PDA

View Full Version : Coach Joe Kines to Texas

Tidefan36854
11/30/2006, 05:23 PM
A mod on Tidefans just reported that Coach Joe Kines has just accepted the DC position at Texas. This particular mod usually only posts facts, but with all the wild rumors and speculation going on now, who knows for sure. I sure as hell hate to lose to CJK. I wish him the best of luck and can't blame him for moving on with uncertainty of his job. He is supposed to coach the Bowl game though.

jthomas666
11/30/2006, 05:43 PM
A mod on Tidefans just reported that Coach Joe Kines has just accepted the DC position at Texas. This particular mod usually only posts facts, but with all the wild rumors and speculation going on now, who knows for sure. I sure as hell hate to lose to CJK. I wish him the best of luck and can't blame him for moving on with uncertainty of his job. He is supposed to coach the Bowl game though.Yep, it's a done deal. I wish him the best, but I'm still not going to root for Texas. ;)

Partial Qualifier
11/30/2006, 05:43 PM
What can you tell us about Kines?

SoonerDood
11/30/2006, 06:27 PM
he was going to be the coach at OSU, but those non-farming Powers-that-be picked Bob Simmons instead.

stoopified
11/30/2006, 06:46 PM
Highly overrated as D coach if you look beyond just this season.Good hire UT,that is for OU fans,

bellefay1
11/30/2006, 06:54 PM
Highly overrated as D coach if you look beyond just this season.Good hire UT,that is for OU fans,

are you saying he's overrated but a good hire?

this year was one of bama's worst defensive performances statistically wise. 05/04 i believe they were top 10 in the nation in scoring and total defense, coming off of probation.

King Crimson
11/30/2006, 07:26 PM
i don't agree that he's overrated. i think it's a great hire for texas, and wish he'd gone someplace else.

DrZaius
11/30/2006, 07:36 PM
Yeah I have to agree with King on this one. For sure he is the best DC Bama has had for a long time. He gave us fits when the Sooners BEAT Bama.

BIG_IKE
11/30/2006, 07:39 PM
Well..at least they did not get Shannon...I was hoping they wouldnt get Kiens though. Anywho..here is his profile.

Joe Kines is currently in his fourth year as the Crimson Tide’s defensive coordinator and linebacker coach. He also serves as assistant head coach. Under his watchful eye, the Alabama defense finished the 2005 season ranked in the top nine in all five major statistical categories, one of only two defensive units in the country able to make such a claim. The Tide ranked first in scoring defense, second in total defense, fifth in pass defense and pass efficiency defense and ninth in rushing defense. For his efforts, Kines was named as one of six finalists for the Broyles Award, signifying the nation’s top assistant coach. He was also named the Rivals.com Coordinator of the Week following the Tide’s 31-3 win over the fifth-ranked Florida Gators. Alabama finished first nationally in pass defense and was second in total defense in 2004 and had a total of five defensive players selected to the All-SEC teams as Cornelius Wortham, DeMeco Ryans, Freddie Roach, Roman Harper and Wallace Gillberry made elite teams.

Overall Alabama ended the 2004 season ranked second in the country in total defense (245.5).

In 2003, the Bama defense produced four All-SEC players, including two first-teamers, Derrick Pope and Antwan Odom. DeMeco Ryans was a second-team pick while Juwan Simpson earned freshman All-SEC honors. Kines joined the Tide staff after three seasons as linebacker coach at Florida State. He previously served as defensive coordinator and linebacker coach at Alabama from 1985-86 under Ray Perkins. Kines is considered one of the top defensive minds in college football and he brings over 30 years of coaching experience to the Tide program. He also had head coaching experience, serving in that capacity at Arkansas in 1992. He joined the Florida State Seminoles in 2000. Kines moved to Tallahassee after a five-year stint at Georgia where he served as the Bulldogs’ defensive coordinator from 1995-98 and as assistant head coach in 1999. He also coached the defensive ends while at Georgia.

A 1967 graduate of Jacksonville State, Kines was a three-year letterman from 1963-65. He earned his master’s degree there and began his college coaching career at his alma mater in 1972. Kines served as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator for the Gamecocks through 1976.

Kines’ next coaching stop was at Clemson in 1977. He was the Tigers’ linebackers coach from 1977-78. Kines moved on to Florida in 1979 where he first served as linebacker coach for two seasons, and was elevated to defensive coordinator from 1981-84. He was named assistant head coach in 1984. In 1985 and 1986, Kines was the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Alabama before leaving with Perkins to the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He served as the Buc’s linebacker coach from 1987-90. Kines returned to college coaching in 1991 as the defensive coordinator at Arkansas and was promoted to head coach of the Razorbacks in 1992. He was Arkansas’ assistant head coach and defensive coordinator from 1993-94 before moving on to Georgia.

