PDA

View Full Version : Boo's twister mat?

SoonerStormchaser
12/4/2006, 05:08 PM
Someone help me out cause I was living under a rock before the 2000 season when it comes to OU football.

What's the deal with Boo Blake's twister mat lore? Details please.

OUAndy1807
12/4/2006, 05:16 PM
we had problems making sure the punter was actually in the game in punting situations so Boo made a mat (allegedly) with all the people on it so they would know if everyone that was supposed to be in the game was in the game.

OUstud
12/4/2006, 05:19 PM
My memory may be getting fuzzy, but didn't we like try to kick a FG or punt on third down vs. Mizzou in 1998?

tulsaoilerfan
12/4/2006, 05:19 PM
we had problems making sure the punter was actually in the game in punting situations so Boo made a mat (allegedly) with all the people on it so they would know if everyone that was supposed to be in the game was in the game.
Damn i thought i knew everything about OU football, but even I have never heard that before today; if it's true, it didn't help much. :eek:

Widescreen
12/4/2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah, he called it a "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 05:24 PM

It wasn't that we were having problems getting the punter in the game, it's that too many people thought they were on punt team. We were routinely getting too many men penalties.

I don't recall us ever not sending the punter out, though I do remember North Texas snapping the ball to an invisible punter in 1995.

mdklatt
12/4/2006, 05:30 PM
Man, we really did suck didn't we? :O :(

sooner518
12/4/2006, 05:31 PM
It wasn't that we were having problems getting the punter in the game, it's that too many people thought they were on punt team. We were routinely getting too many men penalties.

I don't recall us ever not sending the punter out, though I do remember North Texas snapping the ball to an invisible punter in 1995.
Didnt someone do that against us this or last year?

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 05:33 PM
Man, we really did suck didn't we? :O :(

It was pretty bad, man. Seriously, that guy had no business being the head coach of a college football team. He actually had a couple of good assistants, but he undermined them at every turn. There's a few guys that were there that I just feel really bad for that had great talent but just got NO coaching in college and couldn't make the leap to the NFL. Guys like De'Mond Parker and Gana Joseph had all kinds of ability.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/4/2006, 05:37 PM
My favorite Blakism was when they designed one of their audibles to basically look like the qb was calling timeout so every time they went to that audible, the ref would blow his whistle and everyone would stand around looking confused.

Widescreen
12/4/2006, 05:40 PM
Gana Joseph had all kinds of ability.
That dude could HIT!

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah he could. He'd draw about one unnecessary roughness call a game, but he always made sure he got his money's worth.

TopDawg
12/4/2006, 05:43 PM
Didnt someone do that against us this or last year?

Last year. I'm pretty sure it was KSU.

TopDawg
12/4/2006, 05:45 PM
My favorite Blakism was when they designed one of their audibles to basically look like the qb was calling timeout so every time they went to that audible, the ref would blow his whistle and everyone would stand around looking confused.

Remember that "trick" we had on kickoffs where the team would huddle up, and then break really quick and run toward the ball...but then stop on the line and then backup and kick the ball like normal?

I'm not sure what that accomplished, but it sure did help make things look more like a circus.

Rogue
12/4/2006, 05:46 PM
[boo voice] Gana Joseph. Great kid from Nassau, OK or Miami, FL. Great parents. Just a really nice young man...[/boo voice].

Boo's coaches shows were painful to watch.

Was GJ from Nassau, OK or Miami, FL?

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2002/08/20/1/

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/4/2006, 05:48 PM
Or remember that game one year where we literally started out as a West Coast offense with Justin Fuente..after about half a quarter we were a Power I team with Eric Moore, and by the end of the game we was a complete(and by complete I mean horribly basic) Triple Option team being led by Jarrail Jackson(Also, the same Jarrail Jackson who never played qb..I mean not even in high school)(and if my memory isn't too fuzzy, I believe Brandon Daniels actually played about half a quarter at QB as well)

proudsoonergal
12/4/2006, 05:49 PM

Ah.....Kansas 1997....although that was a field goal, not a punt. I drove up from Norman for that game, so I only heard afterwards about the radio/commercial thing......the old days, when we were so excited just to get a 1st down.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/4/2006, 05:58 PM
Remember Bob Barry after we gained 20 yards on a play "Is there a flag???....well it looks like this one is coming back"

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 06:07 PM
Heh. I remember hearing the wonderment in Bob Barry's voice every time we broke a big play in 1999 and 2000 "No flags!"

TopDawg
12/4/2006, 06:07 PM
Ah.....Kansas 1997....although that was a field goal, not a punt. I drove up from Norman for that game, so I only heard afterwards about the radio/commercial thing......the old days, when we were so excited just to get a 1st down.

Kansas '96 was just as bad.

MikeInNorman
12/4/2006, 06:11 PM
The punt team was so bad that we would routinely have either 9 or 13 guys on the field. Sadly, Boo's Twister Mat didn't stop the penalties, they just kept coming.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/4/2006, 06:13 PM
Didn't they show up with the wrong type of cleats at one game? Could you imagine that happening to a Stoops team!

