PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry based on.... respect??

Partial Qualifier
11/30/2006, 04:52 PM
I've been hearing this alot this week: "OU/TX rivalry is based on hate; OU-NU is based on RESPECT."

....BULL****.

Indeed I respect the 'Huskers but the rivarly was based on "Winner goes to the Orange Bowl; loser goes to the Craphole Bowl". And that's IT.

It's not like we were always in awe of Kingdom Corn, right? Husker & Sooner fans may've had some mutual admiration society going on but only because the demographics of Nebraska and Oklahoma were pretty similiar. We're alot alike, so we tend to get along.

Anyway. I always hated the Huskers because they were OU's public enemy #1.... BUT, their fans are easy to get along with. I respect their fans but I don't feel like the rivalry was ever based on respect.

Octavian
11/30/2006, 05:03 PM
Switzer had great deal of respect for Osborne and always liked Devaney too (he felt comfortable enough to crash his TV show w/ a bag of tacos in '80).

Other than OU and Nebraska just being the two big kids on the block and being involved in some of the best high-stakes clashes in history, I think that had a lot to do w/ it.

There was never an outward sense of hostility between the leaders of the two programs the way there was between Switz and Royal or Jimmy Johnson.

The fanbases just seemed to follow.

...of course...we couldn't interact with each other over the internet in those days either.

44BluesExplosion
11/30/2006, 05:10 PM
The OU/Nebraska rivalry is based on respect. Respect between the players and coaches. Proof is in the pudding too... Go back and look at some of the great games we've had through the decades and watch the players help each other up and slap each other's helmets. You don't see that in the Cotton bowl in October as the Texas rivaly is a completely different emotion.

Where does this respect come from? Similar expectations and similar means...

In my opinion, the fan perception of the game means nothing...

Fraggle145
11/30/2006, 05:15 PM
I personally think it is a respect rivalry as well. The reason why I hate Billy boy the most (besides saying we r f'n hillbillies and the throat slash crap) is that Nebraska should never have a coach like that representing their university. 44Blues is right the players act differently towards eachother too...

Partial Qualifier
11/30/2006, 05:26 PM
In my opinion, the fan perception of the game means nothing...

but you're an ex-player. And as always I appreciate your insight.

I get tired of people making it sound like "Texas is a rival because we hate each other but Nebraska was a rivalry built on love & respect for one another.." strictly from a fan's (my) perspective, it's b.s.

I respect Nebraska football and I'm glad the players respect each other, but when it comes down to it I just wanted OU to kick their asses all over the field and my respect for them & their fans was a secondary thing. Hardly the basis for the rivalry.

mightysooner
11/30/2006, 06:26 PM
I don't know how old you are rival but the OU/NU rivalry has always been based on mutual respect and admiration. I grew up watching OU and NU square off on thanksgiving day every year and it was always a battle where both sides were in awe of each other's ability and that's the impression that remains with me. Growing up there was only one team in college football that gave me butterflies in my stomach on game day every year and it wasn't Texas, it was Nebraska.

Also, I've hung out and had a beer or two with Nebraska fans and I think that the mutual admiration stems from the fact that they're really not much different that the Sooner nation in terms of unwavering support and love of their program, the game, and an appreciation for a "worthy adversary" which NU has traditionally always been. NU fans are a class act and I enjoy hanging out with them and talking about football for their equal knowledge and respect for tradition. I raise a toast them and their program now and always. That's what it's all about.

Scott D
11/30/2006, 06:28 PM
I respect everything about Nebraska except the bespectacled buffoon wearing a headset and bearing an irish surname.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 06:33 PM
i respected them until the innerweb

crawfish
11/30/2006, 06:58 PM
i respected them until the innerweb

I respected us until the innerweb. :cool:

BigRedTradition
11/30/2006, 08:45 PM
“A lot of great memories with Barry over the years. The thing I always appreciated about our relationship is that it was always amicable no matter the circumstances. You see so many rivalries like Ohio State-Michigan and Florida-Florida State get nasty. This one was never that way.”

---Tom Osborne :cool:

yermom
11/30/2006, 09:12 PM
yeah, until Callenburger "had it up to here" ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 09:13 PM
I respected us until the innerweb. :cool:

:les: IT'S NOT OUR FAULT YOU STARTED OUT ON SOONERTIMES

tbl
11/30/2006, 09:47 PM
It's not based on respect, but respect is a vital part of it that differentiates it from other rivalries out there (including ours with saxeT). It's based on two good teams playing every year and each team wanting to win to further themselves. I can pull for Nebraska outside of our game together. I cannot do the same with saxeT. They're both rivalries, but I think saxeT fits in with the other rivalries out there, in the sense that there is some hate going on before and after the game, and basically throughout the year in each sport we play them.

