PDA

View Full Version : Run or Pass gameplan vs. Boise?

BermudaSooner
12/4/2006, 10:02 AM
In the last few weeks, we've seen the running gameplan - OSU and Baylor, and the passing gameplan - TTech and Nebbish. Which do we pull out for Boise?

Bosie State is ranked 90th against the pass at 239.8 yards given up per game (including a whopping 532 against NCAA leading Hawaii).

Boise State is 14th giving up 106 yards against the run.

21st - giving up 18.7 points scoring, and 45th giving up 346 yards in total defense.

Given this, you would assume we will highlight the pass. But given Boise's schedule, I think anyone would be good against the run. Check this out:

Sac St. - 55th in Div 1-AA
OSU - 50th
Wy - 107th
HI - 101st
Utah - 48th
La Tech - 96th
N Mex St - 18th
Idaho - 97th
Fresno - 80th
San Jose - 99th
Utah St - 112th
Nevada - 71st.

The only decent running team they played was New Mexico State, who gained 534 yards, all but 5 of which was through the air. Not sure what that says although Boise got up 21-0 early and so I assume NMS abandoned the run.

I would assume we try and run on them. That has worked to win games, but it has also worked to keep other teams in the game.

Ash
12/4/2006, 10:15 AM
I'd say the running stats are more deceiving than that.

NM State has a good QB and wide receiver and do not feature the run game. If that's the best running game Boise has seen, they might be in for a big shock.

I think it also depends on what they're willing to give us in terms of how they scheme on D. Nebbish thought if they stopped the run that they'd beat us. PT put that to rest. It'll be interesting to see what the Boise plan will be.

jackal42601
12/4/2006, 10:21 AM
I say let the BULL known as AD out and just bitchslap them back to that gay little wac-off conference cause we are back around the top of the mountain and we should finish the season off with a high note and kick their ***.

Boomer Sooner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2006, 10:30 AM
Breaking down their Rushing Defense (calculated by Yds/game):

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&site=org

They are #7 in the Country, allowing 82 yards/game.

They have played the following Rush Offense's:

114th (in 1AA) = 116 in IA
19 (154 yds)
15 (75 yds)
22 (106 yds)

Average: 68th.

OU's Rushing Offense is 21st (177 yds/game) against these ranked D's:

38 (190 yds)
2 (124 yds)
30 (166 yds)
46 (224 yds)
43 (42 yds)

Avg: 61st

But, if AD plays, this kicks OU's run game or threat there of up a notch.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/4/2006, 10:35 AM
In other words...

You come out and you proceed to hit 'em right in the mouth. You keep sluggin' and punchin' and swingin' until they A) bleed and cry, B) ask you to stop, albeit nicely as the fourth quarter ends, C) punch you back and make you stop.

My cash dollar says A happens roughly around 8-10 minutes left in the second. Give those boys credit, they're gonna fly around the field and throw and scheme like lil' monkeys, but c'mon. This is Boise State. A well coached ballclub in a sea of mediocrity.

aurorasooner
12/4/2006, 10:41 AM
they're gonna fly around the field and throw and scheme like lil' monkeys, I agree. throw some misdirection, and perhaps even a reverse and some play action or some screens in early to keep them honest, and then run downhill on them.

DenverSooner751
12/4/2006, 10:49 AM
Let's not forget something, their areana is called "Taco Bell Arena." I guess that explains the uni's. Seriously though.......Let's not forget something, their tallest corner is 5'11. Their starting saftey's are also 5'11 and 6'00. That produces a major mismatch for the passing game. I think it will be a more balanced attack but will feature the run a little bit more than the pass. They have a pretty small defense overall. That may equate to some speed for them but I think Mr. Peterson will enjoy plowing over them.

As far as Paul is concerned, unless his recievers give up on the route then there is not much advantage for BS on the passing D.

I think it will be about 55% run, 45% pass.

birddog
12/4/2006, 10:52 AM
A

D

BermudaSooner
12/4/2006, 11:01 AM
Colleyville - I have different numbers, from SI http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/stats/

In any event, the point remains that they haven't faced any particularly strong running teams, and their pass defense has not been impressive.

The good news is, we can probably do both.

I'd like to see some passing early on to soften up the D, and get us a lead, and then AD goes for the record in the second half.

mdklatt
12/4/2006, 11:06 AM
In the last few weeks, we've seen the running gameplan - OSU and Baylor, and the passing gameplan - TTech and Nebbish. Which do we pull out for Boise?

I don't think we have two different gameplans. We take whatever the defense gives once the game begins. I doubt it was our plan to run for 24 yards or whatever it was against Nebraska.

