PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Dogs, Could use some Help.

poke4christ
12/5/2006, 09:51 AM
Hey guys,

I've wanted to get a good dog after I graduated for some time. I've still got a semester or two left, but yesterday I let myself get carried away and started researching. Here's a rundown of what I've got so far.

Top Character Traits

1. Intelligence
2. Good with Children (gotta plan for the future)
3. Cold Weather Tolerant (plan on living in Colorado)
4. Obedience/Protective/Trainability
5. Good Health
6. Good for Jogging

Top Breeds (so far)

1. German Shepherd/White Shepherd
2. Native American Indian Dog
3. Golden Retriever
4. Husky
5. Saint Bernard

Othes Considered:
Pit Bull Terier/Bulldog, Belgian Malinois, English Setter, Labrador Retriever

As you can probably tell, I'm mostly looking for a large dog of 50+ lbs. Also, I'd like to start training it from early on in life so I would have a very well manored, obedient, and loyal dog. Finally, I love the winter dog/wolf look that Huskies and some Native American Indian Dogs have.

Basicly, my questions for you guys are these:

-Where is a good place to research dogs on the internet?
-Are there any books you would suggest?
-Are there any breeds that fit my qualifications well that I haven't mentioned?
-Where should I look to buy? The breeders I have seen were VERY expensive (1500) and I'd prefer not to spend that much.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you guys can give.

Mongo
12/5/2006, 09:54 AM
Hey guys,

I've wanted to get a good dog after I graduated for some time. I've still got a semester or two left, but yesterday I let myself get carried away and started researching. Here's a rundown of what I've got so far.

Top Character Traits

1. Intelligence
5. Good Health
6. Good for Jogging

Top Breeds (so far)

3. Golden Retriever
4. Husky
5. Saint Bernard

Othes Considered:

As you can probably tell, I'm mostly looking for a large dog of 50+ lbs. Also, I'd like to start training it from early on in life so I would have a very well manored, obedient, and loyal dog. Finally, I love the winter dog/wolf look that Huskies and some Native American Indian Dogs have.

-Where should I look to buy? The breeders I have seen were VERY expensive (1500) and I'd prefer not to spend that much.

Choose one of these, end of discussion.

tbl
12/5/2006, 09:58 AM
Golden and Labs are great dogs, as are German Shepherds. I've never even heard of a Native American Indian dog.

KABOOKIE
12/5/2006, 10:00 AM
Get a terrier. They act like they're your friend and then **** every where when you're not looking.

Mongo
12/5/2006, 10:00 AM
Golden and Labs are great dogs, as are German Shepherds. I've never even heard of a Native American Indian dog.

They stick to their own groups and open up gaming facilities to take the bones of the dogs that wronged them. "Dogs Playing Poker" was a rendition of said gaming.

tbl
12/5/2006, 10:04 AM
Ha!

poke4christ
12/5/2006, 10:05 AM
I hadn't either till I saw this. They sound amazing. Hope it's not just breeders boosting their dogs.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nativeamericanindiandog.htm

Howzit
12/5/2006, 10:07 AM
Another lab vote. I've had one for 8 years and she fits all of the qualities you listed. Certainly other breeds will fit the bill as well, but you won't be disappointed with a lab.

Especially a chocolate one.

Named Ruby.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 10:07 AM
[has to be done]Sheep aren't doing it for you anymore?[/has to be done]

Mjcpr
12/5/2006, 10:09 AM
Mmmm....chocolate.

fadada1
12/5/2006, 10:11 AM
australian cattle dog - if you got lots o' land.

heard good things about the shiba inu - medium sized dog.

Melo
12/5/2006, 10:11 AM
Another Lab vote.

They're simply the best.

tbl
12/5/2006, 10:12 AM
I hadn't either till I saw this. They sound amazing. Hope it's not just breeders boosting their dogs.

I bet they shed like beasts... but otherwise I think that'd be the dog to get.

"What kind of dog is that"
"Native American Indian dog"
"WTF?"
"Shumani tutanka iwatchay ashtay ah aiello"

1stTimeCaller
12/5/2006, 10:14 AM
get one from the pound

poke4christ
12/5/2006, 10:14 AM
My main concern with labs is that they are short haired. Can they handle below freezing temp comfortably? Snow? Are their different long haired varieties?

Jerk
12/5/2006, 10:15 AM
German Shepherd, raised from puppyhood

They are pack animals and will see your family as their pack, and will be protective. You want something to scare the sh** out of an intruder? A 110 pound dog with wolf-like teeth and a 750/lb per squar inch bite will. You want a big dog who will go face to face with a stranger who gets too close to your kids and bite their arse off if they are threatening?

