PDA

View Full Version : Different twist: Good memories from the Blake years

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2006, 11:09 PM
I remember Eric Moore running out of bounds all the time. One time he was headed to the sidelines and Blake almost came out on the field pointing upfield to the first down marker. EM cut back and actually got a first down and many more yards on the play. It was funny.

edit to eric moore.

Repressed memories are difficult :D

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/4/2006, 11:11 PM
Was the home Syracuse game in the Blake era?

picasso
12/4/2006, 11:14 PM
Eric Mitchell played for the Switz.

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2006, 11:14 PM
James Allen redeeming himself by getting into the endzone to beat UT.

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2006, 11:19 PM
Eric Mitchell played for the Switz.
I meant Eric Moore.

Good catch and I edited.

picasso
12/4/2006, 11:21 PM
I meant Eric Moore.

Good catch and I edited.
he was iffy but he did beat oSu one year.

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2006, 11:25 PM
I think he was thrown in the fire too soon. I actually think he could have been a lot like PT with the proper help.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/4/2006, 11:26 PM
I actually think he could have been a lot like PT with the proper help.

The best help that kid could've got under Boo was a stack of transfer papers.

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2006, 11:27 PM
The best help that kid could've got under Boo was a stack of transfer papers.
good memories.........try hard :D

tommieharris91
12/4/2006, 11:28 PM

Man, that game must have been a pillow fight.

I'm glad my parents didn't get cable until I turned 16.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/4/2006, 11:30 PM
good memories.........try hard :D

I'm tryin'!

goosefabah... goooooosefabah...

birddog
12/4/2006, 11:32 PM
I meant Eric Moore.

Good catch and I edited.

lay off the codeine, would ya?:D

birddog
12/4/2006, 11:34 PM
eric moore's tirade at the end of the year was pretty classic.

IT'S A WALK OUT!!:kelvin:

ouradu
12/4/2006, 11:36 PM
remember that classic win against baylor because baylor went for 2 instead of hitting the extra point and sending it to overtime. Always big to beat baylor, I guess. My memory has the stadium erupting after the pass was knocked down and I just didn't know what to do.

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2006, 11:37 PM
Even Blake never lost to Baylor.

For that I am thankful

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/4/2006, 11:41 PM
The Oklahoma SHOCK WAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 11:41 PM
Either Martin Chase or Travian Smith blocking what would have been the game-winning FG by Syracuse.

Donovan McNabb upchucking all over Owen Field.

Beating Texas in OT.

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2006, 11:43 PM
How about the Killer Bees they played over the loud speakers.

mdklatt
12/4/2006, 11:47 PM
This thread will be a lot shorter than that other one.

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/4/2006, 11:55 PM
Beating Syracuse on a FG block and Baylor in OT (I suffered through that in person) are good memories.

That should tell you something.

IronSooner
12/5/2006, 12:28 AM
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? "

Seems like they played that at least 3 or 4 times a game.

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2006, 12:31 AM
Best memory from the Blake years:

Driving back to Iowa after the Texas Tech game in 1998 and hearing that he'd been given the axe.

Then, a few weeks later, hearing that Castiglione had hired Stoops out from underneath the Hawkeyes.

proudsoonergal
12/5/2006, 01:17 AM
This thread will be a lot shorter than that other one.

Heh.

Octavian
12/5/2006, 01:34 AM
Walking out of (then) Lewis Field on a cold night in '98.

The pressbox guy was begging the Pokie mob to not toss a torn-down goalpost over the side of the stadium (and down onto a crowd).

I didn't even turn around to look...all I could really think about was our next coach.

Hope it's someone good. But one thing's for sure...Blake's gone.

I knew it for certain then.

That was my best moment of the Blake Era.

BigRedJed
12/5/2006, 03:19 AM
I agree about the firing being the best moment.

Second best: darn near rushing the field after the thrilling, 10-9, come-from-behind victory at TCU. PATRICK FLETCHER, QUARTERBACK OF THE FUTURE!!!

Fraggle145
12/5/2006, 03:29 AM
How about the Killer Bees they played over the loud speakers.

THE RED SWARM!!! BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!

stoopified
12/5/2006, 09:06 AM
Either Martin Chase or Travian Smith blocking what would have been the game-winning FG by Syracuse.

Donovan McNabb upchucking all over Owen Field.

