PDA

View Full Version : new QB commit

picasso
11/30/2006, 11:04 PM
saw on another board. Keith Nichol changed his verbal from Michigan State to the Sooners.

recruiting nerds help.

picasso
11/30/2006, 11:05 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/KEITHNICHOL6_27150.JPG

Keith Nichol

Dual-threat quarterback
Lowell (MI) Lowell

Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 195 lbs
Forty: 4.68 secs
Bench max: 240 pounds
Squat max: 500 pounds
Vertical: 37 inches
GPA: 3.36
ACT: 22
Class: 2007 (HS - December Grad)

Rivals.com Rating: 5.9 (About)
Position Ranking: 5

Rivals.com Rivals250 2007
Rivals.com dual-threat quarterbacks 2007 (5)
Rivals.com Michigan Top 30 2007 (4)

The Latest: Nichol to Oklahoma — 11/30/2006

SpartanMag.com has learned that Keith Nichol has switched his commitment from Michigan State to the Oklahoma Sooners. The Elite 11 quarterback returned from his mid-week visit earlier today. Find out the details.[details]

birddog
11/30/2006, 11:05 PM
there's some info on the recruiting board.

sooneron
11/30/2006, 11:09 PM
He can only bench 240??? pffffft!

booomer
11/30/2006, 11:09 PM
That's good news!!!

http://michiganstate.rivals.com/

sooneron
11/30/2006, 11:10 PM
Oh

and

WOOT!!!!!!!

RacerX
11/30/2006, 11:10 PM
thanks pic

picasso
11/30/2006, 11:13 PM
37 inch vertical is very impressive for a white boy.

sooneron
11/30/2006, 11:13 PM
This is great news and all, but is this kid ready to play next year? We need someone for 07, pronto. I don't know if Halzle is the one or not as I have not heard much about him.

picasso
11/30/2006, 11:15 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/951/373511.jpg

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/KEITHNICHOL6_27200A.JPG

Collier11
11/30/2006, 11:20 PM
He will be here in january apparently if he stays with his commit. Thats an entire winter, spring, and summer with heup...I think he will be ready!!!

SicEmBaylor
11/30/2006, 11:27 PM
He looks a little on the...shrimpy side doesn't he?

OklahomaTuba
Hopefully he isn't nuts like the rest of our more recent blue chip QBs.

sooneron
He will be here in january apparently if he stays with his commit. Thats an entire winter, spring, and summer with heup...I think he will be ready!!!
That is good to hear.

Sounds like he and Josh really bonded on his visit.

Scotty
11/30/2006, 11:28 PM
any video on this kid out there?

picasso
11/30/2006, 11:29 PM
he looks like he's 6'2", 195 without an ounce of fat. players don't look so big without pads Baylor guy.:D

he's also probably a 17 year old kid.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 11:29 PM
i wonder what kind of questions the coaches asked him

do you like riding in the back of pickup trucks?
are you going to tackle an opposing defender in practice even though you are wearing a blue jersey?
do you believe in the practice of pouring beer in coke cans?
how do you feel about working at car dealerships?
if it is 3rd down with 10 seconds left on our 1. do you spike the ball?
do you run around the linebacker or through him?
do you forget what color jersey you are wearing during the spring game?

picasso
11/30/2006, 11:31 PM
i wonder what kind of questions the coaches asked him

do you like riding in the back of pickup trucks?
are you going to tackle an opposing defender in practice even though you are wearing a blue jersey?
do you believe in the practice of pouring beer in coke cans?
how do you feel about working at car dealerships?
if it is 3rd down with 10 seconds left on our 1. do you spike the ball?
do you run around the linebacker or through him?
do you forget what color jersey you are wearing during the spring game?
if his name were Neith Kichol I'd be worried.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 11:33 PM
give brando a chance

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 11:33 PM
Elite 11 quarterback Keith Nichol has decided to de-commit from Michigan State and commit to Oklahoma according to Nichol's father Gary Nichol, who spoke to Spartanmag.com while snowed in on campus at OU.

Jim Comparoni
Keith Nichol has decided to switch his commitment from Michigan State to Oklahoma.
Nichol made his decision during a mid-week official visit to Norman. The Lowell quarterback called Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio to inform him of his change of heart.

"Keith was so impressed with the people and players and the environment at Oklahoma," said Gary Nichol. "He just loved it here. We are actually still here; we got snowed in and are hoping to leave for home in the morning."

Dantonio wished Nichol the best of luck said Mr. Nichol. Dantonio also told the Nichols that he appreciated how timely and honest they had been with him.

"He was fine with Keith's decision and he appreciated the fact that Keith called and talked to him directly," said Gary Nichol. "He told us that if anything changed to give him a call back."

The decision was difficult for the Nichols as a family. The distance away from home was a drawback for Keith Nichol and his family as was the fact that Keith Nichol has a longtime girlfriend in Lowell.

It was also difficult for Keith Nichol to say no to Michigan State after being committed to the Spartans for nearly two years.

