PDA

View Full Version : finance vs love

usmc-sooner
11/30/2006, 10:19 PM
I heard from an ole USMC buddy that I was real close too, back in the day.

He's married to girl (who I like), she's a really nice girl, very pretty, she loves her husband more than anything, but she's horrible with finances. He let's her handle the bills (why I don't know) Back when I was tight with him, it was problems with them being overdrawn all the time, bouncing checks and such.

Well I heard from him a few days ago and they fixed that problem but he told me they've run up a pretty big credit card debt/bill.

I ask him what the hell was she charging and he said mostly stuff for their kid.

Then he asked me something that caught me off guard. Did I think he should divorce her? I was kind of taken off guard. I mean, I went through a lot of crap with this guy and he's my boy, but I really like her, but I think she makes no effort in changing the way she deals with money.

Question is would you advise your friend to get a divorce over this? I'm not going to tell him either way but I can see both sides.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 10:29 PM
It's the cause of most divorces, man.

Here's what I'd advise:

Tell him they NEED to get a handle on their finances.

Cancel all the joint credit cards. Close them to future purchases. If she wants to charge stuff, then she needs to get her own card.

Keep separate checking accounts with a joint account to pay bills. Both of them pay a set figure each month into the joint account.

Get some marriage counseling.

usmc-sooner
11/30/2006, 10:41 PM
It's the cause of most divorces, man.

Here's what I'd advise:

Tell him they NEED to get a handle on their finances.

Cancel all the joint credit cards. Close them to future purchases. If she wants to charge stuff, then she needs to get her own card.

Keep separate checking accounts with a joint account to pay bills. Both of them pay a set figure each month into the joint account.

Get some marriage counseling.

but would you divorce over this? I'm almost leaning to yes but I've known them for a while.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 10:42 PM
No, I wouldn't. I'd sure as hell close all of our joint accounts, though.

Cam
11/30/2006, 10:43 PM
but would you divorce over this? I'm almost leaning to yes but I've known them for a while.
I'd suggest him to make an effort like mike states before divorce. My guess is that there's more to the question than just the money angle though.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 10:45 PM
I think you may be right, Cam, but then I think about all of the marriages I've seen end over crap like this when they could have just gotten some dang financial counseling.

Oldnslo
11/30/2006, 10:45 PM
love can't survive without respect.

counseling can work wonders, both credit counseling and marriage counseling. Dude and his wife need both.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 10:47 PM
love can't survive without respect.

counseling can work wonders, both credit counseling and marriage counseling. Dude and his wife need both.

Agreed.

Though stay away from those bogus places that try to "consolidate" all your bills and mess your credit up while taking 15% off the top. These people need budgeting advice.

Ike
11/30/2006, 10:54 PM
yup. financial problems can be sorted out. If he really loves her, money ain't worth divorce...even if they are over their heads in debt.

There aren't debtors prisons in this country anymore, and while it can be a tense situation, debt can be overcome with just a little bit of effort.

What I would tell him is this (assuming he is good with money): Take over managing the money. Take away the credit cards and give her a reasonable cash allowance for spending money. In the meantime, talk about it with her, and possibly with a marriage and/or financial counselor.

usmc-sooner
11/30/2006, 11:00 PM
my wife used to try to help her with crap like balancing their check book, she would tell me some horror stories.

One night we were standing duty, and she brought us a **** load of chinese food (after they were supposedly broke), I used to wonder back then.

OUinFLA
11/30/2006, 11:16 PM
Is she hawt?

this could affect my opinion.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 12:49 AM
you also need to do a little research before you send him off to do the counseling. there are a ton of places that prey on military families for stuff like this. in this months or last months money magazine they went into a lot of the financial schemes they use. they had a light bird colonel who was talked into a high commission tax deferred annuity for a roth ira. he ended up losing about 40% of his money when they got him into something that could grow.

HoustonStephen
12/1/2006, 09:47 AM
They should look into taking the "Total Money Makeover" classes offered by Dave Ramsey (www.daveramsey.com).

Very bueno. They have classes all over the place, churchs, military bases, etc.. Costs about $100 but I think its well worth it!

Listen to his radio show (might still be offered on his website as a stream) for 30 minutes, he'll get you pumped up about getting out of debt and getting on a financial plan. Really motivating guy.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/1/2006, 11:56 AM
Yep, me and the Mrs. along with some gumption and the help of the D. Ramsey program we paid off $102,000 in debt in 3 years. Love it! Good program. Credit Counselers are just like filing bankruptcy as far as lenders (like for a house) goes...

Almost totally debt free now...only a couple of years left on the house.

Osce0la
12/1/2006, 12:39 PM
I think you may be right, Cam, but then I think about all of the marriages I've seen end over crap like this when they could have just gotten some dang financial counseling.
This was going to be my suggestion. If everything else in the marriage is great, why get a divorce because of money?

poke4christ
12/1/2006, 01:33 PM
Dave Ramsey has single handedly saved not just families from financial doom, but marriages as well. Heck, if this family would truely make an effort toward financial and marriage success and they don't have the money for the program, I'd pay for it myself. Or at least make a contribution.

My other suggestion would be a recent series by Craig Groshel (pastor of Lifechurch.TV in Edmond, OKC, and Stillwater). It is called "Mind your own buisness" and it is a wonderful series. Here's a link. It's wonderful.

http://www.lifechurch.tv/Default.aspx/p/39?SermonID=73&CategoryID=5

Zach

poke4christ
12/1/2006, 01:36 PM
Yep, me and the Mrs. along with some gumption and the help of the D. Ramsey program we paid off $102,000 in debt in 3 years. Love it! Good program. Credit Counselers are just like filing bankruptcy as far as lenders (like for a house) goes...