They are big and powerful dogs. Their tails can clear a table or knock over a toddler on accident. Mine seems to be gentle with small things like the family cats and small children. They are like a 2 year old in a very strong mans body, and very smart. They seem to know what you're doing before you do it. They also like to be your shadow. If he isn't near you, he's going to know where you are.

Melo
12/5/2006, 10:16 AM
My main concern with labs is that they are short haired. Can they handle below freezing temp comfortably? Snow? Are their different long haired varieties?

Jake LOVES the snow. And water. I wouldn't worry about that part.

tbl
12/5/2006, 10:17 AM

Seriously... I'm a rabid cat proponent, but I think this might be a dog I could get. If I ever end up getting a dog for the kids, this will be it (provided it doesn't cost a fortune).

poke4christ
12/5/2006, 10:18 AM
Seriously... I'm a rabid cat proponent, but I think this might be a dog I could get. If I ever end up getting a dog for the kids, this will be it (provided it doesn't cost a fortune).

Unfortunatly, cheapest I saw was about 1200 (didn't look that hard). Also, the breeders weren't near by.

tbl
12/5/2006, 10:19 AM
German Shepherd, raised from puppyhood

They are pack animals and will see your family as their pack, and will be protective. You want something to scare the sh** out of an intruder? A 110 pound dog with wolf-like teeth and a 750/lb per squar inch bite will.

They are big and powerful dogs. Their tails can clear a table or knock over a toddler on accident. Mine seems to be gentle with small things like the family cats and small children. They are like a 2 year old in a very strong mans body, and very smart. They seem to know what you're doing before you do it. They also like to be your shadow. If he isn't near you, he's going to know where you are.
Man.... I forgot about how good a Shepherd is. I had one as a kid, ole "Pal". You ain't kidding about being protective. That dog was the man when it came to watching out for us. I may have to rethink the NAID...

Also, the dog pound suggestion is a good one as well.

Howzit
12/5/2006, 10:20 AM

Mine is still getting in the pool.

Labs have a coat the has very fine fur close to the skin surface that acts as an insulator. Summers are tough on them, though.

tbl
12/5/2006, 10:21 AM
Unfortunatly, cheapest I saw was about 1200 (didn't look that hard). Also, the breeders weren't near by.
Out!

German Shepherd: IN!

Mongo
12/5/2006, 10:22 AM
Another lab vote. I've had one for 8 years and she fits all of the qualities you listed. Certainly other breeds will fit the bill as well, but you won't be disappointed with a lab.

Especially a chocolate one.

Named Ruby.

If by chocolate you mean white and named Boss, then I agree with you. My dog is better than your dog.

Mjcpr
12/5/2006, 10:22 AM
Adopt one from Malawi.

Beef
12/5/2006, 10:24 AM
You can't go wrong with boxers.

Howzit
12/5/2006, 10:24 AM
If by chocolate you mean white and named Boss, then I agree with you. My dog is better than your dog.

Racist.

poke4christ
12/5/2006, 10:26 AM
lol!

Jerk
12/5/2006, 10:29 AM
Here's mine at 1 year.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9476/brodee002mp8.jpg

poke4christ
12/5/2006, 10:32 AM
that relieves some misconceptions about labs. Thanks guys.

Jerk, that's a beautiful dog.

Jerk
12/5/2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks.

I will admit, though, I don't think you can get a better dog for kids than a well-bred lab. However, Shepherds aren't far behind and they are a little more stout when it comes to protecting the pack.

Seriously, I would go for a female shepherd if I were you.

poke4christ
12/5/2006, 10:43 AM
I think it's coming down to that any of the main dogs I'm looking at would be great.

-Golden Retriever
-German Shepherd
-Native American Indian Dog
-Lab

It may just come down to the situation and how much I would need to spend. I don't really want to go to a kennel or something of the like because I don't want health problems. Jerk, how much did you spend? How much can I expect to spend on healthy dog?

Norm In Norman
12/5/2006, 10:45 AM
Personally, I think you are going about this all wrong. You should probably take some personality quizzes that match your personality to breeds of dogs then pick from that. Some dogs look cool but might not be good for your personality or lifestyle. That's why you see (for instance) people in small apartments who own Jack Russel Terriers even though JRTs generally prefer the country. I guess what I'm saying is you might not be the best owner for the dog you pick.

poke4christ
12/5/2006, 10:46 AM
Personally, I think you are going about this all wrong. You should probably take some personality quizzes that match your personality to breeds of dogs then pick from that. Some dogs look cool but might not be good for your personality or lifestyle. That's why you see (for instance) people in small apartments who own Jack Russel Terriers even though JRTs generally prefer the country. I guess what I'm saying is you might not be the best owner for the dog you pick.

Good point. Any links or places to do said quiz?