Nichol had no intention of committing to Oklahoma when he stepped off the plane in Norman. But his father said that the entire situation at Oklahoma felt right from the staff, the players, and all the way down to the facilities.

"He knew today that it was what he wanted," said Mr. Nichol. "It was really about the people."

Nichol will enroll early at Oklahoma and begin taking classes in January.

Nichol would have been the first Elite 11 quarterback at Michigan State since Drew Stanton.

Cool. Good jorb BS and JH.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 11:37 PM

he looks about the same size as stephen mcgee was

Widescreen
11/30/2006, 11:37 PM
So this is a weather hostage situation? I like that as a recruiting strategy. :D

SicEmBaylor
11/30/2006, 11:38 PM
Heh, I went over to the Michigan State MB...lots of colorful language and 4 letter words directed at Stoops flying around over there.

starrca23
11/30/2006, 11:38 PM
The familly being involved in the decision makes him sound like he has a better head on his sholders than most.

jdsooner
11/30/2006, 11:43 PM
As a senior, Nichol, a three-year starter at quarterback, threw for 2,225 yards, 31 TDs and six INTs (118 for 185); and he rushed for 1,075 yards and 19 TDs on 121 carries. he was named to the Detroit News "Dream Team".
Keith Nichol is one of the very best quarterback prospects in the Midwest. He throw for 2,200 yards and 28 touchdowns as a junior. Also rushed for 900 yards and 14 touchdowns as a sophomore. committed to Michigan State before his junior season.

Coach's Comments -"I'm still trying to a find a weakness in his game. Intelligent, great work-ethic in the classroom, on the field and in the weight-room. Makes great decisions. Fantastic young man that I can't say enough great things about. I have small children and I can't get them around Keith enough." --Noel Dean

King Crimson
11/30/2006, 11:43 PM
give brando a chance

all he does is win, win, win.

Nichol is listed at Scout as 6' 3", 180.

soonerthanu
11/30/2006, 11:50 PM
Damn that means he is only 5'9 and a buck sixty

CoSooner
11/30/2006, 11:53 PM
here is some video of him

link (http://www.wzzm13.com/sports/2006football/sidelines_player_1.aspx?aid=11382&sid=64425&bw=)

TrophyCollector
11/30/2006, 11:54 PM
Heh, I went over to the Michigan State MB...lots of colorful language and 4 letter words directed at Stoops flying around over there.

Yea, MSU has second-tier facilities and a mid to low tier Big 10 football program which cost them a big time QB recruit - must be all Bob Stoops fault :rolleyes:.

If they could keep a coach long enough for me to remember his name, I'd make fun of him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 11:59 PM
this one made me laugh

NO MORE UNI TALK!!!!

BTW, thos unis sucked more *** than Keith Nichol. F'in stripes all over the f'in place. We looked like green and white f'in barcodes on the field.

Ash
11/30/2006, 11:59 PM
Great news!

As for him being ready to step in...tough call. The odds are maybe not, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Especially if it's a scaled down offense as seems to be the case this year. Who knows, he might surprise some people.

Also, it's not talked about alot on the boards, but the talking heads have made the occasional off-comment that the coaches are very impressed with the progress of the back ups we have.

Mebbe I is jes a glass half full kinda guy, though...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 12:03 AM
that thread is interesting for the history more than anything else. seems like every "can't miss" guy they've had has ended up being a bum.

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2006, 12:05 AM
Jeff Smoker was always my fav MSU QB.

Norm In Norman
12/1/2006, 12:06 AM
Do we not grow any QBs in oklahoma? I'd love to have a 4/5 star recruit that grew up wanting to play for Oklahoma. It seems safer that way.

picasso
12/1/2006, 12:08 AM
had to love Scott Skiles back in the day. he'd get a DUI and the next day score 43.

TheUnnamedSooner
12/1/2006, 12:08 AM

he just needs shoulder pads, that's all ;)

Crimson Kid
12/1/2006, 12:10 AM
this one made me laugh

Link to their site?

Crimson Kid
12/1/2006, 12:11 AM
Do we not grow any QBs in oklahoma? I'd love to have a 4/5 star recruit that grew up wanting to play for Oklahoma. It seems safer that way.

I know what you mean norm, but we'll still take him. ;)

TrophyCollector
12/1/2006, 12:12 AM

Unless it is Troy Aikman and you lose to Kansas.

soonerthanu
12/1/2006, 12:24 AM

link (http://www.wzzm13.com/sports/2006football/sidelines_player_1.aspx?aid=11382&sid=64425&bw=)
good thing he didnt want to play defense, he got rolled a couple times

King Crimson
12/1/2006, 12:28 AM

you mean like Sam Bradford? 4 stars (Scout), ranked #17 by position in the country.....compared to Nichol who is #21. let's not sell out Sam before he gets his shot.

