PDA

View Full Version : KTUL-TV Channel 8 Tulsa: Big 12 Game may be rescheduled.

SoonerShark
12/1/2006, 10:00 AM
A friend from Tahlequah who gets Tulsa television stations called and told me that the ABC affiliate, Channel 8, in Tulsa reported that athletic directors, and I am sure ABC officials, are talking about rescheduling. For one thing, OU sends its equipment via truck. The band goes via bus.

85sooners
12/1/2006, 10:04 AM
bull**** roads will be fine tomorrow

Ash
12/1/2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not seeing anything about this on soonersports.com or KFOR.

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2006, 10:08 AM
Tomorrow will be too late for a lot of the stuff to get up there.

Also, the roads are horrible here right now and the roads in and out of town in Tulsa are closed.

They should do this for the fans at least. At least make it Sunday if at all possible.

SoonerShark
12/1/2006, 10:09 AM
I'm not seeing anything about this on soonersports.com or KFOR.

KFOR is not an affiliate that works in conjunction with ABC, the broadcasting network. Soonersports.com is never that up-to-date. Plus, if the officials are conferencing now, it would not be reported that quickly. In consideration of the fans, they need to make the call ASAP.

I changed my hotel reservation, changing today as a check-in until tomorrow.

Big Red Cop
12/1/2006, 10:09 AM
Hell will freeze over before that hap........uh oh!!

In reality, this game will not get rescheduled! It is going to be around 30 for kickoff, dropping into the teens by games end! And the travel there, while it might get a little slick in some areas, for the most part will be all clear! Let's see, they knew that this storm was going to happen since like Monday, why not ship up all of the gear ahead of the storm. Who's in charge of the the call here, Ray Nagin??

SoonerShark
12/1/2006, 10:11 AM
bull**** roads will be fine tomorrow

The team generally practices the day before the game in the local venue. Perhaps they could practice shirts versus skins today at Arrowhead if the equipment truck cannot make it.

setem
12/1/2006, 10:16 AM
Maybe you guys need some kerosene leggings....

to keep the bugs off your candy ***!

SUCK IT UP! IT'S 3RD DOWN!

mrowl
12/1/2006, 10:19 AM
I doubt it.

sooneron
The inclusion of the band in the original post makes me giggle. They aren't going to postpone a game due to the band not making it.

OklahomaTuba
Maybe you guys need some kerosene leggings....

to keep the bugs off your candy ***!

SUCK IT UP! IT'S 3RD DOWN!

Hard to "suck it up" when the roads are closed.

Big Red Cop
The people that are complaining about how cold it will be to watch a football game, are the same people that get up at 4 in the morning, go to their deer stands and wait for several hours in the same kind of conditions to shoot bambie. And most of the time, they never see a thing!! Suck it up, dress warm, and cheer your football team on! I know I will!

This goes for both sides!!

setem
12/1/2006, 10:27 AM
The people that are complaining about how cold it will be to watch a football game, are the same people that get up at 4 in the morning, go to their deer stands and wait for several hours in the same kind of conditions to shoot bambie. And most of the time, they never see a thing!! Suck it up, dress warm, and cheer your football team on! I know I will!

That is not fair at all! I am one of those people and I am not complaining!

I will be watching the game from the comforts of my own home:D

SoonerShark
12/1/2006, 10:31 AM
The inclusion of the band in the original post makes me giggle. They aren't going to postpone a game due to the band not making it.

And we are good enough that we do not need to have the team practice today or wear uniforms. Maybe Independence Jr. High School can loan us pads and shoes.

NU will have its band and fans. Should we cede each of the competitive edges to NU?

85sooners
12/1/2006, 10:35 AM
The team generally practices the day before the game in the local venue. Perhaps they could practice shirts versus skins today at Arrowhead if the equipment truck cannot make it. or bring your pads with you on the plane:rolleyes:

SoonerShark
12/1/2006, 10:37 AM

This has nothing to do with the cold. It has to do with the roads and people not dying. We have 12 inches of snow in my yard and on the streets. Under the snow is a sheet of ice. Perhaps it is in the 70s melting the snow and ice elsewhere, but nowhere that I am seeing on TV right now is anything but white. Getting the equipment there is the problem. The team will fly a charter, but semi-trucks transport the OU team's equipment to every game. A charter requires two airport runways to be cleared. Semi-trucks and trailers require hundreds of miles of road to be cleared and being able to drive faster than 25 miles per hour.

stoopified
12/1/2006, 10:40 AM
Weather or not the game WILL go on as planned,this ain't baseball.

