PDA

View Full Version : For anyone that thought the game was closer than the score depicted...

Jason White's Third Knee
12/3/2006, 11:20 AM
Nope. The score was right were it should have been. nebraska was a reasonably tough foe, however they got MANY breaks that could have swung the game in to an uncontrollable rout.

The blocked field goal attempt return was called back for a delay of game. We had several dropped INTs and near fumbles that might have given OU a pnumatic nail gun for their coffin. This could have easily become a blowout.

Blues1
12/3/2006, 11:24 AM
Huskers were a tough foe - But the team that play the best football and toughest football WON....

Boomer Sooner....~~~

JohnnyMack
12/3/2006, 11:26 AM
We had several dropped INTs and near fumbles that might have given OU a pnumatic nail gun for their coffin. This could have easily become a blowout.

Yup, if DW pulls in that INT late in the 1st I think the game woulda been a laugher.

aero
12/3/2006, 11:46 AM
True. It could easily have been more. NU played great defense. Their offense looked like they could have taken over the game any time but OUr defense was lights out. It was an absolutely great game for us as we had a very much worthy opponent who brought it to us but we never backed down and kept the faith. The game was a microcosm of the year. It started off with a lot of promise, had some rough spots, but the character of the team, the leadership of the qb, the integrity of the coach, and the faith of the fans, (maybe a little sooner majic) carried the team to victory.

devOUt
12/3/2006, 12:07 PM
Agreed. We were a delay of game call and a couple of easy interceptions away from 35-7.

Jackal
12/3/2006, 12:13 PM
Maybe if we had won 35-7, we could have politic'd after the game for our chance at Ohio State. Seems everyone has forgotten we got screwed at Oregon except us fans.

Texas Golfer
12/3/2006, 12:22 PM
Agreed. We were a delay of game call and a couple of easy interceptions away from 35-7.

Don't forget Rufus' fumble recovery where he tried to scoop the ball on the run and had to go back and fall on it at the end of the first half. Had he been able to scoop the ball up, there was nobody between him and the end zone.

42-7!

BigDeezy
12/3/2006, 12:28 PM
I disagree. I thought it was a good, hard fought, close game. Just look at all the stats. The thing that made the real difference were the turnovers. Several came at key times, or at key places on the field. I am just glad we were on the winning side of those turnovers this game. Our defense was spectacular, and was a key to winning. The offense kept plugging away at N's stout defense, and found a way to put points on the board. I salute our team for a hard fought victory. Personally, I was on the edge of my seat until the last several minutes of the game.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/3/2006, 12:40 PM
I disagree. I thought it was a good, hard fought, close game. Just look at all the stats. The thing that made the real difference were the turnovers. Several came at key times, or at key places on the field. I am just glad we were on the winning side of those turnovers this game. I salute our team for a hard fought victory. Personally, I was on the edge of my seat until the last several minutes of the game.

So was I, and the stats DO show that. My point is that many people will say that this game was closer than it was for that very reason. Neb played hard and did a good job. For every good thing that they did, they made another mistake. We weren't able to take advantage of half of the mistakes that were made. Sure, we were watching our D and hoping that they would fend them off(which they did), but we get a hold of a few of those loose balls... Whoa... It could have been really ugly.... The whole game could have been like that first Neb play.

snp
12/3/2006, 12:52 PM
Lots of big plays did or almost went our way, lots of little plays didn't work out all that well.

Could've been a big blowout.

picasso
12/3/2006, 05:50 PM
Nebraska fans should be optimistic about their future. I never thought I would say it but Callyhan has them coming back. They played a good tough game last night.
That D-line was impressive, especially #94.

in a great way.;)

Rogue
12/3/2006, 06:02 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=263360201&confId=null

OU 307 total yards, 265 passing, 42 rushing, TOP - 31:39
NU 366 total yards, 282 passing, 84 rushing, TOP - 28:21

Very even so far, edge to NU for doubling our rushing yards.

Penalties:
NU 5 for 24
OU 3 for 25

Again, very even. The officials basically let 'em play.

TURNOVERS: OU 1, NU 5

Here is the difference in the game I think. I'd like to see the avg starting field position for both teams because I think NU had much better field position all night long.

We had a great 99 yd drive, didn't give up the big plays on defense, in fact played great D all night long. NU wasn't able to stop our passing game although forced us into being one dimensional all night by flat shutting down the run game.

It did seem that NU got some huge breaks, but I'd say we got our share last night too.

picasso
12/3/2006, 06:09 PM
we had awful field position most of the game.
we also focred many of those TO's. You could say we got some breaks but so did Nebbish. we dropped a few more INT's and that blocked punt return was a lucky break on their part.

also, we made the big plays when they counted.

soonerboy112
12/3/2006, 07:01 PM
nebraska definitely had the field position advantage especially in the 2nd half. at one point, when nebraska was getting ready to start a drive from the 50 a graphic showed up that said the starting field position in the 2nd half was own 45 for nebraska and own 10 for us

Vaevictis
12/3/2006, 07:51 PM
Nebraska's average field position for the game was it's own 34. Second half was Nebraska's 45.5.

Oklahoma's average field position for the game was our own 25. Second half was our own 11.