PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 bans discussion of Officiating

Sooner Eclipse
12/3/2006, 11:11 AM
From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Ban adopted on saying anything, at all, about refs
By JOHN MILLER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Rather than trying to decipher if a comment made about officiating is critical, the Big 12 has decided there should be no comments on the subject.

The Big 12 board of directors, comprising university presidents or chancellors, adopted a policy on Friday that prohibits any comments about officials by anyone in the conference, effective Jan. 1.
Great! That's awesome. So what the B12 is saying is...

"Our officiating sucks and if you try to draw attention to it in the media so that someone will pay attention... we'll fine you."

My problem with this is that if you can't tell you story to the media and have to do it in private with the league office...who is there to monitor the fairness of the league? It's like government run or state news media in the Middle East. There is not bad news. Only "official news".

Shamelessly stolen from the husker board. - Hadn't heard this before but is yet one more reason Weiberg has got to go. Doesn't like people complaining about his crews attempts to fluff Mack and the horns on the sidelines, so......he'll ban any discussion of job the officiating crew does.

This is communistic. After the past 2 years we've had, this is rediculous. If he doesn't like the complaining he should take away the arguments by improving the officiating crews. First thing I think he should do is remove the appearance of impropriety by not allowing officials with geographic, family or school ties to officiate their teams' games.

This does nothing to improve the conference. All it does is take some heat off of his sorry ***. :texan:

the_ouskull
12/3/2006, 12:05 PM
It's exactly what David Stern is doing in the NBA, the MAJOR difference being that Weiberg is NO David Stern. Stern's refs, best in the world or not, still suck b*lls, and rather than have his players tell them that on a daily basis, he's laid the "no back-talk" smack down this season, which the players hate, saying, "it takes the emotion out of the game." What it ACTUALLY does is, it allows the officials to either live in anonimity or it allows HIM to rotate them in and out at his own discretion. Somehow, since he's installing rules to PROTECT them, I doubt he's doing this to evaluate them on his own, so he's likely doing it to protect them.

Ditto with Weiberg. I mean, the guy's already straddling the fences here... He may as well saddle up too, right? He's wanting to take the complaining out of the league, but he's not offering suggestions to actually improve the league in the meantime... he's not making the officials MORE accountable as well, which is the action that should RATIONALLY follow something like this...

The world is jacked up, man. Most of the "laws," and rules that are being created nowadays seem like their sole purpose is to protect stupid / incompetent people. Maybe I'm just a social Darwinist, but I'm of the opinion that stupid / incompetent people need to be given a chance to learn life, sure, but not at their own pace. They need to go at everybody else's pace. If they're unable to do so, then they need to either step it up, or readjust their priorities... Adapt or change.

the_ouskull

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/3/2006, 12:09 PM
The new NBA rules are bull**** anyway. Oh he gave me a dirty look...my little ego is crushed...technical foul!!!

Texas Golfer
12/3/2006, 12:13 PM
From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Great! That's awesome. So what the B12 is saying is...

"Our officiating sucks and if you try to draw attention to it in the media so that someone will pay attention... we'll fine you."

My problem with this is that if you can't tell you story to the media and have to do it in private with the league office...who is there to monitor the fairness of the league? It's like government run or state news media in the Middle East. There is not bad news. Only "official news".

Shamelessly stolen from the husker board. - Hadn't heard this before but is yet one more reason Weiberg has got to go. Doesn't like people complaining about his crews attempts to fluff Mack and the horns on the sidelines, so......he'll ban any discussion of job the officiating crew does.

This is communistic. After the past 2 years we've had, this is rediculous. If he doesn't like the complaining he should take away the arguments by improving the officiating crews. First thing I think he should do is remove the appearance of impropriety by allowing officials with geographic, family or school ties to officiate their teams' games.

This does nothing to improve the conference. All it does is take some heat off of his sorry ***. :texan:

I couldn't agree more. This also violates the Constitution which guarantees freedom of speech. You can criticize your government and your president but you can't criticize your conference's officials.

It is stupid rules like these that shows the officiating crews that they can indiscrimantly show their biases without scrutiny. The integrity of the game just took another hit.

Sooner Eclipse
12/3/2006, 12:22 PM
I just don't understand why more people aren't calling for his head.

1) Bowl affiliations - B12 sucks as far as placement and time slot.
2) Officiating quality - Higher only then the P10 (barely)
3) Replay system - archiac, should be replaced by the more user friendly and accurate system that SEC, ACC, B10 and B-east(only B12 and P10 use this system of the 6 majors)
4) Defending the conference when one of its members gets royally F**cked. NOT! Instead, this *** gets in the drivers seat and backs that bus over Boren/Stoops and the boys.
5) Doesn't seem to see that under his direction he is leading the B12 down the same path that killed the SWC. When one school wields too much power, the conference will suffer. Since one third of the B12 schools are in tejas, they will continue to play to what is best for tejas, not the B12. And whats best for tejas is usually whats best for UT. Their corrupt control of the SWC is legendary. You cant get caught if you own the cops.
6) lastly - he's an arrogant D**K

GottaHavePride
12/3/2006, 12:53 PM
I couldn't agree more. This also violates the Constitution which guarantees freedom of speech. You can criticize your government and your president but you can't criticize your conference's officials.

It is stupid rules like these that shows the officiating crews that they can indiscrimantly show their biases without scrutiny. The integrity of the game just took another hit.

Except the constitution doesn't apply - the NCAA is not a branch of government, and the universities abide by the NCAA's rules by choice. Schools don't HAVE to be part of the NCAA, but they choose to be becasue they want in on the money. thus, the NCAA can make whatever rules it wants until the universities FORCE a change.

OU Adonis
12/3/2006, 12:55 PM
I always find it amusing when people talk about freedom of speach when it comes to private institutions (like the NCAA or message boards).

Readyfor8
12/3/2006, 01:12 PM
The NCAA writes the rules, the NCAA should be responsible for enforcing them. Do away with conference officials and you will eliminate the bias of being paid by one conference. It's rediculous that officials who are responsible for calling a fair game are subject to the old "you get what you pay for" idiom.

Big Red Ron
12/3/2006, 01:28 PM
They try and fine a player and they will open the "Should the players get paid argument."