PDA

View Full Version : Jason Whitlock... Nice work and well put!

EstablishedSooner1967
12/3/2006, 05:52 PM
Not sure if this got posted... I read this in KC and thought I would share how well put this was from a non Sooner writer.

BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP
Sooners lacking in BCS resume
JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

The one-loss debate will rage today, and Bob Stoops’ Oklahoma Sooners will be left out of the discussion for the wrong reason.

The Sooners, 21-7 victors over Nebraska in Saturday night’s Big 12 title game at Arrowhead Stadium, lost one game this year. They lost the Red River Shootout when the Texas Longhorns were a very good team. No shame in that. It can be marked down as a high-quality loss.

Oklahoma’s second loss (34-33 to Oregon) should be considered a crime, perpetrated by a Pac-10 replay ref with a shady reputation. The Sooners did not lose at Oregon. They were mugged by inept/dishonest officiating. You know the story.

If not for that crime, the Sooners, 11-2, might very well be in the debate about which team should face Ohio State in the BCS title game. Oklahoma’s record would be as impressive as Florida’s, Michigan’s, Louisville’s and Wisconsin’s — BCS teams with just one loss.

But the truth is Oklahoma’s resume — and there’s a huge difference between record and resume — isn’t as impressive as Florida’s and Michigan’s. The Gators and the Wolverines are the only schools with a legitimate claim for the spot opposite Ohio State in college football’s biggest game.

I say the Gators deserve the spot. At 12-1, and with victories over Arkansas, LSU and Tennessee, no other one-loss team — including Michigan — can match Florida’s resume. Michigan beat Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

The Sooners can gripe that they should be No. 4 heading into the bowl season. And I’m inclined to agree.

Wisconsin is an absolute fraud. The Badgers are 11-1 thanks to a nonconference schedule — Bowling Green, Western Illinois, San Diego State and Buffalo — that would make Bill Snyder blush, and the fact that Ohio State didn’t appear on their conference schedule.

The debate for No. 4 is between the Sooners and Louisville. The Cardinals, 11-1, have one high-quality victory this season. They beat West Virginia in an offensive track meet. The rest of Louisville’s victories are over mediocre teams.

I contend Oklahoma’s victories over Missouri, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oregon and Nebraska trump Louisville’s victories over West Virginia, South Florida, Pittsburgh and Kansas State. Plus, Oklahoma’s lone legit loss (Texas) is better than Louisville’s loss to Rutgers.

This morning, when I file my AP top-25 ballot, the Sooners will be my fourth team, and Bob Stoops will be my coach of the year. Ohio State’s Jim Tressel is likely to sweep coach of the year awards this year. He’ll deserve the accolades that come his way.

But Stoops outcoached everyone this season. He lost his quarterback, Rhett Bomar, in August because of NCAA violations. Stoops then lost the game’s best player, running back Adrian Peterson, to a fluke injury midway through the season.

Stoops moved receiver Paul Thompson back to quarterback to replace Bomar. And the Sooners used a committee of backs to replace Peterson.

In Saturday night’s championship game, Thompson played brilliantly. He threw for 95 yards on Oklahoma’s 99-yard TD drive in the third quarter that put the Sooners ahead 21-7.

Oklahoma’s running game never materialized. Thompson carried the Sooners single-handedly, throwing for 265 yards and two TD passes. Thompson threw long and short with remarkable touch. In the first quarter, he floated a perfect strike to Malcolm Kelly that resulted in a 66-yard TD. He later connected with Kelly on a beautiful, goal-line fade route for six points.

Oklahoma’s defense was just as good as Thompson. Stoops’ defenders set up the game’s first score by recovering a fumble deep in Nebraska territory. Oklahoma’s defense produced five turnovers, including three interceptions of Nebraska’s Zac Taylor. The unit also stopped Nebraska on a critical fourth-and-1 play.

