PDA

View Full Version : Why Arrowhead???

winnard
12/1/2006, 10:44 AM
How much longer will they have the BigXII game in KC? How about a Houston sometime, I'm tired of freeeeezing my A$$ off!

winnard

SoonerShark
12/1/2006, 10:51 AM
Kickbacks surely has much to do with this. It makes no freakin' sense otherwise.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 10:54 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's why

H&P
12/1/2006, 11:04 AM
Why not? The North is an equal part of the conference.

MamaMia
12/1/2006, 11:05 AM
Maybe when the Dallas Cowboys finish their new stadium, we could have the Big XII Championship game there? Our possible Texas recruits could come visit easier, and it would be fun to see Roy on the sideline, that is, if he happens to be in town on that particular weekend.

soonernation
12/1/2006, 11:05 AM

Only in numbers.

GrapevineSooner
12/1/2006, 11:06 AM
If we would have won the South last year...

And I definitely think Jerriah's new stadium will be a player in this deal come 2009.

SoonerInKCMO
12/1/2006, 11:07 AM

Yep, half the schools are even with or north of KC and half are south.

I don't know why people are complaining all the time; it's not going to be that cold.

sendbaht
12/1/2006, 11:09 AM
For sure...a football game in Dec. in Kansas outside...There has to be a better place at least for the fans to enjoy.

ouwasp
12/1/2006, 11:22 AM
Sure, dollars are all that matter to the Big 12 powers that be. Otherwise they wooul have at least told ABC it had to be an afternoon kickoff. But no...

What a bunch of brain surgeons our Big 12 bigshots are. At least they haven't trotted out the idea of a CCG in Denver in a couple of yrs...:mad:

For some reason ($$$) they sure do have an orgasm over the prospect of playing in Arrowhead at night. :confused: Idiots...

KC//CRIMSON
12/1/2006, 11:25 AM
Because Arrowhead knows how to rock a Big 12 Championship!

H&P
12/1/2006, 11:26 AM
Bingo. Tailgating will be incredible there.

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 11:29 AM
Football is meant to be played outdoors in the cold. Basketball is the indoor sport.

mrowl
12/1/2006, 11:30 AM

not when there are 10,000 empty seats like usual.

KC//CRIMSON
12/1/2006, 11:32 AM
not when there are 10,000 empty seats like usual.

So that means 70,000 are filled. And that's only because it was Colorado.:D

ouwasp
12/1/2006, 11:32 AM
Football is meant to be played outdoors in the cold. Basketball is the indoor sport.

So when will the NFL ever get around to scheduling the Super Bowl to be held in, say, Philadelphia, in January?

Don't hold your breath on that one.

SoonerInKCMO
12/1/2006, 11:33 AM
For sure...a football game in Dec. in Kansas outside...There has to be a better place at least for the fans to enjoy.

Missouri. Not Kansas.

People play and watch football in much worse weather than this all the time. Y'all ever heard of a place called 'Green Bay'? :rolleyes:

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 11:34 AM
So when will the NFL ever get around to scheduling the Super Bowl to be held in, say, Philadelphia, in January?

Don't hold your breath on that one.
The let Green Bay host their playoff games in January don't they? This bitching about Cold Weather is more evidence of the sissyfication of American Society. Slap on some coveralls and stocking cap and quit bitching and enjoy some football.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/1/2006, 11:48 AM

St. Louis is in Missouri

St. Louis = Dome

H&P
12/1/2006, 11:49 AM
St. Louis is in Missouri

St. Louis = Dome

Travel to St Louis would be a lot worse than travel to KC today....

OU James
12/1/2006, 12:00 PM
I say Denver, but for complete selfish reasons. and I think no matter where you have it, it just depends who's playing in it, whether it will sell or not. But the Big 12 could buck all trends and just play it in Vegas, that would solve everything.

sooneron
12/1/2006, 12:06 PM
The let Green Bay host their playoff games in January don't they? This bitching about Cold Weather is more evidence of the sissyfication of American Society. Slap on some coveralls and stocking cap and quit bitching and enjoy some football.
Easy for you to say, all your bugeater women show up with an extra "layer" on campus.:D

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 12:11 PM
Easy for you to say, all your bugeater women show up with an extra "layer" on campus.:D
more cushion y'know

CORNholio
12/1/2006, 01:37 PM
AlamoDome!!!!!!!!
No ice storms in SanAntone this time of year.

Why can't they play at the home stadium of the team with the best record? Most of the time that would be Norman, Austin, College Station, or Lincoln. All nice stadiums, Norman's weather a little unpredictable but Austin and College Station very nice. North teams rarely have the better record so we would only have to go there maybe once a decade.

TheUnnamedSooner
12/1/2006, 01:39 PM
wasn't it played in Houston the last couple years? Anyway, it doesn't matter where's it's played. It's football, part of the game!

JiuJitsuSooner
12/1/2006, 01:45 PM
you must not be a season ticket holder for the chiefs...

no really, i'd like to see a game like played somewhere else, but i'm so freakin pumped up that we are in the championship now, so i can't complain, even if we had to play the game in alaska. we are fortunate!!