SoonerShark
12/1/2006, 10:49 AM
or bring your pads with you on the plane:rolleyes:

That is not how you transport these things. The equipment is in multiple semi-trucks and trailers. Even out of the containers there is a weight issue on airplanes, which need to be able to get into the air, stay in the air, and land safely. There is more equipment to be taken than some seem to recognize. Basically, a training room and more than a change of underwear for each player is required on top of the players' personal items. Of course, none of that stuff affected the OSU basketball team's charter in 2001. Let's load the planes down and in a few years there can be a movie made entitled "We Are Oklahoma."

http://wearemarshall-themovie.warnerbros.com/

Ash
12/1/2006, 10:51 AM
KFOR is not an affiliate that works in conjunction with ABC, the broadcasting network. Soonersports.com is never that up-to-date. Plus, if the officials are conferencing now, it would not be reported that quickly. In consideration of the fans, they need to make the call ASAP.

I changed my hotel reservation, changing today as a check-in until tomorrow.

If it's on one station, the others will pick it up. By the time you posted and I responded I'd expect it to be up there.

:twinkies:

Call the sports info department, if it's for real they should let fans know.

dolemitesooner
12/1/2006, 10:53 AM
Hard to "suck it up" when the roads are closed.
weare about to leave the roads are not ****ing closed

12/1/2006, 11:01 AM

It depends on where you are coming from.

According to multiple news reprots, the Will Rogers Turnpike, which takes you from Tulsa to the Missouri state line, is closed and the national guard is helping stranded motorists.

This is not a question of being too cold. There are safety issues involved in getting to the game, not to mention whether the fans can get there because of traffic and road conditions.

We are not driving up until tomorrow morning so the roads should be passable by then.

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2006, 11:06 AM

Yes they are, you are just too stupid to read the signs. :D

Paperclip
12/1/2006, 11:19 AM
maybe if they read "rOaD CLoSeD"

TripleOption14
12/1/2006, 11:23 AM
They wont stop the game but they should seriously think about not having this game in Kansas city anymore. The majority of conf championship games and bowl games are in WARM locations. I know its football and all but its really a better situation for everyone if the game is either indoors or at a warm site.

sooneron
12/1/2006, 11:30 AM
NU will have its band and fans. Should we cede each of the competitive edges to NU?
I'm sure the roads will be open tomorrow or later today, Mr melodrama:rolleyes:

auto
12/1/2006, 11:34 AM
these whiny, bitchy people would survive about 5 seconds in Alaska. I can barely walk, and I will be out in the "cold" duck hunting this weekend. Pussification of America!!!!

DeadSolidPerfect
12/1/2006, 11:35 AM
Of course, none of that stuff affected the OSU basketball team's charter in 2001. Let's load the planes down and in a few years there can be a movie made entitled "We Are Oklahoma."

http://wearemarshall-themovie.warnerbros.com/
Sweet Moses please!?!?!:rolleyes:

SoonerShark
12/1/2006, 11:40 AM
Sweet Moses please!?!?!:rolleyes:

Written like someone who does not need to consider legal liability.

Sooner_Bob
12/1/2006, 12:04 PM

Whatever.:rolleyes:

FaninAma
12/1/2006, 12:15 PM
these whiny, bitchy people would survive about 5 seconds in Alaska. I can barely walk, and I will be out in the "cold" duck hunting this weekend. Pussification of America!!!!

I go out and work in cold weather because I have to. I go to a football game becuase I enjoy it but I don't have to if I don't want to.. So as long as the idiots at the Big 12 league office insist on having the game in a freaking ice box I will choose not to go. I've been to 2 CCG in KC and I will never go to another. And not just because of the weather. KC sucks and is boring as hell unless you like to gamble or sit in a warm bar and drink.