OKC-SLC
12/1/2006, 12:31 AM
JW = pretty decent QB for an Oklahoma kid.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 12:32 AM
http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

OUstud
12/1/2006, 12:37 AM
So that BloomerSooner n00b was right...this is great news. Can't wait to see how he pans out.

Widescreen
12/1/2006, 01:32 AM
This is my favorite quote from that MSU link:

I don't think so. I guess you never really know though. I still won't believe that we lost Nichol until the LOI is signed in February.
I guess that means he'll continue in his denial when KN enrolls at OU and starts attending classes.

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 02:24 AM
How many of us seriously blamed all the kids that de-commited after Calvin left? On a side note, I like the fact that they keep thinking that Stoops is going to a NFL job soon. If he was, I think he would have done it by now.

He he! Recruiting Pipeline to Michigan now open!

Collier11
12/1/2006, 03:09 AM
Maybe this gives more credence that stoops may bring in Flynn, give nichol a year to redshirt and learn while we have a proven veteran for one year???

DeadSolidPerfect
12/1/2006, 06:48 AM
http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
Are all fans of land grant colleges equally delusional about the quality and attraction of their football programs?

swardboy
12/1/2006, 07:21 AM
So, Nichols, Bradford, Halzle all competing now. Wow, when have we ever had a three-way qb competition? :P

Newbomb Turk
12/1/2006, 07:25 AM
you mean like Sam Bradford? 4 stars (Scout), ranked #17 by position in the country.....compared to Nichol who is #21. let's not sell out Sam before he gets his shot.

absolutely!

Partial Qualifier
12/1/2006, 07:43 AM
Keith Nichol's official visit to East Lansing will come on the heels of a midweek visit to Oklahoma. Sooners head coach Bob Stoops was in the Nichol family's hometown of Lowell (Mich.) for an in-home visit Sunday night.

"It was a good visit," said Gary Nichol. "Bob Stoops is a good coach and a good man and we felt the same way about Josh Heupel."

Nichol remains committed to Michigan State and still plans on enrolling early. Mr. Nichol believes that people are making too much out of his son's decision to take an official visit to OU.

"We are not looking at this trip to Oklahoma any differently than the trips we have taken to Purdue, Iowa, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Michigan, or USC," said Gary Nichol. "We look at this as a fact-finding trip. When you use that term it sounds like you are trying to minimalize things and this is not a small thing, it is a big thing. But this trip is a fact-finding trip for Keith."

Wow. Wonder when that interview was done?

whatever.. way to go Bob & Josh :D

OU-HSV
12/1/2006, 07:55 AM
My favorite quote from that spartan messg. board is this one:

It has stupidity written all over it. You'd probably be #2 or #3 at MSU, but #1 at Oklahoma?

Their program must be heading downhill for that to be true.
I mean seriously..if trying to dog on our program makes their posters feel better about this situation...so be it I guess. Stoops and company can't help the fact that we impressed this kid more than their program. What a bunch of losers acting like that.

Okieflyer
12/1/2006, 08:13 AM
http://www.mlive.com/images/preps/grfb_preview_nichol_big.jpg

Already has the right colors on.

Sooner-N-KS
12/1/2006, 08:22 AM
http://www.mlive.com/images/preps/grfb_preview_nichol_big.jpg

Already has the right colors on.

Yeah, but it kinda scares me that he's wearing #7. :eek:

BIG_IKE
12/1/2006, 08:30 AM
Never go by looks...

Look at Colt McCoy.
This kid could be a stud. Although I must admit he looks like a candidate for the injured list.

guzziguy
12/1/2006, 08:39 AM
There's a bunch of great stuff in that thread. They even give a short list of line prospects we should look at.

The farked photos of our former QB who shall not be named were pretty good too. http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063866&postcount=159

TripleOption14
12/1/2006, 08:46 AM
I asked this on the recruiting board so.... say that the QB is squared away. Where does OU go from here as far as recruiting goes? The offensive side of the ball seems to be set so maybe safeties or LB's? Whatta think?

Okieflyer
12/1/2006, 08:54 AM
I think the MSU fans are getting ready to implode. Kind of like Neo when discovers he's actually in the the Matrix. :D

Mjcpr
12/1/2006, 08:56 AM
I'll feel a lot better after signing day. This is the guy who was a lifetime MSU fan, right? Hell, the new MSU coach was even in on the guy at Cincy so I'd say there's still a chance D'Antonio(sp?) can woo him back; I'm sure he isn't going to give up. Hopefully we'll get him.

Okieflyer
12/1/2006, 09:01 AM
I'll feel a lot better after signing day. This is the guy who was a lifetime MSU fan, right? Hell, the new MSU coach was even in on the guy at Cincy so I'd say there's still a chance D'Antonio(sp?) can woo him back; I'm sure he isn't going to give up. Hopefully we'll get him.
We won't lose him yet. It will be after all the QB's have committed somewhere else. Then he'll switch....

...nah, that kind of stuff doesn't really happen.

