PDA

View Full Version : Attention Big XII

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/3/2006, 01:21 PM
Can we PLEASE not have to play in that dumphole city ever again?

I mean, of all the states in the union, Missouri has about the least relevance to College athletics. They're the Boone Pickens of states. Can't be relevant on their own, so they pony up cash so they can pretend to be a part of the fun.

Please. The only thing that prevents them from being a steaming pile of crap is that it's so cold that it's a frozen solid piece of crap.

proudsoonergal
12/3/2006, 01:22 PM
SAN ANTONIO, 2007. I can HARDLY wait. :)

mrowl
12/3/2006, 01:25 PM
SAN ANTONIO, 2007. I can HARDLY wait. :)

nope. looks like KC in 2007 again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

edit: actually, I don't think it has been announced. Wiki says KC, but I can't find anything on the big 12 site about it, and some other sites say San Antonio. who knows.

SoonerStormchaser
12/3/2006, 01:26 PM
I just hope we make it again next year...pending I'm still here at Randolph, I'm game.

OklahomaTuba
12/3/2006, 01:29 PM
nope. looks like KC in 2007 again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thats wierd, they announced it at the game as being San Antonio I thought??

KC//CRIMSON
12/3/2006, 01:32 PM

I mean, of all the states in the union, Missouri has about the least relevance to College athletics. They're the Boone Pickens of states. Can't be relevant on their own, so they pony up cash so they can pretend to be a part of the fun.

Please. The only thing that prevents them from being a steaming pile of crap is that it's so cold that it's a frozen solid piece of crap.

you're a big weenie.

mrowl

Missed that. Good.

proudsoonergal
I could have sworn that I read somewhere (Daily OK?) that it was going to be in SA next year.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/3/2006, 01:33 PM
http://www.alamobowl.com/media/pressrelease.php?uid=128

Partial Qualifier
12/3/2006, 01:34 PM
Hey - regular season & playoff games in freezing cold weather are fine. But championship games (superbowls, BCS games, CCG's, etc.) should be a reward for teams & fans.

I like cold weather, football is a cold weather sport, Arrowhead is an awesome venue; but championship games are different.

C'mon Big 12 office: outdoors, at night in 20-degree weather? For a championship game?? Clue in!

proudsoonergal
12/3/2006, 01:34 PM
I can't find it on the B12 website, but wikipedia says it will be in KC again. You guys figure this out while I'm flying back to Austin. :) Work will be fun tomorrow!!!! :D :) :D :)

SoonerInKCMO
12/3/2006, 01:36 PM
Wait. Doesn't Beano live in Houston? Talk about a dumphole.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/3/2006, 01:38 PM

I live in Norman.

But at least Houston is a warm-weather dump hole.

I notice nobody who doesn't have "KC" in their userid is coming to the BigXII's defense.

KC//CRIMSON
12/3/2006, 01:38 PM

He must have got a hotel in the wrong part of town.:D

SoonerInKCMO
12/3/2006, 01:46 PM
I guess if all you've ever seen of KC are the stretches of I-70 and I-435 leading to Arrowhead, it's understandable that you'd mistakenly think that the city is a dump hole.

SoonerObsession
12/3/2006, 01:47 PM
Kansas City is a nice city, but when players are getting hurt left and right, you can see the disadvantages of having to play there in the cold weather. I agree that the championship game should be held in a weather controlled environment.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/3/2006, 01:49 PM
I guess if all you've ever seen of KC are the stretches of I-70 and I-435 leading to Arrowhead, it's understandable that you'd mistakenly think that the city is a dump hole.

Actually, the interstates are the best part of KC because it means you can be OUT of KC the quickest if you're on them.

SoonerInKCMO
12/3/2006, 01:52 PM
What other parts of KC have you been in Beano? Were you hanging out on Independence Avenue or something?

OUinFLA
12/3/2006, 02:31 PM

and we all know the announcers are never wrong.

bluedogok
12/3/2006, 02:34 PM
I like KC but I do think it needs to be moved around some more, hopefully it will be in SA next year, that is a day trip for us here in burnt orange hell.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/3/2006, 02:47 PM
It's in San Antonio. See the link above.

TripleOption14
12/3/2006, 02:49 PM
AMEN Beano. I think KC is the only person that would rather freeze to death than be comfortable indoors where the temp is a nice 70 degrees.

SoonerMajic
12/3/2006, 03:16 PM
Many people talk about what a great venue Arrowhead is for the Big XII game.

I just don't see it:

1. It is generally way too cold to be even remotely comfortable in December.

2. The field is generally in pretty bad shape that late in the year.

3. Many of the concession areas are shut down.

4. Woefully inadequate bathroom facilities. (Porta-Johns in a stadium???)

In sum, last night I am dressed in 5 layers of clothes, hungry as hell, with my bladder about to burst, all the while standing on ice. Other than that, it was a great experience.

mrowl
12/3/2006, 03:20 PM
The only thing that Lamar Hunt has not been able to get, an upgrade to Arrowhead. and it needs it.

royalfan5
12/3/2006, 04:05 PM
The only thing that Lamar Hunt has not been able to get, an upgrade to Arrowhead. and it needs it.
Work starts on both TSC stadiums soon. The K and Arrowhead will be getting a couple hundred million each in improvements over the next two years.

mrowl
12/3/2006, 04:11 PM
Work starts on both TSC stadiums soon. The K and Arrowhead will be getting a couple hundred million each in improvements over the next two years.