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 10:52 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dog+personality+quiz&btnG=Google+Search

birddog
12/5/2006, 10:54 AM
just make sure it matches the colors in your living room.

Norm In Norman
12/5/2006, 11:03 AM
What SAS said.

Jerk
12/5/2006, 11:05 AM
Poke4Christ

I think the registered GSD's would start around $250 and go up from there. You can spend alot for a dog with good lines. You don't need a champion-bred dog, but I would do some research before you buy one from anywhere. Make sure the dogs are hip certified- if you do get a Shepherd.

I bought mine from a couple in Norman...I made my decision based on how the parents acted and looked. His daddy was a stud.

soonerbrat
12/5/2006, 11:07 AM

those herding dogs need something to herd..if there isn't any livestock, they try to "herd" children and may nip at them to keep them in line.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 11:10 AM
those herding dogs need something to herd..if there isn't any livestock, they try to "herd" children and may nip at them to keep them in line.
For this reason you need to have plenty of children, just in case they pick one off for a snack.

Seriously, my uncle had one that would let any pinhead into the back yard, but if you tried to leave he'd come after you.

achiro
12/5/2006, 11:22 AM
Looking at the link for the NAID I'd say the "breeder" is fullo sheet. I particular like these two lines, "intelligence level is extremely high" and, "this breed does not do well in a crate for crate training or housebreaking"
How the hell is a dog smart but too stupid to be housebroken? "Leave it in a room with tile floor and newspaper spread about? WTF!?!?!?!?!
This does NOT sound like a dog that would be good for anything but pulling sleds.(which I'm sure was the original intent)

Now back to the labs. Retrievers of any breed handle cold very well. Most duck hunters use them in icy water to retrieve downed birds. Cold is not a problem with tese dogs as long as you are smart about it and don't let macho show off crap get in the way. No dog should be left out exposed to weather whether they can handle it or not.(yeah, sled dogs yada yada yada. Even they usually have houses of some sort.

Shepherds are great dogs
Labs and Goldens are great dogs
You might look at a Chesapeake Bay Retriever if you like the protective part(I now have two)
Huskies that I have been around aren't the brightest dogs but not bad
Many Saint Bernards are very prone to health issues.

Regardless what breed you choose I would make sure and research all genetic defects that are carried in the breed(hip dysplasia) and find a breeder that does everything he/she can do to guard against the diseases.

Second, I wouldn't go to general websites and just read the marketing spill of the breeder. Find forums dedicated to the specific breed. Ask questions, listen, and ask more questions.

If you are in Stillwater, there is a pretty good breeder of goldens over there. He is also a professional retriever trainer and I'm sure he would let you visit and see what the dogs are capable of in the field.

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 11:23 AM

flat coated retriever - i.e. a black golden retriever

or just a golden retriever....you cant go wrong

AMSooner
12/5/2006, 11:50 AM
I have to chime in with my recommendation of a female GSD. Mr. AMSooner had always wanted a shepherd and I was adamantly against it (too big, too much shedding, etc.). Our neighbor at our old house had a female GSD pup that she threw in the backyard and ignored for the first two years of her life. We loved her and would always talk to her through the fence. She had a hard life but was still sweet as could be. When we put our house up for sale, our neighbor asked us if we would take her.

Well, we took her and she has turned into the best dog. She became an inside dog and it took a year or so to train the neglect out of her, but she is the sweetest, most loyal dog I've ever had. We've had her for six years now. She is very protective of her pack. She loves puppies and little dogs and won't take any crap off bigger dogs who try to pick on her. We'll find out how she is with kids here in a couple of weeks when we bring home a new baby, but I don't anticipate any problems.

She does shed a lot and steals my other dog's food, but those are her only drawbacks.

Whatever breed you decide on, I would recommend going to a breed rescue. You can get a purebred dog, even a puppy, and give a home to a good dog who really needs one.

fadada1
12/5/2006, 11:54 AM
try a "washout" dog from some of the working dog organizations. we have a vet here at the club and has suggested "canine partners for life". i think they're local here in PA, but i'm sure there are other places like this.

the dogs are all very intelligent and trained, but for whatever reason, were unable to become assist dogs. sometimes they're too small for their desired purpose (not a toy dog, just a smaller lab), or might have a "possibility" at hip displasia (but definitely not guranteed). basically, perfect dogs who didn't meet some very stringent requirements.

http://www.k94life.org/

they have an adoption request page.

soonernation
12/5/2006, 11:56 AM
Hey guys,

Top Character Traits

1. Intelligence
5. Good Health
6. Good for Jogging

Top Breeds (so far)

3. Golden Retriever
4. Husky
5. Saint Bernard

Othes Considered:

I would vote for the Husky and here's why

1. Intelligence. The Husky I had was very smart but also very stubborn. If you get this type of dog start training young and you should be fine.

