PDA

View Full Version : How is the team getting to KC? Will the weather affect the game time?

SoonerShark
11/30/2006, 05:10 PM
How is the team getting to KC? Hurricanes in the past have changed game days and times, with ABC broadcasting the game on the new date. What if the roads continue to be impassable due to the late Fall "winter" storm? In 2004, Hurricane Frances caused Miami and FSU to change the game's date and time until 4 days later. ABC broadcast the game on the new date and time.

The safety of anyone in the path of the storm was cited as a reason to change the game's date and time. Of course, the Big XII probably has no such concerns since all of the tickets are sold and they failed to recognize that December in Missouri might bring three games out of four in KC with crummy weather, this years game being the only one with certifiably dangerous weather conditions.

Jimminy Crimson
11/30/2006, 05:19 PM
All it will do is increase the possibility of the game being played in Houston or San Antonio or St. Louis in the future.

mrowl
11/30/2006, 05:24 PM
they should base it at the new Jerry World for good in 2009

- a $650M retractable dome
- 400 suites
- up to 100,000 capacity
- 2 local airports
- 100,000 hotel rooms

SoonerShark
11/30/2006, 05:26 PM
All it will do is increase the possibility of the game being played in Houston or San Antonio or St. Louis in the future.

But that would be too sensible. Is there any stadium located between the multiple teams in Texas and the Big XII north area that holds 84,000 or so folks? Dome us, Gaylords!

cvsooner
11/30/2006, 05:27 PM
How is the team getting to KC? Hurricanes in the past have changed game days and times, with ABC broadcasting the game on the new date. What if the roads continue to be impassable due to the late Fall "winter" storm? In 2004, Hurricane Frances caused Miami and FSU to change the game's date and time until 4 days later. ABC broadcast the game on the new date and time.

The safety of anyone in the path of the storm was cited as a reason to change the game's date and time. Of course, the Big XII probably has no such concerns since all of the tickets are sold and they failed to recognize that December in Missouri might bring three games out of four in KC with crummy weather, this years game being the only one with certifiably dangerous weather conditions.

OU's media office says team is flying out Friday on charter aircraft.

Huskers are taking a bus. Heh.

SoonerShark
11/30/2006, 05:30 PM
I have been hacked off about KC for years, both in football and basketball. It was too big an advantage for Missouri and KU in basketball, it was too nasty as to weather for football, although in 2004 it was not that bad, but that is only 25% of the games hosted.

Again, what happens if it is too icy to get there? What should happen, which may be another question?

Fraggle145
11/30/2006, 05:33 PM
But that would be too sensible. Is there any stadium located between the multiple teams in Texas and the Big XII north area that holds 84,000 or so folks? Dome us, Gaylords!

HELL NO. NO DOME. I HATE DOMED FOOTBALL. Weather happens. While I think they could have chosen a better venue since it is the championship I think football is made to be played outside.

Blues1
11/30/2006, 05:33 PM
I have been hacked off about KC for years, both in football and basketball. It was too big an advantage for Missouri and KU in basketball, it was too nasty as to weather for football, although in 2004 it was not that bad, but that is only 25% of the games hosted.

Again, what happens if it is too icy to get there? What should happen, which may be another question?

Screw KC......Never go there Again....!!
Please...!1

GottaHavePride
11/30/2006, 05:42 PM

Hey, if the teams and camera crews can make it, game on. "icy roads" doesn't affect field condition. ;)

auto
11/30/2006, 05:58 PM
HELL NO. NO DOME. I HATE DOMED FOOTBALL. Weather happens. While I think they could have chosen a better venue since it is the championship I think football is made to be played outside.

Exactly the pussification of ball. That is the reason for the Cotton not having a BCS bowl????? Because it could be too cold, my God:mad:

I grew up in Alaska, we had recess outside until it was -20 below zero and they never canceled school. Now football can't be played when it's 20 degrees, pure horse shiaaaaat.

TexasSooner01
11/30/2006, 06:01 PM
:les: MOVE IT TO HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That way I would not have to travel to see the Game! ;)

Blues1
11/30/2006, 06:09 PM
Exactly the pussification of ball. That is the reason for the Cotton not having a BCS bowl????? Because it could be too cold, my God:mad:

I grew up in Alaska, we had recess outside until it was -20 below zero and they never canceled school. Now football can't be played when it's 20 degrees, pure horse shiaaaaat.

And since when does Alaska U have a College Football team...??? -- :)

Lets get Hawaii in "The Big 13" and forget all these stupid games in Kansas City.....They ain't stupid in Hawaii they have their OWN Bowl Game....Can you see Hawaii coming over here to play in KC in December.. - :eek:
I don't think so.....!!!

Jimminy Crimson
11/30/2006, 06:10 PM
Even though we'd be guaranteed this type of weather, I'd like to play it in Denver sometime.

SoonerShark
11/30/2006, 06:59 PM

The best thing about playing in KC is that it is exactly the type of weather that we will experience in Miami, Phoenix, Pasadena and New Orleans in championship games. A Big XII team that plays better in cold weather gets to experience the frigid climate of the aforementioned Bowl cities as the limbs of USC and LSU players are stiffened by the southern chill. It is a question of competition on a national level. A cold weather team who failed to make the Big XII Championship game, Nebraska, fared equally well against Miami in the 2001 National Championship game in arctic Pasadena.

SoonerShark
11/30/2006, 07:02 PM
:les: MOVE IT TO HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That way I would not have to travel to see the Game! ;)

That would be great. Two airports. Many rooms to rent. Game played after hurricane season. Climate much like the championship game and other larger bowl's cities.

SoonerStormchaser
11/30/2006, 07:48 PM
San Antonio wouldn't be a bad option either...

Aww hell, can't we just host it in Austin every year we're playing in it just to rub it in the whorns' faces?

StoopTroup
11/30/2006, 07:52 PM
I hope we don't become Labeled as Jerry's kids....it suits the whorns much better.

they should base it at the new Jerry World for good in 2009

- a $650M retractable dome
- 400 suites
- up to 100,000 capacity
- 2 local airports
- 100,000 hotel rooms

proudsoonergal
12/1/2006, 12:26 AM
San Antonio wouldn't be a bad option either...

Aww hell, can't we just host it in Austin every year we're playing in it just to rub it in the whorns' faces?

I like BOTH of those ideas. :)

proudsoonergal
12/1/2006, 12:27 AM
The best thing about playing in KC is that it is exactly the type of weather that we will experience in Miami, Phoenix, Pasadena and New Orleans in championship games. A Big XII team that plays better in cold weather gets to experience the frigid climate of the aforementioned Bowl cities as the limbs of USC and LSU players are stiffened by the southern chill. It is a question of competition on a national level. A cold weather team who failed to make the Big XII Championship game, Nebraska, fared equally well against Miami in the 2001 National Championship game in arctic Pasadena.

Is it really that much colder in Baton Rouge than the dome in New Orleans? :pop:

sOUnd
12/1/2006, 12:35 AM
You know how it is. Even the worst snow storms I've seen in Oklahoma or Missouri; once traffic starts getting out on the roads they start to clear. A high of 28 Friday, and 30 Saturday, will be enough with the traffic to turn that stuff to slosh. Just be careful late at night, early morning, and overpasses.

Let's play ball!