Could be one of the reason they rarely have a sellout.

And don't give me the crap about the games in Houston not being sellouts....that was because freaking Colorado fans don't support their team.

12/1/2006, 12:21 PM
Hopefully, this snowstorm will be the death knell of KC as a venue for the Big 12 Championship.

I think attendance will be down considerably because of the poor travel conditions and the weather.

OU-HSV
12/1/2006, 12:23 PM
Im about to leave for KC so hopefully this is simply nonsense

Ash
12/1/2006, 12:24 PM
According to the ESPNtv-ABC website, there's no change.

badger
12/1/2006, 12:37 PM
we can have "we are oklahoma," so long as Matthew McConogay plays the part of Bill Callahan. Chuck Norris can play the part of the traitor, who causes the semi to jackknife on a slippery road, and the coach can be played by the Boz.

MMcM:Hahahaha, those effin hillbillies don't know how to drive!
Norris: I round-kicked their truck and now it's permanently stuck in their crappy roads.
MMcM: Hey wait... are those Sooner fans? And Sooner football players?
Boz: Suck it up, Cally. We are Oklahoma, and if you thought a little storm could stop us from beating your a$$ one more time, I'll throw an orange up your...
MMcM: I thought you round-kicked their equipment truck, Chuck!
Boz: We don't need no stinkin' equipment! Owens, did you need your helmet?
Steve Owens: Apparently not. I mean, look at the statue...
Boz: Hell, yeah!
McM: Mommy...
Norris: Shoulda been a Sooner...

RedstickSooner
12/1/2006, 12:44 PM
The people that are complaining about how cold it will be to watch a football game, are the same people that get up at 4 in the morning, go to their deer stands and wait for several hours in the same kind of conditions to shoot bambie.

Yes, but when they shoot bambie, they have their "special friend(s)" to huddle up with, y'know, for "body warmth".

The same "special friend" wearing the same matching outfit.

NTTAWWT :D

Edit: Please, all of you with your thirty aught-sixes, bear in mind that I'm joking, and therefore, according to the Supreme Court and the protections it grants parody, I should NOT be shot out of hand.

Carry on! Go give that "hunt buddy" a hug from all of us!

Er, I shouldn't have said that.

sooner94
12/1/2006, 12:47 PM
we can have "we are oklahoma," so long as Matthew McConogay plays the part of Bill Callahan. Chuck Norris can play the part of the traitor, who causes the semi to jackknife on a slippery road, and the coach can be played by the Boz.

MMcM:Hahahaha, those effin hillbillies don't know how to drive!
Norris: I round-kicked their truck and now it's permanently stuck in their crappy roads.
MMcM: Hey wait... are those Sooner fans? And Sooner football players?
Boz: Suck it up, Cally. We are Oklahoma, and if you thought a little storm could stop us from beating your a$$ one more time, I'll throw an orange up your...
MMcM: I thought you round-kicked their equipment truck, Chuck!
Boz: We don't need no stinkin' equipment! Owens, did you need your helmet?
Steve Owens: Apparently not. I mean, look at the statue...
Boz: Hell, yeah!
McM: Mommy...
Norris: Shoulda been a Sooner...

Now THAT is some FUNNY SH*T. Spek.

jwlynn64
12/1/2006, 12:55 PM
Hopefully, this snowstorm will be the death knell of KC as a venue for the Big 12 Championship.

I think attendance will be down considerably because of the poor travel conditions and the weather.

Can't imagine that they won't move it to the new Texas Stadium once that is built. Great for me since I live in the DFW area.

H&P
12/1/2006, 01:00 PM

It won't. The vast majority of attendees will be Nebraska fans anyway, and snow/cold won't prevent their attendance.

St Louis has a dome, but has much worse weather right now. KC will continue to be in the CCG rotation, as they should be.

East Coast Bias
12/1/2006, 01:10 PM
cmon guys a little bit of snow is no big deal,hehehe. 10 inches just a little skiff up here.......

fadada1
12/1/2006, 01:14 PM
i took my drivers test with 6 inches of snow on the road (unplowed).

drive slow and don't be stupid. good luck.

be safe.

