PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?????

blueyedsooner
12/1/2006, 10:18 PM
We just had the WORST child bday party EVAR!!!

We decided to have the "family" bday party at my mother-in-law, b/c her house is bigger and she offered. His actual bday is tomorrow, and we are having our own "family" party then...just me, husband, son1 and son2.
This was just for my mother-in-law, my two sister-in-laws, who each have two kiddos and my niece-in-law who has two kiddos as well. We decided to have it at 7p.m. so we didn't have to feed everyone. I made a cake, b/c store bought ones are too expensive, and this time of year there isn't alot of cash flow!!! :) Plus I make a kickass Dr. Pepper Chocolate Cake and that's what the bday boy wanted.

We took the plates, forks, etc. NO FOOD....YIKES...all hell breaks loose!!! We didn't provide ice cream, we didn't provide pop, we didn't provide pizza or happy meals, we didn't provide chips or snacks..... The cake was Chocolate and on s-i-l doesn't like chocolate...yet she ate 3 pieces of this cake.... Come on people, this was a quick get together for a child. This is what HE wanted.

So there were snide remarks to my face that why didn't you just shell out the money and buy a store bought cake with both vanilla and chocolate and one that was big enough for everyone to take home left overs. And could we not have brought pizza or happy meals. And why in the world didn't we bring our gifts to our son...... UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!! They wanted to see what we got him.....

I just had to bitch! I have never seen grown adults fight over a kids bday party and how there wasn't something for them there!!!!!!! Our poor son was so sad b/c everyone left b/c of the above reasons and his cousins didn't get to see him open his presents.....RIDICULOUS!!!

With a party like this we'd have been better off inviting his biological mother and half brother and sister to our house..... ;)

Tailwind
12/1/2006, 10:21 PM
Stay away from in-laws.........they suck!

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2006, 10:22 PM
My advice is don't be cheap.

Mongo
12/1/2006, 10:23 PM
Stay away from in-laws.........they suck!

Truer words have never been said.

blueyedsooner
12/1/2006, 10:24 PM

Well I see it as.....it's for my son. I'd rather spend the money on him, than making other people happy with cake and food! But hey, I'm just a
"STEP-mom" so what do I know...... ;)

1stTimeCaller
12/1/2006, 10:26 PM
that's terrible. hopefully the party tomorrow will make him forget about the party today.

Mongo
12/1/2006, 10:26 PM
Next year, make a special cake for the bitchers and complainers filled with exlax.

YWIA

StoopTroup
12/1/2006, 10:27 PM
That's sad.

I can't believe anyone with any sense would say that in front of the kid whose party it was.

They need therapy.

If your Son was OK with what you did for him...that's all that matters.

blueyedsooner
12/1/2006, 10:28 PM
Next year, make a special cake for the bitchers and complainers filled with exlax.

YWIA

On my calendar....thanks! :)

StoopTroup
12/1/2006, 10:29 PM

YWIA
Next year ?

Next year they should throw him a party out of their own pockets.

What a bunch of messed up folks.

sanantoniosooner
12/1/2006, 10:30 PM
Single college student has parenting advice.

Nice;)

handcrafted
12/1/2006, 10:31 PM
One thing about kids parties: when they grow up, they will not remember anything about them. :D

blueyedsooner
12/1/2006, 10:33 PM
One of the sister-in-laws has a son with the same bday....she's the one that caused the whole fuss. She plays the whole competition thing....and gets mad that we don't play along. She is having his bday party tomorrow and we usually do them together. We just decided it was too much money for everything she wants to do. It's always as follows: "Oh, My cake is huge it has everyone favorite and was the most expensive one they had." and "I always make sure everyone get a gift bag, that's what bday parties are about!" and "That's all you got your son....well I'm getting mine this and this and this and it cost me this much!" UUUGGGGGGGHHH!!!!! SHe's pathetic and I'm furious that I let it get to me so bad tonight. I've just never had someone be that rude to me or anyone in my family!

