska play (which they fumbled):
http://static.flickr.com/121/315275030_063ec98ff4_o.jpg

Touchdown OU (after Nebraska fumble):
http://static.flickr.com/114/315275085_714e36a6f3_o.jpg

OU getting ready to go in on for another score (third quarter TD):
http://static.flickr.com/106/315275213_9aa8478cfe_o.jpg

Melanie is cold...
http://static.flickr.com/106/315275278_cfb9947160_o.jpg

Players celebrating a W
http://static.flickr.com/107/315275334_dd690a56e9_o.jpg

Final Score:
http://static.flickr.com/100/315275396_15b01a3516_o.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
12/5/2006, 10:57 PM
Beano is going to hate this thread.;)

The Consumate Showman
12/5/2006, 11:38 PM
Showman, I was in your general vicinity (Section 123) Row 6.

Great seats for watching the game.

All the husker fans I had around me were well behaved, classy, and represented thier school well. In fact, when some of the Nebraska fans were booing, the guy next to me told me he was emberassed and that it wasn't a "Lincoln" crowd.

Anyway, here are my pictures:

Melanie & I pregame:
http://static.flickr.com/116/315274844_8005dc707f_o.jpg

If you would have taken that pictur a little more to the left, I would be in your picture. I was right on the other side of that security guard on the field.

AlabamaSooner
12/5/2006, 11:47 PM
COLD COLD COLD. That was the coldest game I've ever been to. Couldn't even sit down I was so cold. It was well worth it though. What a great first game to attend as an alumnus!

I did notice that the NU fans didn't seem quite as "nice" as usual. Heck, it was much more respectful last year in Lincoln. Not sure what's behind all that.

OUMallen
12/6/2006, 12:30 AM
I had a bad time with the fans, great time at the game. I posted all the negatives in a different thread. It was certainly odd how they acted like we were at their house...it being cold gave them some odd sense of entitlement or ownership of the venue. Anyway, I'll do highlights in this one.

1. Absolutely no problem having a couple of adult beverages at the game.
2. There was a nice NU fan sitting in our section that excused himself everytime he had to inconvenience us by walking in front of us.
3. There was a nice NU fan in line for the bathroom.

I was row one, club level, right above the band, looked something like this from our seats:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7670/pc020011up2.jpg

Mostly NU fans around us...had a couple Sooners down the row from us and some sprinkled in above us.

AlabamaSooner
12/6/2006, 12:41 AM
I noticed the whole cold weather thing too....or at least got that hint from them. I guess when the temperature gets below 25, it becomes Nebraska's house. I think we showed that the weather wasn't a problem for us, much less the 80% NU crowd.

Winston Churchill
12/6/2006, 01:57 AM
http://www.campusblender.com/photos/fullsize/1962.jpg

Blues1
12/6/2006, 05:30 AM
Great Pics Showman and HoustonStephen
- Keep Rockin'

The Consumate Showman
12/6/2006, 09:35 AM
Great Pics Showman and HoustonStephen
- Keep Rockin'

Those were Houston's, not mine. But those were some good pics he took. :)

SoonerInFla
12/6/2006, 10:55 AM
I flew in from Pensacola Friday and got a rental car. Ended up getting a room in Blue Springs. I think it was about 10 miles from the stadium

I didn't have a ticket so I went ticket hunting when I got there. First lady I talked to was a Husker and she didn't realize she was sitting in the upper deck, OU side. I got a seat in sec. 117 row 25. Had a great view from about the 30.

They need to have more toilets outside. Would also be a good idea to rock salt the aisles.