Crimsontothecore
12/1/2006, 01:43 PM
That is not how you transport these things. The equipment is in multiple semi-trucks and trailers. Even out of the containers there is a weight issue on airplanes, which need to be able to get into the air, stay in the air, and land safely. There is more equipment to be taken than some seem to recognize. Basically, a training room and more than a change of underwear for each player is required on top of the players' personal items. Of course, none of that stuff affected the OSU basketball team's charter in 2001. Let's load the planes down and in a few years there can be a movie made entitled "We Are Oklahoma."
Or worse yet, what if the plane crashes in a snow drift on a mountain in Missouri....and they aren't found....and the survivors have to eat the dead! IT COULD HAPPEN PEOPLE!
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE CANCEL THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Whizbang
12/1/2006, 01:44 PM
Gayest

Thread

Evar.................................

GottaHavePride
12/1/2006, 01:48 PM
I'm thinking that the equipment trucks were probably in KC before it started snowing. And if the teams, tv crews, equipment, and refs all make it to the stadium, they'll probably play the game with no one in the stands before they re-schedule it. If you don't feel safe driving on the roads, don't go. They already have the money you paid for the ticket, not using it is your choice.

bstuff1979
12/1/2006, 01:53 PM
Or worse yet, what if the plane crashes in a snow drift on a mountain in Missouri....and they aren't found....and the survivors have to eat the dead! IT COULD HAPPEN PEOPLE!
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE CANCEL THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

If Moe Dampeer was still on the team, they could easily stick that one out for weeks...nay...months. Either way, if they were going to call the thing off I'd think they'd have sense enough to have done it yesterday or better yet have a plan B months ago. It is KC in December, you'd think that they would be on top of things.

GottaHavePride
12/1/2006, 02:01 PM
If Moe Dampeer was still on the team, they could easily stick that one out for weeks...nay...months. Either way, if they were going to call the thing off I'd think they'd have sense enough to have done it yesterday or better yet have a plan B months ago. It is KC in December, you'd think that they would be on top of things.

Yeah, it's called "places farther north know how to deal with snow and ice".

Seriously, I know OKC is way bigger than Wichita, KS, but OKC is absolutely incompetent at dealing with winter storms. Wichita usually gets the salt trucks out before it starts to ice up, and the roads stay a lot clearer. And they actually use SALT instead of sand that just winds up as a layer of sand frozen in-between two layers of ice.

85sooners
12/1/2006, 02:01 PM
boooooomeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!!!!!!!!!!

OKC-SLC
12/1/2006, 02:10 PM
MAJOR HIGHWAYS AS WELL AS ALL SECONDARY ROADS IN THE TROOP L ARE SLICK AND HAZARDOUS. THE WILL ROGERS TURNPIKE (I-44) HAS BEEN RE-OPENED

http://www.dps.state.ok.us/cgi-bin/weathermap.cgi

OKC-SLC
12/1/2006, 02:11 PM
Interesting:

All roads are extremely slick and hardous, with travel being discouraged. The Turner Turnpike is also closed to traffic from Oklahoma City to Tulsa.

FaninAma
12/1/2006, 02:14 PM
St Louis has a dome, but has much worse weather right now. KC will continue to be in the CCG rotation since the Big 12 league office doesn't give a damned about the fans nor the quality of the event.

Fixed.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 02:17 PM
The ting I don't get the most about having it in KC is that the Arrowhead folks don't give a **** about it. The field in KC is always ****ty and falling apart for the CCG. I think we should stop playing there more for that fact more than for the coldness part.

