PDA

View Full Version : road conditions???

jk the sooner fan
11/30/2006, 01:46 PM
getting a little worried about the drive up to KC tomorrow and saturday.....

any info on 35?

Rhino
11/30/2006, 01:48 PM
You might wanna keep tabs on this page:
http://www.kfor.com/Global/link.asp?L=181969

OU-HSV
11/30/2006, 01:50 PM
..Or the Turpike and 71 up to KC??

jk the sooner fan
11/30/2006, 01:56 PM
You might wanna keep tabs on this page:
http://www.kfor.com/Global/link.asp?L=181969

thanks.......i never know how accurate that really is, a couple years ago when we got snow on christmas eve day, they posted that the roads were all "treacherous".....and there wasnt anything on any of them from texas all the way to kansas

usmc-sooner
11/30/2006, 02:04 PM
I think they are pretty bad, be careful and have a safe drive up.

RacerX
11/30/2006, 02:06 PM
The roads look white.

Hope that helps.

Buy some 9v socks.

KC//CRIMSON
11/30/2006, 02:12 PM

any info on 35?

Use 511 on your cell phone for current Kansas highways/road conditions.:cool:

jk the sooner fan
11/30/2006, 02:13 PM
thanks.

Rhino
11/30/2006, 02:25 PM
Tonight it's supposed to get pretty bad, especially in northern parts of the state. I'd stay off anything that doesn't have an 'I' in front of it.

jk the sooner fan
11/30/2006, 02:29 PM
i'm leaving dallas tomorrow around 3ish and was planning on driving all the way to wichita to spend the nite...but i may stay in OKC and then drive up saturday

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 02:33 PM
yeah, the roads are pretty bad--all the schools and stuff are cancelled in wichita.

hang on, i'll ask my parents how things are up there...

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 02:43 PM
Be safe. Don't drive like an idjit.

If you break traction, the worst thing you can do is panic. If your vehicle is four wheel drive, steer out of the skid and give it a little gas. If your vehicle is rear wheel drive, steer into the skid and give it a little gas. If your vehicle is front wheel drive, steer out of the skid and tap the gas. Whatever you do, DO NOT slam the brakes if you have broken traction on a turn. It'll just make it worse.

Keep adequate distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. If someone cuts in front of you, drop back. It's much better to get where you're going late than it is to plow into the back of someone's rig.

If you can't stop and the choice is the snowdrift or the car in front of you, go for the snowdrift. They're a lot softer than other people's cars. Snow also has better traction than ice-if you're sliding when you try to stop, try to aim for snow. It'll help.

DO NOT THROW WARM WATER ON A FROZEN WINDSHIELD! I can't tell you how bad an idea that is.

Fugue
11/30/2006, 02:44 PM
yeah, the roads are pretty bad--all the schools and stuff are cancelled in wichita.

hang on, i'll ask my parents how things are up there...

Or I could tell ya, you know since I'm already a poster on the SO and stuff. :D

let me know what your parents say for my commute home

crawfish
11/30/2006, 02:46 PM
<dallas driver 1>I've got a 4WD truck, so I'll be fine doing 80 on ice and snow.</dallas driver 1>

<dallas driver 2>I'm not doing over 10mph, all the way down the freeway, until all the snow on the side of the road is melted.</dallas driver 2>

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 02:47 PM
That Dallas Drive 1 sounds suspiciouly like Anchorage Driver who just moved up here and bought a big honkin' truck 1.

It's always fun to see the 4x4s littered along the highway after the first big snow.

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 02:49 PM
my mom says it's snowing sideways right now and everything is really awful. She hasn't even tried to go anywhere yet. THey haven't plowed anything yet, because they wait until there's 3" or so before they break out the plows. But she says it's supposed to be a little warmer tomorrow. she hasn't heard about 35, but they'll talk about it on the news tonight, so I 'll let you know.

Fugue
11/30/2006, 02:50 PM
Wichita weather

16 degrees
blowing snow up to 7 inches by midnight
wind 15 with gusts to 40 :eek:

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 02:51 PM
Wichita weather

16 degrees
blowing snow up to 7 inches by midnight
wind 15 with gusts to 40 :eek:

:rolleyes:

;)

Be safe, Fugue.

