PDA

View Full Version : Electric Razors

1stTimeCaller
12/3/2006, 03:34 PM
Does anyone use one? What kind should I buy? I'm not going to give up my Mach 3, I just think I'd rather use an electric for the daily shaves.

Any advice on which one/style I should get?

Yes, I will only be using it to shave my face and neck.

TIA

John Kochtoston
12/3/2006, 03:36 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004RA1P.01-ADFRQ5K4I2LNR.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

1stTimeCaller
12/3/2006, 03:40 PM
is that safe to use in the shower?

GottaHavePride
12/3/2006, 03:41 PM
Braun. Something like this:
http://braun.factoryoutletstore.com/shop_image/product/7d88b1d8c0d5c2d83076345b141f2eb3.jpg

Personally, I hate the rotary ones - I don't think they work as well as the ones with a screen. Buy the best one you can afford.

Although personally, I've switched over to one more or less like this:

http://www.classicshaving.com/i/Merkur/500.jpg

Blades are 50 cents and last over a week. Mach 3 cartridges cost about 3 times that amount, AND they don't shave as well.

John Kochtoston
12/3/2006, 03:43 PM
is that safe to use in the shower?

Only the gas-powered model.

Frozen Sooner
12/3/2006, 03:50 PM
I use a Norelco 8890 XL for my daily shave. It works great, but it takes a long time.

mrowl
12/3/2006, 03:51 PM
I use to have that exact Braun, but stopped using it. It was making shaving with the mach m3 power a pain. It caused more ingrowns and such...

1stTimeCaller
12/3/2006, 03:53 PM
I use to have that exact Braun, but stopped using it. It was making shaving with the mach m3 power a pain. It caused more ingrowns and such...

well, I wash my face daily so I doubt I'll have that problem.

;) so the electrics cause ingrown hairs and such?

GottaHavePride
12/3/2006, 04:09 PM
It didn't for me, once you get used to it (which takes a week or two). It might have been from dirty or dull blades - you're supposed to replace the blades on an electric every 6 months or so. although if you spend a long time going over and over parts of your face trying to get them really smooth you'll wind up irritating your face.

Frozen Sooner
12/3/2006, 04:15 PM
Use an exfoliant before you shave and you won't get ingrowns.

OUAndy1807
12/3/2006, 04:37 PM
I have a Braun like GHP's there, but I was never patient enough to get my face used to the razor. In my experience it took about 2 weeks, but then (for me at least) you can't go back to regular shaving or you'll be starting all over.

Also, you have to shave every day with an electric or it becomes exponentially harder to get all the hair and you'll either look patchy or spend 30 minutes trying to get every last hair.

soonerbrat
12/3/2006, 04:39 PM
get one of those vibrating ones.

King Crimson
12/3/2006, 04:42 PM
Although personally, I've switched over to one more or less like this:

http://www.classicshaving.com/i/Merkur/500.jpg

Blades are 50 cents and last over a week. Mach 3 cartridges cost about 3 times that amount, AND they don't shave as well.

i use a safety razor like that. cheap, and it works. especailly if you go a few days without shaving the double/triple/quad blades get clogged up (one and out) while the single blade goes right through.

1stTimeCaller
12/3/2006, 04:52 PM
get one of those vibrating ones.
if I do will you come over?

soonerbrat
12/3/2006, 04:56 PM
if I do will you come over?

no, you cheated on me. i won't make out with you ANY MORE!!

Howzit
12/3/2006, 07:08 PM
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10537816/Electric_Shaver_For_Women.jpg

SCOUT
12/3/2006, 07:18 PM
Use an exfoliant before you shave and you won't get ingrowns.

I have a real problem with ingrowns. What type of exfoliant do you use? My knowledge of facial care products stops with Irish Spring ;)

Mongo
12/3/2006, 07:18 PM
Put some nads on your face......again.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/nads.jpg

Newbomb Turk
12/3/2006, 07:24 PM
Put some nads on your face......again.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/nads.jpg

funniest thing when the local Walgreens was advertising Nad's on their sign. It said "Nads Remover" :eek:. I should have taken a picture of that.

Mongo
12/3/2006, 07:30 PM
funniest thing when the local Walgreens was advertising Nad's on their sign. It said "Nads Remover" :eek:. I should have taken a picture of that.

I used the stuff once. Once is all it took. The wife wanted to remove the advancing *** hair from the small of my back for our honeymoon. I cried like a little girl with a skinned knee.

I really think my mom cheated on my dad with Chewbacca.

SicEmBaylor
12/3/2006, 07:41 PM
I've never used an electric. I've thought about it, but I'd want one you could use "wet" and with gel. I think there are a couple like that but most you're suppose to use dry right?

My skin is really sensitive though so an electric is probably a really bad idea. I use a mach 3 turbo, but won't use the vibrating one because the idea of razer blades vibrating across my face isn't all that appealing.

If you have sensitive skin and such the Aloe Vera Sensitive Skin shaving gel is awesome.

