PDA

View Full Version : This should be on the FB board but...

Okla-homey
11/30/2006, 03:20 PM
its gotten kinda, well, odd over there.

Here's my question and I expect my SO brethren and sistern can handle this.

WTF does this horrid weather do to the practice schedule/location?

Do they practice indoors, or will they be out "in it," so to speak, this afternoon?

I'll hang up and listen.

Mjcpr
11/30/2006, 03:22 PM
I would think this is exactly the reason they built the indoor practice facility.

Fugue
11/30/2006, 03:23 PM
Are they still in Norman?

Okla-homey
11/30/2006, 03:23 PM
yeah, but, what about the cold-weather aclimitization angle?

royalfan5
11/30/2006, 03:31 PM
I know Nebraska is practicing indoors. I think the injury prevention angle is probably more important than cold acclimation. You don't want to risk injuries in the cold and snow before you need too.

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 03:31 PM
hell, they can open up those big ol' rolling doors on the indoor practice facility if they want cold, but I don't thi nk they'll be practicing outside.

StoopTroup
11/30/2006, 03:36 PM
Corn on the cob tonight for Dinner?

tbl
11/30/2006, 03:47 PM
As somebody that has never played competitive sports in the cold, I'm not qualified at all... but I would think it would be better to practice outside and get used to it. However, nothing really prepares you for it. Cold is cold, and slick is slick. Not much you can really do to adjust.

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 03:50 PM
oh i agree it's probably good to practice in the cold, but righ tnow their practice field is probably covered in ice and snow...

royalfan5
11/30/2006, 04:08 PM
As somebody that has never played competitive sports in the cold, I'm not qualified at all... but I would think it would be better to practice outside and get used to it. However, nothing really prepares you for it. Cold is cold, and slick is slick. Not much you can really do to adjust.
As some one that has played sports in the cold. I always got used to it pretty quick. The cold is the worst for the guys who don't see the field.

slickdawg
11/30/2006, 04:25 PM
With a wet field, covered with ice, I wouldn't risk ACL's and ankles to practice in it. Stay indoors, walk through the stadium Friday, and play Saturday.

Ike
11/30/2006, 04:26 PM
As some one that has played sports in the cold. I always got used to it pretty quick. The cold is the worst for the guys who don't see the field.

yup. on cold days the benchwarmers are just itching to get in the game, cause it means they'll get to move around and warm up.

royalfan5
11/30/2006, 04:29 PM
yup. on cold days the benchwarmers are just itching to get in the game, cause it means they'll get to move around and warm up.
We had conference track on a exposed hilltop in a snowstorm one year. It was one of the few times I was happy that I ran the 2 mile. That day really sucked for the throwers.

Ike
11/30/2006, 04:30 PM
depending on the condition the outdoor practice field is in, If I were coach, I'd probably at least want to get them out there to get some running in, and maybe take a few snaps in a no-contact setting, just to get them used to the feel of handling the football in the cold (and wet). Everything else, I'd do indoors.

TopDaugIn2000
11/30/2006, 04:31 PM
I always LOVED being in the mascot suit this time of year. it was those scrimmages in august that were the suc

SoonerAcesUp
11/30/2006, 04:33 PM
We had conference track on a exposed hilltop in a snowstorm one year. It was one of the few times I was happy that I ran the 2 mile. That day really sucked for the throwers.

They have hills in Nebraska?

royalfan5
11/30/2006, 04:34 PM
They have hills in Nebraska?
Yes, because we have rivers. It's only really flat along I-80. Outside of that there are plenty of hills.

william_brasky
11/30/2006, 04:37 PM
Indoors for sure.

Maybe some sort of walk through out in the weather after warmed up. There are just too many possibilites for injury out in wet/snowy/icy conditions, and you can't get as much done. In the practice facility, they can get all their work in.

Just my opinion.

Ike
11/30/2006, 04:38 PM

I know the feeling. Wed always started college baseball in mid-February, which meant that we would play in some hideous cold at times. As for baseball, even the starters can sometimes have a hard time warming up, due to the fact that the action is so compartmentalized...and damn does it suck to hit a ball off the handle in the cold. However, being a pitcher was both the best and the worst. It was best because if you were in the game, you were moving all the time. It was the worst because as a starter, you had only a 1 in 5 chance of being on the field on a cold day. Or as a reliever, you had to wait for several innings before you even had a chance to hit the bullpen.

Canyonero
11/30/2006, 04:41 PM
plus the way it's snowing out there, you can't see. it's going to be cold Sat. but not snowing like it is now.

OUAndy1807
11/30/2006, 05:21 PM
hell, they can open up those big ol' rolling doors on the indoor practice facility if they want cold, but I don't thi nk they'll be practicing outside.
no, haven't you heard. the indoor facility can simulate all types of weather conditions, including cold, rain, snow and tornado.

That is my favorite false rumor floating around. I heard it come out of a ********* fratboy's mouth just today at O'Connells. He knows, because his cousin is a coach.

The thing isn't even air conditioned. They have heaters and exhaust fans.

Okla-homey
11/30/2006, 07:35 PM
I think there is something to aclimitization though. After a few weeks in the field in winter, back when I was doing the "green" AF stuff, the cold didn't seem to bother me as much. At first, I froze, then, I kinda adjusted my internal thermostat and could manage quite comfortably.

I think heated homes and workplaces have wimpified us.

Mjcpr
11/30/2006, 07:36 PM
I think heated homes and workplaces have wimpified us.

Yeah, that ****'s for pussies.