Newbomb Turk
12/1/2006, 09:03 AM
Well Okieflyer, hopefully this kids committment will be better than some of the Federal Government workers. ;)

Okieflyer
12/1/2006, 09:06 AM
Well Okieflyer, hopefully this kids committment will be better than some of the Federal Government workers. ;)

I would have come in, but I have to watch "unplanned, but wanted children".:D

I still don't get to do what I originally took the day off for.:mad:

Newbomb Turk
12/1/2006, 09:08 AM
I still don't get to do what I originally took the day off for.:mad:

since the kids are home, you can have them show you how to work the 360. :D

BTW - I know you are on pens and needles about the "3" - don't worry...I checked it for you.

Okieflyer
12/1/2006, 09:24 AM
since the kids are home, you can have them show you how to work the 360. :D

Thanks (sarcastic)

BTW - I know you are on pens and needles about the "3" - don't worry...I checked it for you.

Thanks (really)

http://www.manbottle.com/pictures/preph.jpg

Dood! I think you just killed this thread!:eek:

JiuJitsuSooner
12/1/2006, 09:39 AM
From the Spartan Board:
This is what ****es me off the most. Izzo took time out of his schedule - during basketball season - to make time for this kid.

Time to put Oklahoma on our f-ball schedule and put a hurtin' on this kid. Blitz every ****ing down!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is great stuff !!

Okieflyer
12/1/2006, 09:47 AM
Sorry, I had to go shovel some "Global warming" out of the drive so the wife could go to work.

Izo knows where most of the money is made. Even at Michigan State a "Basketball" school.

OU-HSV
12/1/2006, 09:51 AM
From the Spartan Board:This is what ****es me off the most. Izzo took time out of his schedule - during basketball season - to make time for this kid.

Time to put Oklahoma on our f-ball schedule and put a hurtin' on this kid. Blitz every ****ing down!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is great stuff !!
Whoever said that would never make it as a D-Coordinator :D

picasso
12/1/2006, 09:55 AM
we can't lose him if he's already in Norman and going to school in signing day.l

Mjcpr
12/1/2006, 10:18 AM
we can't lose him if he's already in Norman and going to school in signing day.l

Is he the spring guy? That would be even better!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 10:28 AM
i think that is the reason there is all this talk about him being #1 when he steps foot on campus. of course it will be a 3 way tie...

sooneron
12/1/2006, 10:35 AM
heh

Welllll, Bob Stoops is a ***** he's a big fat ***** he's the biggest ***** in the whole wide world...

MamaMia
12/1/2006, 10:43 AM
He does have a small torso. Maybe Schmidty can put some weight on his frame? They ought to have some of those kids come to my house for the summer. I'd bulk them up with some home cookin' and have them swimming laps to stay trim. My daughters could teach them several ballet and gymnastics moves to obtain some grace and dexterity for those sticky situations. :D

EstablishedSooner1967
12/1/2006, 10:45 AM
He choose OU over MSU... he found out MSU was recruiting him for Point Guard with Tom Izzo not QB...

Stoops said, play QB and and win the NC...

picasso
12/1/2006, 10:48 AM
Frank Rizzo? he owes me money!

stoopified
12/1/2006, 11:07 AM
IF he shows up for school in Januart,this could be a very entertaining QB battle with Halzle and Bradford.I also wonder if this means we are still after Brantley?IF the transfer rumors are true about Flynn from LSU coming to Norman the plot thickens even more.

One thought that has occurred to me concerning the QB battle next year is that NO TRUE FRESHMAN has ever won the staring job at the beginning of the year.Cale Gundy won the starting job from Steve Collins but halfway through the year(after the oSu game I believe).Other than that the only true frosh QB to be a starter was Holieway after Aikman broke his leg(ok,Aikman started the '84 KU game for injured D.Bradley) but otherwise NO true frosh starting QB.Freshmen were ineligible from '46(I think) till 1972(which is why Mildren did not play varsity as frosh but Kerry Jackson ('72 )did.In 2007,the odds or at least history says our starting QB will not be a freshman.

sooneron
12/1/2006, 11:21 AM
IF he shows up for school in Januart,this could be a very entertaining QB battle with Halzle and Bradford.I also wonder if this means we are still after Brantley?IF the transfer rumors are true about Flynn from LSU coming to Norman the plot thickens even more.

One thought that has occurred to me concerning the QB battle next year is that NO TRUE FRESHMAN has ever won the staring job at the beginning of the year.Cale Gundy won the starting job from Steve Collins but halfway through the year(after the oSu game I believe).Other than that the only true frosh QB to be a starter was Holieway after Aikman broke his leg(ok,Aikman started the '84 KU game for injured D.Bradley) but otherwise NO true frosh starting QB.Freshmen were ineligible from '46(I think) till 1972(which is why Mildren did not play varsity as frosh but Kerry Jackson ('72 )did.In 2007,the odds or at least history says our starting QB will not be a freshman.
Or you could say that there's a first time for everything. I think it will all pan out. I may have to book a ticket down there for the spring game. Crap, can't do that, baby due on the 9th of April.