GottaHavePride
12/4/2006, 06:14 PM
Or remember that game one year where we literally started out as a West Coast offense with Justin Fuente..after about half a quarter we were a Power I team with Eric Moore, and by the end of the game we was a complete(and by complete I mean horribly basic) Triple Option team being led by Jarrail Jackson(Also, the same Jarrail Jackson who never played qb..I mean not even in high school)(and if my memory isn't too fuzzy, I believe Brandon Daniels actually played about half a quarter at QB as well)

Ah, the Power Wing ShotBone offense.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/4/2006, 06:16 PM
Stoops has had 5 QB's in 7 years
Blake had 5 QB's in 1 game :P

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/4/2006, 06:17 PM
Didn't they show up with the wrong type of cleats at one game? Could you imagine that happening to a Stoops team!

i thought we weren't supposed to talk about that game?

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/4/2006, 06:27 PM
What game? ;)

BajaOklahoma
12/4/2006, 06:28 PM

Orange Bowl against Arkansas. Totally humiliating.

ouradu
12/4/2006, 06:29 PM
A buddy of mine once made a list of allthe guys that at one time took a snap under center with Blake and it was ridiculously long.

I was watching the 96 Texas game, his first win, and didn't recall this but we would sprint out of the huddle and snap the ball immediatley on just about every down. No reading the defense,nothing, just dead sprint from the huddle and snap.

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 06:30 PM
We played in the Orange Bowl under Blake? Man, we really didn't give him enough time.

;)

OUAndy1807
12/4/2006, 06:52 PM
I wonder if I still have my "Back to the Bone" shirt from 1997. That lasted about a quarter.

picasso
12/4/2006, 06:57 PM
I honestly remember doing a small cheer when we'd get a punt off back then. oh yeah, I also used to drink heavily at Blake games.

StoopTroup
12/4/2006, 07:04 PM
I honestly remember doing a small cheer when we'd get a punt off back then. oh yeah, I also used to drink heavily at Blake games.
Heh.

We had too.

Jerk
12/4/2006, 07:11 PM
Hey, look what I found!
http://www.bronchosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=54190&SPID=3136&DB_OEM_ID=7300&ATCLID=225081

All_Day_28
12/4/2006, 07:12 PM
Someone help me out cause I was living under a rock before the 2000 season when it comes to OU football.

What's the deal with Boo Blake's twister mat lore? Details please.
you don't know about OU football before the championship year?? are you a bandwagon fan??

SoonerInKCMO
12/4/2006, 07:55 PM
Last year. I'm pretty sure it was KSU.

It was KSU... but 2004 in their little aggy stadium.

aurorasooner
12/4/2006, 08:05 PM
Blake had 5 QB's in 1 game now that's funny, and pretty much says it all about boo as a headcoach. back in the spring of 2001, on another board there was a huge thread discussing blake. the best post was by a fan describing (in length and great detail) the cat-fighting over the headsets that went on between blake and his OC and DC, during game time situations with the clock ticking. it was just absolutely absurd. then the blake practice routine, that appeared to resemble nothing short of a fraternity pick-up game. I wish I would've saved those posts.

SoonerStormchaser
12/4/2006, 08:13 PM
you don't know about OU football before the championship year?? are you a bandwagon fan??

No...I'm an OU alumni (2001-2006) who lived in Ohio and couldn't see a freaking OU game then cause the local media was licking tOSU's nuts (pun intended).

OUstud
12/4/2006, 10:11 PM
Ah...these threads come along about once a year, but they never cease to make me laugh and make me appreciate how far we have come. That West Coast-Power I-option game made me laugh out loud.

Edmond Sooner
12/4/2006, 10:23 PM
I remember things got so bad under Blake that at one point the OU band would play the full rendition of "Boomer Sooner" every time we picked up a first down, like we'd just scored. :(

mdklatt
12/4/2006, 10:29 PM
The repressed memories this thread is bringing up make me sad in my pants. :(

sooneron
12/4/2006, 10:30 PM
Thankfully, those days were not heavily televised in the NY market and I would have to read about them on espn.com back then. Not a lot to read.

tulsaoilerfan
12/4/2006, 10:31 PM
Blake had 5 QB's in 1 game :P
I think you mean 1 quarter:pop:

Funky G
12/4/2006, 10:33 PM
A buddy of mine once made a list of allthe guys that at one time took a snap under center with Blake and it was ridiculously long.

I was watching the 96 Texas game, his first win, and didn't recall this but we would sprint out of the huddle and snap the ball immediatley on just about every down. No reading the defense,nothing, just dead sprint from the huddle and snap.

The ****ing explosion huddle..

DarrellZero
12/4/2006, 10:40 PM
How in hell did did we win any games at all?

Reminds me of Bull Durham:

Manager: What's our record? Larry?

Larry: Eight and sixteen.

Manager: Eight and sixteen. God, how'd we ever win eight?

Larry: It's a miracle!

Al Gore
12/4/2006, 10:41 PM
The punt team was so bad that we would routinely have either 9 or 13 guys on the field. Sadly, Boo's Twister Mat didn't stop the penalties, they just kept coming.If I remember correctly....once we had 14 on the field!!!!

picasso
12/4/2006, 11:02 PM
If I remember correctly....once we had 14 on the field!!!!
still didn't help us.

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 11:07 PM
If I remember correctly....once we had 14 on the field!!!!

Didn't that one get blocked?

tommieharris91
12/4/2006, 11:18 PM
I think :les: has one of those mats on his sideline.