PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Bri, guess what I just got in the mail?

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 07:35 PM
That's right.

Dune.

On HD-DVD.

Pwnge.

crawfish
12/4/2006, 07:38 PM
That's right.

Dune.

On HD-DVD.

Suckage.

Nice waste of money. :)

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 07:39 PM
Pah. Money is as nothing to one who controls the melange.

TheLurker
12/4/2006, 07:49 PM
I must drink beer. Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to flow over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/4/2006, 07:51 PM
TheLurker isn't as creepy without his ****ty avatar ;)

Sooner_Bob
12/4/2006, 07:52 PM
Dune rules . . .

TheLurker
12/4/2006, 07:58 PM
TheLurker isn't as creepy without his ****ty avatar ;)
Damn... You're right.:(

usmc-sooner
12/4/2006, 08:08 PM
Dune is like longer than Roots and has people riding earthworms, WTF Mike spaceworms???

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 08:13 PM
Sandworms, Harkonnen scum.

GottaHavePride
12/4/2006, 08:25 PM
I must drink beer. Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to flow over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I'll be hiding in the corner.

bri
12/4/2006, 09:08 PM
The worms are the spice; the spice IS the worm!

SoonerAtKU
12/5/2006, 02:36 AM
It is by beer alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Coors that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire foam. The foam becomes a warning. It is by beer alone I set my mind in motion.

Ike
12/5/2006, 03:06 AM
It'll make a handy coaster when Blu-Ray wins the format war ;)

bri
12/5/2006, 09:40 AM
:les: BETA RULZ!!!! W00T!!!!!11

GottaHavePride
12/5/2006, 09:49 AM
It'll make a handy coaster when Blu-Ray wins the format war ;)

Heh.

Seriously, last I heard Blu-Ray wasn't flying very well with the people that know about that sort of thing.

tbl
12/5/2006, 10:09 AM
I can't stand the concept of Blu-Ray. I mean, what's the point? It can't be that much better that it would warrant total elimination of DVD's. I hope it goes the way of Betamax (though we were actually a Beta family).

I didn't really like the Dune movies (the old one or the new SciFi miniseries). I think the SciFi series could have done it right had they not filmed everything on a cheap sound stage.

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2006, 11:26 AM
Heh.

Seriously, last I heard Blu-Ray wasn't flying very well with the people that know about that sort of thing.

It's not. Toshiba was smart: they subsidized the heck out of the first generation HD-DVD players so they sold for half of what Blu-Ray players did. As a result, they sold out the entire production run of the first-gen players. It didn't help that Blu-Ray has had a ton of production problems, either.

Also didn't help that the first couple runs of Blu-Ray discs insisted on using MPEG-2 compression instead of the more advanced VC-1. The resulting discs came out, well, not so good compared to the VC-1 compression standard on HD-DVD. Most of the Blu-Ray studios have finally moved to VC-1, and their discs are looking a lot better. Still, the only real technical advantage a Blu-Ray disc has over HD-DVD is higher storage capacity, but it's been shown pretty conclusively that there's plenty of room on an HD-DVD for a three hour movie at 1080p.

frankensooner
12/5/2006, 11:38 AM
Tell me of the ice of your homeworld, froz'dib.

Oldnslo
12/5/2006, 12:23 PM
My name is a killing word.

C&CDean
12/5/2006, 12:32 PM
I read Dune when I was in the Army. It was major suckage then, so I must assume it's major suckage on the tube too. Hopefully you didn't pay a lot for this POS.

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2006, 01:26 PM
No offense, Dean, but considering Dune is considered one of the greatest science-fiction books ever written and won most major awards given in the genre, I'm going to have to say your opinion on this one is pretty far off.

I'm sure that Danielle Steele is more your speed. ;)

bri
12/5/2006, 02:26 PM
On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being "not so much" and 10 being "so very much", how boneable is the young Virginia Madsen in HD? :D

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 02:32 PM
Virginia Madsen is a 10 on the boneable scale, in any definition and any age

crawfish
12/5/2006, 02:33 PM
I read Dune when I was in the Army. It was major suckage then, so I must assume it's major suckage on the tube too. Hopefully you didn't pay a lot for this POS.

Dune is a classic. The SF miniseries caught it the best, although the special effects WERE a little cheesy. The Lynch movie sucked big-time.

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2006, 02:34 PM
On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being "not so much" and 10 being "so very much", how boneable is the young Virginia Madsen in HD? :D

Haven't had a chance to watch it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably a 9 or so.

I've got about three movies ahead of Dune on the "to be watched" list, including Superman, Superman II: The Donner Cut, and Jarhead. That last in out from Netflix, and I need to get it back before too long.

C&CDean
12/5/2006, 03:03 PM
Dune is a classic. The SF miniseries caught it the best, although the special effects WERE a little cheesy. The Lynch movie sucked big-time.

Oh I don't argue that Dune is the gnarliest of the gnarly when it comes to sci-fi, it's just that sci-fi sucks. Star Wars? Star Trek? Hairy Klingons do Dallas? All crap. When I was in the Army I also read all the Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan books, and the Robert E. Howard Conan books, and they RMFO much more than Dune.

But then again, I'm pretty much a barbarian who eats raw meat, cleaves his enemies from breastbone to navel with one swing of his sword, and takes his women as he pleases. And you guys are pretty much George Jetsonesque.

Different strokes...

Mongo
12/5/2006, 03:06 PM
So you like movies about gladiators?

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 03:06 PM
Different strokes...

see, you learn something new everyday.......i would never have taken you for a fan of that show

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2006, 03:07 PM
But then again, I'm pretty much a guy who likes reading about dudes in loincloths.

Different strokes...

True dat.

C&CDean
12/5/2006, 03:08 PM
I'll take guys in loincloths slaying leopards over guys in plastic helmets and boots with cute little plastic package protecters shooting laser beams from their plastic laser guns at plastic aliens.

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2006, 03:10 PM
Fair enough.

You draggin' the magic tailgate out to P'hoe-nicks?

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/5/2006, 03:10 PM
Hairy Clingons Do Dallas.

Sweet.

C&CDean
12/5/2006, 03:16 PM
So you like movies about gladiators?

I do.

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2006, 03:16 PM
it always comes back to the dallas crowd....