PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson figured it out

RacerX
12/1/2006, 06:39 AM
Make a movie about a dead culture and you're less likely to have protestors.

APOCOLYPTO

soonerbrat
12/1/2006, 11:37 AM
Make a movie about a dead culture and you're less likely to have protestors.

APOCOLYPTO

which is showing at Riverwind tonight. And Mel is supposed to make an appearance there.

mdklatt
12/1/2006, 11:40 AM
Is it just me, or does that movie look awful?

soonerbrat
12/1/2006, 11:44 AM
I"ll let ya know tomorrow :D

picasso
12/1/2006, 11:44 AM
it's just you.

I find that culture quite interesting.

poke4christ
12/1/2006, 12:23 PM
One phrase sums up APOCOLYPTO:

"I don't get it?"

picasso
12/1/2006, 12:25 PM
ever read history? the Spaniards moved in, wiped out a culture.

and, after seeing the pretty gold them natives were wearing, headed north.

I'd like to see a movie about the Pueblos kicking their asses back down south.

crawfish
12/1/2006, 01:16 PM

It's just you. I think it looks incredible...

Mel might be an ***, but he's a great filmmaker.

skycat
12/1/2006, 02:34 PM
Did you like The Patriot? yuck

I do think this looks very interesting though.

crawfish
12/1/2006, 02:46 PM

Surprisingly, he's only directed three films: The Passion, Braveheart and The Man Without a Face.

The first two are stellar.

skycat
12/1/2006, 02:49 PM
Really? Sorry, I thought he had directed The Patriot. My mistake.

Of the three you've listed, I've only seen two, and only like one (Braveheart).

I did like that one quite a bit though.

picasso
12/1/2006, 04:02 PM
which is showing at Riverwind tonight. And Mel is supposed to make an appearance there.
is it tonight or next week? we thought it was next Friday.

:confused:

King Crimson
12/1/2006, 04:10 PM
uh, spelling police.

King Crimson
12/1/2006, 04:11 PM

my mom sent me an email it's tonight....and 55$.

mrowl
12/1/2006, 04:17 PM

you, I am in.

soonerbrat
12/2/2006, 02:09 AM

it was tonight...i kicked Mel's a$$ at poker after the movie.
ok, i didn't.....i was afraid he'd fall in love with me and leave his wife. I wouldn't wanna take care of all those kids.

the movie was very violent, very bloody and very hard to watch at times...but very good.

Mel looked good.. the guy that starred in the movie was there too..Rudy Youngblood.

mdklatt
12/2/2006, 10:39 PM
the movie was very violent, very bloody and very hard to watch at times...but very good.

Violence in a Mel Gibson movie? I'm shocked.

KaiserSooner
12/3/2006, 12:47 AM
My interest is piqued. To those of you that have seen it, how did the extinct language thing go over? And was there some sort of political moral or bent to the movie as a whole? Anyway, I just recently started a book on the history of Central America, so I guess the movie is sorta timely.

ItaliaSooner
12/3/2006, 01:59 PM
My interest is piqued. To those of you that have seen it, how did the extinct language thing go over? And was there some sort of political moral or bent to the movie as a whole? Anyway, I just recently started a book on the history of Central America, so I guess the movie is sorta timely.

It's a metaphor for the imminent demise of modern society.

KaiserSooner
12/3/2006, 02:36 PM
If that's true...my interest: not so piqued.

:D

King Crimson
12/3/2006, 02:38 PM
I'm gonna see it. if only so i can have further reason to say "Mel Gibson's Apocalpyto" out loud.

walkoffsooner
12/3/2006, 03:20 PM
55 bucks! What the hell for? The enjoyment of watching a movie in a tax payer bought movie theater. With indians running it getting paid by the gov. To watch a movie about about how bad we treated them. And I'am half Kiowa. No thanks

soonerbrat
12/3/2006, 04:34 PM
55 bucks! What the hell for? The enjoyment of watching a movie in a tax payer bought movie theater. With indians running it getting paid by the gov. To watch a movie about about how bad we treated them. And I'am half Kiowa. No thanks

actually, all the proceeds went to the Indian Health Care service, Lupus Foundadtion, and some charity for Mayan health care. Mr. Gibson matched every dollar raise.... and we got free candy and popcorn and drinks :D

soonerbrat
12/3/2006, 04:37 PM

and oh yeah...it wasn't a movie about how bad "we" treated them it was about how they treated each other....capture, slavery, human sacrifice of each other.

Jeopardude
12/3/2006, 05:35 PM
I'm not much of a Mel Gibson fan (Braveheart really didn't appeal to me), but I think the premise, or at least what it looks to be from the trailer is simple genius. I remember, and I'm sure most of us do, learning about the Aztec civilization and when the subject of human sacrifice came up I thought, "If that was me up there about to get killed I'd run like hell!" And that seems like a lot of the movie-- a guy running like hell so he doesn't get offered up to the gods.

picasso
12/11/2006, 12:25 AM
saw it tonight. it rawked!
violent? yes but not as graphic as Braveheart. language was pulled off well.
good story line, you're on the edge of your seat all the way until the end.

great costumes, authenticity was excellent. I'm ready to see it again.

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/11/2006, 12:42 AM

I liked The Patriot quite a bit, especially the tomahawk slashing, and when one guy gets his leg taken off with a cannonball, and then when the other dude gets his head taken off with the cannonball...yeah, great stuff.

C&CDean
12/11/2006, 09:39 AM

Guess they didn't teach English up at the Kiowa school house.

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 09:41 AM
did anybody see the spoof on SNL saturday nite? funny as hell

picasso
12/11/2006, 10:34 AM
did it have anything to do w/Mel and Jews?

look I know the guy is kind of nutty but it's a real joke if that incident becomes a stigma for him. We're talking about the same Hollywood that has forgiven Woody Allen for marrying his adopted daughter, which is flat out disgusting.

crawfish
12/11/2006, 10:37 AM

look I know the guy is kind of nutty but it's a real joke if that incident becomes a stigma for him. We're talking about the same Hollywood that has forgiven Woody Allen for marrying his adopted daughter, which is flat out disgusting.

...or Roman Polanski. :rolleyes:

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 10:43 AM

yeah......they had subtitles like "the jews are coming" and then you see all the mayans running thru the forest.......i agree with youa bout the incident, but it was still funny

picasso
12/11/2006, 11:06 AM
...or Roman Polanski. :rolleyes:
exaclty (although I thought the pianist was brilliant).

sooneron
12/11/2006, 11:45 AM
That was pretty much the only funny thing on SNL .

I smell bagels...

Paperclip
12/11/2006, 11:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP2Fp7vJD4E

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 11:54 AM
That was pretty much the only funny thing on SNL .

I smell bagels...

last week's show was better......amy poehlers rant on Weekend Update about Brittney Spears hoohoo was a riot

Frozen Sooner
12/11/2006, 11:55 AM
Can't remember the name of the comedian who was on Comedy Central last night, but his deal was pretty funny.

"See, there's a sliding scale of racism in Hollywood. Mel Gibson had the Passion, so he's allowed to hate Jews. Michael Richards has "Seinfeld" money, so he can hate the blacks. Me, I get to hate Hottentots and Serbo-Croatians, but I'm one TV appearance away from getting to hate the Swedes. Dirty Swedes."

Billy_Baller
12/11/2006, 11:55 AM
Great movie, life was brutal back then.