PDA

View Full Version : DOES THIS MAKE SENSE???

BIG_IKE
12/1/2006, 09:20 AM
People, I have devised a plan that seems very workable. IT will determine our national champion by doing the following.

1. Polls have absolutely no bearing on ANYTHING. Opinions will not define champs only the field will.

2. The BCS will not exist.
3. The NCAA will have an outright football championship
4. Conference Championship games will still be played, but as part of a playoff.

5. Teams who cannot win their conference will not be eligible to win the NC.
6. The Bowl season or schedule will NOT be effected. They will return to how they traditionally were.

7. Teams not in a conference will NOT be able to qualify for the playoff.

Here is the plan.

The regular season will consist of 11 games, that must be complete the last week of November. The 1st week of December, the playoffs will start. The 1st round matchups will actually be Conference Championships for some, and games vs. other conference champs for others. There will be 2 brackets of 8 teams. Once the brackets play out, which will be the 3rd week of December. The 2 teams that qualify for the Championship will wait and play that game in January. Here is how the bracket would be...

EAST REGIONAL (Championship 3rd Week of December)

Big 10 Champ (Ohio St.) vs. Big East Champ (Louisville)
MAC West Champ (CMU) vs. Mac East Champ (Ohio)
ACC Atlantic Champ (Wake Forest) vs. ACC Coastal Champ (Georgia Tech)
SEC West Champ (Arkansas) vs. SEC East Champ Florida)

WEST REGIONAL (Championship 3rd Week of December)

Big 12 North Champ (Nebraska) vs. Big 12 South Champ (OU)
C-USA East Champ (Southern Miss) vs. C-USA West Champ (Houston)
Pac-10 Champ (USC) vs. SunBelt Champ (MTSU)
WAC Champ (Boise St) vs. MWC Champ (BYU)

Then Bowl Bids will come out after the semifinal games, with the 2 finalist playing in the National Title Game. BCS Bowls will be eliminated and bowl bids will be based on the traditional ties from the past. The only exception will be if the team is playing in the NC Game.

Thoughts? This seems fair, without having to drastically alter anything.
Except Notre Dame must join a Conference if they have NC Aspirations.

fadada1
12/1/2006, 09:39 AM
sir, you have brought logic and clarity into something that cannot survive without confusion and chaos.

you probably should be banned.

totally agree with the notre dame comment.

sooner_born_1960
12/1/2006, 09:48 AM
I don't think any playoff system that doesn't have room for at-large berths will ever be implemented. You have to have a way for the 10-1 team, who's only loss is to an 11-0 team, to make the playoffs.

BIG_IKE
12/1/2006, 09:53 AM
That would never happen unless the 11-0 team is in the same conference as them. and in that case, they don't need to go if they are not the best ON THE FIELD in their conference.

At Large Berths = OPINION POLLS

The SEC will have nothing to cry about because no matter how many wins or losses they have, if they can win the SEC East or West...they will make the playoff. I think thats fair. We dont need a 10-1 Hawaii team complaining because they can't get in. Being good all year used to mean something back in the day. We have 50 million bowls now. Same with HS Football. Back in the Day if you did not win district you did not even go to the playoffs. Now they take the top FOUR teams. Thats crazy..

TexasLidig8r
12/1/2006, 10:12 AM
Where to begin?...

First, your theory is based on the assumption that being a conference champion escalates that team into a category as being "worthy" to play for a national championship. This assumption is faulty.

Of the 16 teams listed in your grouping, perhaps as many as 12 have no business whatsoever being in a national championship mix.. Ohio? BYU? Houston? Louisville? Boise State? And to elevate those teams over much more deserving and talented teams like... LSU, Michigan, Arkansas?

There was already a gnashing and grinding of teeth over the perceived "weaker conferences" possibly getting to play not only in the national championship game but in any BCS bowl. Look back at the posts on this site alone regarding Boise State when it appeared the choice may have come to OU vs. Boise.

Your system in essence, enables the weaker conferences and completely lessens the importance of any non-conference games. As it is now, if the non-BCS schools want to be regarded as a big time player.. then, step to the plate and play some big dog BCS schools... schedule USC, OU, Texas.. or hell, even play USC's slate of non-conference teams from this year... Nebraska, Arkansas, Notre Dame.... run the table with those teams and then start talking about how "deserving" you are.

The presidents of the universities would not agree to the system because first and foremost, they still adhere and should adhere to the tenet that first and foremost, universities are institutions of education. Your system disrupts the time frame in which mid term exams are being given. With the NCAA enforcing academic requirements, your system makes it much more difficult for student athletes to meet those requirements.

The networks would not go for that system since many of those "conference champions" are not household names, would not be watched on a wholesale basis and as a result, the networks would not be able to attract the advertising revenues they require.

A seeding system would have to be implemented to make sure that a giant of the game (this year, read Ohio State) would not end up playing a runt (this year, read Ohio University) in the championship game. Again, there would be the gnashing of teeth over seeding.

Too many huge holes to fill and hurdles to overcome in your system.