Widescreen
12/1/2006, 11:46 AM
Crap, can't do that, baby due on the 9th of April.
Priorities, man. :D

FlatheadSooner
12/1/2006, 12:23 PM

Agree on Frosh not likely starting, but it will be nice to have the pantry full again.

85Sooner
12/1/2006, 12:43 PM

THEY LOST

badger
12/1/2006, 12:44 PM

"When this penguin's life was in danger, these wildlife experts turned to Dawn..."
:D

badger
12/1/2006, 12:56 PM
he's been commited for 2 years. i guess we now know how illinois fans feel about losing eric gordan. i guess the reason he went to oklahoma was for the car delerships.
Oh, they're trying to be FUNNY!
lol :pop:

jdsooner
12/1/2006, 12:58 PM
He will be in school in January. I am sure he enrolled for the spring while he was here.

TUSooner
12/1/2006, 01:00 PM
Hopefully he isn't nuts like the rest of our more recent blue chip QBs.
ehhh... good point, unfortunately

Widescreen
12/1/2006, 01:01 PM
That video is kinda funny. He mentions that he's got "several future teammates" on the other team. Did we recruit Muskegon pretty heavily? ;)

badger
12/1/2006, 01:10 PM
more fun:

Let's move on, and forget him. He's obviously got a strange agenda for himself. I hope his parents enjoy the fifteen hour drive to "lovely" Norman, Oklahoma.

And my opinion of Oklahoma's recruiting strategies has certainly changed - I had no idea that they made a habit of poaching other schools' verbal commitments.
we have too many stereotypes...

If KNichol wants to run the spread, and go to spend time in Norman, OK, he better learn tornado safety. Enjoy your time there.

To give Mich State some kudos, they have a very cool mascot...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RJoGDWgfZaI

OK2LA
12/1/2006, 01:18 PM

Zac Taylor . . . . ;)

badger
12/1/2006, 01:44 PM
zac taylor=3 stars
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=31522&sport=1

OK2LA
12/1/2006, 02:05 PM
zac taylor=3 stars
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=31522&sport=1

Thus the winky = = = =>;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 02:07 PM
didn't they poach one of our recruits that had verbaled? WR 4 or 5 years ago?

RedstickSooner
12/1/2006, 02:07 PM

There's always this guy:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=107509&Q_SEASON=2006

But I guess he wasn't a 4/5 star recruit - seemed to be one of them sleepers, or late bloomers, or somethin'.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 02:22 PM
didn't they poach one of our recruits that had verbaled? WR 4 or 5 years ago?

yes, your memory isn't fading. kyle brown. between him and donte nicholson it was driving people insane.

jk the sooner fan
12/1/2006, 02:24 PM
now would be a good time to schedule a home and home with MSU in the next few years.....just to rub salt in the wound! :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 02:27 PM
we might as well. i don't see us scheduling pac 10 teams any time in the near future...

soonerlaw
12/1/2006, 02:38 PM
I have small children and I can't get them around Keith enough." --Noel Dean

Interesting...

OhU1
12/1/2006, 02:38 PM
I want to hear the comments of the "Michigan State radio guy" that had the classic 15 minute melt down after the Notre Dame loss. "MAKE PLAYS!!!"

I call B.S. on the stat of benching only 240 yet being able to squat 500. Leg press maybe, squat - no.

Norm In Norman
12/1/2006, 02:46 PM
I'm not saying he'll be bad or anything, and I'm glad we got him, I'm just saying it seems like we've had a lot of QBs bail on us (um, I mean get kicked off the team). I wish we could get a trent smith or Rocky Calmus sort of guy that is going to do whatever it takes to help the team because nothing else has ever occurred to him except to play for OU.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 02:48 PM
trent smith? you are so getting negged for that.

Landthief 1972
12/1/2006, 02:53 PM
I hope his parents enjoy the fifteen hour drive to "lovely" Norman, Oklahoma.

Maybe he doesn't want to spend 9 months out of 12 in East Lansing trudging through 6 foot snow drifts, and the other 3 swatting mosquitoes the size of bats.

OUstudent4life
12/1/2006, 02:58 PM
I hope his parents enjoy the fifteen hour drive to "lovely" Norman, Oklahoma.

'cause, like, you know, it's illegal for airplanes to, like, land in Oklahoma, and stuff.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2006, 03:08 PM
Shmidt will probably have him up to 205 or so by the spring which is what they have been focusing on with Bradford...

That being said, seems the Mich State fanbase needs a hug from the Boise St. Bandit

Ash
12/1/2006, 03:53 PM
'cause, like, you know, it's illegal for airplanes to, like, land in Oklahoma, and stuff.

Why, here'n Okleehoma, we's jes done bawt us one of them thar horseless carriages. It's the durndest thang! Shee-ooot. Next thang ya know, them fellers will be makin' machines that fly!

