PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bradford

Widescreen
12/1/2006, 04:44 PM
So what's his story? Has any news leaked out about his progress? I know almost nothing about the guy but I'm curious to see how he will factor in during spring practice.

All_Day_28
12/1/2006, 04:58 PM
he was a stud in high school and will definitely be a factor... other than that I have heard anything..

Widescreen
12/1/2006, 05:03 PM
...will probably definitely be a factor
Well which is it? :P

CtheB
12/1/2006, 05:05 PM
I don't think he's necessarily "out of the mix", and if we didn't get Halzle any mop-up time why would we blow his 'shirt? He's probably had your typcial redshirt year...run scout, get in the weight room and learn the offense. I just don't think he's been given enough to decide whether he can or cannot get the job done. Whether he ever sees the field or not is unknown, but with Nichol coming, two and one years in the program with Halzle and Bradford, and possibly Flynn or a JUCO coming in January, it's a sure thing there will be competition in the spring. Good thing.

All_Day_28
12/1/2006, 05:10 PM
Well which is it? :P
:P lolol.... lol @ your avi too..

goingoneight
12/1/2006, 05:10 PM
Bradford was a great HS QB and manages the offense well in scout practices. He's getting bigger and stronger in his RS year.

I think what you may be asking is why are we shooting so high for a QB with Bradford already on campus. It works that way typically. We did it with Bomar when we had Thompson and Rawls (???) I believe. Texas had Colt, who was the small-town HS hero QB like Bradford, and they were pressing to get Snead while McCoy was in redshirt. Right now, no one but God knows who will start, so it is a great recruiting seller to emphasize competition, and I think with John L. Smith getting canned, Nichol was probably jumping with Joy to hear from yeat another D-1 school, especially the "Coach of the Year's" program...

Something tells me we'll see Bradford start in 2006 and we'll redshirt and condition OUr n00bs. Stoops is building quality depth at QB is the way I see it. From what I hear, Bradford has a lot of respect among his teamates and is a well spoken young guy. At PC North, he was known for pocket passing as his strength and is a great basketball player, so I take it he's got some moves and runs well. From what I've seen in HS and in practices and pre-game warmups, he's field-smart as well. Like Heupel and Thompson...

All_Day_28
12/1/2006, 05:12 PM
We did it with Bomar when we had Thompson and Rawls (???) I believe. .
It was Grady instead of Rawls...

CtheB
12/1/2006, 05:14 PM
eight...great analysis of him. Same thoughts on him watching him in HS. Great vision, arm not terrific but adequate, and very good making decisions with the ball. He could be the starter in 2007, but I am thinking someone else is coming in January.

Widescreen
12/1/2006, 05:21 PM
Good insight. Keep it coming.

All_Day_28
12/1/2006, 05:21 PM
eight...great analysis of him. Same thoughts on him watching him in HS. Great vision, arm not terrific but adequate, and very good making decisions with the ball. He could be the starter in 2006, but I am thinking someone else is coming in January.
hmmm.. and who might that be??

CtheB
12/1/2006, 05:27 PM
I don't know why, but everything I've heard and read makes me think Flynn is going to transfer to OU. It's just a conclusion I've drawn, no sources, no facts, or anything, just my own thoughts.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 05:28 PM
I for one would love to see an Okie kid running the team

All_Day_28
12/1/2006, 05:29 PM
I for one would love to see an Okie kid running the team
Jason White anyone?

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 05:31 PM
Point? I like when the Okie kids get some National Press

Ash
12/1/2006, 05:34 PM
I've mentioned it in other posts, but seems appropriate to bring it up again.

I've heard Al and some other Animal illuminati, when talking about the future of OUs QB situation, mention that Bradford is coming along quickly and has impressed the coaches. No specifics, no real story -- you know, typical Animal stuff. FWIW

Other than that, sorry I don't have any super secret inside sources like others do.

All_Day_28
12/1/2006, 05:41 PM
Point? I like when the Okie kids get some National Press
I thought my point was clear.. I was agreeing with you..

