PDA

View Full Version : Here's a thought...

SoonerStormchaser
12/2/2006, 10:41 PM
If the opposing team commits a "prior to the snap" penalty, but still allows the play to run itself out...and the result of that play is beneficial to the defense, then the penalty should be allowed to be declined.

Nebraska got lucky with that delay of game...bastards!

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2006, 10:45 PM
yeah, and then when it bites us in the butt we'll change the rule back.

Vaevictis
12/2/2006, 10:50 PM
It'd suck to be on the other end of that, but seriously -- how is it justice to have a TD called back because the OTHER team committed a penalty?

Penalties should not penalize the team that was wronged, nor should they reward the team that did wrong.

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2006, 10:51 PM
If it happens before the snap, that's the deal.

It's not like this is a new concept.

Joe
12/3/2006, 12:09 AM
If it happens before the snap, that's the deal.

It's not like this is a new concept.

No ****, that's why he proposed that it shouldn't be that way.

Seriously San, why do you have to thread crap in so many threads? =/

StoopTroup
12/3/2006, 12:12 AM
SAS...

Your right IMO.

At least they got the call right.

If they had kicked the ball and say Reggie had fumbled and NU got the ball at the ten and the refs throw a flag for OU off-sides....

NU declines the flag.

It doesn't seem fair though...both infractions are before the snap.

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2006, 12:22 AM
No ****, that's why he proposed that it shouldn't be that way.

Seriously San, why do you have to thread crap in so many threads? =/
But it should be that way.

Seems kind of silly for you to get worked up.

Chicks are funny that way

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2006, 12:25 AM
SAS...

Your right IMO.

At least they got the call right.

If they had kicked the ball and say Reggie had fumbled and NU got the ball at the ten and the refs throw a flag for OU off-sides....

NU declines the flag.

It doesn't seem fair though...both infractions are before the snap.
defense being offsides has always been different than an offensive infraction.

How many times did Heupel throw a TD after a flag was thrown?

We've benefited by the same rules we are whining about right now.

StoopTroup
12/3/2006, 12:30 AM
We've benefited by the same rules we are whining about right now.
Don't put me in WE....lol

Don't make me neg you. ;)

:pop:

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2006, 12:32 AM
Don't put me in WE....lol

Don't make me neg you. ;)

:pop:
I was being general.

Joe is a we though

What's up with 120 second flood control now?

Wow

Mjcpr
12/3/2006, 12:33 AM
I'd have to see a replay of it, but when I saw it live I thought Granger (I thought that was who flipped the ball to the returner) was down when he made the flip/toss. Anyone notice?

Not that it matters, thankfully! :D

tigepilot
12/3/2006, 12:33 AM
Unfortunatley that call was made correctly... however it didn't apear to be handled correctly. When a penalty occurs before the snap they are supposed to blow the whistle and stop any action. I didn't see any sign of that and appearently neither did the players since they ran out a play off of the books. The result... it looks like Nebraska benifited from their own penalty. However, if it was stopped the way it should have been we would be saying that the penalty cost Nebraska a shot at a field goal. That's the way we should be looking at it.

DrZaius
12/3/2006, 12:38 AM
Here is a better thought!

How about the turn around the BRENT has performed with our defense. There was a lot of people on our board earlier in the year that wanted his head, Including myself.

He has really done an outstanding job for 3/4 of the season. I have been really impressed with how our defense has come together.

HERE's to BV...Good job at turning your season around

SoonerTerry
12/3/2006, 12:44 AM
Its amazing what can happen when yOUr head coach is a defensive guru

Scott D
12/3/2006, 12:54 AM
People never cease to amaze me.

I do agree with sas, anyone who wishes this rule was changed would be the first on the new bandwagon to bring back that rule the first time it went against OU. Then again, those are the same people who live in the fantasyland of the offense rolling up 800 yards and 70+ points every game while pitching shutouts and allowing negative yardage every game.

Joe
12/3/2006, 01:17 AM
I was being general.

Joe is a we though

What's up with 120 second flood control now?

Wow

Nice. I think it's a smart rule. Saves people from getting hurt among other things. I just have a problem with you being a dick to people in damn near every thread on the fb board.

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2006, 01:18 AM
Nice. I think it's a smart rule. Saves people from getting hurt among other things. I just have a problem with you being a dick to people in damn near every thread on the fb board.
yeah, well I don't care for you being an idiot, and yet here we are.