GrapevineSooner
12/1/2006, 01:45 PM
1996 - San Antonio
1997 - St. Louis
1998 - San Antonio
1999 - St. Louis
2000 - Kansas City
2001 - Dallas
2002 - Houston
2003 - Kansas City
2004 - Kansas City
2005 - Houston
2006 - Kansas City

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 02:02 PM
the bad thing about KC is that is is so much closer to all the north schools (except maybe colorado.) The south has proven we can win in the north, why not make the north prove they can win in the south? Let the game be played in Houston or San Antonio for god's sake. If Oklahoma and Uterus have to drive all the way to KC to kick some crappy north team in the teeth, then I think that they can make the drive down here!

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 02:15 PM
1996 - San Antonio
1997 - St. Louis
1998 - San Antonio
1999 - St. Louis
2000 - Kansas City
2001 - Dallas
2002 - Houston
2003 - Kansas City
2004 - Kansas City
2005 - Houston
2006 - Kansas City
I think you have the St. Louis's and San Antonio's backwards. 1996 was St. Louis and 1997 and 1999 were in the Alamodome

OK2LA
12/1/2006, 02:18 PM
1996 - San Antonio
1997 - St. Louis
1998 - San Antonio
1999 - St. Louis
2000 - Kansas City
2001 - Dallas
2002 - Houston
2003 - Kansas City
2004 - Kansas City
2005 - Houston
2006 - Kansas City

looks like 5 yrs in the north, & 5 in the south to me.

Readyfor8
12/1/2006, 02:19 PM
From now on the Big XII Championship should be played on the home field of the team with the best conference record. Barring equal records the team with the head to head win. Barring the teams did not play the team with the best overall record should host.

Seriously though, this is supposed to be a reward game for teams that win conference. It's not much of a reward when you have to suit up like the Michelin man to roll around on the frozen tundra for 4 hours. Besides that nature should never decide a Championship on any level of play. Part of the game you say?

Neutral field doesn't just mean fans, it means no advantage one way or the other and that includes nature.

FaninAma
12/1/2006, 02:20 PM
When I lived in Nebraska there was a radio station that had a contest promotion where the first prize was an all expenses paid weekend to KC. 2nd prize was 2 all-expense paid weekends in KC and 3rd prize was a week long all-expenses paid trip to KC in December.

RRWSooner
12/1/2006, 02:25 PM
I watched OU spank Colorado in the 2002 ccg here at Houston's Reliant Stadium. Absolutely the best stadium and atmosphere. I bought my tickets from a horn fan (he he) at a discounted price.:)

I would absolutely love it if they brought the ccg back to Houston every year.:D

CORNholio
12/1/2006, 02:28 PM
OKC should build a dome....Hell we're the geographic center of the conference. And half the time OU plays in the game anyway. Sure OKC may not be as big or fun as KC or Dallas but who the hell cares. Build something like the AlamoDome and we can stay home every December....
KansasCity=Canada

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 02:32 PM
From now on the Big XII Championship should be played on the home field of the team with the best conference record. Barring equal records the team with the head to head win. Barring the teams did not play the team with the best overall record should host.

Seriously though, this is supposed to be a reward game for teams that win conference. It's not much of a reward when you have to suit up like the Michelin man to roll around on the frozen tundra for 4 hours. Besides that nature should never decide a Championship on any level of play. Part of the game you say?

Neutral field doesn't just mean fans, it means no advantage one way or the other and that includes nature.
If the weather can influence the games determining who gets to play in the Championship game, why can't it influence the championship game?

Readyfor8
12/1/2006, 02:47 PM
If the weather can influence the games determining who gets to play in the Championship game, why can't it influence the championship game?

Because the regular season games aren't played on a neutral field in most instances.

Meanwhile Green Bay hasn't lost a home playoff game in how long? It makes a difference and don't pretend it doesn't.

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 02:52 PM
Because the regular season games aren't played on a neutral field in most instances.

Meanwhile Green Bay hasn't lost a home playoff game in how long? It makes a difference and don't pretend it doesn't.
They got beat by the Falcons at home a couple years back. Both teams are playing in the weather. It's football, not some anti-septic experiment.

Readyfor8
12/1/2006, 02:57 PM
They got beat by the Falcons at home a couple years back. Both teams are playing in the weather. It's football, not some anti-septic experiment.

And before that they had NEVER been beaten at home during a playoff game 13-0 since 1933. Even a Husker can understand that. Are you really saying cold weather doesn't have an effect on football games?

CORNholio
12/1/2006, 03:01 PM
Maybe they should play in Green Bay. It might be a little warmer there.

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 03:02 PM
And before that they had NEVER been beaten at home during a playoff game 13-0 since 1933. Even a Husker can understand that. Are you really saying cold weather doesn't have an effect on football games?
Not unless your team is fully of Sally's. I doubt OU is full of Sally's, and you are power running team. You guys are built for the cold. You have the advantage. It isn't going to be that cold either.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah, but the field is going to crumble under our running backs feet. Last time we played there no one could get any traction at all

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah, but the field is going to crumble under our running backs feet. Last time we played there no one could get any traction at all
NU will be running on the same field. Quite possibly in the same shoes. It sounds like you guys are trying to get a jump start on excuse making. Have some faith in your team for ****'s sake

Readyfor8
12/1/2006, 03:13 PM
NU will be running on the same field. Quite possibly in the same shoes. It sounds like you guys are trying to get a jump start on excuse making. Have some faith in your team for ****'s sake

There is no talking to some people, hope you bought into the throat slash and assault spin your HC put up. Now you talk about us making excuse well I've had it up to here with you and your supposedly respected program.