OKC-SLC
12/1/2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.modot.gov/road_conditions/WinterRoadConditions.htm#

US 71 Iowa Line to Route V (Nodaway Co.) DRY 12/01/06 11:19A
US 71 Route V (Nodaway Co.) to Andrew County Line DRY 12/01/06 11:19A
US 71 Nodaway County Line to I-29 (Andrew Co.) DRY 12/01/06 11:19A
US 71 I-70 (Jackson Co.) to I-435 (Jackson Co.) PARTLY COVERED 12/01/06 10:33A
US 71 I-435 (Jackson Co.) to Route 291 (Cass Co.) PARTLY COVERED 12/01/06 10:33A
US 71 Route 291 (Cass Co.) to Bates County Line PARTLY COVERED 12/01/06 10:31A
US 71 Cass County Line to Vernon County Line COVERED 12/01/06 11:09A
US 71 Bates County Line to Barton County Line COVERED 12/01/06 11:09A
US 71 Vernon County Line to Jasper County Line PARTLY COVERED 12/01/06 11:19A
US 71 Barton County Line to I-44 E. Jct. (Jasper Co.) PARTLY COVERED 12/01/06 11:19A
US 71 I-44 W. Jct. (Newton Co.) to McDonald County Line COVERED 12/01/06 11:09A
US 71 McDonald County Line to Arkansas Line COVERED 12/01/06 11:09A

OUMallen
12/1/2006, 02:28 PM
Interesting:

All roads are extremely slick and hardous, with travel being discouraged. The Turner Turnpike is also closed to traffic from Oklahoma City to Tulsa.

Not true. Traffic is flowing eastbound.

OUMallen
12/1/2006, 02:30 PM
By Greg Elwell
Staff Writer
One eastbound lane of the Turner Turnpike was opened at 8:15 a.m. after being closed for about nine hours because of snow.

The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority closed the road at 11:30 p.m. Thursday when snow drifts, blowing snow and ice became too much for drivers to handle, authority public information officer Jack Damrill said.

Story continues below advertisement

An accident involving a cattle truck and a tractor-trailer closed down the westbound section of the turnpike, with National Guard troops aiding those whose cars were snowed under behind the collision, Damrill said.

A line of tractor-trailers were waiting at the eastbound entrance of the turnpike when it opened — many had been waiting there since it was closed, Damrill said.

The westbound lanes of Turner Turnpike are still closed, but one lane in each direction on the Cimarron Turnpike is open, Damrill said. The Will Rogers Turnpike is still closed, but it could change any minute, he said.

All other state turnpikes stayed open overnight and are in decent shape, Damrill said.

OKC-SLC
12/1/2006, 02:31 PM
Not true. Traffic is flowing eastbound.
Thought that seemed a bit suspect. The reports keep getting updated, but only some of them.

OKC-SLC
12/1/2006, 02:35 PM
The Will Rogers Turnpike is still closed, but it could change any minute, he said.
The OHP site says Rogers has been reopened. My brother (OU-HSV) just left Broken Arrow and will be calling me any minute if this is not true yet.

Husker Ted
12/1/2006, 03:10 PM
You guys have heard of 4 wheel drive, haven't you?

Half a Hundred
12/1/2006, 03:26 PM
You guys have heard of 4 wheel drive, haven't you?

Unlike the tundra, this is one of about 3 times this winter that we are going to deal with snow and ice on this level. Thus, spending the extra cash on 4WD is often pointless.

Blitzkrieg
12/1/2006, 04:15 PM
We have a band?

TXBOOMER
12/1/2006, 04:22 PM
Written like someone who does not need to consider legal liability.

Were you in the movie Misery?

FaninAma
12/1/2006, 05:03 PM
So who all on this thread that thinks Kansas City is a great place to have the primier game in the conference was at KC in 2000, 2003, 2004?

I was at the 2003 and 2004 games and it Sucked!

Whatever the temperature is outside of the stadium it seems 10 degrees colder in the stadium. Arrowhead acts like a damned refrigerator.

I've been at every home OU game since 1999 including Colorado and TT this year and the rainy cold games v. Colorado and Iowa State in 2002 and there is absolutely no comparison to the sucky weather at Kansas City in 2003. The field has to be the worst field I've seen the Sooners ever play on and that includes the Cotton Bowl. (I said field, not stadium.)

H&P
12/1/2006, 05:07 PM
So who all on this thread that thinks Kansas City is a great place to have the primier game in the conference was at KC in 2000, 2003, 2004?