Octavian
12/1/2006, 10:20 AM
nope

sooner518
12/1/2006, 10:20 AM
why does USC get to play MTSU when Ohio St is stuck with Louisville?

its always going to be subjective. hell, even your matchups are subjective

BIG_IKE
12/1/2006, 10:27 AM
These are games that we normally would not have.
I see hwat your saying about the non conference games not meaning much, but actually they do. IT will prepare your team for the conference schedule without dashing your national title hopes for playing someone tough early.

Anyone have a better suggestion? I just hate the fact that champions are decided by OPINIONS and not playing on the field.

westcoast_sooner
12/1/2006, 10:31 AM
Overall, I like the concept. The only problem I see with it is that for conferences that don't have a championship game (Pac-10 and Big 10), they have one team in the playoffs, while other conferences like the SEC and Big XII get two.

Suppose the Pac-10 then decides to have a CG - does that bump someone like the MAC or C-USA out, or does the playoff expand? Expanding the playoff means it will take longer to get it all done.

Overall, nice thinking. Now if we can convince the NCAA and presidents to go along.

BIG_IKE
12/1/2006, 10:34 AM
OK....

What if we kept the BCS Ranking System....
The 11 Conference Champs get Automatic bids.
The remaining 5 slots are determined by BCs Rankings.

The matchups determined by Seeds. (1vs16, 15 vs, 2 etc,)
We can call it the BCs Playoffs, and the CG will be in January just like it is now.

And Finals are during the week, usually in the 1st 3 weeks of December.
I doubt 4 games in Week 2 and 2 Games in week 3 are gonna disrupt finals across the nation very much.

TexasLidig8r
12/1/2006, 10:47 AM
Keep 4 BCS bowls instead of the 4 plus championship game now.

All other bowls remain the same.

All 8 BCS schools are seeded depending on record, SOS, computer ranking, polls.

The week after the BCS bowls are played, the 4 winners play each other.

The two remaining winners play in a national championship game the week before the Super Bowl.

Doesn't interfere with mid-terms. Doesn't interfere with the bowls. Networks love it for the additional revenue. If you aren't playing in one of the 4 BCS bowls, you probably don't deserve a national championship shot anyway.

stoopified
12/1/2006, 11:49 AM
Not a bad plan,I like it better than the current Bull CR@P System.

jwlynn64
12/1/2006, 02:18 PM
I've said it before but I think that we need to create eight 12 team conferences and the 8 conference champs will play in an 8 team playoff.

If you do not belong to a conference, too bad. Should have joined one.

I also think that the conferences need the ability to replace non-competitive teams. No reason a Baylor or SMU (add your non competitive teams here) gets to be in a conference until they show they are committed to winning.

CORNholio
12/1/2006, 02:41 PM
If all you have to do is win your conf then I see teams like ND joining the MAC so they can be in the playoffs every year and play nobody OOC either. Hell I hope OU joins the WAC if that were to happen.
Playoffs are redundant and a very slipper slope that they will keep expanding until every 8-4 team in the top 32 can have a shot at the NC. Playoff lovers should take a look at the NFL with their "wild cards" and what not.

jwlynn64
12/1/2006, 03:25 PM
If the conferences are allowed some flexibility is dropping non competitive teams, then the strengths of the conferences would be somewhat self regulating.

ND might be the best team in a weak conference for the short time but the added exposure to the other schools would eventually lead to them being able to recruit better athletes and ND not being able to run rough shod over the competition.

In addition, it is in ND best interest to play in a somewhat competitive conference. If not, they will be knocked out in the first round every time since they are only used to playing patty cakes.

Also, say what you will, ND has never been shy about scheduling tough opponents so I don't necessarily buy into the ND argument. Miami on the other hand....

StuIsTheMan
12/1/2006, 03:32 PM
Not to me...and here is why...
1. By your system a 8 and 3 ACC champ has a shot and a 10 and 1 Big 12 runner up does not...
2. By making some of the mid major Bowls part of the playoff would make greater revenue and keep the intrest throughout Dec.
and 3. the old traditions of the bowl bids Suck!...I want to see games that would never be played in the regular season or at the "Traditional" bowls. It's been done...More Sooners vs. Boise St. and Miami vs. Nevada I tell ya, it will make these "smaller" schools better and make for better football all around.

and heck ya for leaving the domers out all together...and what the heck is Grimous doing coaching there?

JMHO

-LightningYellow
"Autzen Stadium: The place where Heisman hopes are dashed, undefeated seasons end, and great teams go do die."

****Yellow
"Fraudtzen Stadium: The place where the Heisman won’t ever come, we have never had an undefeated season, and great Ref's go to Lie."

fixed

sanantoniosooner
12/1/2006, 03:34 PM
Representatives from the top 10 teams after the final poll should fight to the death.

Being Sooners we'd always get the first punch in.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2006, 03:39 PM
I think the NC should be settled by the top 10 teams competing in NBCs Battle of the Superstars

TMcGee86
12/1/2006, 04:00 PM
the main problem I see with this is either all conferences should have a championship game or all should not have the game.