You lost any respectability you ever had when that NU player cold cocked a fan on Missouri's field. You deserve your rank as whipping boy to the South Division.

bearcat_sooner
12/1/2006, 03:16 PM
Travel to St Louis would be a lot worse than travel to KC today....

St. Louis = The Succ

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 03:17 PM
Not unless your team is fully of Sally's. I doubt OU is full of Sally's, and you are power running team. You guys are built for the cold. You have the advantage. It isn't going to be that cold either.

I was pointing out that a running attack isn't going to give us the advantage that you thought it would, but hey go ahead and be a jack *** :D

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 03:18 PM
There is no talking to some people, hope you bought into the throat slash and assault spin your HC put up. Now you talk about us making excuse well I've had it up to here with you and your supposedly respected program.

You lost any respectability you ever had when that NU player cold cocked a fan on Missouri's field. You deserve your rank as whipping boy to the South Division.
All the complaining about weather sounds like excuse making to me. I've been nothing but complementary of your players and program. But hell, if you want to attack me for being complementary of your players and program, so be it.

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 03:19 PM
I was pointing out that a running attack isn't going to give us the advantage that you thought it would, but hey go ahead and be a jack *** :D
If people are slipping, throwing ball isn't going to be much more better because all the cutting. Running straight ahead shouldn't be a problem.

SleestakSooner
12/1/2006, 03:21 PM
FFS... you know, maybe hosting the CCG in Wisconson would be a great idea, then these people could easily get a hunk of cheese to go with all this whining!

Be glad OU is in the game, but if you are too scared of a few snow flakes or cold weather, stay your *** at home and watch it on TV!

Readyfor8
12/1/2006, 03:21 PM
All the complaining about weather sounds like excuse making to me. I've been nothing but complementary of your players and program. But hell, if you want to attack me for being complementary of your players and program, so be it.

I'm going to attack you for saying we are making excuses when I am the one saying its a disadvantage and you are saying it isn't. If you really believe that you are a bigger idiot than I gave you credit for.

I am also saying that if you coach is going to make excuses like "had it up to here" and "they were throwing fruit at my players" then you have no room to point the finger at anyone.

Blitzkrieg
12/1/2006, 03:22 PM
Arrowhead is awesome. Larry Johnson has no trouble running over NFL defenses every home game on that turf.

Houston sucks.

CORNholio
12/1/2006, 03:23 PM
Fat people don't get cold.
KC=fat chicks.......just saying.
Lets play it in South Padre.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 03:27 PM
Arrowhead is awesome. Larry Johnson has no trouble running over NFL defenses every home game.

Houston sucks.

That is because the grounds crew cares about the Chiefs. KC wants OUr ticket money without having to do any thing to the field. That is my main beef with KC, other than the fact that it is one of the trashiest cities we could play at. I don't care about the cold, I hate the fact that the field is always in such bad shape for the CCG. Houston, St. Louis, San Antonio all had good playing surfaces (fake, but at least not falling apart)

royalfan5
12/1/2006, 03:29 PM
I'm going to attack you for saying we are making excuses when I am the one saying its a disadvantage and you are saying it isn't. If you really believe that you are a bigger idiot than I gave you credit for.

I am also saying that if you coach is going to make excuses like "had it up to here" and "they were throwing fruit at my players" then you have no room to point the finger at anyone.
Hey, Do you think I am Bill Callahan or something? Do you think my opinions have some relationship to his actions? Both teams play in the same weather. OU has had as many cold weather games as NU has this year. OU won theirs. NU didn't. Suddenly, this is a huge disadvantage for OU? OU will be more used to the snow than NU. We haven't got any snow this year. OU has the advantage of getting to practice in it. NU doesn't own a snow machine. I think you are wildly overestimating the weather factor in this game. OU has an advantage in all phases of the game. The weather isn't going to slow the Sooner's down any more than NU. Complaining about the weather(especially ahead of time) is nothing but sour grapes.

1stTimeCaller
12/1/2006, 03:33 PM
as long as the field is 53 yards 1 foot wide, 100 yards long and has 10 yard endzones at each end WTF does it matter? Both teams have to play on the same field.

*edit* Readyfor8, watch who you're calling an idiot. He helps pay for this board. Be nice, no name calling.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 03:38 PM
as long as the field is 53 yards 1 foot wide, 100 yards long and has 10 yard endzones at each end WTF does it matter? Both teams have to play on the same field.

I am not saying it gives one team an edge over another team, but damn THE FIELD ALWAYS SUCKS ***! WHY MUST WE PLAY AT A VENUE THAT DOESN'T GIVE A RAT'S *** ABOUT US? Why play a game in a place were neither team will be able to stay on their feet. That is my main complaint about KC. They don't do anything to the turf between Chiefs home games, and we are playing between Chiefs home games.

OKC-SLC
12/1/2006, 03:46 PM
kansas city is a big 8 city. not houston, not dallas, not san antonio, not st louis.

if you're cold, bring a sweater.

49r
12/1/2006, 04:01 PM
I'm pretty sure there are a number of UTexas fans that would think playing in Arrowhead this weekend pretty much kicks a5s over what ever alternative they have been given.

Gift horse...mouth...

...some of y'all are lookin' right into it.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 04:06 PM
.....I give up, let's have the CCG at that craptastic field in that craptastic city every damn year! Why, saying that it makes to sense to play a game on a ****-poor field in the ****ing freezing *** cold is like saying that we wish we didn't have the chance to play for the Big XII championship. So everyone stop questioning the thinking that put the Big XII CCG on a ****ty field in the north during the middle of winter! We are all being totally ungrateful questioning the location of the game.

