PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys see the blind kid that was on college gameday?

Widescreen
12/2/2006, 03:52 PM
Wow! What an awesome story. Blind and crippled since birth he plays excellent piano and also plays trumpet in the Louisville marching band. His dad goes to all the practices with him and pushes him around the field during the marching band routines. Very touching.

If I can I'll try to put the segment out on youtube.

Edit: OK, here's the ESPN segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qTiYA1WiY8

Rogue
12/2/2006, 03:54 PM
It should have had a tearjerker alert on it. It was a great story and the kid can play the hell out of some music.

Readyfor8
12/2/2006, 03:58 PM
Being the jerk I am, I immediatly thought "how does this kid play piano with one hand?" You know reading music in brail while playing piano... not the other thing.

Seriously this was a cool story.

jk the sooner fan
12/2/2006, 04:03 PM
i was at the barber shop this morning while that was on, and the whole place just stood still and watched......an amazing and touching story

OUstud
12/2/2006, 04:19 PM
And how about the "touching" story about Colt Brennan being kicked out of Colorado (!) for sexual assault, then rebounding "heroically" at Hawaii. :rolleyes:

Widescreen
12/2/2006, 05:42 PM
I can't say enough about the kid's dad. Dude works the graveyard shift for UPS so he can go to his son's classes and band practices with him. They both had the best attitude.

Blues1
12/2/2006, 05:46 PM
I can't say enough about the kid's dad. Dude works the graveyard shift for UPS so he can go to his son's classes and band practices with him. They both had the best attitude.

Some Mens Lives are Too Great to be merely succesfull.....!!!!!

Newbomb Turk
12/2/2006, 05:47 PM
wish I'd have seen it. Do post to Youtube and provide a link if you can.

BASSooner
12/2/2006, 06:09 PM
very interesting. right now in my old high school, the football team has a blind kicker. He's not blind to the point where he can't see anything but what he can see is like a tunnel. It's really cool though, because he kicks perfect field goals because he remembers where the ball is when he steps back to kick. He also made a tackle one time...and that was THE greatest thing...I'll never forget it.

birddog
12/2/2006, 06:12 PM
so, he's in a wheelchair and blind?

that's pretty amazing.

BigRedTradition
12/2/2006, 06:45 PM
Would love to see it on Youtube. My son was born with cataracts in both eyes. He sees pretty well now (not sure how well, he's only 2 1/2 so he can't tell us), but we have to put contacts in daily.

Anyway, what an inspiration! :)

sooner-n-ga
12/2/2006, 07:32 PM
http://broadband.espn.go.com/ivp/splash?id=2683527

Indy Sooner
12/2/2006, 08:01 PM
I haven't shed a tear from anything on TV since I watched "Brian's Song" about 25 years ago. A tear escaped when his dad called him his hero. Puts everything in perspective.

OklaPony
12/2/2006, 08:09 PM
Truly an inspirational piece.

the_ouskull
12/2/2006, 09:56 PM
Props to that kid for being able to accomplish his goals and dreams... truly an awesome story.

...however, why can't I just watch a football game and watch football? Why do I have to be treated to all of this "human interest" stuff. Yes, I KNOW that every single college football player overcame: being from a broken home / being from the hood / being REALLY white / being stricken with "Human Interest-itis," etc... but please, tell me all about it on "Outside The Lines." When I'm watching an "Outside The Lines" type show, I KNOW what I'm getting into. I KNOW I'm watching the human interest type stuff... DURING the game... Please, just let me watch the game.

Having said that... pieces like that, on Gameday-type shows, etc... I'm down. Especially when it's a truly great story.

the_ouskull

Widescreen
12/7/2006, 09:59 PM
Bump. I've updated the 1st post with my youtube video.

Texas Golfer
12/7/2006, 11:56 PM

I agree! He gets my vote for best dad ever!

BoomerSooner247
12/8/2006, 12:29 AM
I agree! He gets my vote for best dad ever!wow... just wow... thats a pretty amazing story. he'd get my vote for best dad award.

Fraggle145
12/8/2006, 12:52 AM
Bump. I've updated the 1st post with my youtube video.

Thanks I didnt want to get ESPN 360 to watch it. Good Story.

shavedmarmoset
12/8/2006, 04:06 AM
Wow. I don't care who you are that is remarkable. What a father, what a kid!

noobalicious
12/8/2006, 04:17 AM
That was an extremely touching piece. I don't think I've seen ESPN roll out somethin like that in awhile...maybe ever. Very very inspirational - both the kid and the dad. I agree with the part about the dad calling him his hero. That really tugged at the ol' heartstrings.

justanotherguy
12/8/2006, 09:54 AM
I would like to point out that yes it was a great piece, but that when the kid was thanking everybody in the world at the end, he never mentioned his dad. It was kind of awkward... the camera's kept cutting to his dad, thinking the kid was going to thank him next, and he just never did. I'm sure it was an accident, but it was a little tense...

Sooner_Bob
12/8/2006, 10:10 AM
Very cool story . . . that is one dedicated father.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/8/2006, 11:27 AM
That was very touching and yes, that is one very dedicated father.

stoopified
12/8/2006, 04:53 PM
I saw it when it first ran.GOD MADE ME BLIND AND CRIPPLED,SO WHAT?That was the most courageous staement i have ever heard.It made ashamed of accepting limitations because I am Legally blind.This young MAN has NEVER had any sight and has NEVER been able to walk and yet he marches on,it puts things in perspective.It also makes me so thankful that my son is a healthy,happy,soon to be three yer-old with full mental and physical abilities.

I just pray that GOD grants this family many blessings.Their strength and courage shames me.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/8/2006, 06:36 PM
...and he sure plays a mean pinball.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/8/2006, 06:42 PM
Saaaaawwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttt t!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was very very cool.

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks Widescreen - what a great story.