PDA

View Full Version : OU-OSU rasslin

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 04:19 PM
why didn't anyone tell me this was on TV?

COX7 in OKC area.

tommieharris91
12/3/2006, 04:23 PM
Uh-oh. OU has a 3-0 lead in the "duel" after 1 match.

tommieharris91
12/3/2006, 04:25 PM
FLAG: Too much inner thigh grabbing, OU. I'm not watching much of this no more.

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 04:36 PM
hazewinkel wins @ 125.
aggie dominates @ 133 (another year without a 33 pounder - unbelievable).

4-3 ags.

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 04:57 PM
storniolo gets a win, but ags still lead 8-6

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 05:09 PM
will rowe wins, sooners lead 9-8.

(johnny hendrix up for osu though :eek:)

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 05:19 PM
wow. seibert has a chance right at the end, but hendrix wins 5-4. it's good to see someone stand up to him and not take his ****.

humpers winning 11-9.

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 05:31 PM
weitzel gets an OT win at 74.

sooners up 12-11 with 3 to go.

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 05:45 PM
pokes win at 84. OUr dude looked out of shape.

humpers back in the lead with 2 to go.

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 05:46 PM
flaggert needs a big win here.

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 05:57 PM
flaggert gets jobbed at the end of the 1st, should have been a fall.

ou up 15-14.

we need a miracle at heavy.

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 06:10 PM
very poor effort at heavyweight.

same old story. fags win 17-15. OU gets no major decisions where they needed them (hazewinkel, storniolo, and flaggert). we are terrible at 33, 41, and heavy.

Paperclip
12/3/2006, 06:35 PM
Good job cp. I did keep up with the duel and the thread. Just wanted you to know you weren't alone. :)

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 06:44 PM
Good job cp. I did keep up with the duel and the thread. Just wanted you to know you weren't alone. :)

thanks clip.

usmc, micco, and stonecoldsooner must be christmas shopping or something.

stonecoldsoonerfan
12/3/2006, 07:39 PM
stonecold has been watching and dubbing. pretty even duel. oSu wasn't the dominating team as in the past. this went down to the end. OUr hvwt. was out of shape. taking the down position in the 2nd sealed his fate. don't know if he chose it or the oSu guy had his choice. he was out of gas by the middle of the 2nd. typical early season conditioning. it seems to take the bigger guys to get into shape more, imo. at least from my experience, it does.

critical_phil
12/3/2006, 07:49 PM
stonecold has been watching and dubbing. pretty even duel. oSu wasn't the dominating team as in the past. this went down to the end. OUr hvwt. was out of shape. taking the down position in the 2nd sealed his fate. don't know if he chose it or the oSu guy had his choice. he was out of gas by the middle of the 2nd. typical early season conditioning. it seems to take the bigger guys to get into shape more, imo. at least from my experience, it does.

as usual, i thought a lot of our guys looked out of shape. i like jack spates as a person, but conditioning with his teams has always been spotty.

now, his call to put weitzel up to begin the third turned out to be brilliant. i wouldn't have done it, but it worked out.

if flaggert gets that fall, i probably wouldn't bring up the conditioning....

usmc-sooner
12/4/2006, 10:35 AM
I was impressed with the kid who hung with Hendricks, I knew we were done when our hw walked out there.

I was dissapointed that Haze and Stornolio couldn't pick up a major. We absolutely need a little better conditioning.

I really thought we were going to beat the pokes in Norman this year.

critical_phil
12/4/2006, 10:52 AM
i am still scratching my head over this match. the fact is, haze, storniolo, and flaggert all had majors all but in the bag - but couldn't finish.

am i the only one who thinks that aggie was stuck right at the end of the 1st period in the flaggert match? i didn't even think it was close. in fact, i thought there was some questionable calls throughout the entire dual (bad calls both ways).

i've been frustrated with OU wrestling for going on 20 years. every year it's the same formula: we have a couple of killers, a couple of really good guys, and the rest of the roster would have a hard time scoring points on stephen hawking. with the attrition of wrestling programs at the D1 level, there are still plenty of good wrestlers to go around. why we can't have more than 3 good wrestlers on our roster at any one time is beyond me.

usmc-sooner
12/4/2006, 11:00 AM
Abel assembled some good classes but that was during perhaps the greatest era of college wrestling.

You would think we could field a darn good team just from Ok HS wrestlers.