49r
12/1/2006, 04:10 PM
.....I give up, let's have the CCG at that craptastic field in that craptastic city every damn year! Why, saying that it makes to sense to play a game on a ****-poor field in the ****ing freezing *** cold is like saying that we wish we didn't have the chance to play for the Big XII championship. So everyone stop questioning the thinking that put the Big XII CCG on a ****ty field in the north during the middle of winter! We are all being totally ungrateful questioning the location of the game.

I'd say that's pretty much it in a nutshell right there.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 04:10 PM
I LOVE KANSAS CITY, OH YEAH KANSAS CITY.

ric311
12/1/2006, 04:17 PM
The original question was "Why Arrowhead?" The answer is that neither St. Louis nor Denver would pony up the stoopid money that KC would to get the game.

BTW - it's 50 degrees and sunny here in Denver today. Perfect football weather.

85sooners
12/1/2006, 04:19 PM
denver denver!!!!!!!!!!

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 04:22 PM
STOP IT GUYS! You need to be happy that the game is in KC! Otherwise you hate OU, and therefore must also hate America.

mrowl
12/1/2006, 04:23 PM
IMO, they should pick 2 spots and rotate them.

I am not that thrilled with KC, but fine as a rotation, not every 3 outta 4 years.

2007 Houston
2008 KC
2009 Dallas
2010 KC
2011 Dallas, etc.....

Dallas and KC only.

85sooners
12/1/2006, 04:24 PM
tulsa tulsa!!!!!!!!!

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 04:31 PM
Guys, I can't believe that you continue to complain about how the game is in a ****ty place! Come on, why do you hate America?

SoonerInKCMO
12/1/2006, 04:37 PM
Good lord I don't think I've ever seen a bigger collection of whiny-***, titty-baby ******rockets in all my life.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 04:42 PM
Good lord I don't think I've ever seen a bigger collection of whiny-***, titty-baby ******rockets in all my life.

Stop ****ing whining about the whining! Ah hell, now I am whining about you whining about the whining. **** now I am whining about my whining about you whining about all the whining. ****!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1691812#post1691812

FaninAma
12/1/2006, 04:53 PM
I know that Kansas City is one of the top places to visit in December. Kind of like visiting Gotebo, Ok during calf nut cutting season.

I like the idea of building a stadium in Corpus Christi or Brownsville just to have the CCG every year. :D

bearcat_sooner
12/1/2006, 04:56 PM
That is because the grounds crew cares about the Chiefs. KC wants OUr ticket money without having to do any thing to the field. That is my main beef with KC, other than the fact that it is one of the trashiest cities we could play at. I don't care about the cold, I hate the fact that the field is always in such bad shape for the CCG. Houston, St. Louis, San Antonio all had good playing surfaces (fake, but at least not falling apart)

Ummm........nope. KC is actually one of the cleaner big cities you'll EVER go to. Now Houston is one dirty city. St. Louis is a dirty city. Dallas and San Antone I can't comment on as I've only been through them and never visited. You would be wrong about the Chiefs not wanting the field to be in shape.......Balti-mer comes in next Sunday.

KC//CRIMSON
12/1/2006, 04:58 PM

Damn straight. Do you feel weather or do you feel football!

85sooners
12/1/2006, 04:58 PM
it should be at a different big 12 stadium each year

H&P
12/1/2006, 04:59 PM
Ummm........nope. KC is actually one of the cleaner big cities you'll EVER go to. Now Houston is one dirty city. St. Louis is a dirty city. Dallas and San Antone I can't comment on as I've only been through them and never visited. You would be wrong about the Chiefs not wanting the field to be in shape.......Balti-mer comes in next Sunday.

I believe the middle of the field was resodded in the last week or two as well. The field also would surely have been covered during the snow.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 05:01 PM

Yeah, next sunday, that means there is no game THIS week so they see no need to maintain the field for a lowly CCG. I am sure that the chiefs wouldn't want to play on the field when it is in the shape that it is in when the Big XII plays up there. And I must have been in the wrong part of KC (the part with the stadiums) because it seemed like a **** hole.

Oh, I mean

I LOVE KANSAS CITY, OH YEAH KANSAS CITY!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/1/2006, 05:15 PM
IMO, they should pick 2 spots and rotate them.

I am not that thrilled with KC, but fine as a rotation, not every 3 outta 4 years.

2007 Houston
2008 KC
2009 Dallas
2010 KC
2011 Dallas, etc.....

Dallas and KC only.

Why do you hat Houston?? Dallas = SUCC!:D

bearcat_sooner
12/1/2006, 05:35 PM
The original question was "Why Arrowhead?" The answer is that neither St. Louis nor Denver would pony up the stoopid money that KC would to get the game.

BTW - it's 50 degrees and sunny here in Denver today. Perfect football weather.

That and St. Louis (the people) won't support it like most any other Big XII city will. St. Louis wants to be Chicago so bad it kills them. Unless Mizzou is playing Kansas in (insert sport), they could care less about the rest of the conference. My disdain for that town knows no bounds..........in case you can't tell. Denver doesn't support college athletics in general.

49r
12/1/2006, 05:36 PM
Yeah, next sunday, that means there is no game THIS week so they see no need to maintain the field for a lowly CCG. I am sure that the chiefs wouldn't want to play on the field when it is in the shape that it is in when the Big XII plays up there. And I must have been in the wrong part of KC (the part with the stadiums) because it seemed like a **** hole.