Tailwind
12/1/2006, 10:37 PM
Maybe her fortunes will reverse and she can get a much needed taste of "can't afford it".

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/1/2006, 10:46 PM
BlueEyed,

It sounds like you had a nice party for your boy. If they continue to complain you should tell them that the cake is what he wanted and then ignore them.

Sounds like it'll be their own problem next year if he decides he no longer wants to celebrate his special day with them.

setem
12/1/2006, 10:48 PM
Did anyone crap in the ball pit?

I say you shoot them....SHOOT THEM ALL!

olevetonahill
12/1/2006, 10:50 PM
tell em **** off dip ****s
spoil the kid tommorrow

LilSooner
12/1/2006, 11:11 PM
ooooohhhhh you better be glad that Rhino and I didn't show up tonight, or better yet just me.

Nobody screws up my future nephew's birthday. And NOBODY talks **** to my future sister-inlaw.

This really angers me I hate it when grown *** adults make happy and joyous occasions really suck for their kids.

StoopTroup
12/1/2006, 11:15 PM
WERD.

SCOUT
12/1/2006, 11:19 PM
Kids birthday parties have spiraled out of control IMO. Give your kid what they want and your "real" family will be happy. Those complainers are really just leaches.

proud gonzo
12/1/2006, 11:59 PM
hell, next year I wouldn't have a party with them at all Keep it to just you and leave out all the bitches.

blueyedsooner
12/2/2006, 12:05 AM
hell, next year I wouldn't have a party with them at all Keep it to just you and leave out all the bitches.

Yeah that's the plan, Stan... We're done with "family" bday parties on this side!

blueyedsooner
12/2/2006, 12:12 AM
ooooohhhhh you better be glad that Rhino and I didn't show up tonight, or better yet just me.

Nobody screws up my future nephew's birthday. And NOBODY talks **** to my future sister-inlaw.

This really angers me I hate it when grown *** adults make happy and joyous occasions really suck for their kids.

I know....they are some crazy*** yainches!

I'm just glad everyone agrees with me b/c I was starting to think I did something wrong by scarring my child with a homemade cake!:( Glad that I'm not the crazy one! He really had a blast and he got to open some more presents when he got home. Once he got his scooter (to replace the stolen one) and his mp3 player....he was floating on cloud nine....he just went nightie night. He had a good "un"bday regardless of the craziness. The real deal will be tomorrow anyway....

olevetonahill
12/2/2006, 01:17 AM
I know....they are some crazy*** yainches!

I'm just glad everyone agrees with me b/c I was starting to think I did something wrong by scarring my child with a homemade cake!:( Glad that I'm not the crazy one! He really had a blast and he got to open some more presents when he got home. Once he got his scooter (to replace the stolen one) and his mp3 player....he was floating on cloud nine....he just went nightie night. He had a good "un"bday regardless of the craziness. The real deal will be tomorrow anyway....
Sounds like you are a good Momma
Like I said tell the other idiots to
shut the **** up
or **** off dip ****s

tommieharris91
12/2/2006, 02:16 AM
My advice: Give sis-in-law a gym membership for Christmas.

soonerbrat
12/2/2006, 02:18 AM
can ya give me the recipe for that cake? sounds yummy

Jerk
12/2/2006, 05:01 AM
Dayum.

People look at me like "why did you marry a terrorist?" when they find out my wife is Iranian.

They have no idea how lucky I am. They (my in-laws) are the most docile and quiet folks I have ever been around. EVAR. I mean, you reallllly have to do something to get them riled up.

OTOH, My mom's side of the family....well, Thanksgiving is like an All My Children episode. Bring your own vehicle, in case you need to make an emergency bug-out.

I'm sorry you were treated like that after putting in all that work and effort. If I were there, I promise, you'd have to make me stop eating the cake (share with others!) and I would have thanked you profusely whilst laying on the couch with a swolen stomach.

LilSooner
12/2/2006, 08:43 AM
Nobody disrespects the Dr. Pepper chocolate cake. I can't wait to get into the family just so maybe I have an outside chance of getting that recipe.

