PDA

View Full Version : an open letter to Coach Stoops

jk the sooner fan
12/3/2006, 05:52 PM
Dear Bob,

what a magnificent job you and your staff have done this season. Before the first kickoff, you made a decision to remove the names from the back of the jerseys.....a move that really didnt sit well with alot of fans. You said that you wanted to remind the players that it was an issue of team, and not individual.....or something like that

I think the players have earned the right to get their names back on their jerseys...what a great christmas gift that would be to the fans and the team a week before your new years day bowl game.

Sincerely,

jk the sooner fan.

OK2LA
12/3/2006, 05:55 PM
Don't jinx them now!

zeke
12/3/2006, 06:02 PM
Dont change now

badger
12/3/2006, 06:11 PM
Daer B0b,
You teh awesom3!!!1! Call h1m Callah0wn3d!!!!1!
~n00b

85Sooner
12/3/2006, 06:14 PM
I belive the names were removed because the new jerseys(which I personnally don't like) Do not have the room to put the names on the back. At least that was Nike's statement. Could be wrong.

TDArkansasOhMy
12/3/2006, 06:21 PM
Stoops and his staff really did do a great job this season. If not for what went on down at Wake Forest the year, I'd say Bob Stoops should without a doubt be coach of the year. But you can't deny the lack of talent that Jim Grobe had.

being an SEC man, the word in coffee shops the last few days is that Bob Stoops is going to be the next head Football coach at Alabama. Have anyone here in the state of Oklahoma hear anything about this? We haven't in Arkansas. Everything I have heard or read, says to me that coach Stoops is very happy as head man with the Sooners. So it would come as a shock to me if he accept this position.

Congrats of ysalls win over Nebraska last evening and good luck with Boise State. Looks like a good match up.

Good Luck

OUHOMER
12/3/2006, 06:22 PM
Dear Coach Stoops, tell Nike to redesign the shirts, Please.

Widescreen
12/3/2006, 06:23 PM
being an SEC man, the word in coffee shops the last few days is that Bob Stoops is going to be the next head Football coach at Alabama. Have anyone here in the state of Oklahoma hear anything about this? We haven't in Arkansas. Everything I have heard or read, says to me that coach Stoops is very happy as head man with the Sooners. So it would come as a shock to me if he accept this position.
Tee hee.

PrideTrombone
12/3/2006, 06:28 PM

The only person I've seen suggesting that is one lonely person on tidefans.com who would really really love for Stoops to be a candidate. I wouldn't count on it.

aero
12/3/2006, 06:34 PM
Not sure why Bob would leave OU for any other school. At best it would be a lateral move and more than likely a regression.

OK2LA
12/3/2006, 06:37 PM
I was very surprised to hear that they have coffee shops in Alabama.

TDArkansasOhMy
12/3/2006, 06:40 PM
The only person I've seen suggesting that is one lonely person on tidefans.com who would really really love for Stoops to be a candidate. I wouldn't count on it.

Yeah, I have never been to that rag of a site. This is from a classy site that was posted by a guy who had a very interesting read. I believe Sooner fan would like to read this so if you don't mind, I'll put what he post. I found it very interesting ans a very good read.

----

Posted on 12/0306 on a Bama MB.

By, "TheMaster"