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2006, 11:08 AM
Colleyville - I have different numbers, from SI http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/stats/

In any event, the point remains that they haven't faced any particularly strong running teams, and their pass defense has not been impressive.

The good news is, we can probably do both.

I'd like to see some passing early on to soften up the D, and get us a lead, and then AD goes for the record in the second half.

The stats on that link are from 2002.

Use this link for 2006 on cnnsi and update if you want:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/stats/2006/divia/team/rushing_offense_byRUSHYDS_PER_GAME.html

Tulsa_Fireman
12/4/2006, 11:20 AM
Bah, where's your heads, boys?

Keeping a defense honest with misdirection, playaction and screens!?

Early passing to soften up a defense for the run!?

You guys are killin' me. Why? In the name of all that's holy and crimson, why?

You step up, man for man, hat for hat, double up and punch 'em right in the snoot. Pow. Gutshot. If they stop it, go from there. If they don't... they're in for one hell of a long day.

Chrisrokc
12/4/2006, 04:43 PM
I say the running games for us is going to be huge. AD wants to beat Billy's record....

Miko
12/4/2006, 04:58 PM
I say we run until AD has the record, AOC, CB and Gute have a hundred each, run intil every member of the rufneks, pride, and pompom squad has had a few carries.

Then we start lighting them up with some passes to reward Malcome and crew for their downfield blocking.

:D

Harry Beanbag
12/4/2006, 05:25 PM
They're actually a lot bigger throughout their lineup than I thought they would be...

http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9900&KEY=&ATCLID=576627&SPID=4061&SPSID=54308

BASSooner
12/4/2006, 06:34 PM

Bosie State is ranked 90th against the pass at 239.8 yards given up per game (including a whopping 532 against NCAA leading Hawaii).

Boise State is 14th giving up 106 yards against the run.

21st - giving up 18.7 points scoring, and 45th giving up 346 yards in total defense.

Given this, you would assume we will highlight the pass. But given Boise's schedule, I think anyone would be good against the run. Check this out:

Sac St. - 55th in Div 1-AA
OSU - 50th
Wy - 107th
HI - 101st
Utah - 48th
La Tech - 96th
N Mex St - 18th
Idaho - 97th
Fresno - 80th
San Jose - 99th
Utah St - 112th
Nevada - 71st.

The only decent running team they played was New Mexico State, who gained 534 yards, all but 5 of which was through the air. Not sure what that says although Boise got up 21-0 early and so I assume NMS abandoned the run.

I would assume we try and run on them. That has worked to win games, but it has also worked to keep other teams in the game.
anything really. they have no defense

shavedmarmoset
12/4/2006, 08:19 PM
They don't have anywhere near as much depth as we do. We run and hit 'em in the mouth early and let them know whats up and if they get together and stop the run, we run a playaction rollout to Jermaine Gresham and proceed to dominate via the pass.

yermom
12/4/2006, 08:35 PM
with their schedule, i can't imagine their run defense numbers are a good representation of their quality

obviously we will start running at them. if they have to sell out to stop us then their undersized secondary will have to play lights out to hang with our recievers

Texas Golfer
12/4/2006, 09:23 PM
I think we'll probably be fairly well balanced. Give AD as many touches as he needs to break the record and, whenever they come up to stack the box, burn them for that error with a pass to Kelly.

badger
12/4/2006, 09:48 PM
Give it to the guy wearing #28!!!

Blitzkrieg
12/8/2006, 11:57 AM
ninjee

soonerjoker
12/8/2006, 12:06 PM
haS ANYONE EVER CHECKED TO SEE IF bILLY'S BOWL GAMES ARE INCLUDED
IN HIS TOTAL YARDAGE ?????

Blitzkrieg
12/8/2006, 12:25 PM
They weren't back then. No champ game either, and AD got yards in the champ game 2 years ago.

soonerspudman
12/8/2006, 12:28 PM
As a sooner living in Boise, I've watched this team all year. BSU is, in fact, undersized on defense and posessing only average speed. They are disciplined and they do know how to hit in the mouth. That said, KW will do what he's done all year - look at how BSU's D lines up on Jan 1 and take advantage of what they're doing. You can imagine that BSU may come out with a "stop the run first" scheme and take their chances on PT, but KW may decide to test their run stopping ability regardless, then evaluate his options. Against the nebbn'rs you may recall we tested the run at first and it just didn't go, thus the PT/MK show. Pick your poisen, net is OU's offense has too many mismatches v. BSU across the board and will roll...

Partial Qualifier
12/8/2006, 12:31 PM

Blitz is correct but I'm pretty sure they retrofitted his career totals with his bowl yardages and his record includes those numbers.

