PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on Paul Thompson - DMN

booomer
11/30/2006, 07:55 PM
Oh, you? Sooners QB now has believers
Thompson has proven himself worthy of the faith OU placed in him

12:08 PM CST on Thursday, November 30, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

NORMAN, Okla. – Oklahoma coaches and players had no choice but to stand behind Paul Thompson when he was named the team's starting quarterback in the wake of Rhett Bomar's dismissal for violating NCAA rules.

The unified public display was nice. But prior to this season, Thompson had yet to perform at a high level.

Starting with the first August practice, Thompson slowly won over those who doubted he could lead OU to a championship. Now, the fifth-year senior is poised to take his place in Sooners lore alongside those who delivered titles and trophies.

"I think the guys definitely had confidence in me and believed in my ability," said Thompson, a Leander, Texas, native. "I didn't feel like I had anything to prove to them."

Thompson has thrown for 2,169 yards, 18 touchdowns and seven interceptions this season. His season yardage total is the eighth-best figure in school history. All of those numbers are better than those Bomar posted in 2005.

Coach Bob Stoops' demeanor in a team meeting Aug. 2 let everyone know how he felt about Thompson's abilities. It also set the tone for the whole season.

"We told the team immediately, 'Now, if you're looking for an excuse for our expectations to change, or that we're not going to have a chance to not win the Big 12 South, it will not be because of Paul Thompson,' " Stoops said.

"We felt he would do really well if the guys around him would help him."

Thompson seemed like he was trying to make a statement in the first practice on Aug. 3. Early in the first 11-on-11 scrimmage, Thompson uncorked a 50-yard pass to Malcolm Kelly. The players went wild, and fans nearby gave a thunderous ovation.

"Ever since two-a-days when Paul came out and threw that first pass, we've all been behind him," Kelly said.

Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said Thompson convinced the coaching staff he could handle the job in the second half against Washington on Sept. 9.

Thompson saw a Washington corner creep up to jam Kelly at the line of scrimmage. Without giving any signal, Thompson knew that Kelly would change his route and streak toward the end zone. Thompson threw a perfect pass for a 35-yard touchdown.

Wilson said the Washington game and Thompson's steady performance at Oregon (13-of-23, 174 yards, one touchdown) were strong indicators that OU's offense would be fine.

"In the game, when you put the lights on and it's for real and bullets are flying, some guys get a little out of sync," Wilson said. "I think it gave us and his teammates – the receivers – a shot of confidence that he could get the ball to them."

As the season wore on, Thompson grew comfortable with his role as a team leader. Thompson and other offensive players continued the weekly ritual of eating at Chili's on Thursdays, something former quarterback Jason White and his receivers did for years.

Thompson was also at ease with all the media demands. He emerged as a team spokesman and handled himself with aplomb at news conferences every Tuesday and Saturday after games.

He had only two courses this semester, which made it easier to juggle academics and athletics. Thompson will earn a communications degree in December.

"Paul's been here for a long time," sophomore receiver Juaquin Iglesias said. "He's done everything right, and he's never complained. That's all we talk about; the respect we have for Paul and everything he's done for this program."

Stoops opened up this week and reflected on what Thompson has meant to the OU program. He said Thompson, who lost the starting quarterback job in 2005 and moved to receiver, is an example for "all of young guys" to follow.

"So many guys quit, give up," Stoops said. "They want immediate gratification, and that's now the way of life. Things don't just come like that. You've got to work for them. ... Guys looking for the easy road end up quitting or leaving and end up trying to get it given to them somewhere else and don't get it there, either."

Thompson's storybook journey is not complete. He needs a win over No. 19 Nebraska to capture the Big 12 championship. As for what it would mean to him, Thompson just shrugs and acts as if it's no big deal.

"It's real gratifying to see how this team has come together," Thompson said. "This team is pretty young, and they're going to have this experience to relay down the next two or three years they're here."

E-mail [email protected] ([email protected])

PAUL THOMPSON'S SEASON SNAPSHOT

The highs: Completed 77.4 percent of his passes for 309 yards and two touchdowns in a 34-24 win against Texas Tech. Threw two touchdowns in a critical 26-10 win at Missouri.