StoopTroup
11/30/2006, 09:51 PM
The move from Big 8 to Big XII changed the OU/Neb rivalry IMO.

It increased the RRSO.

Nebbishka is going to be The Norths toughest Team for quite a while from what I see going on.

Hate, Respect...

I don't hate the Nebbishka people...most of them are great fans.

The whorns are bitter rivals. Always will be.

AzianSooner
11/30/2006, 10:06 PM
in the 80s every loves to be a rivalry with OU and if they can't beat Switzer, they hate him.

or so I was told.

MamaMia
11/30/2006, 10:40 PM
Their head coach respects all of us f'in hillbillies so much that I shall refrain from throwing "fruit" at his players. ;)

tbl
12/1/2006, 12:21 AM
So will we throw tortilla chips at him this year? Maybe handfuls of pico de gallo?

Mile High Sooner
12/1/2006, 12:34 AM
Their head coach respects all of us f'in hillbillies so much that I shall refrain from throwing "fruit" at his players. ;)
Toss a Sombrero instead :pop:

Partial Qualifier
12/1/2006, 07:23 AM
It's not based on respect, but respect is a vital part of it that differentiates it from other rivalries out there (including ours with saxeT). It's based on two good teams playing every year and each team wanting to win to further themselves.

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm saying.

Sure the rivalry is full of mutual respect, but the rivalry isn't BASED on respect.

for example, I respect & admire the **** out of what KSU did under snyder but we don't have a rivalry based on respect with them.

Texas is different - generally speaking, Sooner fans hate them so much we'd have a hate-based rivalry whether we were competitive with them or not

The rivalry between OU & NU didn't start because we "respect the heck out of each other" -- in fact, that sounds a tad gay if I may be so bold :)

crawfish
12/1/2006, 09:05 AM
:les: IT'S NOT OUR FAULT YOU STARTED OUT ON SOONERTIMES

Heh. I started out on the first OU message board EVAR on the innerwebs. So old, I can't even remember the name. :D

I've seen the evolution of bad message board behavior.

Sco
12/1/2006, 10:32 AM
And I love that the OSU "rivalry" isn't even mentioned.

"But guys! They're so super-cereal about playing! T. Boone Piddle said so!!!"

FourKings
12/1/2006, 10:38 AM
The Husker game has always been "the one" for us, and I have always looked forward to this game more than any other, Neb has been a winner, tough to beat, and if we beat them, oranges, it meant the season for us, bottom line. We could always recover from the Tex game, not Neb, we lose that one, and the season was basically over, no orange, no title, big difference. Old school man...like me lol.
Tex just sucks, thier fans are arrogant as hell, for whatever reason I still dont get. I have been to 10 games against them, 4 with Neb and not one time have I had a prollem with Husker fans, not once, home or away. Tex, please, trash talkin hate filled garbage, whether they win or lose!
When an OU player has made a great play, I have actually heard and seen Husker fans clapping, thats respect to me, and you can actually have a football conversation with them without a name being called.
A rivalry based on competition, achievement and admiration, and I like that!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2006, 10:44 AM
Heh. I started out on the first OU message board EVAR on the innerwebs. So old, I can't even remember the name. :D

I've seen the evolution of bad message board behavior.

no unofficial chat for you

tigepilot
12/1/2006, 10:46 AM
I also grew up watching this great rivalry on Thanksgiving weekend as an OU fan and had respect for their coach (in those days) and their program. Later on I went to the OU-Nebraska game in the 90s when Blake lost by something like 60 points at home... devastating and embarassing. EVERY Husker fan I ran into that day had nothing but encouraging words about how OU would be back and how they were looking forward to it so now I have a lot of respect for their fans too.

I know that other programs have fans that are good people too but I never see them on game day!

stoopified
12/1/2006, 12:06 PM
I get tired of people making it sound like "Texas is a rival because we hate each other but Nebraska was a rivalry built on love & respect for one another.."

[/QUOTE]Respect is one thing but NOBODY said anything about love.If no-class Callahan stays with the Children of the Corn much longer the respect my vanish.

daveNnorman
12/1/2006, 05:34 PM
I have allways looked forward to games w/ nebraska, it will be a great game.