FACT:
* Alabama goes 10 - 2 to close out the 2005 football season.
* In May 2006, CMS was given a contract extension with a significant pay raise.
* In most preseason media publications Alabama is picked middle of the pack in the SEC West with most speculating a 7-5 or 8-4 season.
* In September, the media questions the staggering of suspensions for 7 players over a 3 game span.
* During the Vandy game, rounds of boos begin to resound through Bryant-Denny.
* After the debacle in Fayetteville, that voice of discontent gets louder and stronger.
* With unimpressive wins over Duke and Ole Miss, the Bama Nation is in an all out panic.
* Calls for CMS firing grow with each passing game.
* CMS was fired 8 days AFTER the Iron Bowl (IB).
* After the IB there were 2 weeks remaining in the Season.
* In MM press conference he mentions that he is looking for a coach with a "proven record of achievement" and "proven ability of success that we feel can take us to a championship level."
* Immediately, FlightAware.com has to increase its bandwidth from the onslaught of planes being tracked from Tuscaloosa and beyond.
* The day after CMS firing, Jimmy Sexton quotes no interest from CSS or CNS BUT that our hiring would "shock" everyone.
* CNS scolds the firing of Mike Shula saying he should have been given another year and that he isn't interested.
* From the BOL staff to other Bama board owners, there normally reliable "sources" seem to be mislead or mistaken. Words like "fluid" and "can change at any time" are prevalent.
* The Bama Nation is in a frenzy for the rumors that CSS may be a candidate. The reason for Spurriers delay in being interviewed and/or announced, a Peach Bowl birth for his USC team? (What??)
* Posters try to justify there belief in a particular candidate by quoting a friend of a friend ten times removed.
* One of Bama's most beloved figures, Shaun Alexander, states in an interview that he knows who will be Alabama's next coach and that he was a winner and had won a NC.
* The Tide faithful jump on Shaun's words as if he was saying to Dan Patrick that Steve Spurrier or Nick Saban would be the next coach at Alabama.
* Statements that the deal on the table being worth 30 million dollars over 7 years and that we are willing to give him all the power that his heart so desires. (Bama has proven to be desperate in former coaching searches, but I don't believe the powers that be are as stupid as some of you believe.)
* Those who are usually trustworthy, in regards to "secret" information coming from the University, seem to sit with eggs on their face after Spurrier meets with his team and says "your stuck with me."
* A poster on Gamecock Central states that his wife spoke with Jerri Spurrier in regards to the rumors of their leaving Columbia. Jerri stated that she and Steve loved Carolina and were staying but that Steve was assisting Alabama in their search.
* Trying to clean the egg yoke off their face Friday morning, some try to justify their "source" or their belief by saying that the deal fell through. (Was there really a deal? NOBODY can say with all certainty an offer was made except for a few, and none of them post here.)
* Friday, a weekly WV newspaper runs a story stating that CRR would meet with Alabama officials to discuss the job next week. CRR calls into a local radio show to dispell the rumor but doesn't go as far as most Mountaineers would like.
* Saturday, while all of the other SEC AD's are at the Georgia Dome, MM is diligently "searching for a coach."
* Now, 1 hour before the Dolphins - Jaguars game, some in the Bama nation have become HUGE Jag fans.

MY QUESTIONS...
* Does anyone REALLY believe we started this search this week?
* Why would MM fire CMS after a 10 - 2 season, a contract extension AND the knowledge before the season we were'nt going to do much better than 6 - 6?
* Does Jimmy Sexton know what he's talking about "shocking" the college football world? (He's a lawyer, his lips are moving...sorry BamaLawyer)
* Would Shaun outright lie that he knew who it was and that the Coach had won a NC? (Shaun's not a lawyer)
* If Steve Spurrier turned down 2 million dollars 2 years ago and told USC to give it to his Assistants, why would he "coach speak" for a raise?
* Would CNS scold us for CMS firing one week and the next accept the same job for which his friend was fired?
* Why are "sources" so unreliable in this process?

MY TAKE...
I believe that contact was made with a particular "proven, successful" coach or his agent during the season. I believe that the delay in Shula's firing was to give that coach the time to finish his season before the Mike Raita's caught wind of it. I believe that the University allowed perceptions to be used as smoke screens to cover the tracks of the real #1 candidate. I believe Shaun Alexander (rules out CRR). I don't believe that CMM would pin our hopes on a NFL coach who hasn't proven that he can stay in a job longer than 4 years without running to greener pastures. I believe with all that is within me, to my Crimson core, our next Head Coach will be Bob Stoops.

I also believe that this situation is "fluid and can change at anytime."

------

I hope you all enjoyed this thread as much as I did. Seems that Stoops name just came out of the blue, from a guy that for the most part was making very good points on lots of issues.

sooner518
12/3/2006, 06:50 PM
seems pretty ironclad to me. Maybe we can get Boo back. I heard one SF poster talked to him in an elevator last night. I wonder if we can convince him to come back

OU-HSV
12/3/2006, 06:53 PM
You mean there's another rumor of Stoops taking a different coaching job. I can't believe it. ;) No way Stoops would leave OU for Bama (or frankly any other college). If he leaves OU it will be for an NFL job. And I don't even see that happening, he simply seems content with what he has going on here.