GottaHavePride
11/30/2006, 02:52 PM
<dallas driver 1>I've got a 4WD truck, so I'll be fine doing 80 on ice and snow.</dallas driver 1>

<dallas driver 2>I'm not doing over 10mph, all the way down the freeway, until all the snow on the side of the road is melted.</dallas driver 2>
I remember a guy here in Norman freaked out last winter because he almost slid off the road in his truck and I said "Yeah? Your truck is rear wheel drive. Put about 200 lbs. of sandbags in the bed."

KABOOKIE
11/30/2006, 02:52 PM
i'm leaving dallas tomorrow around 3ish and was planning on driving all the way to wichita to spend the nite...but i may stay in OKC and then drive up saturday

I'll be flying out of Wichita Sat. afternoon and back after the game.

See link
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84380

crawfish
11/30/2006, 02:53 PM
That Dallas Drive 1 sounds suspiciouly like Anchorage Driver who just moved up here and bought a big honkin' truck 1.

It's always fun to see the 4x4s littered along the highway after the first big snow.

The mix of 1 and 2 is particularly fun.

And enough to keep me off the road if possible. :)

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 02:53 PM
I remember a guy here in Norman freaked out last winter because he almost slid off the road in his truck and I said "Yeah? Your truck is rear wheel drive. Put about 200 lbs. of sandbags in the bed."

I find that frozen bars of dead hooker slurry work just as well. You need about 10 of 'em, though.

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 02:56 PM
they're predicting 8-12" snow in Kansas City

Fugue
11/30/2006, 02:56 PM
:rolleyes:

;)

Be safe, Fugue.

we ain't got nothin' on ya eh?

heh :D

Ash
11/30/2006, 02:57 PM

Spek! :D

Okla-homey
11/30/2006, 03:00 PM

any info on 35?

You should leave now. That way, you'll make it to KC by Saturday afternoon.

Wish I were kidding.

49r
11/30/2006, 03:25 PM
webcams on this site are pretty useful

http://www.kcscout.com/

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 03:27 PM
yeah. on the weather channel they just said a lot of area between here and there is under blizzard warning. less than 1/4 mile visibility, temperatures in the teens, winds gusting to 30 mph.

49r
11/30/2006, 03:28 PM
This is the closest camera to Arrowhead:

http://www.kcscout.com/KCATIS_SNAPSHOTS/M070EBC-28.jpg

jk the sooner fan
11/30/2006, 03:28 PM
surely by saturday the interstate would be cleared........no?

proud gonzo
11/30/2006, 03:29 PM
it ought to be, i would think...

picasso
11/30/2006, 03:34 PM
I'm thinking so too. if the snow stops tonight 3am-ish. I think at least the main roads wil be cleared (I'm hoping).

and don't call me Shirley.

soonernation
11/30/2006, 04:01 PM
Dayum this looks cold.

http://www.kcscout.com/KCATIS_SNAPSHOTS/M070EBC-23.jpg

49r
11/30/2006, 05:01 PM
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/forecast/snowfcst_600x405.jpg

picasso
11/30/2006, 05:04 PM
but but, Tulsa tv weather guy just said expect 2 inches of snow per hour, tonight.

Mjcpr
11/30/2006, 05:06 PM
but but, Tulsa tv weather guy just said expect 2 inches of snow per hour, tonight.

For real? Until when?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/harleysgal62/Smilies/New/bitenails.gif

picasso
11/30/2006, 05:12 PM
For real? Until when?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/harleysgal62/Smilies/New/bitenails.gif
I wouldn't worry, it was Frank Mitchell.

I think the storm warnings end around 3am? I just want those roads plowed to KC baby!

colleyvillesooner
11/30/2006, 05:40 PM
Okay, now that we all know about this snow, is it still better to take US-69 to KC, or turnpike to US 71? This will be on Saturday morning.