Oh, I mean

I LOVE KANSAS CITY, OH YEAH KANSAS CITY!

How much maintenance needs to be done from week to week to meet your standards?

Re-sodding the field two weeks before the Big XII championship isn't good enough for you?

I'll be willing to bet someone will manage to get the yard markers painted on before the game tomorrow...

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 05:51 PM
How much maintenance needs to be done from week to week to meet your standards?

Re-sodding the field two weeks before the Big XII championship isn't good enough for you?

I'll be willing to bet someone will manage to get the yard markers painted on before the game tomorrow...

Well hooray for them if they did re-sod the field. I just remember the last CCG played up there Ok. It looked like ****, I remember playing KU up there last year, it looked like ****. What need to be done for it to meet my standards? How about it be in better condition than the field I played on back in Mustang? All I am saying is that every time I have seen a non-nfl game played there the field looked ****ty.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 05:53 PM
To save you time:

Both team play on the same field!

ric311
12/1/2006, 06:10 PM
Denver doesn't support college athletics in general.

Entirely incorrect. How many people do you think actually live in the city of Boulder or Ft. Collins? Boulder has about 100,000. Fart Collins about 150,000. They get 45-55,000 people into the stadium in Boulder every week. Where do you think those people come from? Denver mostly.

Invesco hosts the CU/CSU game every year and it's sold out. Understand that it's two local teams, but it sells out just the same.

Granted there are four professional franchises (plus soccer & arena football) in Denver that take away a lot of attention from the college game. But folks in Denver would definitely support that game.

I would love to see the title game played in Denver. But it isn't going to happen. Pat Bowlen gets his panties in a wad over the idea of the CU/CSU game as it is. He'd probably soil himself if they used Invesco for the B12 CG. That, and the aformentioned reluctance to actually pay for the priveledge of hosting the game, makes the idea DOA.

bluedogok
12/1/2006, 07:38 PM
I like Arrowhead and I like KC, if I still lived in OKC I would have Chiefs season tickets since I don't have OU season tickets. I use my dads tix for a game a year, this year was the Tech game since my wife is a Tech grad. Last year the only OU game that I went to was the OU-KU game at Arrowhead and we went to the Chiefs-Skins game the next day. KC is a nice place, a bit colder but then I hate having summer down here from March to October. But I do wish they would rotate the game around some more instead of it being in KC two year in a row and then Houston for one year. I am not a fan of Houston, I prefer Dallas but I would travel to either to see a CCG. My dad and I considered going to KC for this game, but we are both getting over colds and he does not handle the cold as well as he used to so we will just watch it and see about the bowl game.

I think something like this would work well:
KC - Arrowhead
Houston - Reliant
Denver - Mile High
Dallas - Jerry World
St. Louis - Ed Jones Dome
San Antonio - Alamodome
Rinse - Repeat

SoonerSloan
12/1/2006, 07:40 PM
i think its the simple fact that they know south teams fans are willing to travel farther to watch their teams beat north teams, while north teams fans arent going to travel that far to see their teams get trounced by the superior south division...:D

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 07:48 PM
i think its the simple fact that they know south teams fans are willing to travel farther to watch their teams beat north teams, while north teams fans arent going to travel that far to see their teams get trounced by the superior south division...:D

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

Blues1
12/1/2006, 07:49 PM
Why Not Norman in the mix.....isn't 83,000 Seats enough.....??
Lots of rooms In Oklahoma City - plus Norman

And why KC two years in a row...??

Still R'

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/1/2006, 07:56 PM
Why not reward the prior year's conference champion..say let's pick 4 locations... Denver, Kansas City, Houston, Dallas. Now let's say OU wins the Big 12 championship...they choose Dallas, Nebraska wins, they choose Denver or KC.

royalfan5
12/2/2006, 02:20 AM
i think its the simple fact that they know south teams fans are willing to travel farther to watch their teams beat north teams, while north teams fans that aren't Nebraska arent going to travel that far to see their teams get trounced by the superior south division...:D
fixed

ouwasp
12/2/2006, 02:25 AM
lol royal fan.......

I hope we beat the Huskers back to the Stone Age... and that you have a safe trip home.......

shavedmarmoset
12/2/2006, 03:20 AM
I think a rotation is the answer.

Texas Golfer
12/2/2006, 09:37 AM
Yep, half the schools are even with or north of KC and half are south.

I don't know why people are complaining all the time; it's not going to be that cold.

But the half north of KC are not that far from KC. The ones south have a greater distance to travel. It's almost like a home game for the North and it damn near was when KSU beat us.

Texas Golfer
12/2/2006, 09:52 AM

Unfortunately, with the close proximity to NU, them knowing well in advance that they'd be there, and the weather conditions, it's almost like a home game for them. From what I understand the NU fans will outnumber the OU fans 7-1.

1stTimeCaller
12/2/2006, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, with the close proximity to NU, them knowing well in advance that they'd be there, and the weather conditions, it's almost like a home game for them. From what I understand the NU fans will outnumber the OU fans 7-1.

In other news, the on-field ratio of OU palyers to NU players will be pretty close to 1:1 if not right at 1:1, according to my sources.

royalfan5
12/2/2006, 10:18 AM
In other news, the on-field ratio of OU palyers to NU players will be pretty close to 1:1 if not right at 1:1, according to my sources.
John Blake is on our staff, so you never know about that.