Bloomer_Sooner
12/4/2006, 02:47 PM
i've been frustrated with OU wrestling for going on 20 years. every year it's the same formula: we have a couple of killers, a couple of really good guys, and the rest of the roster would have a hard time scoring points on stephen hawking.

:D

OSUAggie
12/4/2006, 03:58 PM
am i the only one who thinks that aggie was stuck right at the end of the 1st period in the flaggert match? i didn't even think it was close. in fact, i thought there was some questionable calls throughout the entire dual (bad calls both ways).

agree on all dat

OSUHeifer
12/4/2006, 04:55 PM
Cowboys slip past Sooners
By MATT DOYLE World Sports Writer
12/4/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Redshirt freshman Jared Rosholt leads OSU to win in wrestling thriller.

NORMAN -- He still has a ways to go to match his older brother Jake's accomplishments. But consider Sunday afternoon Jared Rosholt's first significant notch of his Oklahoma State wrestling career.

Considering this feat came in his first ****** match made it even sweeter.

With OSU fans at McCasland Field House shouting "Orange Power" and OU fans shouting "Boomer Sooner," Rosholt blocked all the noise out and let his performance speak volumes.

OSU's redshirt freshman heavyweight scored a decisive 5-0 decision over OU's Brad Farmer to give the Cowboys a narrow 17-15 win over the Sooners.

"I knew this was my first (****** match) and standing there before my match, I didn't feel like I was going to lose," Rosholt said. "But I knew (everything) was riding on my match. I didn't want to lose it."

Rosholt's brother Jake lived for the big moment throughout his Cowboy career. Jake Rosholt capped his OSU career last year with his third NCAA title and went 20-1 in the NCAA Championship.

Sunday could not compare to an NCAA Championship. But it was ******, and the stakes were very high. Jared Rosholt took the mat

knowing OSU's 16-match winning streak and 24-match unbeaten streak against OU was on the line.

The heavyweight from Ponca City was experiencing some nerves. He told that to former OSU standout wrestlers Chris Pendleton and Steve Mocco, who offered encouragement to him as he was going through his mental preparations. Just before taking the mat, Jake Rosholt came out of the stands to give his younger brother final words of encouragement.

"Just win," Jake said, and Jared did just that.

The heavyweight benefited from a first-period penalty point called against Farmer to get the early lead. Nursing that 1-0 lead entering the third period, Rosholt was given an escape point to open the period then scored a takedown with 1:25 left.

"I'm pleased that we sent a freshman out to pick up the last match," OSU coach John Smith said. "There isn't any question that was a real positive that should boost his confidence and give him a little notch in his belt."

Rosholt's win also restored some confidence in Smith, who admitted he was looking at a "miserable drive home" to Stillwater if the Cowboys fell short.

For OU, though, the result was one of frustration. Sooner stalwarts Sam Hazewinkel, Matt Storniolo and Joel Flaggert delivered expected victories at 125, 149 and 197 pounds. But all three could not stretch their advantages past the eight-point barrier to record bonus points.

OSU's margin of victory came from bonus points earned in major decision wins by Coleman Scott and Nathan Morgan at 133 and 141 pounds.

"The frustration is that was a match we could have won. We did what we needed to do. We won five of the 10 matches we needed to win," OU coach Jack Spates said. "The frustration comes from not the matches we gave up bonus points, but the ones where we didn't get them. It's frustrating that we can't take better shots at the end of a match and get an extra (team) point there."

The team lead changed after each of the final five individual bouts.

After Will Rowe gave OU a 9-8 lead with a win at 157 pounds, OSU senior Johny Hendricks posted his 100th career victory at 165 pounds by downing Shane Seibert, 7-4, to give OSU an 11-9 lead. OU's Joshua Weitzel upset Brandon Mason, 2-0, in overtime at 174 pounds to get the lead back.

Jack Jensen and Flaggert swapped win by decision at 184 and 197 pounds for the Cowboys and Sooners, respectively, to set the stage for Rosholt.

Oklahoma State 17, Oklahoma 15

125: Hazewinkel (OU) d. Shinn 8-2

133: Scott (OSU) m.d. B. Shelton 11-0

141: Morgan (OSU) m.d. K. Terry 14-5

149: Storniolo (OU) d. Freeman 7-0

157: Rowe (OU) d. McSpadden 8-5

165: Hendricks (OSU) d. Seibert 7-4

174: Weitzel (OU) d. Mason 2-0, SV

184: Jensen (OSU) d. Hinton 5-3

197: Flaggert (OU) d. J. Shelton 10-4

285: Rosholt (OSU) d. Farmer 5-0.