Spudman nails it. Too many personnel mismatches.... if we come to play, which I'm sure we will... we win this game easily no matter what scheme we have in place

TheHumanAlphabet
12/8/2006, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing one word...

SCHMIDDY!

Desert Sapper
12/8/2006, 01:00 PM
The depth chart says that they are really small on the D-Line and in the secondary. That may mean that they are really fast. I can't imagine you beat teams in the WAC unless you can cover in the secondary. We will run, we will run, we will run. We will win with good old smash-mouth football. Their O passes the paper test. They have decent size across the board and their line looks as big as any we've faced.

It boils down to our ability to run well against their D and our ability to cover their receivers in the secondary, put pressure on Zabransky, and stop Ian Johnson when he gets the ball.

Historically, the blue field has provided the only significant advantage to Boise in Bowl Games. They've never been matched against a team like OU, and they've certainly never been to a BCS bowl game. That said, neither had Utah in 2004.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/8/2006, 01:06 PM

They did not used to be, however I believe all records in the NCAA have been updated to include players bowl stats. And I'm pretty sure those reflected by OU now do indeed include his carries and yards from the bowl games.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/8/2006, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah... On topic.... I say we smash it right at 'em to start the game. See what kind of power we are dealing with up the middle. I think they'll bring decent speed to the game, but their DT's and LB's are a touch (not a lot) undersized. (Their DE's have good size.) If we can get them to tense/bunch up in the middle right at the very start then we might have the opportunity to pop a couple of wide plays at the LOS (either pitch sweeps or quick screens to the WR's.)

soonerboy_odanorth
12/8/2006, 01:19 PM
And BTW, I really really hope everyone is taking this (players, coaches, fans...not that we fans really matter) matchup very very seriously.

TCU. That should be all that needs to be said.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/8/2006, 01:23 PM
This is not the team that played TCU...I think they have woken up a bit.

The Maestro
12/8/2006, 01:55 PM
It's Boise State. Their stats mean nothing since they haven't played anyone except for Oregon State...and that only halfway counts. That's like saying I get laid everytime I go out. Okay...what if I only go out to Henry Hudson's? My stats are meaningless!

The WAC is the Henry Hudson's of college football!

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/8/2006, 01:58 PM
Give it to the guy wearing #28!!!
I was thinkin the same thing.

JohnnyMack
12/8/2006, 02:21 PM
5'11", 5'9",5'10",5'9", 5'9". = Size of Bronco CBs.

Line those guys up over there and I'll go Grixby on them.
http://www.sdhoc.com/main/articles/aztecs/Longrecruits/Image00059135

Someone have that picture of MK going up over Grixby to pull in that ball?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/8/2006, 02:54 PM
I don't think we have two different gameplans. We take whatever the defense gives once the game begins. I doubt it was our plan to run for 24 yards or whatever it was against Nebraska.

I agree. Neb decided that they were going to sell out against the run. Put 8 and sometimes 9 guys in the box (like some teams did against AD) and make PT beat them throwing the ball. They also made the rather stupid assumption that Grigsby wouldn't need safety help against Kelly....and we wore them out throwing the ball outside, especially to Kelly.

The moment Neb stopped bringing 8-9 guys after the run, late when the game was virtually decided, we got some yards on the ground. If Wilson wanted too we could have banged our head against a wall running the ball and wound up with 120-140 yards rushing...and very well may have lost.

Having said all that: I don't think Boise will be nearly as tough against the run as was Neb. If you see Bermuda Sooner's post Boise faced one rushing attack this year ranked higher than 48th in the country. Plus factor in some of those teams were playing catch-up. Boise State IS NOT the 14th best team in the country against the run.

I'm confident the staff will come up with a sound game plan but I think the overall idea is fairly simple, if the safety(ies) are brought in to support against the run Kelly toasts their CB one on one. If they don't load up against the run, AD and AP wear them out. Either way I'm not concerned with us moving the ball, only concern is turnovers.

Blitzkrieg
12/8/2006, 05:19 PM
5'11", 5'9",5'10",5'9", 5'9". = Size of Bronco CBs.

Line those guys up over there and I'll go Grixby on them.
http://www.sdhoc.com/main/articles/aztecs/Longrecruits/Image00059135

Someone have that picture of MK going up over Grixby to pull in that ball?

http://www.kansascity.com/images/kansascity/kansascitystar/news/Big12Fball_SP_1118_12-2-2006_JFS_12-03-2006_ULPG4J0.jpg

http://www.kansascity.com/images/kansascity/kansascitystar/news/Big12Fball_SP_0464_12-2-2006_J.1_12-03-2006_ULPG44K.jpg

St. Louis Sooner
12/8/2006, 10:29 PM
Run ... definitely run. We pound it at 'em until they stop us because Nebraska showed (with a fairly average offense) how to move the ball on OU's D. Running keeps their O off the field, and eats up the clock.