Texas Golfer
12/2/2006, 10:22 AM

If fans in attendance is not important, why is there so much criticism for those not risking the elements to make the trip?

1stTimeCaller
12/2/2006, 10:25 AM
You'd have to ask one of those people.

Does the crowd matter? Sure. Is it that big of a deal? No.

KC//CRIMSON
12/2/2006, 10:26 AM
Yep, it sucks.:rolleyes:

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics8/380/XE/XEAQQEGWIMURCSJ.20061127203539.jpg

opksooner
12/2/2006, 10:42 AM
Maybe that's why the game is played in MISSOURI

[/geography police]

Sooner_Havok
12/2/2006, 02:10 PM
You'd have to ask one of those people.

Does the crowd matter? Sure. Is it that big of a deal? No.

Ok, so now home field advantage is not a big deal. Man, you learn something new everyday. See, I always thought that when one team had a much larger preponderance of fans than the other it gave them some sort of advantage. Someone needs to call Joey C. and tell him not to worry about scheduling anymore home games. But you know, I totally see how having a 4-1 advantage in fans at a stadium is no real advantage, I mean both teams do play in front of the same fans :rolleyes:

1stTimeCaller
12/2/2006, 02:22 PM
wow, you are really stretching things. Neither team is in their home stadium. You do realize that don't you? You see, Kansas City is not home to any Big XII Universities.
The University of Nebraska is in Lincoln, Nebraska and the University of Oklahoma is in Norman, OK.

Try www.mapquest.com if you're still confused.

Readyfor8
12/2/2006, 02:32 PM
There is a reason ESPN radio is saying that it must really suck to play a championship game on an uncovered field in the middle of winter. It's probably because they hate America..

1stTimeCaller
12/2/2006, 02:35 PM
Readyfor8, I don't think anyone is arguing that Arrowhead is the best choice. I think folks are just pointing out that the incessant whining about the weather is silly.

find Beano's post. he hit the nail on the head.

Sooner_Havok
12/2/2006, 02:50 PM
wow, you are really stretching things. Neither team is in their home stadium. You do realize that don't you? You see, Kansas City is not home to any Big XII Universities.
The University of Nebraska is in Lincoln, Nebraska and the University of Oklahoma is in Norman, OK.

Try www.mapquest.com if you're still confused.

How funny, are you a comedian by trade, cause I just can't stop laughing. See, I was under the impression that you didn't have to be in your home stadium to have a 5-1 fan advantage. I guess they stop letting fans in when it looks like their team may be getting an advantage right? So which one of us is confused here? The one that sees having a 5-1 advantage in fans is an advantage or the one who thinks that just because the game is played on a neutral field the larger preponderance will not be as loud since they are not in their home stadium?

Blues1
12/2/2006, 02:56 PM
Lets all get on the Same Page --- We are the team with the Crimson color jerseys ....................... :)

Rockin' ---------- :)

Readyfor8
12/2/2006, 03:04 PM
Readyfor8, I don't think anyone is arguing that Arrowhead is the best choice. I think folks are just pointing out that the incessant whining about the weather is silly.

find Beano's post. he hit the nail on the head.

I hear you, however arrowhead in the winter is still a stupid choice. I'm happy that we made the BigXII championship, but it's still silly that we are rewarded by playing in a game where we will be at a disadvantage because of mother nature.

Calling it whining is dismissive and does nothing to add to the conversation.

Meanwhile I am a stand-up comedian, and if you would like to see me in action come to the Loonybin Wednesday in OKC.

1stTimeCaller
12/2/2006, 03:18 PM
How funny, are you a comedian by trade, cause I just can't stop laughing. See, I was under the impression that you didn't have to be in your home stadium to have a 5-1 fan advantage. I guess they stop letting fans in when it looks like their team may be getting an advantage right? So which one of us is confused here? The one that sees having a 5-1 advantage in fans is an advantage or the one who thinks that just because the game is played on a neutral field the larger preponderance will not be as loud since they are not in their home stadium?

OK, how many points is the crowd worth? How many missed blocks or tackles will it cause? How many incomplete passes will it cause? How many fumbles will it cause?

If you'll re-read my post I say that the crowd does matter just not that much. The crowd will not determine the outcome of the game. That's all I'm saying.

1stTimeCaller
12/2/2006, 03:19 PM
I hear you, however arrowhead in the winter is still a stupid choice. I'm happy that we made the BigXII championship, but it's still silly that we are rewarded by playing in a game where we will be at a disadvantage because of mother nature.

Meanwhile I am a stand-up comedian, and if you would like to see me in action come to the Loonybin Wednesday in OKC.

I hear ya.

Hey if I show up you're not gonna go all Michael Richards on me are ya? ;)

GimmeRed
12/2/2006, 03:21 PM

I Don't get this. How is it going to be any colder for OU then NU? It really sounds to me that you lining up excuses for when you lose.

opksooner
12/2/2006, 03:22 PM
I have in the past defended playing the CCG at Arrowhead. It's a great stadium and the games there are well supported. If rotation between north and south venues is the conference aim then Arrowhead is the only viable venue for the north.

BUT........playing in KC the first week in December is chancy enough. Why compound it by playing at night, thereby giving up 10 to 20 degrees of temperature and almost insuring a miserable experience for the players and fans.....of both teams.

I sure as hell don't see the NFL running to set up a SuperBowl at the NFC home venue of the Green Bay Packers in January.