<spits and resumes chewing on piece of straw>

Getem
12/1/2006, 04:33 PM
heh, Fact-Finding 101 at MSU:

Originally Posted by ajmsu77

Hi all...My friend is a reporter who covers the Oklahoma Sooners...She suggests that Stoops played Nichol in order to get more QB depth...I know, not a huge revelation...But my friend suggests that Sam Bradford (a top 20 recruit from just last year) is the true future of the Oklahoma Sooners and that Nichol is just insurance in case they have another Rhett Bomar incident in the future...Bomar, himself a top recruit, is expected to return to the team next year to battle Bradford, Joey Halzle (a top CC transfer) and incumbent Paul Thompson (might go back to wide receiver next year) for the starter's job...Unless Stoops recruited Nichol and felt all past bets are off now that they have the Lowell product in town, it sounds to me like Nichol has a long way to go to avoid riding the pine until his senior year...

I mean, at State he had Hoyer to worry about and thats it...Dixon was slated to be a career backup...At OU he has 2 other top 20 recruits, a top CC recruit, and last years incumbent qb to beat out...so that stuff about starting right away is bs...Nichol is likely to get red-shirted, not battle for a starter's job right away...

Anyway, thats what my friend came to me with...Hope it was insightful...

Beef
12/1/2006, 04:36 PM
Sweet! Thompson has another year of eligibility!!!

boomersooner28
12/1/2006, 04:37 PM
Heh...I just read that exact post...what a moran!!!!!

jdsooner
12/1/2006, 04:51 PM
By Blake Jackson
The Oklahoman

LOWELL, Mich. — Maybe it was the winter storm that made Keith Nichol feel at home in the Sooner State.

Maybe it was the similarities between Kevin Wilson’s offense and the one he’s been running up North.

Whatever the case, it was enough to sway the four-star, Lowell (Mich.) quarterback out of his commitment to Michigan State and into the Crimson and Cream. Nichol orally committed — this time to Oklahoma — Thursday during a blustery official visit to Norman.

"Keith was so impressed with the people and players and the environment at Oklahoma," said the player’s father Gary Nichol. "He just loved it here.”

Nichol had been committed to Michigan State since July 2005. But the recent firing of head coach John L. Smith and subsequent hiring of Cincinnati’s Mark Dantonio loosened the Spartans’ grasp on the dual-threat passer.

Dantonio’s first order of business as MSU head man: Call Nichol to make sure his commitment was still secure.

It was.

Until Thursday.

"(Dantonio) was fine with Keith’s decision and he appreciated the fact that Keith called and talked to him directly," said Gary Nichol. "He told us that if anything changed to give him a call back."

That doesn’t seem likely, as Nichol — a December graduate — plans to enroll at OU in January. He will be eligible for spring practices with the team.

Nichol’s commitment might be one of the fastest turnarounds for an Oklahoma prospect in years. It began in earnest Sunday, when Bob Stoops and Josh Heupel visited the Nichol’s home just hours removed from winning the Big 12 South title.

The quarterback and his family were impressed with the house call. Enough to schedule a somewhat impromptu official visit just three days later.

“It’s Keith saying, ‘You know what Dad? I like coach Stoops and I like coach Heupel and I would like to go see Oklahoma,’” Gary Nichol said Tuesday. “Then I’m faced with, ‘Son, I can’t help you or, Yep. Let’s go.’”

Gary Nichol said his son had no intention of committing to Oklahoma during his visit to Norman. But the longer he stayed, the more awestruck he became with the OU football program.

From the coaches to the players to the facilities. By the time the Nichol family left campus Thursday, Keith was a Sooner.

"He knew today that it was what he wanted," said Gary Nichol. "It was really about the people."

Nichol is listed at 6-foot-2 and 195 pounds. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.68 seconds. His skill set is slightly reminiscent of Rhett Bomar’s, in that Nichol is an excellent passer who can also run the ball effectively.

Unlike Bomar, Nichol is known for his smart decision-making both on and off the field. The two-time Michigan Player of the Year maintains a 3.36 GPA and scored 22 on his ACT.

“He’s the perfect fit for what Oklahoma needs,” said Rivals.com recruiting expert Jeremy Crabtree. “He’s a great leader. He’s football smart. He’s a good student. He does a lot of impressive things physically, and he’s been running the same type of offense as Kevin Wilson’s all through high school.”

That might be the biggest reason Stoops promised Nichol — according to the quarterback’s high school coach — that the Sooners weren’t going to recruit another passer this year.

Or next.

“Maybe he’s going to come in and be the heir apparent,” Crabtree said. “He’s certainly the type of player Oklahoma has been looking for.”

TMcGee86
12/1/2006, 04:56 PM
Interesting...

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I was like "whoa, TMI there buddy, T...M...I."

goingoneight
12/1/2006, 05:27 PM

Yeah, Jason White was from Tuttle, Texas...
Troy was from Henryetta, Texas...
Bradford is from Putnam City, Texas...