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 05:43 PM
I thought my point was clear.. I was agreeing with you..

I thought you mentioned him with bad intentions. A lot of folks don't like him anymore. :D

goingoneight
12/1/2006, 05:44 PM
I've mentioned it in other posts, but seems appropriate to bring it up again.

I've heard Al and some other Animal illuminati, when talking about the future of OUs QB situation, mention that Bradford is coming along quickly and has impressed the coaches. No specifics, no real story -- you know, typical Animal stuff. FWIW

Other than that, sorry I don't have any super secret inside sources like others do.

Traber: Well, it doesn't really matter, you OU homer. Bobby Reid is going to win the Heisman and the National Championship and finish with a 2-1 mark on Oklahoma... homer.

:D

bstuff1979
12/1/2006, 05:58 PM
I like Bradford, but unless he's grown as a qb by leaps and bounds I don't think he's going to start next season. I covered pcnorth (worked part time as a sportswriter last year) and while you could tell that he was "the man" (along with an absolute freak at wideout that year at pcn) you could also see that he had a ways to go before D1. I think he could be a solid backup next year and, depending on the circumstances, be a starter the following season. He reminded me a bit of Hyble, and that's a good thing, with more mobility. Some pocket decisions weren't the best when he was facing a hard rush (pcn vs pc game his sr year) but on the whole I think he'll do really well if given the time to mature at the position.

TUSooner
12/1/2006, 05:58 PM
Nice jorb, goingoneight (unless yu just made it all up. :) )
I saw Sam at PC North last season, and I thought he looked pretty good, but I'm no scout by any means.
THANKS

All_Day_28
12/1/2006, 06:31 PM
I thought you mentioned him with bad intentions. A lot of folks don't like him anymore. :D
Never.. I have a lot of respect for JW.. especially after all he fought back from and still won a Heisman..

TXBOOMER
12/1/2006, 07:36 PM
I don't know why, but everything I've heard and read makes me think Flynn is going to transfer to OU. It's just a conclusion I've drawn, no sources, no facts, or anything, just my own thoughts.

I am hearing Lester may go with Flynn over Perrilllllouuuu. Perrillllouuuuu may be on his way to McNeese State if the spring doesn't go his way. I don't see there being any chance Flynn plays at OU. It would be nice, but I don't see it.

DrZaius
12/1/2006, 07:52 PM
Jason White anyone?

Hopefully without the pressure collapses though! :eek:

CtheB
12/2/2006, 12:00 AM
I am hearing Lester may go with Flynn over Perrilllllouuuu. Perrillllouuuuu may be on his way to McNeese State if the spring doesn't go his way. I don't see there being any chance Flynn plays at OU. It would be nice, but I don't see it.

Interesting, TXBoomer, and thanks for the info. Seems to me the Perriloux move to McNeese State or anywhere not Baton Rouge is imminent. On an aside, where is Perriloux at if he sticks with his original commit? Ahead of or behind McCoy?

chbrew09
12/2/2006, 03:17 AM
Interesting, TXBoomer, and thanks for the info. Seems to me the Perriloux move to McNeese State or anywhere not Baton Rouge is imminent. On an aside, where is Perriloux at if he sticks with his original commit? Ahead of or behind McCoy?

dont think that would happen any way, but if it did...it would definetely go to colt. as long as colt stays injury free (which is not looking like a sure thing), he is the man at texas for awhile...lest we forget, if not for his injury, I believe he would have easily broke the freshman NCAA TD record (he was 3 away before the original shoulder boo boo)...Perilloux is unproven and colt showed that barring injury, he is pretty legit as the leader of UT's offense. Also, Mack has a hard time disrespecting his proven QB's by throwing the new, young stud in there (exception, Major Applewhite getting screwed by Chrissy). regardless, perilloux wont be going to texas...I doubt they'd even want him anymore with brantley and john chiles coming in.