We will win tonight. In spite of the Big XII decision makers.

f 'em

Scott D
12/2/2006, 03:36 PM
But the half north of KC are not that far from KC. The ones south have a greater distance to travel. It's almost like a home game for the North and it damn near was when KSU beat us.

I'd like your explanation of how it's an advantage for the North in the years when the game is held in Dallas or Houston....Thanks.

I seem to remember it being a relatively cold night in KC when some Freshman running back named Adrian Peterson carved up Barney's Bevvy of Buffalos in 2004. Too many people are making mountains out of molehills over the weather and road conditions.

Readyfor8
12/2/2006, 03:37 PM
I Don't get this. How is it going to be any colder for OU then NU? It really sounds to me that you lining up excuses for when you lose.

It's not an excuse, but it does play to Nebraska's advantage considering OU players haven't played in snow and NU players have. It does play into Nebraska's advantage when their fans are used to sitting in cold stands and OU's fans aren't.

Big advantage? No I wouldn't say that. An excuse if we lose? Deffinatly not. But a positive in Nebraska's favor? For Sure...

As for Micheal Richards, with every comedian I have talked to there seems to be one consensus.

Did the heckler deserve to get called out? Absolutely... Did Richards go to far? Absolutely... If it wasn't Micheal Richards would it have gotten press? Nope... The crowd was still enjoying itself, and I have no idea how he turned a fork into a racial epithet. The man is a genius :D

GottaHavePride
12/2/2006, 03:43 PM
OMG, all you people!

http://www.beerorkid.com/Funny/2005-07-31/bunny%20sad.jpg

Gah.

GimmeRed
12/2/2006, 03:46 PM
It's not an excuse, but it does play to Nebraska's advantage considering OU players haven't played in snow and NU players have. It does play into Nebraska's advantage when their fans are used to sitting in cold stands and OU's fans aren't.

Big advantage? No I wouldn't say that. An excuse if we lose? Deffinatly not. But a positive in Nebraska's favor? For Sure...

As for Micheal Richards, with every comedian I have talked to there seems to be one consensus.

Did the heckler deserve to get called out? Absolutely... Did Richards go to far? Absolutely... If it wasn't Micheal Richards would it have gotten press? Nope... The crowd was still enjoying itself, and I have no idea how he turned a fork into a racial epithet. The man is a genius :D
Nebraska has only played in one game this year that was close to freezing and that was a loss to Texas. It was colder in Norman this week then Lincoln. Nebraska must pass the ball tonight to win, OU will try to pound the rock. I'm not sure how this favors the Huskers.

GimmeRed
12/2/2006, 03:52 PM
OMG, all you people!

http://www.beerorkid.com/Funny/2005-07-31/bunny%20sad.jpg

Gah.
LOL
I like bunny!

sanantoniosooner
12/2/2006, 04:07 PM
Only a few weeks ago we were whining about not getting our shot.

Now we are whining about where we are playing and who we might get to play in the bowl game.

I may have to dumpster dive and see what some of you bitched about after we won it all.

"Heupel deserved the Heisman"

"We should have played Miami"

"Why did we give up a safety"

Mothers In Law.

Every.

One.

of YOU.

Sooner_Havok
12/2/2006, 04:20 PM
OK, how many points is the crowd worth? How many missed blocks or tackles will it cause? How many incomplete passes will it cause? How many fumbles will it cause?

If you'll re-read my post I say that the crowd does matter just not that much. The crowd will not determine the outcome of the game. That's all I'm saying.

How many delay of games will it cause? How many false starts will it cause? Odds makers usually say around 3 points for home field. Nebraska will have a comparable crowd to one of their home games. Look, I am not making excuses, I am just stating facts. Is KC cold in winter? Yes. Is Nebraska bringing more fans than us? Yes. Can we still win? Hell Yes! I am thrilled to death that we are in the CCG, but I have always had a problem with it being in KC. Not on the fact that I have to sit out in the cold, hell I kind of like cold games. Football seems better below zero. But this is a reward game for the teams.

Sooner_Havok
12/2/2006, 04:22 PM
Only a few weeks ago we were whining about not getting our shot.

Now we are whining about where we are playing and who we might get to play in the bowl game.

I may have to dumpster dive and see what some of you bitched about after we won it all.

"Heupel deserved the Heisman"

"We should have played Miami"

"Why did we give up a safety"

Mothers In Law.

Every.

One.

of YOU.

I bet there were people whining about whiners too :D

Sooner_Bob
12/2/2006, 04:32 PM

Calling it whining is pretty much what it is . . . isn't it? :confused:

Sooner_Bob
12/2/2006, 04:36 PM
Is it possible to give a thread negative 5 stars?

Sooner_Havok
12/2/2006, 04:37 PM
Calling it whining is pretty much what it is . . . isn't it? :confused:

Walks like a duck, Talks like a duck? :D

Sooner_Havok
12/2/2006, 04:47 PM
Is it possible to give a thread negative 5 stars?

No, but it is always good to have dreams

kbsooner
12/2/2006, 05:05 PM
This thread reminded me of the old video with Stacey King, T Mullins etc. singing "We're Going to Kansas City" Good times the late eighties were. I looked for the vid of that on youtube, didn't find it, but found this nugget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XLPbYSdwdU

I'm bored, I wish I could fast forward to 7pm.

Chuck Bao
12/2/2006, 05:15 PM
Call me a whiner if you like. The weather does typicaly suck in Kansas City in December and for a night game. And weather, as we've seen this year, could affect traveling plans by fans.