I hope Lamar gets to see it. :(

picasso
12/3/2006, 05:28 PM

George. have been there?
that stadium has some of the best atmosphere I've ever been to.
yeah, it's cold. that's part of the fun, it reminds me of old timey high school playoffs.

that was #5 for me. '00, '03, '04, '05 (KU game) '06.

josh09
12/3/2006, 06:12 PM

WORD. they need to have it in either san antonio or houston every year. houston has been great. or maybe thats just because i live there.

picasso
12/3/2006, 06:33 PM
sorry, but if you don't go to the KC game because it's cold and there's not good enough conessions, you're weak.

belch.

TX_SOONER_FAN
12/3/2006, 06:35 PM
The Big 12 should rotate more but I like KC. The Plaza is great and I like the atmosphere at Arrowhead. I agree that if all you see is the I70 corridor it'll seem like a dump. Weather was frigid but it was in the 70's just one week earlier. Seems we can never catch one of those warmer Dec weeks when the game us up there. I'd be for a rotation as long as it doesn't include St. Louis. That didn't seem to make much sense so far from the rest of the conference.

picasso
12/3/2006, 06:40 PM
The Big 12 should rotate more but I like KC. The Plaza is great and I like the atmosphere at Arrowhead. I agree that if all you see is the I70 corridor it'll seem like a dump. Weather was frigid but it was in the 70's just one week earlier. Seems we can never catch one of those warmer Dec weeks when the game us up there. I'd be for a rotation as long as it doesn't include St. Louis. That didn't seem to make much sense so far from the rest of the conference.
the '04 game against Colorado was not cold.:)

AlbqSooner
12/3/2006, 06:55 PM
Because of my work it is next to impossible for me to get any time off this time of year. Consequently I don't attend the CCG in person but watch on TV. That being the case, I prefer cold weather. All those bundle wrappings of clothing that the ladies wear keep me from being distracted from the football by a nice set of bewbies.

During the regular season it is fine, but as has been said, the CCG is different.:D

Pepper
12/3/2006, 07:24 PM
I enjoy watching OU play in Kansas City, despite the cold. I like Arrowhead stadium and I think it's a nice city.

iknowyoudidnt
12/3/2006, 07:48 PM
I lived OK for 10 years (Norman, OKC and Tulsa) and went to school at OU, and was even a member of the Pride for a year. I moved to KC about 6 years ago for work, and never looked back. Kansas City is a fine place to live, and has nearly all of the big city charm without many of the big city drawbacks. In many ways, it feels a lot like a bigger version of Oklahoma City.

With that said, the wisdom of playing games at outdoor stadiums in the cold is easy to question. I couldn't make it to the game this year (the first one I've missed in KC since 2000), but I was only somewhat sad about it after seeing the temperature. I sure wish they'd put a roof on Arrowhead.

FaninAma
12/3/2006, 08:43 PM
Man oh man, KC in December. I know it's on my top 10 list of places I want to visit every year.:rolleyes:

No other conference has an outdoor, cold weather venue as the site of their CCG.

Just another example of the low wattage powering the brain cells of the Big 12 conference leaders.

Pepper
12/3/2006, 08:45 PM
If the Big 10(11) had a championship game, it would probably be cold too.

soonersweetie
12/3/2006, 08:55 PM
Football should be played in football weather, i.e., crisp, chilly, cold, sometimes even snow weather. It's not a sissy game to be played in a controlled environment. I remember as a child sitting in the freezing rain with my dad in Norman to watch OU play Nebraska. My dad asked me many times if I wanted to go under the stands where it was warmer and I said no. I wouldn't dare miss a play of what was known as "the rivalry". I figured if the players have to play in it, then the least I could do was sit through it and cheer them on.

I would much rather be known as a school who has fans that are considered as tough as our players. Cold weather is part of the game. It comes with the territory and is partially what makes the game so great. Anyone can play in 70 degrees and sunshine. Add some undesired weather elements into the game and it makes the game that much more unpredictable.

I'll go ahead and shut up now cause I'm sure most don't agree with me. Just a little fyi, in case you think I'm just a kid and don't have my head on straight and that my mind will change as I get older....I'm 39. And I would still sit in freezing cold wet weather to watch my team play.

Boomer Sooner

DrZaius
12/3/2006, 08:58 PM
If they have to play up north just so they don't feel left out.....Why can't it be Denver.

picasso
12/3/2006, 09:03 PM
If they have to play up north just so they don't feel left out.....Why can't it be Denver.
oh dunno, driving into the edge of the Rockies in December? may not be the best idea.;)
everyone griping about the KC game apparently has never been there?:confused: :) :P