TXBOOMER
12/2/2006, 12:13 PM
If Perilloux would have went to texass in the first place, I truly believe he would have started this year. Now that Colt has proven he can play, I don't think there is any way Perilloux could get ahead of him especially since he would have to sit out a year. On a side note, I predict John Brantley will be the starter at texass before Colt graduates.

StormySooner-IN
12/8/2008, 08:45 PM
(Bored, looking thru the archives.....)

Yes, it appears Sam Bradford could become a 'factor' on the team....

OUHOMER
12/8/2008, 08:57 PM
amazing what 2 years will do for ya

soonerinabilene
12/8/2008, 08:57 PM
eh, im still on the fence with this guy. Sophomore slump and all. We'll see how he responds his junior year.

StoopTroup
12/8/2008, 09:17 PM
That widescreen guy is such a dumbass...

I knew then that Sam Bradford would be a great one.

That's why I didn't post.

DreamZ22
12/8/2008, 09:20 PM
I think he will do ok... Sam needs to throw for 5500 yards and 110 tds next year or it will be considered a down year.

StormySooner-IN
12/8/2008, 09:32 PM
Here is an exceptional thread about Magic Sam: http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/11159587/1

Flying Scotsman
12/8/2008, 09:38 PM
So why did we recruit this guy anyway? <grin>

tommieharris91
12/8/2008, 10:30 PM
Halzle should be the starter.

josh09
12/8/2008, 10:57 PM
Best bump ever.

achiro
12/8/2008, 11:16 PM
I like Bradford, but unless he's grown as a qb by leaps and bounds I don't think he's going to start next season. I covered pcnorth (worked part time as a sportswriter last year) and while you could tell that he was "the man" (along with an absolute freak at wideout that year at pcn) you could also see that he had a ways to go before D1. I think he could be a solid backup next year and, depending on the circumstances, be a starter the following season. He reminded me a bit of Hyble, and that's a good thing, with more mobility. Some pocket decisions weren't the best when he was facing a hard rush (pcn vs pc game his sr year) but on the whole I think he'll do really well if given the time to mature at the position.

heh, I found it kind of funny that the "sportswriter" is the only one that had negatives(incorrect at that) to say about Sam. :D

Curly Bill
12/8/2008, 11:20 PM
This was a fun read....good bump.

Widescreen
12/8/2008, 11:28 PM
That widescreen guy is such a dumbass...

:O

GrapevineSooner
12/8/2008, 11:33 PM
I remember this thread.

I was so aghast that anyone would think that nothing but greatness would come Sam's way, I didn't post, either.

Just like ST. :D

Sooner98
12/8/2008, 11:55 PM
Just for fun, someone needs to go and find the infamous "Bradford seems like he sucks" thread started on Hornfans sometime before the 2007 season. Idiots.

Mobits
12/9/2008, 02:06 AM
On another note from this thread... looks like Colt will still be the starter next year :D

Toronto Sooner
12/9/2008, 03:19 AM
I remember reading on this site (even back in 2006) that people were hearing that Sam Bradford was really impressing the coaching staff - maybe some of it was from this thread. It sounded promsing at the time but I didn't know what to think of it, as I didn't know much about Sam (other than what was on his recruiting profile).

I think Bob Stoops, and this coaching staff, has an amazing eye for talent. They can also develop players. Another key also is selecting players with the right attitude. For example, coach Cale Gundy says that he will not recruit a player (no matter how talented and how many stars) unless that player puts the team first. A perfect example of this is the success of Murray, Brown and Madu.

aurorasooner
12/9/2008, 03:33 AM
Oh, Dear Lord. And I thought not voting for Sammy because of the the BCS tiebreaker protest deal was idiotic.
Detroit Free Press columnist Drew Sharp left Bradford off his ballot completely for just that reason. He voted Tebow first, then McCoy and Crabtree.

"I don't mean to disparage Bradford, but I think in that system almost anyone could put up those kind of numbers," Sharp said.

12/9/2008, 03:46 AM
:D Good stuff. You win some, you win some, I guess...

sooner n houston
12/9/2008, 07:49 AM
Just for fun, someone needs to go and find the infamous "Bradford seems like he sucks" thread started on Hornfans sometime before the 2007 season. Idiots.