OU-HSV
11/30/2006, 06:27 PM
My guess is the turnpike Colley. That's what I'll be taking cause I figure they'll have it cleared off better than any other highway (hopefully).

Okla-homey
11/30/2006, 07:27 PM

Just throw an extra jug of windshield washer stuff in the car. You'll need to refill at least once on a drive like that even if the roads are passable. Nothing goobs up a winshield like interstate driving over salted blacktop.

Also, seriously, make sure you have some basic survival crap in the trunk. Long stretches between exits you know. You're a GI, so I don't need to elaborate.

picasso
11/30/2006, 07:29 PM
Just throw an extra jug of windshield washer stuff in the car. You'll need to refill at least once on a drive like that even if the roads are passable. Nothing goobs up a winshield like interstate driving over salted blacktop.

Also, seriously, make sure you have some basic survival crap in the trunk. Long stretches between exits you know. You're a GI, so I don't need to elaborate.
yeah and make it the freeze proof kind. that stuff is priceless when needed.

Newbomb Turk
11/30/2006, 07:33 PM
and don't call me Shirley.

we have clearance Clarence.
roger Roger.
What's our vector Victor?

Mjcpr
11/30/2006, 07:38 PM
Took me about 45 minutes for a 20 minute drive. I didn't have a lot of trouble, but the dooshes that have to drive fast need to give a little more room, damn. Go as fast as you want, just don't clip my mirror on the way by.

colleyvillesooner
11/30/2006, 07:49 PM

I'm not so please do.

SoonerInKCMO
11/30/2006, 07:57 PM
Okay, now that we all know about this snow, is it still better to take US-69 to KC, or turnpike to US 71? This will be on Saturday morning.

I've taken 71 out of town after a good snow and it didn't seem to be cleared all that well. I'm thinking that either 169 or 71 are going to be a little dicey.

OU-HSV
11/30/2006, 07:57 PM
Now I'm hearing thunder....nice.

picasso
11/30/2006, 08:04 PM
I've taken 71 out of town after a good snow and it didn't seem to be cleared all that well. I'm thinking that either 169 or 71 are going to be a little dicey.
yeah 169 is pretty rural in some places. I'm still gonna go for it Jerry.

colleyvillesooner
11/30/2006, 08:13 PM
Well, I don't know any other way!!! :mad:

Okla-homey
11/30/2006, 08:15 PM
I'm not so please do.

A sleeping bag for each occupant ideally. If not, blankets/quilts. A roll or two of TP is good if you're taking ladies along.

Also, drinking water and a source of calories. Nuts and jerky work great. They don't spoil and supply lots of calories. You need calories to help stay warm. Keep the water in the passenger compartment with you so it doesn't freeze.

If unable to go further, Stay with the car.

Flashlight and a change of batteries. Cell phone charged up.

This is something no one believes till they try it. A lit candle in a coffee can puts out quite a bit of warmth and it can't asphixiate you in the car. If you have a couple such set ups, it helps a ton.

DO NOT rely on idling the car and running the heater. If snow drifts around the exhaust, you can die just like you could by trying to off yourself in a garage with the door down.

That said, crack a window for fresh air.

Finally, if you end up not quite off the road, make sure you do something so people will spot you and not slam into you. Reflectors, etc.

SoonerInKCMO
11/30/2006, 08:20 PM
A sleeping bag for each occupant ideally. If not, blankets/quilts. A roll or two of TP is good if you're taking ladies along.

Also, drinking water and a source of calories. Nuts and jerky work great. They don't spoil and supply lots of calories. You need calories to help stay warm. Keep the water in the passenger compartment with you so it doesn't freeze.

If unable to go further, Stay with the car.

Flashlight and a change of batteries. Cell phone charged up.

This is something no one believes till they try it. A lit candle in a coffee can puts out quite a bit of warmth and it can't asphixiate you in the car. If you have a couple such set ups, it helps a ton.

DO NOT rely on idling the car and running the heater. If snow drifts around the exhaust, you can die just like you could by trying to off yourself in a garage with the door down.

That said, crack a window for fresh air.

