PDA

View Full Version : huskers break down the game

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 10:44 AM
ooo, look recruiting stars. :rolleyes:

30 years from now, people are still going to be saying that lsu blew us out. speaking of choking in big games, what about that fumble by nunn against texas that allowed them to win?

http://65.98.70.3/vbbs/showthread.php?t=34288

CobraKai
11/30/2006, 11:02 AM
Paul Thompson is a good scrambler? Based on what?

PAW
11/30/2006, 11:04 AM
So, OU gets to line up 14 on offense but how come they get 19 on defense?

Not only that, they get 22 on offense and OU only gets 17 on defense.

Ike
11/30/2006, 11:28 AM
ooo, look recruiting stars. :rolleyes:

30 years from now, people are still going to be saying that lsu blew us out. speaking of choking in big games, what about that fumble by nunn against texas that allowed them to win?

http://65.98.70.3/vbbs/showthread.php?t=34288

I never did understand how a 7 point loss = blowout. oh well.

I never put much stock in these so called breakdowns, because the "analysis" they do typically breaks down sometime in the first 5 minutes of the first quarter

Widescreen
11/30/2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I read that last night. I didnt understand the Paul Thompson scrambling thing either. A lot of what he wrote was pretty decent. But he seems to think that their DL will dominate our OL. We shall see.

RedStripe
11/30/2006, 11:30 AM
That’s bad news for the defense. I would guess this week was spent doing a lot of tackling drills. Hopefully for Nebraska they figure out how to stick a tackle this week. If they don’t, Oklahoma will blow Nebraska out with multiple big touchdown runs.

If you can't tackle by week 13 it prolly ain't going to happen

picasso
11/30/2006, 11:39 AM
has oSu stopped scoring on them yet?

sooner518
11/30/2006, 11:41 AM
Texas dominated the Sooners up front and Oklahoma lost 28-10 because they couldn’t handle Texas’ defense.
I think 5 turnovers were the reason we lost, not being manhandled by Texas D-line

fadada1
11/30/2006, 11:43 AM
guy did some nice work, except that our running production has actually increased (and not stayed the same) since AD went down. i'd sat "OK" if we hadn't increased running by about 30 yards per game.

score:
OU: 78
nu: minus 5

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 11:44 AM
TOs are the name of the game here. we've allowed teams to stick around because of TOs. heck, the only game where we should have been blown out was oregon, but they were courteous enough to cough the ball up 5 times.

royalfan5
11/30/2006, 11:58 AM
And you wonder why I do most of my posting here.

DarrellZero
11/30/2006, 12:10 PM
Average Rivals Stars: 3.57 stars Average Rivals Stars: 3.42 stars

I quit reading after that....

TopDawg
11/30/2006, 12:17 PM
I never did understand how a 7 point loss = blowout. oh well.

I think most people lost interest in that game early in the 2nd half. Even though it wasn't exactly a blow out, after they scored that defensive touchdown I remember feeling like we were getting pwned.

Our defense got us back into the game late, but like I said, I think most people had already formed their opinion of the two teams by that time and the fact of the matter is that we only scored one more TD after that...so it's not like we really wowwed anybody...especially since the average fan could not care less about defense.

So anyway, while I can understand why someone would remember a game like that as being a blowout, it also tells me everything I need to know about their football IQ.

picasso
11/30/2006, 12:20 PM
I'm not reading that thread but are those wanks actually using the OU big game choke argument?
do they realize since Stoops we've done a better job in those games than say, oh I don't know....Nebraska?

Ike
11/30/2006, 12:23 PM
I think most people lost interest in that game early in the 2nd half. Even though it wasn't exactly a blow out, after they scored that defensive touchdown I remember feeling like we were getting pwned.

Our defense got us back into the game late, but like I said, I think most people had already formed their opinion of the two teams by that time and the fact of the matter is that we only scored one more TD after that...so it's not like we really wowwed anybody...especially since the average fan could not care less about defense.