Damn :texan:'s... :D

Fraggle145
12/1/2006, 05:56 PM
That might be the biggest reason Stoops promised Nichol — according to the quarterback’s high school coach — that the Sooners weren’t going to recruit another passer this year.

Or next.

“Maybe he’s going to come in and be the heir apparent,” Crabtree said. “He’s certainly the type of player Oklahoma has been looking for.”

what does this do to the Matt Flynn Rumor? :pop:

michigan_man
12/1/2006, 06:17 PM
Hey - I'm the newest Sooner fan and I couldn't be more excited. I'm a Michigan State alumni and from Keith Nichol's hometown. You guys got a special player. I have a lot more info about him in the recruiting forum.

I was sad to see him leave MSU but I'm man enough to admit that it would have been even sadder to watch him get blown up by their anemic offensive line and sit around while they tried to build a team around him.

Oklahoma was the right choice - BOOMER SOONER!!!

Fraggle145
12/1/2006, 06:24 PM
Hey - I'm the newest Sooner fan and I couldn't be more excited. I'm a Michigan State alumni and from Keith Nichol's hometown. You guys got a special player. I have a lot more info about him in the recruiting forum.

I was sad to see him leave MSU but I'm man enough to admit that it would have been even sadder to watch him get blown up by their anemic offensive line and sit around while they tried to build a team around him.

Welcome to knowing what it feels like to win. :D

swardboy
12/1/2006, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the write-up in the recruiting thread. Stoops and company will take good care of your boy. Oklahoma is blessed to have stability in our head coach. And Heupel, as great as he was leading us to the National Championship, may prove even better as a coach. Keith is in good hands.

BoomerSooner247
12/1/2006, 08:52 PM
anyone want to summarize these 6 pages for me so i can get caught up?

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2006, 09:06 PM
The Kid from michigan is good and not an idiot

bbx4u
12/2/2006, 03:52 PM
First visit to this Sooner site - it's been fun reading the comments about your latest QB recruit. I can tell you that the news is all the talk of West Michigan, and a lot of folks are ****ed at the MSU fans for being ****ed at Keith Nichol. After all, the Spartans were the ones that fired the coach that nichol was going to play for! (Of course, that was deserved. Watching them lose to ND this year was enough to make you puke).

Coming from KN's archrival HS, I can tell you we're very happy to see him graduate! He is an all-around great kid - no flake. He has the requisite QB tools, and watching him beat our team the last few years - tough to take. He has terrific touch on his passes, and can fire it as well. Looks skinny, but plays strong, and once they get him on the special "diet" - I'm sure he'll put on the pounds. He led his team to the state title last year, and would have done the same this year, except Lowell lost to the eventual state champ with an unfortunate fumble late in their playoff game. He's pretty smart too, but with him leaving the state, the average IQ in both places has gone up! (Per my MSU buddies).

He is the real deal, whether he plays as a frosh is questionable (I think that's the case for any freshman) but you will be pleased with what you've got. All of West Michigan wishes him the best, and there will be more people around here following the Sooners than there has ever been. Who knows? Maybe OU and MSU will meet up in the BCS in the coming four years? THAT would be fun!

Fraggle145
12/2/2006, 03:58 PM
First visit to this Sooner site - it's been fun reading the comments about your latest QB recruit. I can tell you that the news is all the talk of West Michigan, and a lot of folks are ****ed at the MSU fans for being ****ed at Keith Nichol. After all, the Spartans were the ones that fired the coach that nichol was going to play for! (Of course, that was deserved. Watching them lose to ND this year was enough to make you puke).

Coming from KN's archrival HS, I can tell you we're very happy to see him graduate! He is an all-around great kid - no flake. He has the requisite QB tools, and watching him beat our team the last few years - tough to take. He has terrific touch on his passes, and can fire it as well. Looks skinny, but plays strong, and once they get him on the special "diet" - I'm sure he'll put on the pounds. He led his team to the state title last year, and would have done the same this year, except Lowell lost to the eventual state champ with an unfortunate fumble late in their playoff game. He's pretty smart too, but with him leaving the state, the average IQ in both places has gone up! (Per my MSU buddies).

He is the real deal, whether he plays as a frosh is questionable (I think that's the case for any freshman) but you will be pleased with what you've got. All of Sooners than there has ever been. Who knows? Maybe OU and MSU will meet up in the BCS in the coming four years? THAT would be fun!

