PDA

View Full Version : A-10 Thunderbolt II

Jerk
12/1/2006, 08:01 PM
Next Generation: A-10C Arrives at Davis-Monthan
(Source: US Air Force; issued Nov. 30, 2006)

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/base/util/76207_1.jpg

DAVIS-MONTHAN AIR FORCE BASE, Ariz. --- The A-10C Thunderbolt II made its official roll-out debut here Nov. 29, revealing its transformation and its enhanced capabilities under the Precision Engagement program.

The Precision Engagement program will offer the A-10 the most significant modifications it has ever received in its 30-year history, making it a more capable and survivable attack fighter, according to Maj. Dan Walls, 355th Training Squadron director of conversion training unit operations.

"Precision Engagement increases the lethality, survivability and standoff of one of the most respected and recognized attack aircraft in the world and ushers in a new era in the A-10 story," Major Walls said.

Under this program, the A-10 will receive numerous enhancements including the full integration of sensors, including data link and a targeting pod, allowing the A-10C to identify and strike targets from higher altitudes and greater distances without sacrificing accuracy. This integration also will enhance the aircraft's communication capabilities.

The cockpit will undergo modifications under the program with the introduction of two new multi-functional color displays and a new hands-on-throttle-and-stick interface. These enhancements translate into increased situational awareness for the pilot and the ability to perform most tasks without removing his or her hands from the throttle or stick.

As a result of this upgrade, the A-10C is projected to remain operational into the end of the 2020s, well beyond its initial expected lifespan, Major Walls said.

At the roll-out ceremony, Col. Kent Laughbaum, 355th Wing commander, introduced the arrival of the upgraded jet with reminiscent words on the history of the A-10. He ended by citing several of the technological advancements made to the A-10C and the possibilities for it in the future.

Guests and media later took the opportunity to see the newest modifications up close as A-10C pilots and maintainers showed them around the aircraft and the cockpit. A desktop simulator also was provided for visitors to experience virtual flight in the modified jet.

"We're going to see at least another generation of the A-10 at (Davis-Monthan)," said Colonel Laughbaum. "It is an exciting day for Davis-Monthan and the A-10 community."

-ends-

This thing is awesome at sending jihadists to meet their 72 virgins.

reevie
12/1/2006, 08:33 PM
I love watching A-10s fly. They rock!

KABOOKIE
12/1/2006, 08:35 PM
The cockpit will undergo modifications under the program with the introduction of two new multi-functional color displays and a new hands-on-throttle-and-stick interface. These enhancements translate into increased situational awareness for the pilot and the ability to perform most tasks without removing his or her hands from the throttle or stick.

Welcome to the year 2000 A10!!! ;)

1stTimeCaller
12/1/2006, 09:32 PM
my cousin's husband drives those. He loves it. He just graduated from the A-10 school there in Tuscon and is now stationed there full time, for now.

BudSooner
12/1/2006, 10:14 PM
Good to see the old girl still has her place, and hasn't lost her charm.

AND NO! I'm not talking about the Gov of LSUanna

afs
12/1/2006, 10:29 PM
all this new technology and the pilots will still use grease pencils on the inside of the cockpit during missions.

God Bless the 'hog.

mrowl
12/1/2006, 10:29 PM
A relative has written a few books about the A-10. Really cool.

Norm In Norman
12/1/2006, 10:56 PM
I used to have an A-10 Warthog flight simulator. It was fun. That's all the info I have about this.

1stTimeCaller
12/1/2006, 11:04 PM
Hey AF people in the know. I've heard that every time the AF plans on scrapping the A-10, the Army jumps up and says fine, we'll buy them from you so the AF keeps them so as to keep them AF and not Army. Is any of that even kind of true?

Jerk
12/2/2006, 04:47 AM
Hey AF people in the know. I've heard that every time the AF plans on scrapping the A-10, the Army jumps up and says fine, we'll buy them from you so the AF keeps them so as to keep them AF and not Army. Is any of that even kind of true?

I don't know. I think the Army is very limited on how many fixed-wing aircraft their allowed to have. I'm just guessing here, but they probably have a few King Airs to fly generals around, and that's it. As far as total flying machines go, the Army probably has more than the Air Force, Marines, and Navy combined. We're the only nation on earth with 4 air forces. Even the Marines fly F/A-18's, Harriers, Cobras, and more.

I bet, though, that the Army does raise holly hell everytime a rumor gets started about the A-10's demise.

afs
12/2/2006, 06:41 AM

i'm sure Homey will correct me but my understanding is that ever since the A-10 came out the USA has been interested in operating them. I'd doubt that the AF keeps them around soley to keep them out of the hands of the USA, but the fact that the Army love the Hog is a definite reason it's still around.

The A-10 plays a big role in Combat Search and Rescue missions, which benefits service members across the DoD, so it's not just a ground pounder support tool.

Rogue
12/2/2006, 07:52 AM
That's the loudest noise-making machine I've ever heard. Damn they're loud!

reevie
12/2/2006, 11:35 AM
The Air Force has said (several times) they're going to replace the A-10 with the F-16 and now I believe the F-35. I just don't see how those two platforms can even remotely do that close air support mission as well as the A-10.

opksooner
12/2/2006, 11:39 AM
One engine, hung on the left side? WTF ;)

Jerk
12/2/2006, 11:41 AM
http://www.canadaka.net/files/thumbs/t_gau-8a_275.jpg

I like the A-10.

It's like....a gun...with wings and a tail.

Jerk
12/2/2006, 11:42 AM
One engine, hung on the left side? WTF ;)

Yes, the pilots are required to have extra-heavy boots on their left foot.

slickdawg
12/2/2006, 02:10 PM
Gee, this thing will outlive the F117 two to three times.