I'm convinced Stoops has learned from the suc fiasco in the OB how to modify his gameplan to counter our adversary's full month of preparation. I look for a few new plays and/or new looks to keep the spuds guessing. ADs return should give us great opportunity to accomplish just that. Imagine AP/UPS slashing up the gut, and AD with the power at and outside the tackes?!! Also, it would be great to see AD with one of the others in the backfield flanking ENA on shotgun formations.

We've got to run the ball ... our size and speed advantages should really make 'em cry if we are successful at the run.

starrca23
12/8/2006, 10:37 PM
Well, ESPN is scrolling that AD has been cleared to play, I assume that kind of answers the question.

jacru
12/8/2006, 11:38 PM
We will run. We will pass. We will score. We will win.

RRWSooner
12/8/2006, 11:51 PM
Run em down the first half.

Pass in the 2nd half. Just like the 99 yard drive.

This could get UGLY

douxpaysan
12/9/2006, 12:29 AM
It's Boise State. Their stats mean nothing since they haven't played anyone except for Oregon State...and that only halfway counts. That's like saying I get laid everytime I go out. Okay...what if I only go out to Henry Hudson's? My stats are meaningless!

The WAC is the Henry Hudson's of college football!
Is this the Henry Hudson of which you speak?http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t011/T011367A.jsm:pop:

OUWxGuesser
12/9/2006, 02:42 AM
My call for the first play of the game: fake the hand off to AD and throw it deep to Kelly. Pound em hard with the run after that.

Blitzkrieg
12/9/2006, 11:03 AM
Run ... definitely run. We pound it at 'em until they stop us because Nebraska showed (with a fairly average offense) how to move the ball on OU's D. Running keeps their O off the field, and eats up the clock.

NU has a legit top 10 offense.

SoonerFanInAustin
12/9/2006, 02:06 PM
Run the ball, they are not very big.....

Bronco Defense
Left End 97 Nick Schlekeway 6-4 262 Jr.
74 Mike Dominguez 6-2 255 Sr.
or 53 Sean Bingham 6-3 254 So.
Left Tackle 92 Dennis Ellis 6-3 270 Sr.
67 Joe Bozikovich 6-1 295 So.
94 Phillip Edwards 6-4 277 So.
Right Tackle 57 Andrew Browning 6-0 278 Sr.
90 Ian Smart 6-3 278 Jr.
95 Sione Tavake 6-1
Jr.

Right End 96 Mike G. Williams 6-3 244 Sr.
or 93 Mike T. Williams 6-4 238 So.
SAM 31 Colt Brooks 6-1 216 Sr.
24 Tim Brady 6-1 221 So.
MIKE 25 Korey Hall 6-1 228 Sr.
56 Josh Bean 6-2 231 Jr.
WILL 43 David Shields 6-2 225 So.
44 Kyle Gingg 5-11 215 So.
Safety 2 Gerald Alexander 6-0 204 Sr
46 Jon Barry Van Hoogen 6-2 211 So.
Safety 20 Marty Tadman 5-11 182 Jr.
18 Ellis Powers 5-10 205 So.
Cornerback 8 Orlando Scandrick 5-11 187 So.
37 Austin Smith 5-9 173 Jr.
Cornerback 22 Kyle Wilson 5-10 186 Fr.
23 Quinton Jones 5-9 177 Sr.
16 Tristan Patin 5-9 166 Fr.

starclassic tama
12/9/2006, 02:10 PM
why pick one when we will be able to do anything we want against those mid major pansies

yermom
12/9/2006, 02:22 PM
i hope you are right...

still, AD getting yards + eating up the clock sounds good to me, i'd rather their offense have as little chance as possible to torch us

OUTrumpet
12/9/2006, 04:20 PM
I say we do what we did early on in the season that worked against UO, Wash, Texas (albeit minus fumbles) and ISU, and maybe even Mizzou - pound AD, PA rollouts for some short/intermediate routes, and play real physical ball.

So run first, but throw the ball more than we did against A&M and OSU, but run the ball more than we did against Tech/Nebraska.

I think we can very well do what we want against their defense, because they seem kinda undersized with an emphasis on speed. We'll probably do a more run-oriented attack because of that.

FlatheadSooner
12/9/2006, 05:02 PM
Re: Run or Pass gameplan vs. Boise?

Yes. :)

Texas Golfer
12/9/2006, 09:24 PM
If we stay fairly balanced, we'll be just fine.