2. Good with Children (gotta plan for the future) She would let the little kids in the neighborhood put her in a choke hold and all she did was sit there and take it. We had a daughter when the Husky was about 9 and we could not have asked for a better dog around a baby. I might not have said this if the Husky was a litter younger though. She was a bit energetic when she was a pup.

3. Cold Weather Tolerant (plan on living in Colorado) She is a Husky so cold weather is a plus.

4. Obedience/Protective/Trainability See 1. Also before we brought our daughter home our Husky never barked or howled when people came to the door. Almost the minute we brought our kiddo home she became VERY protective of the front door. She never would do anything once people came in but she damn sure let them know she was their. My wife and I still talk about how she basically changed overnight to being VERY protective of the front door and people coming in she did not know.

5. Good Health Our husky lived 14 years and was very active for 13 years and 11 months. Only the last month of her life did she become the type of dog to just lie around. She felt like **** and it showed.

6. Good for Jogging If you can keep a husky from dragging you around while you are trying to jog you will be fine. I never tried to jog with our husky but when we walked her she would try to pull us around the neighborhood.

We got another Husky about a year ago and she acts allot like our other one. She has some different traits about her but all in all she acts just like our other one. I highly recommend this type of dog but there are allot of good breeds out there. Good luck with your search.

Bloomer_Sooner
12/5/2006, 11:59 AM

second that

WILBURJIM
12/5/2006, 01:19 PM

I have a Shiba Inu and she loves the snow. Almost like a mini Husky.
A couple things about Shibas are , they usually need to be on a leash because they are not real good at heeding the "come here" call of the owner. Also, stubborn, which a good owner/trainer can work with. One more thing, is they can be "dog aggressive" and will stand up to much bigger dogs. A friend's Shiba attacked a Pitbull and backed the Pitbull down. Though excellent with people, the encounters with other dog owners always makes me a bit nervous.

achiro
12/11/2006, 01:18 PM
Well?

Vaevictis
12/11/2006, 02:05 PM
Don't get a pit bull unless you're willing to deal with the fact that any county or city you may live in is likely to have discriminatory treatment of pit bulls.

Some require a certain amount of insurance, some ban them outright; others apparently have shelters that have kill-on-receipt orders for pit bulls (ie, they don't make the same effort to return them to the owners as they would for other breeds).

Don't get me wrong, I know that a bad pit bull is almost always a reflection of the owner, and with a good owner, they could be as good a dog as you could hope for. But owning a pit bull is a major hassle these days because of the perception of the breed.

As far as your criteria is concerned, I'd go with the German Shepherd, or the Golden Retriever.

I'd also suggest a look at a rough collie. They match up with your criteria list pretty well; they are outstanding on the "good with kids" and "like the cold," and depending on the individual dog, range from average to excellent on the rest.

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 02:09 PM
here's a breed that is a GREAT dog and is not often thought of

soft coated wheaten terrier

again - GREAT DOG

sooneron
12/11/2006, 02:59 PM
here's a breed that is a GREAT dog and is not often thought of

soft coated wheaten terrier

again - GREAT DOG

They're very cool dogs, but all the owners I know - 4, constantly talk about the pain in the *** terrier aspect.

I have two in my neighborhood and Reilly and I have contact with a couple at the dog park. So, my interaction isn't limited.

One thing that owners need to ask themselves is, "How much time will I have for this dog?"

Partial Qualifier
12/11/2006, 03:07 PM
What about Great Danes? Great with kids; somewhat-trainable. Don't know about the jogging deal. But you'd get plenty of excersize shoveling up it's poop!

Never owned one myself but have known several Great Danes & their owners. They're a blast to play with.

NormanPride
12/11/2006, 03:39 PM
Great Danes don't move much. I don't think they'd be good to jog with. But they do well in all the other categories!

tbl
12/11/2006, 03:47 PM
They move the mountains of poo out of their anus well...

Partial Qualifier
12/11/2006, 04:11 PM
Great Danes don't move much.

You're not kidding. Especially in the heat of summer. But the ones I've known each had their own idea of fun and, if engaged, would play forever.

One in particular, I NEVER saw her move much.. except when someone fired up a four-wheeler or dirtbike. She'd go completely bonkers and chase the thing around for hours. If you slowed enough, she'd try to get on the thing like it was her life's mission to ride one. But wouldn't go near it when the engine wasn't running. Fun times.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/11/2006, 04:34 PM
Great Danes eat socks.

YWIA.

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 04:53 PM
great danes are great dogs, but god they are clumsy...i'm sure because of their size......and yes, they can destroy a yard

Beef
12/11/2006, 04:56 PM
My mastiff threw down, pinned and bitch slapped a great dane that tried to hump him at the dog park a couple of weeks ago. Funny stuff.