The lows: Completed only three passes for 39 yards in a 17-16 win at Texas A&M. ... Threw a backward pass that Adrian Peterson couldn't catch, and Texas returned the fumble for a touchdown.
Spread it around: Malcolm Kelly has 851 receiving yards, but six others have touchdown catches.

IN THE RECORD BOOKS

How Paul Thompson ranks against OU's leaders in season passing yards and career passing yards:

SEASON PASSING

Player Year Total
1. Josh Heupel 1999 3,850
2. Jason White 2003 3,846
3. Josh Heupel 2000 3,606
8. Paul Thompson 2006 2,169

CAREER PASSING

Player Years Total
1. Jason White 1999-2004 7,922
2. Josh Heupel 1999-2000 7,456
3. Cale Gundy 1990-93 6,686
8. Paul Thompson 2002-present 2,597

SoOnEr_WiThIn
11/30/2006, 11:16 PM
Good Article!

OKC-SLC
12/1/2006, 12:38 AM
good kid. mvp if we win Saturday.

okieballin
12/1/2006, 08:42 AM
much luv for paul. win or lose the big 12 campionship.

BoomerJack
12/1/2006, 09:35 AM
good kid. mvp if we win Saturday.

I say he's the team's season MVP regardles of what happens tomorrow.

SoonerStormchaser
12/1/2006, 09:38 AM
[bull**** from article]"Threw a backward pass that Adrian Peterson couldn't catch, and Texas returned the fumble for a touchdown. "[/bull**** from article]

stoopified
12/1/2006, 11:27 AM
PT is THE MAN.

cjames317
12/1/2006, 12:23 PM
"So many guys quit, give up," Stoops said. "They want immediate gratification, and that's now the way of life. Things don't just come like that. You've got to work for them. ... Guys looking for the easy road end up quitting or leaving and end up trying to get it given to them somewhere else and don't get it there, either."

Hmmmmm, have we heard about that kind of player recently?

Remember Paul was in the same recruiting class, albeit not as hyped, as Vince Young and Reggie McNeal. I'm sure he thought he was just as good as those two and, when they took over as starting QBs for their teams, it would've been easy for Paul to start looking for somewhere else to shine.

But he didn't. He practiced, worked out, mopped up, sat out, competed, won out, lost out, learned, and became the rock upon which Stoops built this year's team and, I believe, a legacy for OUr future teams.

Sure, Vince made quite a mark on the horns' program, but do you believe that he made that team stronger this year, next year and so on? I don't.

Thanks Paul, NOW GO KICK SOME BUGEATER AZZZZ!

FlatheadSooner
12/1/2006, 12:28 PM

Hmmmmm, have we heard about that kind of player recently?

Remember Paul was in the same recruiting class, albeit not as hyped, as Vince Young and Reggie McNeal. I'm sure he thought he was just as good as those two and, when they took over as starting QBs for their teams, it would've been easy for Paul to start looking for somewhere else to shine.

But he didn't. He practiced, worked out, mopped up, sat out, competed, won out, lost out, learned, and became the rock upon which Stoops built this year's team and, I believe, a legacy for OUr future teams.

Sure, Vince made quite a mark on the horns' program, but do you believe that he made that team stronger this year, next year and so on? I don't.

Thanks Paul, NOW GO KICK SOME BUGEATER AZZZZ!

Well said.

Man, it would be so cool for him to have one of his best passing games against NU - especially since he is now getting his due of public recognition and working his way into the spotlight. Either way, he's given us a great ride this year!

Go Paul! :cool:

The_Red_Patriot
12/1/2006, 12:56 PM
Is there a statue of Paul Thompson in norman yet? heh

A sooner legend

BE LIKE PAUL THOMPSON TODAY

RedstickSooner
12/1/2006, 01:59 PM
"Now, if you're looking for an excuse for our expectations to change, or that we're not going to have a chance to not win the Big 12 South, it will not be because of Paul Thompson"

Honestly, I think almost *any* quarterback gave us at least a *chance* to not win the Big 12 South.

:D