Kines and his wife, Rubye, have a daughter, Susan, and two grandchildren, Matthew and Joshua.

Born: July 13, 1944

Education:

1967 Jacksonville State
1972 Jacksonville State, Masters

Playing Experience:

1964-66 Jacksonville State

Coaching Experience:

2003-Present Alabama, Def. Coordinator/Linebackers/Asst. Head Coach
2000-02 Florida State, Linebackers
1995-99 Georgia, Defensive Coordinator/Asst. Head Coach
1993-94 Arkansas, Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator
1992 Arkansas, Head Coach
1991 Arkansas, Defensive Coordinator
1987-90 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Linebackers
1985-86 Alabama, Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers
1984 Florida, Asst. Head Coach
1981-84 Florida, Defensive Coordinator
1979-80 Florida, Linebackers
1977-78 Clemson, Linebackers
1974-76 Jacksonville State, Asst. Head Coach
1974-75 Jacksonville State, Defensive Coordinator
1972-73 Jacksonville State, Graduate Assistant
1967-71 High School Coach

Bowl Participation:

2006 Cotton Bowl
2004 Music City Bowl
2003 Sugar
2002 Orange
2002 Gator
2000 Outback
1998 Peach
1998 Outback
1995 Peach
1991 Independence
1986 Sun
1985 Aloha
1983 Gator
1982 Bluebonnet
1981 Peach
1980 Tangerine
1978 Gator
1977 Gator

BIG_IKE
11/30/2006, 07:41 PM
This dude has basically been the DC at Florida, Georgia, Bama, Arkansas..LB's at Flroida State..... HC at Arkansas and has some NFL under his belt. He seems like an experienced guy. Never heard of him before last year though.

SoonerMooner
11/30/2006, 07:41 PM
He's good, but IMHO Chizik was better.

Harry Beanbag
11/30/2006, 08:09 PM
I would rather have had Shannon go there. He'd be gone in a year to be a head coach somewhere and then they'd be replacing yet another DC. I don't know that Kines is a serious head coaching prospect anymore.

They were also apparently looking at Tenuta at Georgia Tech, who if you believe ESPN, is the greatest DC ever to walk the Earth. I don't really know that much about him.

AzianSooner
11/30/2006, 09:19 PM
Judging from the way Alabama defense SEC teams this year. I have no worry toward up comming year of RRS.

Tidefan36854
12/1/2006, 12:51 AM
Judging from the way Alabama defense SEC teams this year. I have no worry toward up comming year of RRS.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The "BEST DC EVER" Chizik's Defense gave up 45 points to K State. CJK is the ONLY reason we won 10 games last year. His defense held Florida and Tennessee to 3 points last year. CJK lost 8 seniors on defense from last year, and only has 2 seniors starting this year and still finished with the #3 defense in the SEC. CJK's defense has not gave up more than 28 points in a game in the last 3 seasons. He can flat out coach defense, and like I said, I hate to lose him. I really wish there was a way he could have stayed, but I can't blame him under the circumstances.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 12:53 AM
its still early with lots of teams looking for HCs

King Crimson
12/1/2006, 12:59 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The "BEST DC EVER" Chizik's Defense gave up 45 points to K State. CJK is the ONLY reason we won 10 games last year. His defense held Florida and Tennessee to 3 points last year. CJK lost 8 seniors on defense from last year, and only has 2 seniors starting this year and still finished with the #3 defense in the SEC. CJK's defense has not gave up more than 28 points in a game in the last 3 seasons. He can flat out coach defense, and like I said, I hate to lose him. I really wish there was a way he could have stayed, but I can't blame him under the circumstances.

this is about what i saw out of Kines. agree 100% 36854.

Fraggle145
12/1/2006, 02:46 AM

exactly... I am so tired of DC's from the state of Alabama. This is NOT good for OU. maybe next year while they are getting organized, but after that... I just am not happy about this.

Tidefan36854
12/1/2006, 09:00 AM
exactly... I am so tired of DC's from the state of Alabama. This is NOT good for OU. maybe next year while they are getting organized, but after that... I just am not happy about this.

Being a "Sooner sympathizer" myself, I was thinking the same thing. I hate that he's going to one your biggest rivals. Maybe something will change and our new coach (if they ever name one!) will try to keep him, but the insiders are acting like its a truly a done deal.

LSUdeek
12/1/2006, 09:25 AM
CJK's defense has not gave up more than 28 points in a game in the last 3 seasons.

LSU and Auburn apologize. BTW, we were 3 or so yards from 35, unless you forgot.

hogsone
12/1/2006, 12:04 PM
I hate to see him go to Texass, he is one of the top DC in the country.

sooneron
12/1/2006, 12:10 PM
He's pretty darn good. Hopefully, the D will need a year to adjust to his system (unless it mirrors Gene's). What is the ut D looking like next year? Will the secondary be improved, if at all?