Jerk
12/2/2006, 02:20 PM
Gee, this thing will outlive the F117 two to three times.

But... it won't out live the B-52 :)

Okla-homey
12/3/2006, 08:29 AM

or the T-37. "Tweets"...still flying since 1955.

Jerk
12/3/2006, 09:39 AM
or the T-37. "Tweets"...still flying since 1955.

That finally got replaced by some single-engine turbo-prop thing majig, did it not?

Okla-homey
12/3/2006, 09:41 AM
That finally got replaced by some single-engine turbo-prop thing majig, did it not?

Not replaced. Just augmented. There are still about 400 Tweets flying.

slickdawg
12/4/2006, 09:17 AM

Nothing will - the finest bomber ever made.

BUFF!

Okla-homey
12/4/2006, 09:20 AM
Nothing will - the finest bomber ever made.

BUFF!

When I first transitioned to BONE's (Rockwell Int'l), the BUFF (Boeing) guys I left used to say...

When you want a table saw, buy Rockwell. When you want a bomber, buy Boeing.:D

See, back in the day, Rockwell made powertools...back before Makita, DeWalt, et. al.

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2006, 09:28 AM
See, back in the day, Rockwell made powertools...back before Makita, DeWalt, et. al.
Rockwell was purchased by Porter Cable and makes tools under that name now.

Dewalt specialized in Radial Arm Saws until Black And Decker purchased them and applied their name to their industrial line of tools.

Back to jet talk.

Okla-homey
12/4/2006, 09:35 AM
Rockwell was purchased by Porter Cable and makes tools under that name now.

Dewalt specialized in Radial Arm Saws until Black And Decker purchased them and applied their name to their industrial line of tools.

Back to jet talk.

I understood the traditionally aerospace-oriented North American Rockwell got into into commercial power tools because of their work with the space program. It is my understanding that cordless power tools were developed for the space program, especially the Shuttle. The Shuttle, as you are no doubt aware, was originally designed and built by Rockwell. I could regale you for a couple hours on shuttle technology that made its way into the BONE, but that would prolly bore you.

Anyhoo, any truth to the legend that cordless power tools are an outgrowth of the space program, or is that myth?

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2006, 09:45 AM
Anyhoo, any truth to the legend that cordless power tools are an outgrowth of the space program, or is that myth?
Robert H. Riley Jr.
Invented first cordless drill for Black & Decker in 1961; developed tools for early space programs

Robert Riley never knew what would happen when he tested battery packs for the first cordless drills in his lab at Black & Decker, so he built a special room to contain the occasional explosions. Nicad battery technology was in its infancy in 1960 when Riley experimented with portable power, so he had to improvise. He created four-cell packs consisting of half-sections of D-cell batteries held together with plastic shrink wrap.

He'd hook them up, max them out, and see how much power he could generate with his DC motors.

These days it may be hard to imagine a world without cordless tools, but the motivation behind Riley's research stemmed from the day's demographics. Aluminum storm window installation was one of the biggest markets for contractors in the late 1950s and early 1960s. A contractor would typically show up at a home during the day, plug his tools into a porch lamp adapter, and ask the housewife to turn on the light switch. Then the demographics changed and women entered or re-entered the job market. Homes were vacant during the day, and nobody was there to turn on the power for contractors. Battery power seemed to be the answer, and cordless tools got off to a fairly inauspicious beginning.

Riley faced a tough challenge. In 1960, 120-volt, professional-grade drills put out 200 to 250 watts, Riley's first 4.8-volt cordless drills could only produce 10 to 20 watts, so he employed new techniques to make his battery-powered tools as efficient as possible. He made the brushes out of silver graphite, designed a 12-to-1 gear reduction to increase torque and reduce gear loss, used a 64-pitch gear with very fine teeth, and reduced the armature pinion's diameter to 1/8-inch. He also made the rotor out of silver graphite to reduce voltage drop on the comutator, and wired the switch contact with flexible wire so he only needed one stationary contact.

In 1962, Riley filed for a patent on a heavier duty ˝-inch drill for industrial use. It had two handles and each housed a battery pack. Early test results proved the tool could drill 567 3/16-inch diameter, 2-inch-deep holes–or run continuously for one hour and 16 minutes–on one charge. Riley's patent application clearly set the stage for today's cordless tool designs, stating the intent that the invention produce, " ... the same output torque as that of a conventional ˝-inch electric drill." Riley received a patent for the drill in 1965.

By the late 1960's Riley had doubled the tool's power output to 35 to 40 watts. His research took an unexpected turn when Martin Marrietta contracted with Black & Decker to design tools for the national space program in the mid-1960's. The first tool Riley helped develop was a zero-impact wrench for the Gemini project. The tool allowed an astronaut to spin bolts in zero-gravity without spinning himself. And then came the Apollo moon program. Black & Decker developed a cordless rotary hammer for the mission; it had hollow core-sample drill bits and could operate at extreme temperatures and in zero-atmosphere conditions.

Cordless tools didn't become widely popular until the 1980s, but Robert Riley stands near the top of the Hall of Fame list for his inventions and the way they changed the tool industry forever.

Okla-homey
12/4/2006, 09:48 AM
Aluminum storm window installation was one of the biggest markets for contractors in the late 1950s and early 1960s. A contractor would typically show up at a home during the day, plug his tools into a porch lamp adapter, and ask the housewife to turn on the light switch. Then the demographics changed and women entered or re-entered the job market. Homes were vacant during the day, and nobody was there to turn on the power for contractors. Battery power seemed to be the answer, and cordless tools got off to a fairly inauspicious beginning.

Wow, just wow. It makes perfect sense though. Thanks.