Location is all about fans and not the two teams that have to play on the same field, as has been mentioned numerous times on this theard alread.

My main beef, however, is that I don't agree that Kansas City Chiefs season ticket holders should get an early chance at the tics, or at least a significant portion of them.

The Kansas City Chiefs organization benefits the Big XII conference exactly how?

The Big XII conference should be better at negotiating.

Host cities already benefit through spending of traveling fans. They're actually crazy to promote local ticket buyers. So, who owns Arrowhead Stadium? the city of Kansas City or the Kansas City Chiefs?

I'm curious if Houston Texan season ticket holders get the same offer when the game is played at Reliant. And, if they do, more is the pity.

I do realize that previous championship games haven't been a sell-out and those who bought at face value probably didn't get their money back by selling them on ebay or outside the stadium.

That's clearly a problem created by the Big XII conference management. How many of the major BIG XII teams sell out all of their home games?

When is the last time OU failed to use all of its bowl game allocation? And, we will be outnumbered in this one 5 or 6 to 1?

I'd rather see all Big XII schools get an early allotment of championship game tics and open to purchases based on their own criteria, whether season ticket holders or open subscription.

opksooner
12/2/2006, 05:55 PM
Host cities already benefit through spending of traveling fans. They're actually crazy to promote local ticket buyers. So, who owns Arrowhead Stadium? the city of Kansas City or the Kansas City Chiefs?
Neither. Jackson County owns the stadium but the Cheaps call all the shots, ticket prices, parking, concessions, etc. Allocation of tix to the CCG is a perk they give to the season tix holders.

The Cheaps do know how to extract the bucks from the public. The county, under the implied threat of a team move, recently passed a tax to upgrade facilities at Arrowhead. Only then did the Cheaps sign a new longterm lease.

Still, all things considered, Arrowhead is one of the finest venues in the NFL.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/2/2006, 06:02 PM
To be fair, since Callahan(and Blake) is Nebraska's coach, we should probably be playing in Lincoln if we want things to be fair

Chuck Bao
12/2/2006, 06:09 PM
Still, all things considered, Arrowhead is one of the finest venues in the NFL.

So, this is the point? It is so much better than college facilities?

Okay.

If the county owns the stadium, shouldn't they still think about local hotels and merchants and try to get more traveling fans instead of tying tixs to season holders?

SleestakSooner
12/2/2006, 06:42 PM
The only problem I have is with airing the west coast games in the early afternoon slots here and making the Big XII CCG wait to start until 7 pm.

Why couldn't USuC and UCLA wait until 5 pm their time to start and let us play in day light and warmer temps?

Blues1
12/2/2006, 06:45 PM
The only problem I have is with airing the west coast games in the early afternoon slots here and making the Big XII CCG wait to start until 7 pm.

Why couldn't USuC and UCLA wait until 5 pm their time to start and let us play in day light and warmer temps?

ABC --- Controls ..... they are the bad guys...

opksooner
12/2/2006, 07:40 PM
So, this is the point? It is so much better than college facilities?

Okay.

If the county owns the stadium, shouldn't they still think about local hotels and merchants and try to get more traveling fans instead of tying tixs to season holders?
Distribution of tix to season holders is controlled by the Chiefs, not Jackson County.

Actually, they give the season ticket holders the first option on buying the tix. Many do not exercise this option and the tix go on the open market.

Chuck Bao
12/2/2006, 08:04 PM
Distribution of tix to season holders is controlled by the Chiefs, not Jackson County.

Actually, they give the season ticket holders the first option on buying the tix. Many do not exercise this option and the tix go on the open market.

So, this benefits the Big XII how? It's all about negotiating for money. What part of that money helps the Big XII?

bluedogok
12/2/2006, 08:19 PM
Jackson County/KC/Chiefs (and whoever else is involved) pay money to the Big XII to host the game, they tend to pay more than the other venues and the reason why the game has been played in KC more than any other place.

1996 Trans World Dome, St. Louis, Missouri
1997 Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas
1998 Trans World Dome, St. Louis, Missouri
1999 Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas
2000 Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri
2001 Texas Stadium, Irving, Texas
2002 Reliant Stadium, Houston, Texas
2003 Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri
2004 Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri
2005 Reliant Stadium, Houston, Texas
2006 Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri
2007 Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri

1stTimeCaller
12/2/2006, 09:22 PM
So, this benefits the Big XII how? It's all about negotiating for money. What part of that money helps the Big XII?

I would guess that in 99.9% of all stadiums in America that sell season tickets for a particular professional sport have the same policy for season ticket holders.

The more money the conference gets for this game the more the schools in the Big XII get (I'm guessing here, I have no idea how this money is divvied up).

We have to remember that there are 11 other schools in our conference.

Scott D
12/3/2006, 12:36 AM
So how are all of you weather whiners feeling now about your weather whining?

Pansies.

Chuck Bao
12/3/2006, 12:49 AM
So how are all of you weather whiners feeling now about your weather whining?

Pansies.

Gee, you're like after the party ends and you want to gradually let the air out of the party balloon to produce the desired sound.

Pfffffft.

Scott D
12/3/2006, 12:58 AM
except I mocked them for whining before the game :)

Chuck Bao
12/3/2006, 01:10 AM
Okay Mr. Scott. ;)

And, I was not alone in like freaking out about the snow/ice storm in OUland on Thursday. And, I'm probably a snow pansy.