Almost totally debt free now...only a couple of years left on the house.

Now that is a testiment to success. You get the super-sized gold star for the week! Congradulations man. Any tips to a 23 year-old who's about to finish college and enter the real world?

Zach

Mjcpr
12/1/2006, 01:39 PM
Now that is a testiment to success. You get the super-sized gold star for the week! Congradulations man. Any tips to a 23 year-old who's about to finish college and enter the real world?

Zach

1) Get a job that allows you to be able to pay of $102,000 in debt in 3 years.
2) ??

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 01:40 PM

Zach

Get a degree from a four-year college instead of OSU?

poke4christ
12/1/2006, 01:59 PM
1) Get a job that allows you to be able to pay of $102,000 in debt in 3 years.
2) ??

Depending on the house payment, you can probably still do that on as little (realativly little mind you) as 70,000 a year. It's all about perspective and standard of living. Several people raise families on teacher's salaries and do just fine. The major problem with the US is that people want to live about 15-20% beyond their means. A person making 30,000 a year will rake up 10,000 in debt and a person making 150,000 make rake up 100,000. It's all about perspective.

Zach

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 02:01 PM
Dude, I think you have an inflated idea of the earning power of a recent college graduate. Hell, my little brother just finished med school at Pitt and isn't making anywhere close to 70k a year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 02:03 PM
The major problem with the US is that people want to live about 15-20% beyond their means.

gah, not everyone in this thread drives a mercedes c class

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 02:05 PM
gah, not everyone in this thread drives a mercedes c class

C'mon, man, the C stands for "Cheap."

Plus I got it for around 7-8k off of MSRP.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 02:08 PM
sounds to me like C stands for "hot"

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 02:11 PM
Heh.

Nah, the wife of the dealership GM worked for me at the time and I've known them for years.

I didn't think 30k was that unreasonable for a car with all leather, a V-6, power everything, seat warmers, all-wheel-drive, and a bombsight on the front.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 02:12 PM
i want a gt 500 but my wife is pretty adamant that rainier will erupt before that happens...

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 02:13 PM
i want a gt 500 but my wife is pretty adamant that rainier will erupt before that happens...

So any day now then?

tbl
12/1/2006, 02:14 PM
I can't understand how divorce would even be considered in this situation... If he had a little scene control, this problem would have been taken care of years ago. Regardless, divorce is not the answer.

Ike
12/1/2006, 02:20 PM
Dude, I think you have an inflated idea of the earning power of a recent college graduate. Hell, my little brother just finished med school at Pitt and isn't making anywhere close to 70k a year.

well, those student loans are a bitch for med students.

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 02:35 PM
Yeah, Matt's going to have a tough time with those until his residency is over. He may have gotten a deferral for a few years, though.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/1/2006, 03:33 PM

Zach

First of all, LOVED Mjcpr's response. Funny!

Seriously, we cut back our expenses...

1. Don't go buying lots of stuff. You don't need it. Want it, maybe, need it - not likely.

2. We bought our house below what we would qualify for, well below. We didn't want to be house poor.

3. We got rid of credit cards. We haven't drunk the DR kool-aid, we still have 2, a joint card and each of us has our own personal card. We did kill about 5 cards off.

4. I drive a 15-year old car, Honda Accord, my wife drive s 10-year old Impala SS. No car payments = good. I am saving to pay cash for my next car. I will never buy a new car again, a 2-3 year-old car will be good for me.

5. As mjcrp says, get a job that you can pay off 100K debt, helps out. Lots going to savings now...3 months ago we lost the power to our house, cable failed and we upgraded the breaker box. About 7K total, we didn't fret, we just got the best bid and wrote the check, no worries. That was nice.

6. Live like no one else so you can live like no one else later...

7. As a recent grad, you'll want to get things. I know, I did...Just be careful what you buy and try to hold off untill you can pay cash for it. It will mean much more if you buy it outright rather than write a check every month to the credit card company.

The Mrs and I play a game on the road, its called, guess how big his car loan is...;)

poke4christ
12/1/2006, 03:43 PM

I wasn't talking about new grads there, I was talking about someone who needed to pay off 100,000 in dept. However, that pay would be very nice. As a Electircal Engineering grad, I might actually be able to get close to that :D.

THA, great tips. Thanks. I'm really shooting for things like that. I currently have no dept and and a few thousand in savings, so I think I'm on the right track. God Bless man.

Zach

TheHumanAlphabet
12/1/2006, 03:58 PM
I wasn't talking about new grads there, I was talking about someone who needed to pay off 100,000 in dept. However, that pay would be very nice. As a Electircal Engineering grad, I might actually be able to get close to that :D.

THA, great tips. Thanks. I'm really shooting for things like that. I currently have no dept and and a few thousand in savings, so I think I'm on the right track. God Bless man.

Zach

FYI...as a EE you'll do fine. I am an IE working for a top petroleum company in Houston. Its all about priorities. Not keeping up with the Joneses helps. The 100K debt didn't happen overnight, and it wasn't gotten rid of overnight. Surprisingly, most of that was credit card stuff and not paying attention.

If you get married, or about to, counsel with your wife on financial issues, just as important as religious/life counseling. Once we faced our debt, our communication and relationship got lots better.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2006, 04:03 PM
I hear the Meth Industry is reaping huge profits as well for paying off bills..

TheHumanAlphabet
12/1/2006, 04:47 PM
Doesn't do so much for looks, however...

http://www.co.multnomah.or.us/sheriff/faces_of_meth.htm