Back to the topic...great thread JK. And props to Stoops and company.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/3/2006, 06:54 PM
I belive the names were removed because the new jerseys(which I personnally don't like) Do not have the room to put the names on the back. At least that was Nike's statement. Could be wrong.
Ugh, the new jerseys look sweaty and really tight. Like baby doll t's.

badger
12/3/2006, 07:03 PM
Can Bama afford to pay the players and Stoops?

Shopping list:
-40 okay players at $1,000 secret stipend each: $40,000
-20 good players at new concealed car each: $400,000
-10 awesome players at new job for parents, new house for family, and secret stipend for Escalade each: $1,000,000
-1 Coach Stoops at raise to convince him to move: $10,000,000
-1 Revived Bear Bryant to convince Bama nation to believe again: $5,000,000
Total: $16,440,000

:D

Ash
12/3/2006, 07:03 PM
You mean there's another rumor of Stoops taking a different coaching job. I can't believe it. ;) No way Stoops would leave OU for Bama (or frankly any other college). If he leaves OU it will be for an NFL job. And I don't even see that happening, he simply seems content with what he has going on here.

Once and for all (yeah right:rolleyes: ),
Stoops had a chance to go to Florida along with any number of other jobs he was rumored to be a candidate for, and that includes NFL jobs. He didn't, he isn't, maybe in the future but not anytime soon.

Innerweb rumor mongers SUCCS monkey parts.

Oh yeah, and Bama??? Bwahahahaha!!!!! Bama fan needs to realize that the job isn't as great as they think it is.

Back to the topic...great thread JK. And props to Stoops and company.

Yes and Yes.

OU-HSV
12/3/2006, 07:05 PM
Once and for all (yeah right:rolleyes: ),
Stoops had a chance to go to Florida along with any number of other jobs he was rumored to be a candidate for, and that includes NFL jobs. He didn't, he isn't, maybe in the future but not anytime soon.

Innerweb rumor mongers SUCCS monkey parts.

Oh yeah, and Bama??? Bwahahahaha!!!!! Bama fan needs to realize that the job isn't as great as they think it is.

Yes and Yes.
What prize did I win Ash? :D

bigdsooner
12/3/2006, 07:17 PM
Stoops and his staff really did do a great job this season. If not for what went on down at Wake Forest the year, I'd say Bob Stoops should without a doubt be coach of the year. But you can't deny the lack of talent that Jim Grobe had.

Congrats of ysalls win over Nebraska last evening and good luck with Boise State. Looks like a good match up.

Good Luck

yes, its official. stoops will leave norman on monday after he meets with the players to let them know that he has accepted the bama job. venables and wilson will coach the Sooners in the Fiesta Bowl :rolleyes: .

picasso
12/3/2006, 07:19 PM
You had me at hello.

-Picasso

OUHOMER
12/3/2006, 07:35 PM
maybe we can get Nutt to replace Bob.

Crimson Kid
12/3/2006, 08:07 PM
Bob has done stated that he isn't looking at anyone else, now when most any other coach says this, i would say he's gone, but when bob says it, i truly believe him.

But, when he does feel the time has come to move on, and it will come, i do believe he will be up front with us, and wouldn't leave us scrambling for a new coach at the last minute.
---------------------------------------------------

Thank you ! bob stoops for taking a chance on oklahoma, i think it paid of big time for both parties, we were a school coming off probation crappy seasons, and head coaches that just didn't fit what we needed. then one day god decided that we had suffered enough and sent us someone to restore our faith in our program, to be honest, i hadn't really heard much about you, but i felt in my heart that we had something special in you, not trying to sound chessy, but you had this glow to you and every sooner could feel it and see it, we knew we had found our "sooner magic".

You are very special person to me, not only because what you have done with the football program, but what you have done as a person, and how you have held yourself as a man, i have nothing but respect for you.

I say again, thank you bob, i hope you stay with us for along time, i know we have become a bit spoiled from winning and being back on top of the mountain again, but i can assure you that we are very happy with you and love what you have done with our team and what you will do, you're a good person great coach and respected man............God Bless you BOB STOOPS...

picasso
12/3/2006, 08:11 PM

Good Luck
word in any coffee shops plus 2 dollars will get you an um....cup of coffee.

OU-HSV
12/3/2006, 08:21 PM
You sure this "coffee shop" wasn't in Amsterdam??