PDA

View Full Version : 40...and counting

SoonerGOP
12/3/2006, 12:10 AM
"Welcome to the home of seven National Championships and 40 Conference titles."

Does anyone else have 40 conference titles in 110 years of college football play?

I'm sure Alabama does with their traditional calculations.

dog-knee
12/3/2006, 12:54 AM
Actually, some of my Bug Eater friends keep trying to tell me Nebraska has won 43 conference championships. I keep responding that some of those must have been back in the days when they were playing high schools from the small towns outside Lincoln. No way they've won that many in their time competing with OU.

dog-knee
12/3/2006, 01:00 AM
By the way, I heard Alabama just awarded themselves another national title, for firing Shula.

crimson&cream
12/3/2006, 01:17 AM
"Welcome to the home of seven National Championships and 40 Conference titles."

Does anyone else have 40 conference titles in 110 years of college football play?

I'm sure Alabama does with their traditional calculations.
Mich has 40 Nebr has 43

SoonerGOP
12/3/2006, 01:18 AM
Actually, some of my Bug Eater friends keep trying to tell me Nebraska has won 43 conference championships. I keep responding that some of those must have been back in the days when they were playing high schools from the small towns outside Lincoln. No way they've won that many in their time competing with OU.

Well, according to a "neutral" source, we just won #38, not 40 and they have 43.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/oklahoma_database.htm - Oklahoma Database
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/nebraska_database.htm - Nebraska Database

I checked out the Nebraska site and see if they list something different. One thing to note, however, is that we apparently weren't in a conference for the first few years. Here is what the NU site had:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=2718

crimson&cream
12/3/2006, 04:07 AM
Well, according to a "neutral" source, we just won #38, not 40 and they have 43.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/oklahoma_database.htm - Oklahoma Database
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/nebraska_database.htm - Nebraska Database

I checked out the Nebraska site and see if they list something different. One thing to note, however, is that we apparently weren't in a conference for the first few years. Here is what the NU site had:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=2718
Some of the stats on the OU stat site are wrong Like Joe Washington with under 4,000 yds rushing career as they've been adjusted to include Bowl games which puts him over 4,000 yds. My understanding is the NCAA didn't use to include Bowl stats.
According to the 2005 Oklahoma Sooners FB guide OU has won 39 Conf Championships ---- 06 makes it 40 now count'em06,04,02,00,87,86,85,84,80,79,78,77,76,75, 74,73,72,68, 67, 62,59,58,57,56,55,54,53,52,51,50,49,48,47,46,44,43 ,38, 20,18,15.

OU-HSV
12/3/2006, 08:46 AM
USC has like 125 don't they? And like 25 National Championships? ;) :rolleyes:

stoopified
12/3/2006, 10:08 AM
Actually, some of my Bug Eater friends keep trying to tell me Nebraska has won 43 conference championships. I keep responding that some of those must have been back in the days when they were playing high schools from the small towns outside Lincoln. No way they've won that many in their time competing with OU.According to the college football data warehouse,NU has(46).((3) of these were in some obscure Western Intercollegiate Association before the turn of the 20th century,in addition they had 12 Missouri Valley titles up through the '20's. According to the same site we had 39 titles coming in to this year.This of course counting the "72 title in which we later forfieted 3 games because 2 frosh (Phillips,Iackson) were found to have played in games when they should have been ineligible.That is also way there is a one game dfference between OUr record book vs. oSu and theirs( they count the '72 forfeit as a win).To my knowledge Nu doesn't count OU's forfeit to them as a W.

jk the sooner fan
12/3/2006, 10:18 AM
speaking of...in reality, how many MNC's does USC have.....not the 11 they claim

SoonerGOP
12/3/2006, 03:31 PM
I count seven of them which include the AP, UPI/ESPN/USAToday and BCS:

2004: AP, Coaches' & BCS
2003: AP
1978: Coaches'
1974: Coaches'
1972: AP, Coaches'
1967: AP, Coaches'
1962: AP, Coaches'

If you include the others, they reach 16. When I say others, I mean people like Berryman, Billingsley, Colley, DeVold, Dunkel, Eck, FACT, FB News, FW, Massey, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Sagarin, Seattle Times, Sporting News, Wolfe, etc...

By the same standard, OU would then have 16 as well. For other comparisons the other teams would have as follows:

Notre Dame - 21
Alabama - 17
Michigan - 16
Nebraska - 12
Texas - 8
Florida State - 7

GottaHavePride
12/3/2006, 03:36 PM
I don't think 2003 counts. I don't care if it IS the AP - at that point the official "championship game" was the BCS, and LSU won it that year. USC can suck it that year.

SoonerGOP
12/3/2006, 03:43 PM
I'm conflicted about that. If the AP had awarded us the title that year, would I have considered it a MNC? We split the title with USC in 1974, with us winning the AP and them winning the UPI. So there is precedence for us claiming a split title with the AP being as valid as the UPI. Same thing occurred with Colorado & Georgia Tech in 1990.

But then there is the whole BCS formation and the fact that the AP was part of the BCS at that point. When you look at that, I think you have to start questioning whether it should count.

Problem is -- it counts with the media, because the AP poll IS the media. So whenever USC is referred to with their number of titles, it will be counted in the grand scheme of things.

Ash
12/3/2006, 03:49 PM
I'm conflicted about that. If the AP had awarded us the title that year, would I have considered it a MNC? We split the title with USC in 1974, with us winning the AP and them winning the UPI. So there is precedence for us claiming a split title with the AP being as valid as the UPI. Same thing occurred with Colorado & Georgia Tech in 1990.

But then there is the whole BCS formation and the fact that the AP was part of the BCS at that point. When you look at that, I think you have to start questioning whether it should count.

Problem is -- it counts with the media, because the AP poll IS the media. So whenever USC is referred to with their number of titles, it will be counted in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, but the system was much different back then and split titles like that were more likely.

In the BCS era, the champion takes home a crystal football. No crystal, no championship IMO.

And, no, I don't like everything about the BCS but if your team plays in a BCS conference (PAC-10 is one) than you play by the rules.

One-Pete, period.

tigepilot
12/3/2006, 03:51 PM
I'm not conflicted at all. Before the BCS I thought the AP was the best determination of the title and seemed to be the most respected poll so that's what I look at for those years. Once the BCS was formed that what I look at for the title. Of course Texass, USC, and Alabama don't like that but who cares about them anyway.