Otherwise, lets say this season that Wisconsin had not played OSU (which they didn't) and they beat Michigan.

They would be undefeated (and even more overrated than they are now but still) and they would be left out of the playoffs.

That would not be cool.

I still think the easiest way to do it would be to add one game. At least for now.

Make the Rose Bowl the Semi-final game 1 with USC and Mich, and make the Sugar the Semi-final game 2 with OSU vs. FL.

Then the regularly scheduled BCS championship game is between the winner.

It wouldn't solve all the problems, but it's a start. And nothing has to change.

Hell, the only teams that are affected would be ND and LSU, as they are currently projected to be in the Rose and Sugar. And ND has no right to gripe about anything after getting donkey stomped by both Mich and USC, and LSU cant complain all that much either with their multiple losses.

So simple, yet, so hard to accomplish.

sanantoniosooner
12/1/2006, 04:03 PM
A four team playoff would satisfy me.

Getting screwed at #5 isn't nearly as bad as getting screwed at #3

Even in the NCAA tourney, you still get people whiney about getting screwed at #66.

fadada1
12/1/2006, 04:08 PM
1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Michigan
4. Florida
5. LSU
6. Louisville
7. Wisconsin
8. Boise State

this is the top 8 in the BCS. notice there are 3 big10 teams - good for them. should we keep wisconsin out of a playoff because they didn't win the big10??? and are 11-1???

why do we need a conference tie in???? we don't!!!! top 8 go to a playoff regardless of conference. btw, we'd be in the top 8, save the oregon fiasco. and we still may sneak in with a win and a florida loss (or something of that nature).

keep the 4 BCS bowls as the playoff (1v.8, 2v.7, 3v.6, 4v.5). then have a national semi-final and a championship game. OR, top 4 seeds play a home game. then rotate the 3 remaining games each year to the four major venues.

BTW, the crap we have now with an additional BCS game is total crap - it's the same freaking thing we had last year - still #1 v #2... just with a chance for boise state to get in a big game.

jwlynn64
12/1/2006, 04:08 PM
I think that a four team playoff has the potential to screw a couple of teams. In my mind, an eight team playoff might include a couple of undeserving teams but better that than to leave someone out that should be there.

sanantoniosooner
12/1/2006, 04:12 PM
I think that a four team playoff has the potential to screw a couple of teams. In my mind, an eight team playoff might include a couple of undeserving teams but better that than to leave someone out that should be there.
Somebody gets screwed no matter how many teams play.

Anything we get is gravy compared to the old or current system

A "plus one" game wouldn't infringe on the current system. A real playoff would totally destroy the bowl system.

I personally like having the bowls because half of the teams get to recruit and go into the next season on a high note. Half the Seniors get to go out on a win even if it's not for all the marbles.

RRWSooner
12/1/2006, 04:16 PM
Ike,

That plan makes too much sense. The NCAA will never comprehend that idea (because it makes sense).

Start talking in terms of money and they might start understanding then...LOL

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2006, 04:20 PM
IMO, This current bowl system has worked for years and I have always enjoyed watching the bowl season being played out.

The question I have is for whose sake does there have to be a clear cut, no argument NC, even though Im of the opinion that a playoff would not ease arguments it would just be different ones.... Is it for Fans? Is it for the team?

TMcGee86
12/1/2006, 04:22 PM
A four team playoff would satisfy me.

Getting screwed at #5 isn't nearly as bad as getting screwed at #3

Even in the NCAA tourney, you still get people whiney about getting screwed at #66.

Yeah, exactly. It would at least eliminate the possibility of three undefeated teams and one getting left out.

The chance of 5 legitimate teams going undefeated and ending the season ranked 1-5 is minuscule, so at the very least it makes the "we got left out" argument much much weaker.

TMcGee86
12/1/2006, 04:28 PM

Yeah, I agree, but someone always is left out, and I'm trying to think of a way that would be the least amount of change from the current system.

The plus one is just soooo easy to implement it could be done this year.

Like I said, you implement it tomorrow and the only thing it does is screws LSU and ND out of bigger bowl games.

And crap, for all I care, add another BCS bowl game, call it the sugar bowl, and have LSU and ND play each other in that game. We have two Fiesta bowls this year, whats another sugar bowl?

But I agree the 8 team playoff is probably the ideal situation, I just know there is no way they are going to do that, at least not right off the bat.

The plus-one is a step in the right direction.

It's all about baby steps. ;)

jkjsooner
12/1/2006, 05:10 PM
I think the biggest question is, where do you play those games? Neutral sites or on one team's home field? Who gets the home field advantage? It's easy to say neutral sites but, at best, it's only practical for the semis and finals (if even practical for the semis).

If we had all the games at neutral sites, you would be expecting fans from the two teams in the finals to travel to four different locations (with expensive last minute reservations) in four weeks. That is not practical.

Even in basketball fans only need to travel to 3 locations. In addition, you also only need a few thousand fans from each school.

Even the NFL doesn't have neutral site games before the Super Bowl....