PDA

View Full Version : No. 1 vs. No 2

OUster
11/30/2006, 01:04 PM
I thought of something while having to endure the hype of OSU-Michigan and wanted to see if the board could help out with this stat now that OU-NU are meeting in the Big XII Champiopnship. Commentators were talking about OSU-Michigan being the hands down greatest rivalry in college football because this was the 3rd occassion in which OSU-Michigan was also No. 1 v. No.2. (WTF!) If that is the standard, isn't OU-Nebraska the greatest rivalry of all time? In what years was our showdown with the the 'Huskers No. 1 v. No 2?

I know I am missing some here, but, again, that is why I am asking the board...discuss.

mdklatt
11/30/2006, 01:16 PM
If that is the standard, isn't OU-Nebraska the greatest rivalry of all time?

Maybe it's because there isn't enough hate in the OU/Nebraska rivalry. Like we said back in the Big 8 days: Nebraska is business, Texas is personal.

Maybe we should all become drunks and burn **** down like they do in the Rust Belt to get more ESPN love. :rolleyes:

badger
11/30/2006, 01:18 PM
the rivalry gained a little momentum when Callahan started sounding and acting crazy. Other than that, eat your popcorn and chew loudly.

ahh... there's an icon for that!
:pop:
beat the (pop)Cornhuskers

Octavian
11/30/2006, 01:20 PM
You've got it right. We've met each other four times in a #1 vs. #2...with each winning twice.

Except it was '87, not '88.

17-7 OU win in Lincoln.

Harry Beanbag
11/30/2006, 03:31 PM
Ohio State-Michigan is the greatest rivalry because there are more televisions in Ohio & Michigan than Oklahoma & Nebraska.

And I thought they said this was the first time the Buckeyes and Wolverines had met ranked 1 & 2...

tbl
11/30/2006, 03:39 PM
That's what I heard. They said it over and over that this was the first time during the regular season that they've squared off as 1 & 2.

MiccoMacey
11/30/2006, 03:42 PM
It is. And I think we don't get to count 2000, because (I believe) we were ranked third in the AP but 2nd in the BCS (or the other way around).

Because they were listing the years and teams who've played as #'s 1 and 2, and they listed 1998 or something like that.

mdklatt
11/30/2006, 03:46 PM
It is. And I think we don't get to count 2000, because (I believe) we were ranked third in the AP but 2nd in the BCS (or the other way around).

Forget exact rankings, how often has OU/Nebraska (let's not forget OU/Texas) directly determined the national champion or determined who got to play in the MNC game? How often has Michigan/OSU?

MiccoMacey
11/30/2006, 03:48 PM
Not disagreeing with you...just tying to be factually correct.

Tear Down This Wall
11/30/2006, 03:50 PM
The people who say OSU-Michigan is the greatest can hands down blow me. It's more overblown than any rivalry in any sport. What a giant suckfest it's been all these years. Just once they've been #1 vs. #2.

Harry Beanbag
11/30/2006, 05:57 PM
There was an article about the Sooners/Huskers rivalry in the paper out here this morning that said from 1971-1988, OU and NU were both ranked in the top 11 seventeen times and top 10 fifteen times when they played at the end of the season.

In those 18 seasons, OU won 3 NCs, finished in the top 5 twelve times, top 10 fourteen times, and top 20 seventeen times. NU won one NC. finished in the top 5 six times, top 10 fifteen times, and top 20 all eighteen years. (The major reason OU finished in the top 5 twice as many times as NU was because Barry owned Tom's a$$. :) )

By comparison, Michigan only has 15 top 5 finishes since the beginning of the AP poll (1936) while Ohio State has 18. The Sooners are #1 in this category with 28 top 5 finishes.

josh09
11/30/2006, 06:17 PM
I thought of something while having to endure the hype of OSU-Michigan and wanted to see if the board could help out with this stat now that OU-NU are meeting in the Big XII Champiopnship. Commentators were talking about OSU-Michigan being the hands down greatest rivalry in college football because this was the 3rd occassion in which OSU-Michigan was also No. 1 v. No.2. (WTF!) If that is the standard, isn't OU-Nebraska the greatest rivalry of all time? In what years was our showdown with the the 'Huskers No. 1 v. No 2?

I know I am missing some here, but, again, that is why I am asking the board...discuss.

see, thats what i was thinking.

freshchris05
11/30/2006, 07:57 PM
There was an article about the Sooners/Huskers rivalry in the paper out here this morning that said from 1971-1988, OU and NU were both ranked in the top 11 seventeen times and top 10 fifteen times when they played at the end of the season.

In those 18 seasons, OU won 3 NCs, finished in the top 5 twelve times, top 10 fourteen times, and top 20 seventeen times. NU won one NC. finished in the top 5 six times, top 10 fifteen times, and top 20 all eighteen years. (The major reason OU finished in the top 5 twice as many times as NU was because Barry owned Tom's a$$. :) )

By comparison, Michigan only has 15 top 5 finishes since the beginning of the AP poll (1936) while Ohio State has 18. The Sooners are #1 in this category with 28 top 5 finishes.

haha barry made dr. tom look like dr. phil(sorry for myself)

goingoneight
11/30/2006, 09:08 PM
tOSU vs Michigan fact:

People show up Saturday, leave Saturday. Always a good showing, rarely an experience...

RRS fact:

People of both respective powers look forward to the Cotton Bowl and Fair event all year long, show up as early as ten days before kickoff, and party unlike any other college rivalry at the grounds and in the west end of Dallas.

America's best rivalry, maybe not OU/TX, but certainly not tOSU/MI.

mdklatt
11/30/2006, 09:38 PM
America's best rivalry, maybe not OU/TX, but certainly not tOSU/MI.

I said it before and I'll say it again: neutral field rivalries >> home and home rivalries.

tbl
11/30/2006, 09:40 PM
In college FB, I don't think there really is a hands down best rivalry. Arguments can be made for 3-5 games, but there's no way you can point to a clear cut "winner".

proudsoonergal
11/30/2006, 10:06 PM
In college FB, I don't think there really is a hands down best rivalry. Arguments can be made for 3-5 games, but there's no way you can point to a clear cut "winner".

Well, other than a rivalry that involves OU. ;)