PDA

View Full Version : Iraq study group

Ike
11/30/2006, 11:02 AM
They have apparently concluded their deliberations and reached a consensus, and will release their 100 page findings on Dec 6.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/30/AR2006113000025.html

But the recommendation includes a series of conditions and qualifications that would govern any drawdown of forces, the source said. "It describes a process by which combat brigades could be pulled out, but there wasn't a specific timetable on it," he said. The source demanded anonymity because members of the bipartisan panel have been pledged to secrecy until the report is officially issued Dec. 6.

Actually, this is what I have hoped would come from our government. A fairly hard checklist rather than a timetable. At least thats the way I read it.

Anyway, discuss.

Mjcpr
11/30/2006, 11:03 AM
I could've summarized it in WAY less than 100 pages.

Ike
11/30/2006, 11:08 AM

well, what would warshington be without unnecessary wordiness? People would think they aren't doing their bull****ting properly.

crawfish
11/30/2006, 11:13 AM

Only because you hate America.

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 11:15 AM
Seems we have lost the will to even try to win there and get that government stabilized. Very unfortunate, and one can only blame dubya for it I guess. Hopefully this will not come back to bite us, but I think it will.

Retreat is a victory for Iran and Osama. And Jim Baker is just the man for the job IMO.

SoonerProphet
11/30/2006, 11:18 AM
Seems we have lost the will to even try to win there and get that government stabilized. Very unfortunate, and one can only blame dubya for it I guess. Hopefully this will not come back to bite us, but I think it will.

Retreat is a victory for Iran and Osama. And Jim Baker is just the man for the job IMO.

I don't blame George, he recieved some really bad advice from those who thought they could change the world.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 11:24 AM
sworn to secrecy huh?

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 11:38 AM
I don't blame George, he recieved some really bad advice from those who thought they could change the world.

What I blame him for is not going there, I firmly believe it was the right thing to do, but the way the war has been fought since the fall of Saddams government, and not fighting to win.

I can see the argument of not putting too many of our people in harms way, but hell, when your wiping the worlds *** crack, you need more than just one section of toilet paper. You need the whole goddamn role.

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 11:40 AM
sworn to secrecy huh?

Its the Washington Post.

Left leaning papers like Wapo and NYT long ago gave up any sort of morality.

VeeJay
11/30/2006, 11:45 AM
When I saw the video of the insurgents kneeling in prayer, in the crosshairs ready to be vaporized, and we didn't take action, I knew there was no winning this, or even holding out hope for an outcome that's in our favor.

If these are the rules we established early on, we should not have gone in there at all.

That one was a gimme. How many of our guys were killed or lost limbs from IDE's due to that decision?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 11:54 AM
when we disbanded their military i knew we couldn't win this. i don't think their military would have a problem popping a cap off in some of these power hungry clerics. you have to break up their unity by causing internal power squabbles while you solidify your position.

JohnnyMack
11/30/2006, 12:29 PM
They coulda asked me. I been sayin' the same thing since '03.

Just ask Tuba, he'll tell ya.

SoonerProphet
11/30/2006, 01:12 PM
It was a fools errand from the get go.

mdklatt
11/30/2006, 01:37 PM
They have apparently concluded their deliberations and reached a consensus, and will release their 100 page findings on Dec 6.

You know only a couple of them did the work while the rest of them just dicked around the entire semester.

Ike
11/30/2006, 01:45 PM
You know only a couple of them did the work while the rest of them just dicked around the entire semester.

heh.

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 01:58 PM
It was a fools errand from the get go.

Taking out a threat after what happened on 9-11 is hardly a "fools errand".

We had more of a justification to depose Saddam than we did to wage most of the wars this country has fought in its history.

Doing just enough not to win or lose is the "fools errand" in play here. We need to get serious about this or just hand AQ, Iran, etc a victory. And your "realist" friend James Baker is just the man to hand those folks a victory at the expense of the Iraqis, Kurds, etc.

JohnnyMack
11/30/2006, 02:09 PM
Tuba still hasn't figured out that AQ wasn't in Iraq before we removed SH from power.

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 02:14 PM
When Bluto said the Germans bombed Pearle Harbor, JM must have believed him.

SoonerProphet
11/30/2006, 02:16 PM
Taking out a threat after what happened on 9-11 is hardly a "fools errand".

How where they a threat again? How many Iraqi citizens were members of AQ and participated in the terrorist attacks of 9/11?

We had more of a justification to depose Saddam than we did to wage most of the wars this country has fought in its history.

Can I hear that justification again? Seems to me that justification has collapsed.

Doing just enough not to win or lose is the "fools errand" in play here. We need to get serious about this or just hand AQ, Iran, etc a victory. And your "realist" friend James Baker is just the man to hand those folks a victory at the expense of the Iraqis, Kurds, etc.

How do you plan to get "serious"? Haven't those who supported this fiasco realized this is a giant f*ckup yet?