SoonerInKCMO
12/3/2006, 01:25 AM
Unfortunatley that call was made correctly... however it didn't apear to be handled correctly. When a penalty occurs before the snap they are supposed to blow the whistle and stop any action. I didn't see any sign of that and appearently neither did the players since they ran out a play off of the books. The result... it looks like Nebraska benifited from their own penalty. However, if it was stopped the way it should have been we would be saying that the penalty cost Nebraska a shot at a field goal. That's the way we should be looking at it.

They did blow the whistle; I replayed it a couple of times on the DVR and heard it.

Texas Golfer
12/3/2006, 01:26 AM
The correct call was made because delay of game stops the clock and no play after is allowed. However, waiting until the play was over before blowing the whistle and throwing the flag made it look like Nebraska created the infraction but the Sooners were the team that was penalized for the Nebraska infraction.

It's not hard blowing a whistle and throwing a flag. There's no excuse for allowing the play to continue. It makes it look like the flag was thrown because the refs didn't like the outcome of the play.

Texas Golfer
12/3/2006, 01:28 AM
They did blow the whistle; I replayed it a couple of times on the DVR and heard it.

I replayed it, too, and didn't hear a whistle. If they did, disregard my previous post.:D

tigepilot
12/3/2006, 01:32 AM

I thought that may have been the case but I couldn't replay it myself from my hotel room here... I couldn't tell by the players actions at all though... which you usually can.

Frozen Sooner
12/3/2006, 01:37 AM
They always blow the whistle on delay of game.

Any time a whistle blows the play is over. The stadium was loud and a bunch of guys didn't hear the darn thing.

I'm firmly convinced that NU wasn't planning to kick that ball, by the way-I think they were trying to pull us offsides. They just waited too long. As it happens, I thought we jumped, but the delay happened before the jump.

GrapevineSooner
12/3/2006, 01:39 AM
Just for a point of emphasis, there's a difference between a pre-snap penalty and a penalty that occurs at the snap of a ball.

For instance on the very next play, let's say the refs had correctly called one of our guys for causing Nebraska's guard to jump out of his stance. That would have been considered a pre-snap penalty.

If the Nebraska player had stayed in his stance, that would be considered a penalty at the snap of the ball.

There's your difference.

tigepilot
12/3/2006, 01:42 AM
I'm not sure I agree with that...

Again, I'm away from my Tivo but if your going to try an pull someone offsides you line up in you offense like you're going to go for it.

I'm not arguing the call but usually when it's loud and we can't hear the whistle, the payers still do and no one on either team seemed to hear it. I'm sure it was blown... it's got to be one of those automatic things for referees to do without a thought but you have to admit, that "non-play" was strange.

ouwasp
12/3/2006, 01:44 AM
I'll admit, I was hollering "DELAY OF GAME!!" at the tube when the block occured......then I desperately hoped it was one of those things the refs didn't notice (like they were treating NU's incessant holding)...

When I saw the crappy yellow FLAG box pop up...:(

Just another bad break to overcome. And our boys did!!

Frozen Sooner
12/3/2006, 01:47 AM
It was a weird play. I'll need to look at it again on the DVR, but I thought I saw three separate infractions, all of which negate the TD:

Nebraska commits dead-ball foul of delay of game.
Oklahoma jumps offsides.
Oklahoma illegal forward pass (on the pitch to Holmes)

Of course, there's a reason why I don't officiate-stuff that happens live is way too fast for me.

As for the attempt to draw OU off-their kicker had never hit one that long before, and I can't think of any reason why they'd wait that long to snap the ball. It's not like they had an audible on or anything.

RRWSooner
12/3/2006, 01:53 AM
Who &*^% cares? We won the big 12 championship for christ sakes! Can't Sooner fans be happy just for once???? This game was really huge. I can't find much at all to complain about at all. Just enjoy it....

Joe
12/3/2006, 01:57 AM
Oklahoma illegal forward pass (on the pitch to Holmes)

Good catch. I honestly can't remember if he scooped it to him or muffed the recovery toward holmes.

Phil
12/3/2006, 02:15 AM
Trust me, guys - the refs did it right on all counts. There was no late flag or whistle. The back judge threw his flag immediately and was waving the play off as all of the fun happened. Saw it when I looked back for a flag after the snap. I had been watching the clock, and I knew it was a delay.