With Peterson probably back in the lineup for the Fiesta Bowl against undefeated and overrated Boise State, I fully expect the Sooners to rise above No. 4 in my final AP ballot after the bowl season.

To reach Jason Whitlock and thank [email protected]

Nice work Jason!

badger
12/3/2006, 05:56 PM
he has his moments.

bluedogok
12/3/2006, 05:57 PM
^^^ between bites?

badger
12/3/2006, 06:02 PM
between... books?

Rogue
12/3/2006, 06:07 PM
...thanks to a nonconference schedule ...that would make Bill Snyder blush...

That's a gem right there.

Glad to see a writer outside of OK that gets it.

badger
12/3/2006, 06:10 PM
As a badger fan, I will be the first to admit that they had a patsy schedule. But they had to... they had a first-year coach and lost a lot of good players.

I don't think they can complain about the BCS. It's hurt the Big 12 a lot more than it's hurt the Big 10 (see whorns, 2003, or OU and whorns, 2001)

Indy Sooner
12/3/2006, 06:17 PM
As a badger fan, I will be the first to admit that they had a patsy schedule. But they had to... they had a first-year coach and lost a lot of good players.

How many years in advance are the non-conference schedules created?

badger
12/3/2006, 06:25 PM
How many years in advance are the non-conference schedules created?
Well, consider OU. We schedule teams like Tennessee far, far in advance. I think we play them next decade. Miami was a long time in the works, also, and we play them next season.

On the other hand, there are also teams that we schedule to fill open weeks, like UAB.

I am pretty sure Wisconsin is the same way. I know what you're getting at, but I would have to guess that this non-conf schedule was not planned far in advance. I think this was one where Wisconsin said "we'll pay you thousands to come to Camp Randall and get your *** kicked." Bottom 10 teams are known for those types of schedules and arrangements, lol.

XingTheRubicon
12/3/2006, 06:51 PM
That's a pretty long article just to declare that the Oregon hose job pretty much didn't cost OU a thing.

The Oregon debacle was/is bad for CFB because it was blatant corruption/cheating. The silver lining is that it hopefully won't happen again....at least not to that extent.

sooner518
12/3/2006, 06:54 PM
i agree with him. UF or Mich are both probably more deserving than we are. Theyve looked more impressive this year than we have.

FourKings
12/4/2006, 09:01 AM
That's a pretty long article just to declare that the Oregon hose job pretty much didn't cost OU a thing.

The Oregon debacle was/is bad for CFB because it was blatant corruption/cheating. The silver lining is that it hopefully won't happen again....at least not to that extent.

Agreed....looks like we finished just about where we should, losing to tex hurt way more than the duck screw job in the end, all things considered, we had a very nice run this year!

Jason White's Third Knee
12/4/2006, 09:26 AM
Personally, I don't know how you can say that Michigan is more deserving. We REALLY don't know how good the Big 10 is! We REALLY don't know how good the SEC is.

I contend that the SEC is DOWN in a big way this year. Usually they are much stronger, but I just don't see Florida or Michigan playing OU and it not being a pick'em.

tOSU looks like the only legit team in the Big 10 to me. Yes, Michigan played them to the wire... so did Illinois.

snp
12/4/2006, 09:27 AM
And Wisconsin just got out of the contract with VT for 08 and 09. They've turned into a bunch of sissies.

stoopified
12/4/2006, 09:53 AM
That's a pretty long article just to declare that the Oregon hose job pretty much didn't cost OU a thing.True dat.

bluedogok
12/4/2006, 06:49 PM
Bielema is using the Bill Snyder method of out of conference scheduling, after all he learned for the master.

Scott D
12/4/2006, 06:56 PM

I don't think they can complain about the BCS. It's hurt the Big 12 a lot more than it's hurt the Big 10 (see whorns, 2003, or OU and whorns, 2001)

To be fair he learned patsy schedules from Hayden Fry and Bill Snyder :D. But seriously, nobody knew that Bowling Green was going to be well...awful this year when put up against the past 4-5 years from them.