So anyway, while I can understand why someone would remember a game like that as being a blowout, it also tells me everything I need to know about their football IQ.

Oh we were getting pwned the entire game, I don't question that. Still, despite that, we had chances to tie it up late in the game, and damn near did.

jwlynn64
11/30/2006, 12:26 PM
If you really read his analysis and objectively look at the points, you have to conclude that OU wins.

His actual preditions are based on what he hopes will happen. I guess he's listening with his heart and not his head! ;)

Pricetag
11/30/2006, 12:47 PM
has oSu stopped scoring on them yet?
Yeah. OSU was doing what they wanted against that defense in the second half. They were opening up panoramic vistas in that awesome d-line.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah. OSU was doing what they wanted against that defense in the second half. They were opening up panoramic vistas in that awesome d-line.

i heard their twister mat broke in two

CobraKai
11/30/2006, 01:00 PM
Oh we were getting pwned the entire game, I don't question that. Still, despite that, we had chances to tie it up late in the game, and damn near did.

Actually our defense pwned them the entire game. If I'm not mistaken they failed to pickup a first down on O the entire second half. Our O waited too long to show up. Oh ya, and we shoudl have played Thompson. ;)

Football Jim
11/30/2006, 01:11 PM
It seems like the nubs are extremely hung up on recruiting ratings. That is how they sold out Solich, they said he couldn't recruit because of his ratings. They easily forget that for years NU recruited good players and when in the system the coaches molded them into great players.

It seems they need every excuse for firing a coach that was 2 time Big 12 Coach of the Year and just got named MAC coach of the year.

JPNSKER
11/30/2006, 01:18 PM
It seems like the nubs are extremely hung up on recruiting ratings. That is how they sold out Solich, they said he couldn't recruit because of his ratings. They easily forget that for years NU recruited good players and when in the system the coaches molded them into great players.

It seems they need every excuse for firing a coach that was 2 time Big 12 Coach of the Year and just got named MAC coach of the year.

I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

The reason Solich was fired, is because he didn't recruit hardly ANYONE. The performance on the field spoke way more than his "stars". Solich's downfall was putting his recruiting exclusively into Dave Gillespies hands. Also, those "coaches" that molded players, were all gone by the time NU took a nose dive.

GottaHavePride
11/30/2006, 01:30 PM
The reason Solich was fired, is because he didn't recruit hardly ANYONE. The performance on the field spoke way more than his "stars".

Yeah, those 9 win seasons must have sucked.

royalfan5
11/30/2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah, those 9 win seasons getting blown out by anybody with a pulse must have sucked.
Solich and staff got lazy and become to reliant on walk-ons and quit recruiting speed. Boyd Epley quit giving a **** about players working out. NU got slow and soft. Solich didn't recruit the qb's or rb's or ol's to run his offense after the ones that Osborne left him graduated. NU is finally recovering from the talent deficit Solich left. NU would probably have been worse the last two years under Solich than under Callahan. There is more to the direction of a program than wins and losses in a given year. NU wasn't heading in the right direction under Solich, and at least we acted before we really bottomed out. Solich can do well in the MAC with his DUI's and 17 players arrested in the past year, but that doesn't mean he was the right guy for NU.

Mile High Sooner
11/30/2006, 03:08 PM
While it was an interesting read.....I'm still laughing over BerryHusker's analysis of the Fexas logo.:D Classic!

Jello Biafra
11/30/2006, 03:30 PM
Solich and staff got lazy and become to reliant on walk-ons and quit recruiting speed. Boyd Epley quit giving a **** about players working out. NU got slow and soft. Solich didn't recruit the qb's or rb's or ol's to run his offense after the ones that Osborne left him graduated. NU is finally recovering from the talent deficit Solich left. NU would probably have been worse the last two years under Solich than under Callahan.

i call bull****.....solich gets fired your school hires callahan and he immediately turned your team into an also ran. as you will see on my next post in this thread. beating up div I-AA opponents and laying down like a two dollar whore to middle of the road teams does not equal your team moving in the right direction. you had 2 serviceable coaches on that staff who did well with what they had and now you have a baboonhuncher as a head man. this is the same guy that ran the raiders into the ground. THE FUGGIN raiders..... if he was too big an ******* for them, he's got issues.