BIG_IKE
12/1/2006, 02:01 PM
He's pretty darn good. Hopefully, the D will need a year to adjust to his system (unless it mirrors Gene's). What is the ut D looking like next year? Will the secondary be improved, if at all?

CROWDER: NFL
OKAM: Returns
MILLER: Returns
ROBISON: NFL
KILLEBREW: Returns
BOBINO: Returns
DERRY: Returns
KELSON: Returns
Ma. GRIFFIN: Returns
Mi. Griffin: NFL
ROSS: NFL
Brown: Graduates
ORAKPO: Returns
KINDLE: Returns
LOKEY: Returns

Most of the secondary leaves, but they have one of the Griffin twins and some backups returning.

All the LB's will be back. Starters and Reserves.
Both starting ends leave, but two solid backups return.
All the Defensive Tackles return.

caphorns
12/1/2006, 02:18 PM
As much as I'd like for this to turn out, this is just a rumor according to most Texas sources. I think its very possible he was hired but they want to keep a lid on things until after the Bowl game (where Kines is serving as interim head coach). But the story from the Texas sites is that Kines is still out recruiting this week for Bama and telling recruits he plans on staying.

jthomas666
12/1/2006, 05:30 PM
What can you tell us about Kines?Very good schemer--he did a lot this year to mask problems stemming from a lack of experience. This year he ran a lot of 3-3-4, with mixed results (though I think the mixed results were due to a lack of commitment to the weight room on the part of the DL. Does not blitz a lot, but when he does, he's not afraid to bring the house. Some folks from FSU have reported that his LBs generally don't do well in pass coverage, but I never really saw that while he was at Bama.

jthomas666
12/1/2006, 05:32 PM
are you saying he's overrated but a good hire?

this year was one of bama's worst defensive performances statistically wise. 05/04 i believe they were top 10 in the nation in scoring and total defense, coming off of probation.Our problem this year wasn't so much probation as it was the fact that 5 starters from last year got drafted, including Demeco Ryans, who is leading the NFL in solo tackles thus far, and Mark Anderson, who's third in the league in sacks.

Fraggle145
12/1/2006, 05:51 PM
CROWDER: NFL
OKAM: Returns
MILLER: Returns
ROBISON: NFL
KILLEBREW: Returns
BOBINO: Returns
DERRY: Returns
KELSON: Returns
Ma. GRIFFIN: Returns
Mi. Griffin: NFL
ROSS: NFL
Brown: Graduates
ORAKPO: Returns
KINDLE: Returns
LOKEY: Returns

Most of the secondary leaves, but they have one of the Griffin twins and some backups returning.

All the LB's will be back. Starters and Reserves.
Both starting ends leave, but two solid backups return.
All the Defensive Tackles return.

You dont think that Okam will leave early? :pop:

Harry Beanbag
12/1/2006, 08:54 PM
This year he ran a lot of 3-3-4, with mixed results (though I think the mixed results were due to a lack of commitment to the weight room on the part of the DL.

You'd probably have better results if you used 11 guys on defense. ;)

Harry Beanbag
12/1/2006, 08:54 PM
Our problem this year wasn't so much probation as it was the fact that 5 starters from last year got drafted, including Demeco Ryans, who is leading the NFL in solo tackles thus far, and Mark Anderson, who's third in the league in sacks.

Mark Anderson is a stud.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/2/2006, 01:19 AM
I was a student at Arkansas when Kines took over the Razorbacks after Jack Crowe was shown the door the day after losing the '92 season opener to The Citadel. The next week, they lambasted South Carolina 45-7. Kines' Hogs also went to Neyland Stadium and knocked off then-undefeated Tennessee on a last-second field goal. They won only three games that whole season, but a lot of Razorback fans were hoping that he would get the job on a permanent basis. However, when Kines brought in Danny Ford as a "consultant" midway through that season, Frank Broyles had to have him. Big mistake in retrospect, as Ford turned out to be Arkansas' version of Howard ***************, only with a little more success ('95 SEC West champions) and a lot more staying power (five seasons).
I've always thought that Kines was a good guy, even rooted for him at FSU and Bama, but now that he's going to put on the burnt orange, he's going to be a lot less likable.

roll2tide
12/2/2006, 02:52 AM
You'd probably have better results if you used 11 guys on defense. ;)

Dammit man, why didn't someone tell us sooner? :)

jthomas666
12/2/2006, 08:22 AM
You'd probably have better results if you used 11 guys on defense. ;)Oops! :O Of course, given the play at RT, we might as well have played 10 guys on offense . . .