Beating Texas in OT.You pretty covered ALL the Blake highlights right there.The only trhing I could add is upsetting TT in Fuente's last game at OU.

umberto
12/5/2006, 09:38 AM
My favorite memory was how all the players rallied to support their embattled coach (threatning to transfer, etc.), only to embrace Stoops after about five minutes. Good stuff.

sooner518
12/5/2006, 09:42 AM
Scoring a touchdown against Nebbish in 97 and telling the Husker fans behind us at the game that they better watch out because we were well on our way for a comeback.

we lost 69-7

sportsproducer
12/5/2006, 09:45 AM
Having the big tarp with circles and numbers on the sidelines so they could make sure they have the right personell on the field on special team plays....and it still did not work!

Having a local radio talk show host tell the entire world that half of the staff would be fired the and naming at least 3 new assistant hires the day before the Tech game in '97. Then denying it to their faces while on the road only to have his adminstrative assistant give them their pink slips as they left teh plane at Will Rogers APO, because allegedly he left Lubbock to go recruit. Then having a press conference the next afternoon to announce the hiring of the very same named assistant coaches. Oh and BTW to ice the cake for th eguys who were fired when they reached the office in Norman (At that time it was the old ticket office, souvinier store that once stood on the southwest corner of the field) they were greeted by OUPD officers and given roughly 15 minutes to collect all of their personal belongings. Guess they needed the room for the new assistants that he told them he was not hiring as well...Very Nice!

Losing to your former Big 8 rival Nebraska by a combined score 142 -28...IN TWO GAMES!!!!

Making an issue of going back to the wishbone on offense in 1998 and then actually running it for one drive, (The first drive of the season) and then going through about 10 different offenses during the season.

Leading the Big 12 in penalties, turnovers lost and worst turnover margin all three years he was Head Coach.

Not signing 1 big time quarterback

Watching one of the best Defensive Tackles EVER at OU, (Kelly Greg) cry after the A&M game 97 because he realised some of his seniors like Stephen Alexander would not win a conference title during their stint at OU.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2006, 09:55 AM
The whole 90's were so crazy anyway, it still mistes me up a little bit thinking about them. I seriously have so many happy memories from the horrible Schnelly and Blake eras. I can still remember us sneaking down to the bottom part of the student section when Schnelly was a coach. I was 11 years old, we throw an interceptions and one of the students stands up and yells "That Kaptain Kangaroo looking mother ****er needs to go!!" I remember when McNabb McNabbed all over the field and after the game, everyone went on the field because it was such a big win and of course being a 13 14 year old kid, I was just so in awe that I got to be on the same field as Kelly Gregg and the distant past people my Dad always talked about such as Little Joe, Billy, and actually Carl Cabaniss hahaha(My dad had all of the games from the 80's recorded so I would watch them and the old Switzer playback shows!! Looking back I should have been miserable but wow it was some of the most amazing moments of my life involved Blake ball.

Taxman71
12/5/2006, 10:04 AM
I would say beating tejas in OT in 1996 was the first and only highlight from the Blake years. He should have quit after that game and remained a fan favorite forever.

Although Blake had virtually nothing to do with it, all those runs by DeMond Parker were classic. Someone should make a highlight reel of his runs and it will stack up against most anyone (AD excepted of course).

Hearing Joe Dickinson challenge a radio caller to a parking lot fist fight always gives me a chuckle.

Pricetag
12/5/2006, 10:31 AM
You pretty covered ALL the Blake highlights right there.The only trhing I could add is upsetting TT in Fuente's last game at OU.
That was the game where they actually let Winder run the offense, wasn't it?

MikeInNorman
12/5/2006, 10:34 AM
I thank Boo every year for my awesome season ticket location on the 35 yard line, 48 rows up.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 10:43 AM
I thank Boo every year for my awesome season ticket location on the 35 yard line, 48 rows up.
On that note, I got some discounted gear back in the day.

Beef
12/5/2006, 10:45 AM
I agree about the firing being the best moment.

Second best: darn near rushing the field after the thrilling, 10-9, come-from-behind victory at TCU. PATRICK FLETCHER, QUARTERBACK OF THE FUTURE!!!
Ah. The good old days when we could still beat TCU. My friends and I almost got in a fight with some idiot TCU fans going into the game. Good times.