Good to hear... I think you all got a little grwoing to do to get there, but if it worked out I wouldnt have any problem beating MSU in the BCS ;)

A new Soonerfan is born/made every minute! :pop:

jrsooner
12/2/2006, 04:01 PM
Who knows? Maybe OU and MSU will meet up in the BCS in the coming four years? THAT would be fun!Welcome to the board...
Doesn't that mean that MSU would actually have to make it to the BCS top tier bowls? :)

bbx4u
12/2/2006, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the board...
Doesn't that mean that MSU would actually have to make it to the BCS top tier bowls? :)
Yes, and since someone earlier said that you now have airplanes in Oklahoma, I assume the same is true of Arkansas - so that means pigs can fly - and MSU can reclaim a spot on top of the Big 10 and the BCS rankings. (Especially since they got rid of that loser QB and can focus on more important things - like beating Michigan...and Ohio State...and Notre Dame...etc.)

jrsooner
12/2/2006, 04:16 PM
(Especially since they got rid of that loser QB and can focus on more important things - like beating Michigan...and Ohio State...and Notre Dame...etc.)Hey! I was pulling for MSU in all the games except for Michigan. Have too many relatives that went to Michigan.

bbx4u
12/2/2006, 04:22 PM
Hey! I was pulling for MSU in all the games except for Michigan. Have too many relatives that went to Michigan.
Hey! My money's going to Ann Arbor - I have a daughter who's a senior there. I moved to Michigan after college (from Connecticut) so really have no allegiance to either school - it just seemed early on that the UM fans were overly arrogant (often referred to as the Arrogant Asses from Ann Arbor!)

tulsaoilerfan
12/2/2006, 05:10 PM
So to summarize, Bomar's coming back, Thompson gets a 6th year of eligibility, and we will have more QB's than we know what to do with? Whaddaya bet a couple of them will transfer?:D :D

tommieharris91
12/2/2006, 07:24 PM
Bomar?

bbx4u
12/5/2006, 05:45 PM
Bomar? SOONER!!

Beef
12/5/2006, 05:50 PM
SONAR!!
fixed

aultamerican
12/5/2006, 05:51 PM
6'2"...pretty short boys. RUN THE BALL

starrca23
12/5/2006, 05:53 PM
We should see if Josh Heupel has any eligibility left!

meoveryouxinfinity
12/5/2006, 06:53 PM
Speaking of Sam Bradford, Putnam City is not a city in Oklahoma or Texas.. it's a school district in OKC.

BASSooner
12/5/2006, 07:14 PM
Speaking of Sam Bradford, Putnam City is not a city in Oklahoma or Texas.. it's a school district in OKC.
i knew that and im from texas:D

CatfishSooner
12/5/2006, 07:34 PM
So Bomar is really coming back? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

magic33216
12/5/2006, 08:21 PM
Keith Nichol to recommit to MSU? Doubt it.

http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224335

Crazy Sooner
12/6/2006, 02:02 AM
Keith Nichol? He has no talent, but this guy does:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/kitty5.jpg

Boffingham
12/7/2006, 05:40 PM
He does have a small torso. Maybe Schmidty can put some weight on his frame? They ought to have some of those kids come to my house for the summer. I'd bulk them up with some home cookin' and have them swimming laps to stay trim. My daughters could teach them several ballet and gymnastics moves to obtain some grace and dexterity for those sticky situations. :D

That's not all your daughters could teach him. He needs to know these things going to college.

Ash
12/7/2006, 06:21 PM
Keith Nichol? He has no talent, but this guy does:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/kitty5.jpg

wow, suckiest troll since MrBabycakes crashed teh band thread.

:oink: SUCCS

birddog
12/10/2006, 02:30 AM
good article on nichol.

http://newsok.com/article/2983673

King Crimson
12/10/2006, 02:39 AM
good article on nichol.

http://newsok.com/article/2983673

that's nice.

goingoneight
12/10/2006, 03:31 AM
We should see if Josh Heupel has any eligibility left!

Why not? It's not like he's as old as Weinke was yet... :D

jrsooner
12/10/2006, 08:08 AM
Keith Nichol to recommit to MSU? Doubt it.
http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224335What's the latest on this? Has anyone heard anything reputable? Has he signed the dotted line yet with OU? Wasn't he going to go to OU in the spring? Has it been confirmed that he has enrolled?

OUmillenium
12/10/2006, 01:37 PM
"Long committed to Michigan State, a 57-mile drive from his Lowell, Mich., home, Nichol only considered looking around after Spartans coach John L. Smith was fired."

Wow, I thought Chuck was a coach now, didn't know he had eligibility left. Maybe he can get the Heisman this time?!

OUmillenium
12/10/2006, 01:42 PM
"You can’t pass it up as a quarterback, grow up dreaming up of that situation. There’s not a better spot in the country.”

Wow, who would of thought national QB recruits would have been talking OU up like this 10 years ago?

birddog
12/10/2006, 01:47 PM
i would have thought that we could have found a qb sooner than we did. i was starting to get nervous.

i hope this kid can ball.

bbx4u
12/11/2006, 04:41 PM
i would have thought that we could have found a qb sooner than we did. i was starting to get nervous.

i hope this kid can ball.

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised once you see him in spring practice. He can bring it!
MSU fans are unhappy for a reason!

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/11/2006, 05:02 PM
I think you will be very pleasantly surprised once you see him in spring practice. He can bring it!
MSU fans are unhappy for a reason!
They're unhappy cuz they're MSU fans!!! ;)