PDA

View Full Version : Snow Patrol thoughts

Jerk
12/2/2006, 03:12 PM
(long and boring post)

I'll tell you a few things about driving a snow plow truck.

First, they're the worst trucks in our company's fleet because they're only used a few times a year. 6 or 7 of my 28 hours was spent either broke down or in the shop.

Anyway, driving a snow plow in ice and sleet is boring, very boring.

Driving one in heavy snow is a kid-at-heart's dream. Imagine a little boy with a tonka toy playing in the snow, but this thing is huge...they used to be mixer trucks but they took the drums off and put sand hoppers on the back and blades in the front.

Now, when the snow is getting heavy and you're cruising down the road with the plow down, it is serious fun...and it throws that stuff high and far...it makes a friggin white wall like a wave and you cover up alot of stuff. It was just a blast. And I am like a king on the road...I ran lights and did U turns right in front of Yukon and Peidmont cops...they didn't even give me a second look. No one else was out.

There is a bad thing that happens. When you got the blade down and you go over a bridge, sometimes that blade will fall into the expansion joint :eek: Let me tell you, it is a sudden bone rattling jar that will surely get your attention. It's designed to "flop" but it sure goes bang!

My manager saved a woman's life. He was cruising in his pick-up behind another snow truck and thought he saw something (this was in the middle of the night during a white-out out in the country). He turned around and found a woman in the ditch, on her knees, her car down in a creek, both her legs broke, her bleeding from the chest. That was good for him. He had a tough year..he found one of our drivers back in March in a pile of rocks after he got hit by a train.

So...I went in at 4:00PM Wednesday and drove until 10:00AM the next day, then came back at 9:00PM that night and drove until 10:00AM Friday morning. I lost track of dates and times. Good fun. I never seen it thunder and lightening AND snow for so long.

Okieflyer
12/2/2006, 03:16 PM
As they always tell me "that's why you make the big bucks".

Oh wait, they don't tell ME that.

Rogue
12/2/2006, 03:58 PM
Jerk, you must be the only snowplow driver in OK or TX. I lived there from '90-'98 and never saw one 'cept in Dallas once. Up north in Idaho the counties run trucks from Dec-Mar and they are usually the "best" trucks in the fleet.

OUHOMER
12/2/2006, 03:58 PM
So, I guess your company subcontracts with DOT? What about hours of service, Seems you were a little over on on duty hours there buddy:D

King Crimson
12/2/2006, 04:42 PM
Run is overrated.

Jerk
12/2/2006, 04:44 PM
So, I guess your company subcontracts with DOT? What about hours of service, Seems you were a little over on on duty hours there buddy:D

Hours of service gets tossed out the window when they declare a state of emergency.

Yes, we subcontract. And we feel important, too.

OUHOMER
12/2/2006, 04:52 PM
I was wondering how it must feel when you hit pot holes or expansion joints.
Did your back feel each one? But yea i bet it would be a blast.

SicEmBaylor
12/2/2006, 04:55 PM
I think Chasing Cars is way over rated.

VeeJay
12/2/2006, 05:28 PM
Good times!

When I lived in SW Virginia many years ago, I often had to negotiate slick roads due to sleet/snow/impassable mountain roads. They were pretty good about putting salt on the roads, but sometimes the storm would hit quickly and they couldn't react on time. I p*ssed off my boss more than on one occasion, leaving before the sleet/snow hit. I hit a slick spot once and my little Toyota Celica did a complete 180 - fortunately there was no ravine close by so I survived.

My gf and I had tickets to a NASCAR (Busch Series) race at Bristol, about an hour and a half away, and this was iin the spring (March). We took I-81 (I think) and couldn't even see where we were going. 30 minutes before we got to Bristol, the snow stopped and the sun was out when we got there.

Harry Gant won the race that day, and I met Dick Moroso. I can't even remember what I did yesterday, but I remember stuff like that from 1992.

VeeJay
12/2/2006, 05:32 PM
Jerk - you're helping the folks out that need it.

Good jorb.

Newbomb Turk
12/2/2006, 05:38 PM
When I was in H.S. (in South Dakota) we would buy a 12-pack and drive around at night. One night, the beer started getting warm, so we stuck what was left of the 12-pack in a snow bank on the side of the road. When we went back to get it later, the snow plow had came by and hit said snow bank. We had to search around in the snow to recover a few of the beers.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/2/2006, 06:30 PM
I thought this thread was about chasing cars. NM

Jerk
12/2/2006, 06:31 PM
I was wondering how it must feel when you hit pot holes or expansion joints.
Did your back feel each one? But yea i bet it would be a blast.

Foot hurt like a mthrfkr, but I was too pre-occupied with what I was doing to care.

That's why I can't wait for the game to start.

Okieflyer
12/2/2006, 07:07 PM
When I was in H.S. (in South Dakota) we would buy a 12-pack and drive around at night. One night, the beer started getting warm, so we stuck what was left of the 12-pack in a snow bank on the side of the road. When we went back to get it later, the snow plow had came by and hit said snow bank. We had to search around in the snow to recover a few of the beers.

Ahhh, memories of Denver.:cool:

http://www.killsometime.com/Pictures/images/pic1132.jpg

Newbomb Turk
12/2/2006, 07:13 PM
There is something to be said for cold weather.

Mixer!
12/3/2006, 11:48 AM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000F3UADO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55563814_.jpg

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jerk again. :D

KC//CRIMSON
12/8/2006, 05:26 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000F3UADO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55563814_.jpg

:D

In concert March 8, 2007 Cains Ballroom. Tulsa, Oklahoma:cool: