PDA

View Full Version : Black candidates for the Alabama job?

CShine
11/30/2006, 09:00 AM
This should stir the pot. Looks like bama's gonna get this thrown at them every single time their head coaching job comes open (at least until they hire a black head coach).

The Black Coaches Association was still awaiting a response Wednesday from University of Alabama officials to a letter regarding potential black candidates to replace the fired Mike Shula. Floyd Keith, the group's executive director, said he sent a general list of black coaches to Alabama on Monday seeking feedback on the university's criteria in order to narrow the list down.

"I'm still waiting to hear from the athletic director and/or the president," Keith said in a phone interview Wednesday.

He said he had received responses to similar requests from officials at Miami, North Carolina State and Tulane - schools also seeking a new coach.

"I've spoken to all of those folks. They (the firings) all happened about the same time," Keith said.

The Crimson Tide drew fire from civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson four years ago after the university hired Shula instead of runner-up Sylvester Croom, who is black. Both were longtime NFL assistants who played for Alabama. Croom was hired at Mississippi State about six months later, becoming the Southeastern Conference's first black head football coach. Keith said his organization wants an "inclusive and diverse search process" and didn't have a beef with Alabama over that decision.

"Their issue was they chose to hire Shula and didn't hire Croom," he said. "They interviewed Croom and we were happy with that. I never had an issue with Shula."

"We don't treat this job any differently than the other 12 that are open now," he added.

The executive director of a Birmingham organization geared toward improving public schools, however, urged Alabama athletic director Mal Moore to hire a black coach.

"The time is now and the place is right for the University of Alabama to earnestly consider and hire an African-American head football coach," said Ronald E. Jackson of Citizens for Better Schools. He is a 1972 Alabama graduate.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/local/16124324.htm

fadada1
11/30/2006, 09:16 AM
my recommendation to alabama is to hire the best candidate for the job. white, black, red, yellow, other...

they need a coach that can win, as opposed to keeping jessie jackson happy.

southern sooner
11/30/2006, 09:20 AM
this is with every job in America, sports or no sports.... I understand the past has not been perfect and some very qualified people were overlooked due to race... Now days I believe that has been corrected (90%),just hire the right person...

poke4christ
11/30/2006, 09:26 AM
Wow, Alabama is just getting this crap because of thier history. Yeah, they didn't hire Sylvester Croom, but look at his track record at MSU. Seems to me they made the right choice. They shouldn't have even fired their coach to begin with. I have a feeling that they are going to end up like OU was after Switzer left.

I think fadada1 sumed it up rather well.

Zach

Jason White's Third Knee
11/30/2006, 09:29 AM
"The time is now and the place is right for the University of Alabama to earnestly consider and hire an African-American head football coach," said Ronald E. Jackson of Citizens for Better Schools. He is a 1972 Alabama graduate.

Fine. But the black guy that gets the job needs to be as good or better than his peers. THAT is what should get the guy the job, not because he's decent and black. Do these people not see that this is just another form of discrimination?

fadada1
11/30/2006, 09:35 AM
our own situation at OU can be called into question. why was blake hired? i don't remember pressure being put on OU (but i was in the service at the time, so i missed a lot of the press). regardless, the other end of blake's stint at OU was not the result of the color of his skin. i promise you that he was not fired because he was black. 12 wins in 3 years would've gotten vince lombardi fired.

croom's tenure at MSU is in serious jeopardy as well. and similar to blake, he won't be fired because of his color. and neither was shula. shula was not fired so that alabama could hire a black coach. he was fired because he couldn't win and bring alabama their 49th MNC.

tulsaOUfan
11/30/2006, 09:37 AM
race should never be a hiring/firing issue/excuse

mrowl
11/30/2006, 09:40 AM
I wonder if the Latino Coaches association, or the White Coaches association has requested a candidates list. :rolleyes:

FourKings
11/30/2006, 09:41 AM
Fine. But the black guy that gets the job needs to be as good or better than his peers. THAT is what should get the guy the job, not because he's decent and black. Do these people not see that this is just another form of discrimination?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree, reverse racism etc...the country is full of it, personally, I could care less if the guy is black or green. If OU fired Stoops, they better go get Pete Carroll (sorry had to use him, he's winning after all) or someone with some skins on the wall like he does, because he's as good or better and thats the bottom line.
Race doesnt, nor should it, figure in the equation.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/30/2006, 09:53 AM
These race groups do not understand the history and grooming that head coaches have gone through to become a guy that can lead and handle the situation. It's multiple generations of coaching, playing and education that have given white guys the edge. Every head coach out there is the son of a coach or the son of a QB. Even the grandfather was probably a coach. Can't say that with black guys. They'll catch up when they have graduated college, become coaches, have children who grow up playing, graduate college and become coaches, and THEN you will have a bunch of black head coaches.

Lots.

sooneron
11/30/2006, 10:29 AM
These race groups do not understand the history and grooming that head coaches have gone through to become a guy that can lead and handle the situation. It's multiple generations of coaching, playing and education that have given white guys the edge. Every head coach out there is the son of a coach or the son of a QB. Even the grandfather was probably a coach. Can't say that with black guys. They'll catch up when they have graduated college, become coaches, have children who grow up playing, graduate college and become coaches, and THEN you will have a bunch of black head coaches.

Lots.
Like Switzer's coaching pedigree? Or Bryant's?

I know you don't mean it, but that sounds somewhat like a country club/aristocratic mentality. Face it, it's almost all about misconception. How long has it taken for the nfl to have a sustained number of AA qbs? A long time, the knock was always that that they were perceived (incorrectly) to be great athletes, but didn't have the head for the game.

tulsaOUfan
11/30/2006, 10:51 AM
who's your daddy should have nothing to do with coaching hiring/firing decisions. that's just the stupidest thing I've ever heard. and I've heard a lot on this, the internet.

Soonermagik
11/30/2006, 10:55 AM
Martin Luther King wished for a day when a man would not be judged on the content of his skin, but the content of his character. Any race group trying to promote their race for a certain job is inherently racist.

Dio
11/30/2006, 11:02 AM
What if we all said "Make the NBA 70% white to reflect the US population". Yeah, it would be "fair" according to the PC police's definition, but nobody would watch it because it would suck. Same deal here -hire the best guy, no matter what he looks like.

props
11/30/2006, 11:04 AM
to me, this just causes schools to parade some black coaches in for interviews. which, in my opinion as a one not a member of the caucasian race, is just embarrassing.

it's like getting a pity date.

Tuloma
11/30/2006, 11:08 AM
Personally I think Jesse Jackson and others like him are hurting the cause of Black candidates in all matters. Most organizations want the best they can get and pressuring for blacks over whites, only creates animosity

yermom
11/30/2006, 11:13 AM
that's the kind of thing they are trying to break JW3K, but what school should have to take on a lesser coach just to make some kind of quota?

i could maybe see a point if there were loads of coordinators out there that were black and on teams winning national championships but no one would hire them as head coaches. how many people like that are there?

the stories that really sour me on this are when ND fired Willingham and hired Weis and when South Carolina hired Spurrier

show me any coach that would have been better to hire in those spots... they should be picking their battles better

yermom
11/30/2006, 11:16 AM
who's your daddy should have nothing to do with coaching hiring/firing decisions. that's just the stupidest thing I've ever heard. and I've heard a lot on this, the internet.

tell that to Schula ;)

but also look at the Bowdens or the Stoops brothers, family certainly helps

TripleOption14
11/30/2006, 11:49 AM
Fine. But the black guy that gets the job needs to be as good or better than his peers. THAT is what should get the guy the job, not because he's decent and black. Do these people not see that this is just another form of discrimination?

Absolutely agree, reverse racism etc...the country is full of it[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as reverse racism! Racism is racism PERIOD!! Doesn't matter who it is coming from. And yes there is STILL tons of it in our country.
So why wouldn't there be tons of it in coaching if its still a problem in this country? And if you don't think its still a problem please see Michael Richards and Mel Gibson two individuals who showed their TRUE colors here recently.

OUstud
11/30/2006, 11:49 AM
A month or two ago, they showed records of every black D-1 football coach in the DO, and I think only Willingham was over .500. This is not to say they don't make good coaches, but I think those records are either because they were hired as the token minority instead of a better white coach or were fired before they got a chance. Don't choose coaches based on what some reverend/racist has to say. If Bama would have hired Croom, it's hard to say what would have happened, surely the talent there is greater than at Mississippi State, but I doubt he would have gotten them 10 wins last year.

badger
11/30/2006, 12:19 PM
I think it is time that Alabama consider hiring a female head coach.

Females represent 50 percent of the general population, and at least 50 percent of most college campus populations. It is time they are adequately represented in the flagship program in Alabama's athletic department.

If they do not, I suggest a boycott of all Alabama, until they change their sexist ways. Until then, support the University of Oklahoma, which gave female coaches such as Sherri Coale, who had never held a college coaching position, the chance to prove that they are just as capable of taking programs to the top as their male counterparts.

We all know the outcome of this already, so I suggest an immediate boycott of Alabama and turning to OU fandom now.

;)

Scott D
11/30/2006, 01:18 PM
A month or two ago, they showed records of every black D-1 football coach in the DO, and I think only Willingham was over .500. This is not to say they don't make good coaches, but I think those records are either because they were hired as the token minority instead of a better white coach or were fired before they got a chance. Don't choose coaches based on what some reverend/racist has to say. If Bama would have hired Croom, it's hard to say what would have happened, surely the talent there is greater than at Mississippi State, but I doubt he would have gotten them 10 wins last year.

Well be fair, look at the gigs they get. Mississippi State, Buffalo, Oklahoma State. It doesn't help matters when the gigs they tend to get are the ones that nobody else wants.

mdklatt
11/30/2006, 01:21 PM
Can't say that with black guys. They'll catch up when they have graduated college, become coaches, have children who grow up playing, graduate college and become coaches, and THEN you will have a bunch of black head coaches.

So we won't have more black coaches until we have more black coaches?

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 01:24 PM
Well be fair, look at the gigs they get. Mississippi State, Buffalo, Oklahoma State. It doesn't help matters when the gigs they tend to get are the ones that nobody else wants.

Like OU??? ;)

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 01:26 PM
I was hopeful that the GLBT or what ever the hell it is would start pushing transvestite football coaches.

I think that may be the answer for Bama.

Scott D
11/30/2006, 01:28 PM
Like OU??? ;)

Blake never gets the OU job if it wasn't for Switzer.....that should be blackest mark on the history of 'The King' ever ;)

But a lot of black head coaches ended up with their jobs because of their predecessor being fired or leaving for another gig..ala Bob Simmons at OSU and Bobby Williams at Mich. St. (interim to head coach after Saban bailed for LSU). The problem with them for the most part getting crappy jobs is it reinforces a belief with the aristocracy of boosters.

That's the main reason why so much is put on Willingham and Karl Dorrell being successful. Washington and UCLA are relatively prime head coaching jobs.

mdklatt
11/30/2006, 01:33 PM
That's the main reason why so much is put on Willingham and Karl Dorrell being successful. Washington and UCLA are relatively prime head coaching jobs.

Hmm...20% of Pac-10 coaches are black. That's higher than the US population as a whole, and I'm guessing a lot higher than the West Coast and the Pac-10 schools in particular.

:les: IT'S AN OUTRAGE!!!

Scott D
11/30/2006, 01:35 PM
Hmm...20% of Pac-10 coaches are black. That's higher than the US population as a whole, and I'm guessing a lot higher than the West Coast and the Pac-10 schools in particular.

well it needs to balance with the 0% in the Big-10, Big East, ACC, Mountain West, WAC, and Sunbelt Conference ;)

and the 6% in the Big-12 and SEC :P

badger
11/30/2006, 01:38 PM
when you consider how many athletes are African-American... oh who are we kidding. When you consider how many BLACK athletes there are, why don't more of them go into coaching?

Do they just have pro careers that last longer and then they don't feel it necessary to come back to college?

I mean, Stoops used to play at Iowa. If he had a lengthy pro career, would he be in coaching right now?

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 01:40 PM
Blake never gets the OU job if it wasn't for Switzer.....that should be blackest mark on the history of 'The King' ever ;)

But a lot of black head coaches ended up with their jobs because of their predecessor being fired or leaving for another gig..ala Bob Simmons at OSU and Bobby Williams at Mich. St. (interim to head coach after Saban bailed for LSU). The problem with them for the most part getting crappy jobs is it reinforces a belief with the aristocracy of boosters.

I thought about this a while back, and wondered what the average age of a d-1 HC was, and its probably about 50 I would suspect.

So, that means they probabaly played and began coaching about 30 years ago, and I am just guessing but I bet that teams were probably much more "caucasian" even then.

I just think Its going to take a few more years before we see that many more black HCs, just because so many are still coming into being assistants and such now. But it will happen soon naturally I think.

The worst thing a school could do is just to hire someone cause of their color.

That's also the worst thing that could happen to a minority candidate as well, cause it could just set them up for failure.

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 01:42 PM

How many players are black though? 70%? 80%?

Wasn't that way 20 years ago. More players will mean more GAs and more assistants which will mean more and more HCs.

mdklatt
11/30/2006, 01:43 PM
and the 6% in the Big-12....

:confused:

Mack Brown talks a lot of jive, but he's not black. :D

EDIT: Oops, forgot the new guy...Ron Prince.

TripleOption14
11/30/2006, 01:48 PM
when you consider how many athletes are African-American... oh who are we kidding. When you consider how many BLACK athletes there are, why don't more of them go into coaching?

I'm working on it. :D Just give me about 4 more years if that. :D

Doged
11/30/2006, 01:49 PM
EDIT: Oops, forgot the new guy...Ron Prince.

I'll bet Mack doesn't forget Ron Prince any time soon. :D

mdklatt
11/30/2006, 01:51 PM
I'm working on it. :D Just give me about 4 more years if that. :D

What are your thoughts about running the ball on 3rd and long?

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 01:54 PM

Do they just have pro careers that last longer and then they don't feel it necessary to come back to college?

I mean, Stoops used to play at Iowa. If he had a lengthy pro career, would he be in coaching right now?

The problem is that you don't get a lot of black GAs. If you're not a GA, you don't move up to position coach. If you're not a position coach, you don't move up to coordinator. If you're not a coordinator, you don't get the experience you need to be a head coach.

Why there's not a lot of black GAs is a subject for scholarly research. If I had to toss an idea off the top of my head as to why there's not a lot of black GA's, I would say that it likely has economic underpinnings-GAs make diddly/squat AND they have to pay for grad school.

I don't like the fact that blacks are underrepresented as head coaches, but I don't know that there's any way to fix it with the applicant base we have right now. The reason why the Croom/Shula deal was a big deal was that Croom did have the same qualifications as Shula. Unfortunately, neither one of them is a very good coach it appears.

There's a few guys out there taking the position coach/GA route-Eric Bienemy out at UCLA comes to mind. Those guys are going to be better head coaches for learning the job the right way.

TripleOption14
11/30/2006, 01:54 PM
What are your thoughts about running the ball on 3rd and long?

Not my area of coaching concentration. :D Strength and Conditioning Coaches is my thing. :D

But since you asked......depends on the situation.

Scott D
11/30/2006, 05:50 PM
The problem is that you don't get a lot of black GAs. If you're not a GA, you don't move up to position coach. If you're not a position coach, you don't move up to coordinator. If you're not a coordinator, you don't get the experience you need to be a head coach.

Why there's not a lot of black GAs is a subject for scholarly research. If I had to toss an idea off the top of my head as to why there's not a lot of black GA's, I would say that it likely has economic underpinnings-GAs make diddly/squat AND they have to pay for grad school.

I don't like the fact that blacks are underrepresented as head coaches, but I don't know that there's any way to fix it with the applicant base we have right now. The reason why the Croom/Shula deal was a big deal was that Croom did have the same qualifications as Shula. Unfortunately, neither one of them is a very good coach it appears.

There's a few guys out there taking the position coach/GA route-Eric Bienemy out at UCLA comes to mind. Those guys are going to be better head coaches for learning the job the right way.

FWIW, Croom's qualifications far exceeded Shula's. I honestly wonder how much the exposure of Papa Shula being at games influenced Alabama's selection of a guy who was a mediocre to poor offensive coordinator with the Buccaneers, not to mention his abortions as an offensive coach in Miami (twice) and Chicago.

Croom on the other hand spent 11 years as a graduate/assistant at Alabama, not to mention 17 years as a position coach/offensive coordinator in the NFL. Basically their boosters were in full out panic mode and made the wrong choice.

So Croom got stuck with a gutted program that was already far behind the rest of the SEC when he got there. Hell, it's been behind Ole Miss for the most part. Unfortunately, he was set up in a position to fail.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I phrased that poorly. Croom was much more qualified than Shula.

On the other hand, regardless of how bad MSU was when he took it over, has it shown improvement? It's a terrible job, for sure-Starkville is like a four hour drive from the nearest airport is what I've heard-but he should be showing some improvement year to year if he's a good coach.

Scott D
11/30/2006, 06:17 PM
well his records have been 3-8, 3-8, and this past season 3-9. His signature win came this season against who else...Alabama. 3 of their losses this season (Miss, Kentucky, Georgia) were by 3 points. Their big losses were by 14 to Arkansas, 28 to West Virginia, 31 to LSU (@ LSU), 34 to Auburn, and 15 to South Carolina. Their other loss was by 4 to Tulane early in the season.

Statistically they've made some improvements, but they still have to deal with the fact that they are the 'step-sister' school in the state, and the fact that the rest of the SEC isn't going to slow down for them to catch up.

mightysooner
11/30/2006, 06:18 PM
It's interesting to me that the BCA sees itself fit to pick on the SEC every year when I don't exactly see a plethora of black coaches in the Big 10, The Big East, The ACC, The MAC, or the WAC. Is it because they're in the south? Hmmmm.....

Scott D
11/30/2006, 06:24 PM
It's interesting to me that the BCA sees itself fit to pick on the SEC every year when I don't exactly see a plethora of black coaches in the Big 10, The Big East, The ACC, The MAC, or the WAC. Is it because they're in the south? Hmmmm.....

is it that or is it the media asking pointed questions about jobs like Alabama, in comparison to Michigan State?

Scott D
11/30/2006, 06:32 PM
I think a lot of schools have good to excellent candidates. I'd still like to see if Randy Shannon gets serious consideration for a head coaching job. I'd also like to see Mark Stoops get a shot. I think Lane Kiffin should get some consideration for a head coaching job as well.

Also, if he's truly going to be out in Arizona by the end of the season, it's possible that Dennis Green could be talked back into the college game. I think he, like June Jones is a better fit for college than the NFL.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 06:34 PM

Or is it because they've never hired a black head coach other than Sylvester Croom and many of the schools in the SEC refused to admit black students well into the 60s?

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 06:38 PM
Just curious...who is the last 'name' coach to move from one college HC position to a bigger school HC position AND be consistently successful (2-3 yrs at least)?
Holtz is the only one that comes to mind. And, even he was 'retired' for a while no?

I think you could make a case that major programs SHOULD pick the young but experienced college coordinator. I think the gamecocks have an excellent candidate. Anyone talking about him?

Urban Meyer is doing pretty well at Florida. Hasn't been there all that long, though.

Steve Spurrier moved from Dook to Florida and was pretty successful.

Mack Brown moved from UNC to Texas. He's pretty darn good, much as I hate to say it.

Franchione was successful in moving from Nevada to TCU to Alabama, though he's flamed out somewhat at aTm.

Dennis Erickson moved from Washington State to Miami and won a lot.

mightysooner
11/30/2006, 06:39 PM
is it that or is it the media asking pointed questions about jobs like Alabama, in comparison to Michigan State?

I certianly think the media has a strong hand in it also because they're southern teams and they assume there's some racial bias going on there because of that very thing IMO. I don't see the Big 10 or the ACC hiring black coaches either but all I hear about in the media is the SEC. I'd just like to know why people aren't challenging the media with those questions nationally. I don't think programs simply refuse to hire black candidates. I think that glaring lack of achievement at a high level for black coaches is more the problem than anything. Seems like every time I see a black coach take over a program, it slips into mediocrity or sub-mediocrity. I don't pretend to know why that is but I think you have to be able to demonstrate a successful track record before you can go claiming racial bias and demanding black coaches be 'given' jobs. I'd love to see a black coach succeed and win the national championship but I don't see that happening and haven't even seen anyone even gte close. The BCA needs someone to have some success I think.

mightysooner
11/30/2006, 06:43 PM
Or is it because they've never hired a black head coach other than Sylvester Croom and many of the schools in the SEC refused to admit black students well into the 60s?

Could be. I don't think black student admissions in the 60's really has anything to do with black coaches at SEC schools today though. Not sure how that could have any bearing on the situation. I think schools want to win and win now and there are tons of well qualified candidates out there who can deliver that, most of which aren't african american. If you were shopping for a black coach that you thought could take your school to the promised land, who would be at the top of your list? Anybody?

washington's fave
11/30/2006, 06:59 PM
Are you kidding me!!! I might be a white homey here in OK, but I think time will stop and HELL will begin freezing over before Mal Moore ever hires a Black Head Coach!!! Mark my word - it will never happen there!!! :eek:

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 07:08 PM
Could be. I don't think black student admissions in the 60's really has anything to do with black coaches at SEC schools today though. Not sure how that could have any bearing on the situation. I think schools want to win and win now and there are tons of well qualified candidates out there who can deliver that, most of which aren't african american. If you were shopping for a black coach that you thought could take your school to the promised land, who would be at the top of your list? Anybody?

I didn't say I thought that student admissions in the 60s has a lot to do with hiring practices today. I said that that may be why the SEC schools get singled out for attention.

As for black coaches that I'd hire...

Eric Bienemy could probably use a promotion to OC somewhere.
Jay Norvell would possibly be a good candidate for a head coaching job.

That's just off the top of my head.

King Crimson
11/30/2006, 07:17 PM
from seeing Bienemy at Colorado before he joined Dorrell's staff at UCLA for a HUGE raise....he's an in your face motivator (the posititon coach who ran off Marcus Houston) and great recruiter but i don't know how HC material Eric is....he's got some baggage too. he was for a time banned from the CU campus from his playing days.

Barney's recruting went south when Bienemy and another guy, longtime Buff, offensive coach who's name escapes me right now....went to Westwood to join Mister Excitement, Karl Dorrell.

OK2LA
11/30/2006, 07:21 PM
Not my area of coaching concentration. :D Strength and Conditioning Coaches is my thing. :D

Speaking of Strength and Conditioning . . .

ours: http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/8587/jerryschmidtbg4.jpg

theirs: http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1203/bushnmaddogft9.jpg

Now what kind of message does this send to your players?!?

He may be strong . . . but conditioned?!?

SIDE NOTE

I'm not sayin' that Jerry Schmidt looks like he is a poster boy for the Hitler Youth Movement -

but I'm not sayin he doesn't . . .

RACISTS!

Scott D
11/30/2006, 07:22 PM
I certianly think the media has a strong hand in it also because they're southern teams and they assume there's some racial bias going on there because of that very thing IMO. I don't see the Big 10 or the ACC hiring black coaches either but all I hear about in the media is the SEC. I'd just like to know why people aren't challenging the media with those questions nationally. I don't think programs simply refuse to hire black candidates. I think that glaring lack of achievement at a high level for black coaches is more the problem than anything. Seems like every time I see a black coach take over a program, it slips into mediocrity or sub-mediocrity. I don't pretend to know why that is but I think you have to be able to demonstrate a successful track record before you can go claiming racial bias and demanding black coaches be 'given' jobs. I'd love to see a black coach succeed and win the national championship but I don't see that happening and haven't even seen anyone even gte close. The BCA needs someone to have some success I think.

The Big-10 has also had African-American head coaches in the past..

Bobby Williams at Mich. St.
Dennis Green at Northwestern

Prior to Sylvester Croom what could the SEC point at?

usmc-sooner
11/30/2006, 07:41 PM
I think they should hire an illegal alien from Guatamala. Get a black OC, An American Indian DC, a Mexican recruiting Cord., an Oriental RB coach, and an Irish kicking coach.

dear lord not the Irish

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 08:05 PM
from seeing Bienemy at Colorado before he joined Dorrell's staff at UCLA for a HUGE raise....he's an in your face motivator (the posititon coach who ran off Marcus Houston) and great recruiter but i don't know how HC material Eric is....he's got some baggage too. he was for a time banned from the CU campus from his playing days.

Barney's recruting went south when Bienemy and another guy, longtime Buff, offensive coach who's name escapes me right now....went to Westwood to join Mister Excitement, Karl Dorrell.

I ain't saying he's ready for a HC gig as yet, but I think he could do well as an OC.

And we've had our own coordinators with some baggage that have gone on to be head coaches.

OUstud
11/30/2006, 08:19 PM
Has anyone mentioned South Carolina's Tyrone Nix? He was talked about earlier in the season as a black coach ready for a HC opportunity.

OUMallen
11/30/2006, 08:23 PM
This letter is crap, and either way it makes Bama suffer by either a)appearing racist, or b) wasting time and money interviewing people they wouldn't have interviewed and don't want to hire. These types of things perpetuate difference.

And when you think about it, it's pretty stupid. There's so much pressure to win, colleges are NOT selecting obviously less-qualified candidates based on being white.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 08:26 PM
This letter is crap, and either way it makes Bama suffer by either a)appearing racist, or b) wasting time and money interviewing people they wouldn't have interviewed and don't want to hire. These types of things perpetuate difference.

And when you think about it, it's pretty stupid. There's so much pressure to win, colleges are NOT selecting obviously less-qualified candidates based on being white.

All they did was send them a list of qualified black candidates and ask them if they had any particular qualifications in mind so they could narrow down the list some.

Personally, if I'm hiring a position, that's pretty helpful.

mrowl
11/30/2006, 08:39 PM
Franchione was successful in moving from Nevada to TCU to Alabama, though he's flamed out somewhat at aTm.

different discussion, but Franchione had Tomlinson at TCU. Thats why he won there. So I wouldn't include him.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 08:41 PM
Why not? Was Franchione not responsible for recruiting him? Even if he wasn't, wasn't Franchione the guy who had to coach him?

Blake had TGRW and some other d00dz. Doesn't mean that he did anything with him.

usmc-sooner
11/30/2006, 09:50 PM
I think black people should be in charge of everything. I want a black banker, dentist, doctor, lawyer, president, screw the little crap like football coaches leave that for the white peons.

the more I think about I'm leaving my wife, I want a black wife.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 09:54 PM
I think black people should be in charge of everything. I want a black banker, dentist, doctor, lawyer, president, screw the little crap like football coaches leave that for the white peons.

the more I think about I'm leaving my wife, I want a black wife.

Strangely enough, I have most of those.

usmc-sooner
11/30/2006, 09:58 PM
Strangely enough, I have most of those.

in Alaska?

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah. Crazy, huh? The guy I go to at the Credit Union is black. My dentist is black. My lawyer is black.

usmc-sooner
11/30/2006, 10:05 PM
Yeah. Crazy, huh? The guy I go to at the Credit Union is black. My dentist is black. My lawyer is black.

so you're one of those guys who gets off on having black folk work for you? Probably feel like your a plantation owner or something.

:D :D :D :D :D

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 10:08 PM
Jesus, man, if a plantation owner paid folks what I pay my dentist everything might have been cool. They'd've had people beating down their door to work.

OUMallen
11/30/2006, 11:03 PM
All they did was send them a list of qualified black candidates and ask them if they had any particular qualifications in mind so they could narrow down the list some.

Personally, if I'm hiring a position, that's pretty helpful.

I'm sorry, did you somehow refute my point? Nope. They don't need help. This isn't a group decision. This is a private decision, and it most certainly DOES set them up to look like a bunch of racists for not following suggestions. let them do their thing.

OUMallen
11/30/2006, 11:04 PM
Jesus, man, if a plantation owner paid folks what I pay my dentist everything might have been cool. They'd've had people beating down their door to work.

LOL!

royalfan5
11/30/2006, 11:48 PM
I'm surprised Charlie Strong hasn't gotten a head coaching job yet. I think he would be a tremendous hire for a program in need.