It is a great location. Only tickets left via Ticketmaster are standing room only. Was that the case in Houston? I'm guessing not, though I do not know for sure. Great place to tailgate. Recently sodded field, so not sure why you seem so concerned about that. If the players are as concerned as you are about the weather or location, NU wins going away...

starrca23
12/1/2006, 05:12 PM
Personally I think they should hold the game in Norman every year.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 05:13 PM
It is a great location. Only tickets left via Ticketmaster are standing room only. Was that the case in Houston? I'm guessing not, though I do not know for sure. Great place to tailgate. Recently sodded field, so not sure why you seem so concerned about that. If the players are as concerned as you are about the weather or location, NU wins going away...

Hey, I can't remember, Who did we play in that CCG in Houston? I just seemed like however it was didn't bring any fans.

Oh! On a completely different topic, does anyone here know, does Colorado travel very well? I never thought they did, but you know I might be wrong.

KC//CRIMSON
12/1/2006, 05:16 PM

I was at the 2003 and 2004 games and it Sucked!

Whatever the temperature is outside of the stadium it seems 10 degrees colder in the stadium. Arrowhead acts like a damned refrigerator.

I've been at every home OU game since 1999 including Colorado and TT this year and the rainy cold games v. Colorado and Iowa State in 2002 and there is absolutely no comparison to the sucky weather at Kansas City in 2003. The field has to be the worst field I've seen the Sooners ever play on and that includes the Cotton Bowl. (I said field, not stadium.)

Both teams play on the same field. Arrowhead and cold weather were made for football. KC is a football town and Arrowhead holds the record for most fans at a Big12 Championship game. It's an awesome venue. Don't know why you think it "sucked" so bad.

Now, on to Arrowhead! Go Sooners!

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 05:21 PM
.....Ok guys if the field condition doesn't matter, cause both teams play on the same field you know, let's just play the game on broken glass. Yes, we all know that both teams play on the same field, but that is no excuse to play on a sub-par, crap-*** field. And the only reason KC has some record for highest attended CCG is because the fans of north teams flat out refuse to drive. They think that the south owes it to them to have the game close to them, and when it's not, they don't show up.

H&P
12/1/2006, 05:22 PM
.....Ok guys if the field condition doesn't matter, cause both teams play on the same field you know, let's just play the game on broken glass. Yes, we all know that both teams play on the same field, but that is no excuse to play on a sub-par, crap-*** field. And the only reason KC has some record for highest attended CCG is because the fans of north teams flat out refuse to drive. They think that the south owes it to them to have the game close to them, and when it's not, they don't show up.

Colorado fans don't travel. Nebraska fans travel. If this game was in El Paso, Nebraska fans would be there.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 05:25 PM
Well, let's have the damn thing in El Paso then

One team does not a conference make

IronSooner
12/1/2006, 06:00 PM
Arrowhead sucks because every year the game's there travel is a *****. The venue's fine, but the location is awful.

MiccoMacey
12/1/2006, 06:38 PM
Any update on what KTUL said about the game?

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 06:40 PM
Prep games are being rescheduled, not college ones

MiccoMacey
12/1/2006, 06:42 PM
Gracias

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 06:43 PM
De Nada

boomersooner28
12/1/2006, 06:44 PM
The game will be played as scheduled......

BOOOOOOOOOMER!

auto
12/1/2006, 08:43 PM
The game will be played as scheduled......

BOOOOOOOOOMER!

duh

Scott D
12/1/2006, 08:56 PM
people complaining about bad roads and weather conditions make me snicker...a lot.

Widescreen
12/1/2006, 09:05 PM
people complaining about bad roads and weather conditions make me snicker...a lot.
Only because you're one of the Michigan snow elites.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 09:08 PM
people complaining about people complaining about bad roads and weather conditions make me snicker....

Mmmm Snickers

Scott D
12/1/2006, 11:26 PM
Only because you're one of the Michigan snow elites.

heh, in my opinion, Milwaukee and Chicago kick our asses in snowfall prep, and in snow removal capabilities.

Texas Golfer
12/2/2006, 10:17 AM

You're omitting one very important factor - the participants. OU/NU is always a marquee game. Colorado doesnt' travel worth a damn.