There is more to the direction of a program than wins and losses in a given year. NU wasn't heading in the right direction under Solich, and at least we acted before we really bottomed out. Solich can do well in the MAC with his DUI's and 17 players arrested in the past year, but that doesn't mean he was the right guy for NU.

riiiight.... like that is a standard that you guys don't stand for in lincoln.....

seriously. if you don't like what is happening with the team, look at your coordinators or strength and conditioning coach or the towel boy or something but if your coach goes 58-19 in 5 seasons, you're not doing too bad.

royalfan5
11/30/2006, 03:49 PM
i call bull****.....solich gets fired your school hires callahan and he immediately turned your team into an also ran. as you will see on my next post in this thread. beating up div I-AA opponents and laying down like a two dollar whore to middle of the road teams does not equal your team moving in the right direction. you had 2 serviceable coaches on that staff who did well with what they had and now you have a baboonhuncher as a head man. this is the same guy that ran the raiders into the ground. THE FUGGIN raiders..... if he was too big an ******* for them, he's got issues.

riiiight.... like that is a standard that you guys don't stand for in lincoln.....

seriously. if you don't like what is happening with the team, look at your coordinators or strength and conditioning coach or the towel boy or something but if your coach goes 58-19 in 5 seasons, you're not doing too bad.
What do you think Solich was doing his last two years. Beating up on bad teams and getting rolled by good teams. I get it, you hate Callahan, but that doesn't mean Solich was doing a good job. Who was going to run Solich's offense, Joe Daliey? the other bad quarterbacks we had on the roster? How about the fact that Solich was so derelict in his program management that we played a whole year with 3 scholarship DT"s total? If you can't see that NU's program was on it's last legs under Solich you are blind. Plus, you add in Solich's off the field issues, and it wasn't hard to understand why he was fired. On the blaming the coordinators or S&C coach, it was Frank's job to keep a first rate staff, and he failed.

tommie15
11/30/2006, 03:55 PM

I think most Husker fans spend more time analyzing the team than Sooner fans, and rightly so. You won't find many that felt like the team was on the rise under Solich.

Here are some scores from his last 2 seasons.

PSU 40 - NU 7
ISU 36 - NU 14
OSU 24 - NU 21
UT 27 - NU 21
KSU 49 - NU 13
CU 28 - NU 13
Ole Miss 27 - NU 23
MU 41 - NU 24
UT 31 - NU 7
KSU 38 - NU 9

We weren't just losing, we were getting blown out. And Solich's staff refused to recruit. This is a fact and has been well documented by those close to the program. Sure, Callahan's first year wasn't pretty, but I don't think you realize the scarcity of talent in the program at that time. We were also completely overhauling the offense. I think it's pretty obivous Callahan has us going in the right direction, although the defense needs to start performing.

Jello Biafra
11/30/2006, 04:33 PM
when i was on SI i did a breakdown nearly every week and i just thought since my front door is frozen shut today, i might go ahead and do one. so here goes, hope you like it......

I'll start with talking about the Nebraska special teams.

Kicking Game
NU's Kicker is not real reliable beyond the 30 yard line so keeping them from getting inside the 30 will be a key to the game in my opinion. the kicker this year has made kicks of 21,26,33,38,and 40 but has missed attempts of 37 and 42. we keep them between the 30 and the 50, they will have to go for it on 4th (surely they wouldn't punt it right? :) trick plays anyone? )
the punter is averaging 39.7 yards per and ranked 65th in the nation in punt return defense allowing an average of 8.37 per and 114th in the nation in kickoff returns allowing an average of 17.3 per kick their opponents this year have averaged starting on the 23 yard line. I think the kicking game is going to be a big factor in this game because coach will look to jump on these guys quickly and step on their throat from the very beginning.

