PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma on CNN's frontpage

Rhino
11/30/2006, 09:59 PM
Totally passed this semi on my way to work this morning (I-44 off-ramp south of 39th).

Univision was all over it at the time.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2667/cnnokcii3.jpg

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 10:09 PM
My goodness. You'd think that a dusting of snow was some catastrophe.

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 10:11 PM
It is here.

People freak out when this stuff hits here.

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 10:12 PM
no kidding

GottaHavePride
11/30/2006, 10:14 PM
Hell, I've driven all over town today. Only slid through one intersection, and that's because it was a tiny residential street and there was a nasty sheet of ice hiding under the snow. I just slid through the intersection and kept going - there wasn't another car anywhere around.

TopDaugIn2000
11/30/2006, 10:14 PM
I've stayed OFF THE ROADS today. I'm not gonna take any chances on taking out yet ANOTHER semi. no thanks.

anyone hear anything about that 10-semi pileup on I-40 west of OKC?

Rhino
11/30/2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the local news made it seem like the apocalypse this morning and it wasn't bad at all.

Come back from work was a bit tougher and slower, but it wasn't horrible. However, I'm sure the burbs are a bit of a different story.

Ike
11/30/2006, 10:33 PM
ya know, its funny. nobody (except maybe mountain-folk in small colorado towns, or folks living in rural north dakota or montana or something) knows how to drive on snow. When I was living in Oklahoma, people from places like Chicago and NY used to give me **** about how nobody here knew how to drive on snow. I hadn't ever been to those places during snowtime, so I couldn't really counter. now that I've lived up here in chicago for 4 years, I can say without a doubt that people here are just as bad at driving on snow. maybe even worse. The difference though is that up here they have a vast fleet of snow plows that disperse at the first hints of snow. You have to be one unlucky SOB to get caught on a road with much snow on it here. In OK, this isn't the case, and it can be days before your road gets plowed. That is where the difference is.

soonerboomer93
11/30/2006, 11:17 PM
We plow in colorado, but still on snow in a lot of areas. Snow's actually easy to drive in and I'd rather they didn't play. Ice is the bitch to drive on.

Ike
11/30/2006, 11:22 PM
We plow in colorado, but still on snow in a lot of areas. Snow's actually easy to drive in and I'd rather they didn't play. Ice is the bitch to drive on.

Yeah, I imagine that some places are just harder to get plows to there....and fresh snow, yeah, I agree with you. Snow thats been driven over for a couple of days however...then its more like ice in parts.
Apparently snow or ice just started coming down here, because I just heard the plow go by.

OUDoc
12/1/2006, 11:03 AM
That truck is still there. Jerk must be asleep in the back of the cab. :)

Rhino
12/1/2006, 11:28 AM
That truck is still there. Jerk must be asleep in the back of the cab. :) Ha! I was about to come post that.

OUstudent4life
12/1/2006, 11:31 AM
Driving wasn't too horrible...

though if those were the city's idea of "snow routes," I'd hate to see the other streets. 23rd was pretty nasty.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/1/2006, 11:42 AM
Dear God, thank you for letting me move to Houston...Amen

Jerk
12/1/2006, 01:16 PM
pfft.....

I'd at least crash into a truck stop where the commercial women are :texan:

btw- saw that wreck, too. I bet that driver puckered up so hard they had to pry the seat out of his arse.

GrapevineSooner
12/1/2006, 01:25 PM
The media in Dallas was the same way here.

I think every station devoted every second of airtime to covering the storm, which only forced me to slow down on a few bridges on my way home.

Otherwise, the roads were clear.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/1/2006, 01:34 PM
Okay, in Houston it was just cold...Teh TV was having live updates and such, then they showed rain in Dallas. Dumb stupid idots!!!

This is why I only watch TV news once or twice a week.

Osce0la
12/1/2006, 01:59 PM
We had a tornado warning a couple of counties over from me last night. Now it is just cold and windy with no snow...

mdklatt
12/1/2006, 01:59 PM
ya know, its funny. nobody (except maybe mountain-folk in small colorado towns, or folks living in rural north dakota or montana or something) knows how to drive on snow. When I was living in Oklahoma, people from places like Chicago and NY used to give me **** about how nobody here knew how to drive on snow. I hadn't ever been to those places during snowtime, so I couldn't really counter. now that I've lived up here in chicago for 4 years, I can say without a doubt that people here are just as bad at driving on snow. maybe even worse.

A few years ago we had a big ice storm just before Christmas, and I was driving to Dallas. Almost every car I saw in the median or off the side of the road along I-35 had Minnesota or Iowa license plates.

Norm In Norman
12/1/2006, 02:11 PM
My goodness. You'd think that a dusting of snow was some catastrophe.
Let's have some tornadoes in Alaska and see how the people there react.

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 02:12 PM
Let's have some tornadoes in Alaska and see how the people there react.

It'll probably get the same kind of coverage as when we have brushfires that are bigger than most of the states. Almost none.

Ike
12/1/2006, 02:17 PM
A few years ago we had a big ice storm just before Christmas, and I was driving to Dallas. Almost every car I saw in the median or off the side of the road along I-35 had Minnesota or Iowa license plates.

This is my point exactly. The northern idiots are, in my opinion, worse than southerners at driving on snow. Southerners at least KNOW that they suck at driving on snow and ice. Northerners like to think that because they get more of it that they are somehow better at it....and they are usually wrong.

WILBURJIM
12/1/2006, 03:07 PM
Ike, I have to agree with you somewhat. I don't think us northerners, as a whole, are any better at driving in the snow than southerners. Though,I don't think we are any worse, and by the end of winter, we are all retrained in driving in slippery conditions.

Generally, the snowplows hit the main roads during snowstorms here in Grand Rapids MI(downstream from your QB recruit) pretty quick, but it may take a day or two to get the side streets. A school like Lowell may close 4-5 times a year from snow, as they are on the outskirts of the county.

Lake effect snow squalls on a sunny afternoon is the most prettiest sight. :D

Sooner_Bob
12/1/2006, 03:19 PM
It'll probably get the same kind of coverage as when we have brushfires that are bigger than most of the states. Almost none.

I'm tellin' you, it's Frozen Sooner's fault.

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 03:24 PM
I'm tellin' you, it's Frozen Sooner's fault.

That guy probably makes both Smokey Bear AND that one Native American dude from the commercials cry by discarding lit cigarrette butts in piles of flammable litter.

Jerk
12/1/2006, 04:50 PM
oh...and another thing...

I don't drive no damned volvo.

That is all.