Seriously, what is wrong with those people. So does little bit love his MP3 player? His uncle and I were talking about the songs he was going to put on there for him. I think he is going to try to do it tomorrow.

Cam
12/2/2006, 08:18 PM
Exactly. My step-mom could suck the joy out of winning a $888 million lottery. We decided not to do holiday's with her side of the family any longer. Life's been much easier since then. The sad thing is that her side of the family is pretty damn cool, it's only her that ruins it for everybody.

VeeJay
12/3/2006, 02:42 AM
So there were snide remarks to my face that why didn't you just shell out the money and buy a store bought cake with both vanilla and chocolate and one that was big enough for everyone to take home left overs.

Are you kidding me??

Who the hell takes home leftovers from a kid's birthday party??

What is wrong with people??

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/3/2006, 11:10 AM
On 2nd thought, they are jealous they can't make Dr. Pepper Chocolate Cake.

blueyedsooner
12/3/2006, 11:39 AM
I'm tellin' ya it is a neverending jelousy battle with the one sister-in-law. It's usually pretty amusing watching her fall all over herself trying to one up everyone...but this time she was just down right nasty. Oh well, it's gotta suck to be her and live a life trapped in jelousy!!! :)

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/3/2006, 11:50 AM
Invite them next year but also invite Dolemite ;)

Mixer!
12/3/2006, 12:12 PM
:les: YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!

:D

MamaMia
12/3/2006, 01:44 PM
I hope he got some Sooner things. :D

It sounds as if these people assumed there would be dinner, even though I'm certain you never said, nor sent any invitations stating anything of the kind. Maybe they made that assumption because 7:00 is a popular supper time for many families. Even so, its rude for them to have said anything.

Anyway, I think its great you made a cake. They are so much better than store bought. Here is my recipe for a sprite cake for people who cant have chocolate. I also have a recipe for a Chocolate Coca Cola cake if anyone wants it. They are both delicious.

All you'll need is...
1 1/2 cups room temperature unsalted butter
3 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla or vanilla extract
5 eggs
3 cups flour
1 cup Sprite

What you do is...
-Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
-Cream up your butter and sugar with a mixer, add your vanilla or extract.
-Add the eggs, one at a time while mixing well.
-Alternate adding flour and sprite. Mix well.
-Pour into a floured and greased pan.
-Bake 1 hr and 30 minutes until golden brown.

I frost mine with a simple butter cream frosting.

Petro-Sooner
12/3/2006, 02:49 PM
Looks familiar to the one mom always made. Great stuff! Now about the Dr. Pepper. How much do you put in the cake??

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/3/2006, 08:08 PM
I had never heard of Dr. Pepper cake, so I googled it. Methinks blueeyedsooner's SIL is crazy. Glad she is getting Lil. . .

Here is a recipe I found of it, sounds awesome. I'm sure hers is better though.

Cake
2 cups sifted flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup Dr Pepper
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Frosting
3/4 cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup Dr Pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Instructions
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans, tapping out any extra flour. Sift together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa and baking soda into a bowl and set aside. Pour the Dr Pepper into a saucepan and add the chocolate chips. Heat on low, stirring often, until the chips are just melted. Pull off the heat and set aside.
Combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a mixer bowl and mix on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly pour in the Dr Pepper-chocolate mixture and continue beating until combined, about 1 minute.
With mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more. Divide the batter between the 2 pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the layers in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and flip the pans over onto a cooling rack. Gently lift off the pans and let the cake layers cool completely.
To make frosting, beat shortening and butter in a mixer bowl until soft and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and cocoa, and continue mixing until combined. Stir together the Dr Pepper and vanilla and very slowly pour it into the frosting, beating with the mixer on high speed to thin it a bit. Continue beating until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Set first layer, top down, on a flat plate. Spread 1 cup of the frosting on top. Top with the second cake layer and spread the rest of the frosting on the top and sides of the cake, making attractive swirls.