1stTimeCaller
12/3/2006, 07:48 PM
I used the stuff once. Once is all it took. The wife wanted to remove the advancing *** hair from the small of my back for our honeymoon. I cried like a little girl with a skinned knee.

I really think my mom cheated on my dad with Chewbacca.

that's a first. nobody has ever called me Chewbaca....

Mongo
12/3/2006, 07:53 PM
that's a first. nobody has ever called me Chewbaca....

Dad???

Frozen Sooner
12/3/2006, 08:26 PM
I have a real problem with ingrowns. What type of exfoliant do you use? My knowledge of facial care products stops with Irish Spring ;)

I use Baxter for men.

SoonerInKCMO
12/3/2006, 08:42 PM
I've never used an electric. I've thought about it, but I'd want one you could use "wet" and with gel. I think there are a couple like that but most you're suppose to use dry right?

My skin is really sensitive though so an electric is probably a really bad idea. I use a mach 3 turbo, but won't use the vibrating one because the idea of razer blades vibrating across my face isn't all that appealing.

If you have sensitive skin and such the Aloe Vera Sensitive Skin shaving gel is awesome.

You shave? :confused:

:pop:

SicEmBaylor
12/3/2006, 08:47 PM
You shave? :confused:

:pop:

Yeah but I probably shouldn't. I usually like to have the shadow look to increase the appearance of my age a bit. I look 12 after I shave.

GottaHavePride
12/3/2006, 08:54 PM

You mostly use them dry, although I never had a problem using something like 'Lectric Shave with them, either. Norelco makes the ones with the built-in shaving lotion stuff. Wierd.

Oh, and if your face is that sensitive using an old-school safety razor might actually help - just one blade going across your face instead of three, regardless of what their comercials claim about "evenly distributing the pressure" - you're not supposed to use much pressure when you shave anyway. ;)

SicEmBaylor
12/3/2006, 09:04 PM
You mostly use them dry, although I never had a problem using something like 'Lectric Shave with them, either. Norelco makes the ones with the built-in shaving lotion stuff. Wierd.

Oh, and if your face is that sensitive using an old-school safety razor might actually help - just one blade going across your face instead of three, regardless of what their comercials claim about "evenly distributing the pressure" - you're not supposed to use much pressure when you shave anyway. ;)

See, I've tried that thinking the same thing but herein lies the problem. For whatever reason my facial hair is fairly difficult to get off. One swipe never ever gets the job done. So I figured out that a new sharp mach 3 with one swipe is better than a single blade and several swipes.

Throw aways never work too well for me either. There is one type that gets the job done alright that has a similar blade to the mach 3 but I forget the name of it.

TUSooner
12/3/2006, 09:07 PM
I have a Norelco (or Remington ?) rotary type that I got last Christmas. It's not state of the art. But I really like it: I keep it at work for "emergencies" and in case I just don't feel like taking the time to lather up and give myself a proper shave in the AM. The trimming feature is good for the moustache, too
as well as those extra nostril hairs and other hairs us older guys have to deal with :O :P

GottaHavePride
12/3/2006, 09:32 PM
See, I've tried that thinking the same thing but herein lies the problem. For whatever reason my facial hair is fairly difficult to get off. One swipe never ever gets the job done. So I figured out that a new sharp mach 3 with one swipe is better than a single blade and several swipes.

Throw aways never work too well for me either. There is one type that gets the job done alright that has a similar blade to the mach 3 but I forget the name of it.

You use shaving foam or gel out of a can, I bet. The safety razor works way better if you use a shaving brush and soap designed for shaving - it actually stands the hairs up off your face rather than just gluing them down with a layer of gunk. ;) Also, you do have to be a lot more aware of what direction the hairs on your face are pointing.

RacerX
12/4/2006, 07:39 AM
I have a high end Norelco and use 'lectric shave.

I've used only Norelcos for 20 years or so now. I've never shaved with a blade.

My Bro bought a Braun and it died before a year was up.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/4/2006, 07:58 AM
Dean is gonna think this thread is so ghey. Of course, he uses a straight razor.

Newbomb Turk
12/4/2006, 09:39 AM
Dean is gonna think this thread is so ghey. Of course, he uses a straight razor.

he probably uses an axe.

Okla-homey
12/4/2006, 09:50 AM
I use a straight razor. No better shave possible...after you figure out how to do it correctly. In time, you can shave as quickly with a proper razor as you can with a BIC, it just takes a while to get the hang of it. Cheaper over the long-haul too.

JohnnyMack
12/4/2006, 09:57 AM
'Lectric's are for homos.

ItaliaSooner
12/4/2006, 09:57 AM
I like my new vibrating Fusion.

mrowl
12/4/2006, 10:19 AM
well, I wash my face daily so I doubt I'll have that problem.

;) so the electrics cause ingrown hairs and such?

I think it had more to do with switching between 2 different kinds of blades.

Howzit
12/4/2006, 11:09 AM
'Lectric's are for homos.

What kind do you have?

Mjcpr
12/4/2006, 12:23 PM
I like my new vibrating Fusion.

ItaliaSooner, we hardly knew ye!