Yea, that was one of my favorite threads evar!!!

I belive they deleted it though. I know they locked it so we couldn't keep bringing it to the top, as several of us were doing every week. :D

It is still refrenced frequently over there too.

Good stuff.

Widescreen
12/9/2008, 08:18 AM
Detroit Free Press columnist Drew Sharp left Bradford off his ballot completely for just that reason. He voted Tebow first, then McCoy and Crabtree.

"I don't mean to disparage Bradford, but I think in that system almost anyone could put up those kind of numbers," Sharp said.
That's the first time I've heard an OU QB referred to as a "system QB". Interesting that no other OU QB has done what Sam is doing. I can't wait to see Landry come in and throw for 4500 in his first year.

Hot Rod
12/9/2008, 08:24 AM

The Infamous? INFAMOUS?!
http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/3a_011ThreeAmigos.jpg

tommieharris91
12/9/2008, 12:10 PM

It's not like Texas Tech always has a receiver who puts up big numbers every season...

HBick
12/9/2008, 01:35 PM
Completely off the ballot? That's just terrible. Oh well, Big 10 bias as usual.

Partial Qualifier
12/9/2008, 02:31 PM
That's the first time I've heard an OU QB referred to as a "system QB". Interesting that no other OU QB has done what Sam is doing. I can't wait to see Landry come in and throw for 4500 in his first year.

Yeah, you know -- it's that system that allows for ridiculous yardage and an obscene TD/INT ratio. Oh and two (2) 1000-yard rushers.

you know... THAT system. ;)

swardboy
12/9/2008, 03:59 PM
Heard Trev tell Dan Patrick he mailed in his Heisman ballot: 1. Tebow, 2. McCoy, 3. Bradford.

Just unfair that Sammy had such a great line, receivers, and backs to work with.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/9/2008, 04:16 PM
I like how everyone says OU can not compete with the speed and talent of Florida but Sam is somehow a product of the speed and talent of those around him, whereas Tebow is amazing because somehow he overcomes the fact that he has better athletes than Bradford....It is not logical at all

Toronto Sooner
12/9/2008, 04:31 PM
You know, it's quite amazing. I've never seen or heard anything like it, at least not against a team that has been so accomplished. It's relentless, and they are totally contradicting themselves - quite often in the same conversation.

First they say that OU doesn't deserve to be in the national championship game (even though OU was the only team to beat 5 top 25 opponents and OU shattered most offensive records of the modern ear). Then they say that Sam doesn't deserve to win the heisman because he has too much talent around him.

Which is it? Is OU talentless or is OU too talented?

I'm sure that even Forrest Gump would say that these guys are talking through their buttock.

aurorasooner
12/9/2008, 05:40 PM
When I was reading that article last night and got to that quote I had to reread it about 3 times because I didn't believe some hack could be that stupid w/o being on Mack's payroll. Maybe this guy has a Sooner cob up his azz about Nichol leaving Michigan and not being able to immediately step in at QB here.
In any event, I've seen a lot of quality college QBs pass the football, and I haven't seen many who can constantly put the ball in the "easy-catch-zone" like Sammy. When you're at the Stadium or watching a Regional ABC or Fox telecast you can't observe it like you can by watching a prime-time ESPN telecast where they have that mobile aerial cam that sets up directly behind the offense. The OU/Nebraska game comes to mind this year. In my armchair QB's opinion, that ability to visualize a middle crossing route opening up before it happens while being able to accurately put the ball in that easy-catch-zone between defenders is something a college QB either has or he doesn't and if he doesn't even though he has a gun for an arm he may hold a clipboard in the NFL for 5 or 6 years or more until he gets it, if he ever does. It's one thing to be able to scramble out of the pocket and throw a 15 yard completion to a wide-open receiver and another thing altogether to throw a 30 or 35 yard crossing route from in the pocket over rushing DL and put it right in the seam on the money splitting a safety and cornerback.
System or not that's pretty damned freakin' good, imo