comparing 2 wins and 1 loss
now i have been looking at the husker web pages since we won the LosuR game and they are under the impression that they have blown out multiple opponents this year while we have struggled in almost every single one. well lets just look at a sample of the games....

first: La Tech 3-9 1-6 WAC WIn 49-10

LT had 3 rushing first downs on the huskers with a total of 67 yards but 10 passing first downs for a total of 238 yards and lost 2 fumbles and an INT.
nebraska had 252 yards in rushing and 232 yards in passing

sounds fairly impressive except.......
LT is ranked 101 in pass defense (really? only 332 yards?)
118 in rushing defense (again....252?)
116 in pass efficiency neb allowed 238 yards?
119 in Total Defense ok. 49 points
118 in Scoring D
all in all....its what would be expected but lets not forget, it is la tech.

Nichols state: 4-7 2-4 conf. Win 56-7

reading this, i was like are you serious? this team HAS a football team? and then i realized this team would get beat by half of the state championship football teams in the nation. wow!

NS had 47 rushing attempts for 187 yards 4 yards per carry.
3 passing attempts for ZERO yards
NU had 261 yards rushing
237 yards passing

Of note: Nichols was 3-12 on third down 1-2 on 4th now.....if they attempt 3 passes in the whole freaking game......theres probably a pretty good chance they are going to run the ball? they still managed to get three first downs only rushing. on the flip side, neb was 7 of 12 on 3rd and 2 of 3 on 4th. so Nichols actually held them at least once and held them to 4th down at least 3 times. now the ugly part for nebish

Nichols state is ranked 116 in passing
6 in rushing off
69 rushing defense
36 passing defense
111 in turn over margin
nichols did not turn the ball over to that spectacular husker blackhead defense....
yes. not too bad until you realize that those ranking ARE IN DIV. AA
guess what.... nichols had 2 running backs average 6.0 or more per carry. one of them had 3 carries for 65 yards for an average of 21.7 yards..... the other had 8 carries for 48. like i said.....no big secret. they were going to run the ball.

USC: loss 28-10 10-1 7-1 pac 10

USC had 142 yards on the ground
257 yards in the air
4.6 yard per carry
Neb had 68 yards rushing
143 in the air
1.9 yards per carry

not too bad until you consider this:

USC is ranked 52 in rush offense
17 pass offense
17 rush defense
66 pass defense
AND usc allowed washington to score 20 on them
Arizona state to score 21 on them
washington state to score 22 on them
oregon state to score 33 on them

for the record:

neb is 18 in rush off OK is 14
18 in pass off OK is 80
9 in total offense OK is 39
9 in scoring offense OK is 23
48 in rush defense OK is 19
84 in pass defense OK is 27
71 in total Defense OK is 14
30 in scoring defense OK is 18

by the way, 71 in total defense........ here's a list of teams higher lol....

Notre dame 45
Texas Tech 50
Middle tennesee state 54
Colorado 67
LA Monroe 70

i have done the OSU- NU break down as well. ill put more up in a little bit.

Jello Biafra
11/30/2006, 08:49 PM
woooooowwww serius thread killer there.........

i was expecting the huskers to fight back......or someone tell me i was a moron or a mormon or something. jeez.

tommie15
11/30/2006, 08:55 PM
woooooowwww serius thread killer there.........

i was expecting the huskers to fight back......or someone tell me i was a moron or a mormon or something. jeez.

Our offense is streaky, and we haven't played great against the better competition. Next year I believe will be another leap forward.

And yes, our defense is a concern.

But, you're still a moron, MORON!!!!:eek: :eek: ;)

proudsoonergal
11/30/2006, 10:34 PM
The problem with Oklahoma’s defense is that it doesn’t have weaknesses. So while it is easy to say that you have to pass to beat them. It is hard to look at this secondary and find a good spot to throw at.

Wow. Could anyone imagine someone writing this about our defense in September? :)