PDA

View Full Version : If you need something to do...

mdklatt
12/4/2006, 12:52 AM
...compile a list of talking heads who are saying Michigan deserves to play Ohio State again, but were saying OU didn't deserve to play in the Sugar Bowl in 2003 because we didn't "win" our conference and lost late instead of early. And then we'll kick them in the nuts.

Spanish Sooner
12/4/2006, 01:03 AM
isn't that like I dunno.....all of them

SoonerDood
12/4/2006, 01:03 AM
yes. I thought of exactly the same thing today.
They tweaked the BCS so 'that season' wouldn't happen again, and then they almost made it happen.
Every year they tweak it to make sure "that" never happens again, but it just ensures something else will.
The BCS is so messed up now it doesn't do any good.

SoonerDood
12/4/2006, 01:05 AM
yes. Make a similar note of everyone who said, "Oklahoma could lose this game and still be in the Sugar Bowl. That's how good they are." and one week later say, "Oklahoma doesn't deserve to be there."
Make a similar note of everyone who said, "Oklahoma needs to stop whining about Oregon." and now say, "If not for Oregon, Oklahoma would be..."

mdklatt
12/4/2006, 01:06 AM

Nope, not all of them. Most of them who were pimping an OSU/Michigan rematch two weeks or even two days ago have flip-flopped and are now saying Florida is the correct choice. Kirk Herbstreit is still pimping Michigan. Does anybody remember what he was saying in 2003?

tbl
12/4/2006, 01:07 AM
Didn't we lose the Sugar Bowl?

Soonerus
12/4/2006, 01:13 AM
Ohio State vs. Florida is the right game this year, Michigan had their chance, the only other team with a strong argument is OU as also a 12-1 team...

Spanish Sooner
12/4/2006, 01:19 AM
Thats the thing I don't get, I don't see controversy. If it was between two 1 loss teams like lets say USC had beeten UCLA then ya I would see controversy. But to me, the fact that Michigan had their shot, and lost means that there should be no controversy. Michigan lost to Ohio State head to head, it was a close game sure, but its a loss none the less. Ohio State shouldn't have to beat the same team twice. Besides if the talking heads keep pimping up how great the regular season is, and that the losses at the end of the season count the most then they shouldn't reward a team that lost their last game. Because by saying that that loss shouldn't matter then it makes them hypocrites in my mind, though they all are anyways. But I just don't think there should be a rematch of a late season loss, especially if it was the last game of the season. Michigan had a shot and blew it. They lost, no controversy. They had there shot for Glendale and it was lost when they lost to Ohio State

sooner518
12/4/2006, 01:31 AM
Didn't we lose the Sugar Bowl?
according to Scott Van Pelt on Sportscenter tonight, we were "beaten handily" in that game

Im serious! You cant make this stuff up

Spanish Sooner
12/4/2006, 01:34 AM
both Lou Holtz(who seems to be much smarter and fairer then Mark May and the guy he replaced Trev Alberts) and Mark May agree that Florida was the best choice.

tigepilot
12/4/2006, 01:36 AM
Regarding the tweaking, there's always going to be controversy no matter how you decide to figure it... nothing wrong with that though imho. I liked the formula best when it was AP + Coaches + Computers (no margin of victory) + Strength of Schedule + Quality wins (over top ten teams) though even then there were some things I would have liked to have tweaked.

Spanish Sooner
12/4/2006, 01:49 AM
One thing I will be happy about, regardless of who wins, on January 8th Texas will no longer be the defending national champions.

Ike
12/4/2006, 01:55 AM
This is exactly why I only use ESPN.com or other sports websites or tv station for the pictures and the stats.

everything else is like playing cards with my brothers kids.

Soonerus
12/4/2006, 01:58 AM
Frick, Texas barely made a real bowl, if you consider Alamo a real bowl for Texas....not really....

OUinFLA
12/4/2006, 08:13 AM
Regarding the tweaking, there's always going to be controversy no matter how you decide to figure it... nothing wrong with that though imho. I liked the formula best when it was AP + Coaches + Computers (no margin of victory) + Strength of Schedule + Quality wins (over top ten teams) though even then there were some things I would have liked to have tweaked.

that one made sense to me.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
12/4/2006, 09:59 AM
What I find most interesting about the whole BCS thing, is that it was designed to take the human element outh of it. Or at least minimize the influence. Humans were to biased. What have you done latley, east coast and west coast, and even coaching friendships made them biased. Now all anyone talks about is how they hate the computers and want the human polls to make the descisions. I wish they would make up their freakin minds.
That being said, the other goal was to get the two best teams to play for the MNC. I don't really care that Michigan lost to Ohio State already. I think they are the two best teams. I don't really care to see a rematch and I think that Michigan had their chance. BUT, if they want to match the two best teams, I think they are it. But thats just me.
On a side note, what happens if Michigan wins, Florida wins, and all three have one loss? Are we going to have THREE national champs? I bet if Ohio State loses they will still get some first place votes.

SoonerFaninAZ
12/4/2006, 11:07 AM
I liked the formula best when it was AP + Coaches + Computers (no margin of victory) + Strength of Schedule + Quality wins (over top ten teams) though even then there were some things I would have liked to have tweaked.

I think the reason they removed the SOS from the formula is because the computers had already factored in a SOS component and the BCS felt that was placing too heavy an emphasis on schedule.

yur-out
12/4/2006, 11:28 AM
Kirk Herbstreit is still pimping Michigan. Does anybody remember what he was saying in 2003?
I remember what Herbstreit was saying on ESPN game day just before the Michigan and Ohio state game. "There should not be a rematch between these two teams, Who ever wins today's game that's it, they've had there shot". Herbstreit is just like the other ESPN analyst, they ALL need to change their name to Maytag (Mark May is half way there :P ) because they're so wishy-washy IMO.

BoonesFarmSooner
12/4/2006, 11:42 AM
Michigan and their President need to convince the Big 10 to implement a Championship game, instead of whining about things. Florida (and OU in the Big 12) had to play an extra game a top-ranked opponent in their Championship Game.

It's about time someone gets rewarded for that!!!

jrsooner
12/4/2006, 11:48 AM
yes. I thought of exactly the same thing today.
They tweaked the BCS so 'that season' wouldn't happen again, and then they almost made it happen.
Every year they tweak it to make sure "that" never happens again, but it just ensures something else will.
The BCS is so messed up now it doesn't do any good.We did tweak it enough. We lost the AP talking heads, so they couldn't mess it up with their flip flopping every year. :)