PDA

View Full Version : What's so different about the offense this year?

FormerSoonerProf
12/3/2006, 09:17 PM
I have studied the offense this year and after some early miscues, the coaching has been quite exceptional. They run more in some games and they pass more in some others. They
(1) exploit the weaknesses of the defenses they play against
- pass like crazy and abandon the run against some teams, and then run like crazy and abandon the pass against others.
(2) After AD went out, they had to be creative - create plays that successfully take advantage of the talent they have... never relying on one AD to work miracles time and again... in a way , good thing that AD was out?? (i know I will be crucified for this?) - this sets the foundation for a season ahead without AD.
(3) Simple offense for Paul Thompson to run... keep it simple.. everyone on same page....

And finally, defense sucked it in and has become easily the best in college football.

I think the way they are playing now, they would give Ohio state a run for their money.

oumartin
12/3/2006, 09:38 PM
Chuck Long aint calling the plays and muffing up the mojo

AzianSooner
12/3/2006, 09:44 PM
I only have one question:

How can Nev defense penentrate the OU offense line so quick to stop the run?

AzianSooner
12/3/2006, 09:45 PM
I only have one question:

How can Neb defense penentrate the OU offense line so quick to stop the run?

oumartin
12/3/2006, 09:48 PM
Nev? we dent play Nevada

AzianSooner
12/3/2006, 09:51 PM
Sorry.. fixed the quesiton.

TUSooner
12/3/2006, 09:53 PM
- pass like crazy and abandon the run against some teams, and then run like crazy and abandon the pass against others.

Great point. We have won with either running like crazy (aTm) or by passing (Nebby)

Scott D
12/3/2006, 10:19 PM
I have studied the offense this year and after some early miscues, the coaching has been quite exceptional. They run more in some games and they pass more in some others. They
(2) After AD went out, they had to be creative - create plays that successfully take advantage of the talent they have... never relying on one AD to work miracles time and again... in a way , good thing that AD was out?? (i know I will be crucified for this?) - this sets the foundation for a season ahead without AD.
(3) Simple offense for Paul Thompson to run... keep it simple.. everyone on same page....

And finally, defense sucked it in and has become easily the best in college football.

I think the way they are playing now, they would give Ohio state a run for their money.

The mental acuity and intelligence of the person taking the snaps as compared to the one a year ago.

soonervet
12/3/2006, 10:34 PM
The answer is in the first post....with the new playcalling, we are willing to actually gameplan and adapt for people. Last year, we would be content on just trying what was done in games' past and win or lose stick to it. It says a lot about your offense and coaching to completely change from game to game the plan and attack and to actually pull it off. Kudos to wilson and the offense.

AzianSooner
12/3/2006, 10:39 PM
I kind of see the new OL coach Patton has gain trust and respect from OL players. I truly think Bob always seems to get excellent assistant coaches.

shavedmarmoset
12/4/2006, 12:42 AM
Rolling the QB out of the pocket for one.

St. Louis Sooner
12/4/2006, 01:24 AM
The calm, quiet, confident demeanor of our QB. We didn't have it last year, and it rattled the confidence of the whole team.

Stoops started his system at OU of depending solely on the QB to lead the team ... and it's been the focus ever since. Thompson simply "has it". Heupel "had it" ... White "had it" too ... Hybl even "had it", especially at the Rose Bowl ... Alas, Bomar never had it.

It's kind of amazing that of these QBs to play under Stoops, Bomar was the real odd man out: Loud, boisterous, very arrogant, careless, etc... but the other four were/are extremely likeable dudes, and it seems they were well-liked by the team too.

Blues1
12/4/2006, 01:32 AM
Amen to all the above posts.....

But I like this ONE the best ......

"The mental acuity and intelligence of the person taking the snaps as compared to the one a year ago."

Still Waters Run Deep ---- Go PT ---!!!!

Rhino
12/4/2006, 11:45 AM
Efficient O-Line.
Calm QB.
Not-so-green WRs.

ADalltheway
12/4/2006, 01:13 PM
This is what I am talking about I think that the best move of 2005 was to see Chuck Long move on his way he was a good coach but in my opion I believe that he became to predictable. I like what Kevin Wilson did against Nebraska with coming out passing what a change of pace. It made the difference in the game imo.

cjames317
12/4/2006, 01:49 PM

Much spek to Kevin Wilson. Unfortunately for us, I think he will start showing up on the short list for head coaches next year.