Finally, if you end up not quite off the road, make sure you do something so people will spot you and not slam into you. Reflectors, etc.

Good advice, Homey. Also, something I learned in northern Iowa one year: Iffin everyone else on the highway is going 10-15 mph through the blizzard while you're going 40-50 ziggin' and zaggin' through them... when you hit the snowdrift in the middle of I-35 that knocks you into the median where the snow is two feet deep and you can't get out... those people you passed won't stop to help you.

SoonerInKCMO
11/30/2006, 08:22 PM
Good advice, Homey. Also, something I learned in northern Iowa one year: Iffin everyone else on the highway is going 10-15 mph through the blizzard while you're going 40-50 ziggin' and zaggin' through them... when you hit the snowdrift in the middle of I-35 that knocks you into the median where the snow is two feet deep and you can't get out... those people you passed won't stop to help you.

One more thing: If you think you can dig your car out of the median by yourself without a shovel... you're wrong. Very wrong. Take a dozen Advil for the shoulder and arm aches the next day wrong.

nanimonai
12/1/2006, 12:22 AM
Also, for you f'in hillbillies out there....

It's maybe not the smartest idea in the world to tie a big chunk of plastic to the back of your truck and sled your kids around the neighborhood during 5:00 rush hour.

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 12:30 AM
Also, for you f'in hillbillies out there....

It's maybe not the smartest idea in the world to tie a big chunk of plastic to the back of your truck and sled your kids around the neighborhood during 5:00 rush hour.

Or like, ever. It sounds fun as hell until you realize that sleds don't have brakes and slide under axles pretty easily.

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2006, 12:30 AM
I was going to take 169 like I usually do, but I am thinking otherwise now. Not sure what to take cept 71.

Another thing to remember is the emergency band on all cell phones. I think its accessed by just dialing 112. Even locked cell phones have it.

SCKSCat
12/1/2006, 01:44 AM
I have no idea on the road conditions and who got the snow in KS. Looks like anything to the west and north of a straight line just north of Wichita on up to Topeka got hardly any snow today. Anything east of that got at least moderate snow accummulations. If it gets to the point the roads won't be cleared in the snow-dumped areas, it looks like taking I-135 north out of Wichita to US 50, then go east to Emporia and take the KS turnpike the rest of the way to KC would be the most pain-free route. Taking I-35 north (actually east) from Emporia, you will be heading into more of the areas that got hit badly today/tonight.

That said, I would think much of the KS turnpike is getting plowed and treated right now and should have the sun tomorrow to melt the remaining stuff. The roads east of the KS turnpike are going to be dicey, but the temperature should be above freezing for part of the day Saturday with sun melting the snow pack if any still exists after Friday's sunshine (1/2 a day of sunshine in SE KS for Friday).

Here is the map for the major highway conditions in KS (KS turnpike is wet and slushy as of now NE of El Dorado, but mainly snowpacked from KS/OK border to El Dorado):
http://511.ksdot.org/kanroadpublic/Ksys/KRDefault.asp

RacerX
12/1/2006, 09:08 AM
I thought I'd post this in here too. I-35 N Bound, just south of frontier city.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/4605/oopsfn9.jpg

jk the sooner fan
12/1/2006, 09:13 AM
and more snow on the way in kansas per the weather channel.....i've canceled my room and am going to try and get a refund from ticketmaster

:(

Fugue
12/1/2006, 11:00 AM
and more snow on the way in kansas per the weather channel.....i've canceled my room and am going to try and get a refund from ticketmaster

:(

That's too bad, the turnpike through Kansas is going to be ok. IT's the folks going north outta Tulsa through SE Kansas that will run into the junk.

birddog
12/1/2006, 11:14 AM
lemme guess. it's 75 there today.

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2006, 11:25 AM
That's too bad, the turnpike through Kansas is going to be ok. IT's the folks going north outta Tulsa through SE Kansas that will run into the junk.

Yup. If I could even GET to I-35, I might go.

Now the wife is feeling sick. I think The Lord is telling me to stay home and watch the game on my new plasma.