PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING BOWL FACTS

BIG_IKE
11/30/2006, 08:52 AM
and a few other things...

- Notre Dame has not won a Bowl Game since I was in High School...
and I had my 10 year reunion LAST year..:D

-The WAC Conference has never played in a BCS Game.

- An Independent school has never won a BCS Game
- The ACC is 1-7 in BCS Bowls.

-Florida State is the only school to play in more BCS Games than OU with 6

- Yale actually has the most MNC's with 18 (and that is not using the Bama method)

-UNLV, New Mexico State, Idaho, and Eastern Michigan are undefeated in Bowl Games.

- Texas Tech has never won an outright championship of any kind. EVER.

- Georgia Tech has just as many Bowl wins as Nebraska (22)

- Ole Miss has MORE Bowl wins than..Florida,Miami,Michigan, Notre Dame, and tOSU.

-Oregon, VTech, Texas Tech, Arkansas are ranked in the top 10 for WORST Bowl Winning %

- Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Texas A&M, VTech, Michigan, Florida and Arkansas all have LOSING BOWL RECORDS.

- Georgia Tech scored 222 points in a game in 1916

Miko
11/30/2006, 08:56 AM
Wow. That IS interesting! :pop:

Mich. has a losing bowl record? That is very surprising. I know they are 0-1 to us. :D

Readyfor8
11/30/2006, 09:04 AM
georgia tech scored 222 points in a game in 1916? I want to see a link to that please.

tulsaOUfan
11/30/2006, 09:41 AM
it wasn't hard to get into a lot of BCS games (Miami, FSU) in the former BE and ACC one-team conferences.

BIG_IKE
11/30/2006, 09:46 AM
Here is the link and Play by Play description for the 222 points.
John Heisman was the Georgia Tech coach.

http://www.cumberland.edu/about/gotc/pbp.html

TexasLidig8r
11/30/2006, 09:46 AM
georgia tech scored 222 points in a game in 1916? I want to see a link to that please.

Those fighting Bulldogs of Cumberland College went down to ignominious defeat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_v._Cumberland,_1916

RedStripe
11/30/2006, 10:41 AM
Cumberland College = pwn3d

fadada1
11/30/2006, 10:44 AM
hasn't bama won 68 bowl games???

or is that 68 national championships???

Luthor
11/30/2006, 11:17 AM
Those fighting Bulldogs of Cumberland College went down to ignominious defeat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_v._Cumberland,_1916

Don't we play those guys next year instead of Sam Houston? I hope they don't do option.

Boomer.....
11/30/2006, 11:23 AM
I guess that they only got 3 downs back in 1916.

- Yale actually has the most MNC's with 18
:confused:

TUSooner
11/30/2006, 11:27 AM
If you read the stories, you'll see that Cumberand didn't really even have a team that season, but were oligated to throw one together at the last minute to fulfill a contractual obligation to GT (which was also seeking revenge for a previous baseball rout, I think). It would be like the '56 Sooners playing an intramural team from OCU. :eek:

Seamus
11/30/2006, 12:56 PM

This made me laugh. :D

RedstickSooner
11/30/2006, 12:58 PM
Actually, Yale's national championships *ARE* using the Bama method -- they were awarded years later by organizations which "decided" Yale should've won a national championship that year.

There's no such thing as a real national championship 'til the Associated Press started voting for one back in, what, 1937? Something like that?

OU Adonis
11/30/2006, 02:12 PM
1936 is when the AP started doing it.

TexasLidig8r
11/30/2006, 02:42 PM
Don't we play those guys next year instead of Sam Houston? I hope they don't do option.

Yes.. we have Cumberland.. That's where Jevan Snead is transferring and they are converting their offense to a part time option/part time old UH run and rob the local convenience store offense.

Ash
11/30/2006, 02:53 PM
hasn't bama won 68 bowl games???

or is that 68 national championships???

Actually, Bama's 68 NCs came after the leather helmet era and before the BCS system. If we count all the times Bama has actually fielded a team, they have 567 national championships.

Ash
11/30/2006, 02:55 PM
Yes.. we have Cumberland.. That's where Jevan Snead is transferring and they are converting their offense to a part time option/part time old UH run and rob the local convenience store offense.

Don't worry Lid. Your defensive players are very familiar with the Criminal Gun & Run, it shouldn't taze them...err...faze them.

:P

All_Day_28
11/30/2006, 03:09 PM
Here is the link and Play by Play description for the 222 points.
John Heisman was the Georgia Tech coach.

http://www.cumberland.edu/about/gotc/pbp.html
I don't get it.. If you read just the first quarter of that play by play, how come after GT scores the other team is kicking off to them on the next play:confused:

BIG_IKE
11/30/2006, 04:08 PM
unting the ball because they were only losing yards when they ran their offense..

All_Day_28
11/30/2006, 04:24 PM
unting the ball because they were only losing yards when they ran their offense..
but if you read on it says they were kicking off.. they weren't even on offense..

AimForCenterMass
11/30/2006, 04:27 PM
Oklahoma State has a better bowl winning percentage at .625, compared to Oklahoma's .615.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are both in the top ten in best winning percentage (min. 10 games).

Oregon State is in the top 10 best winning percentage while Oregon is in the bottom 10.

Oklahoma is ranked 7th for most bowl appearances and tied 3rd for most bowl victories.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_football_bowl_records

cjames317
11/30/2006, 04:35 PM

You're funnier when your team sucks.

TrophyCollector
11/30/2006, 04:36 PM
I don't get it.. If you read just the first quarter of that play by play, how come after GT scores the other team is kicking off to them on the next play:confused:

Confusing the **** out of me too. Sometimes after Tech scores, they kickoff - other times after Tech scores Cumberland kicks off?

WTF? Was Gordo Reise the game official?

TrophyCollector
11/30/2006, 04:39 PM
And another WTF? Were they playing with a football or a large meat cleaver?

McDonald's punt sliced off his foot just, 11 yards out of bounds on the Tech.

cvsooner
11/30/2006, 05:55 PM
Confusing the **** out of me too. Sometimes after Tech scores, they kickoff - other times after Tech scores Cumberland kicks off?

No telling if this is an accurate re-telling of what transpired that day. But the rules have also changed through the years. Why do you have to kickoff after a safety is scored on you?

The value of a touchdown and field goal have changed through the years too. It used to be a touchdown was five points and with the extra point it was six. At one point I think a touchdown was only worth two points.

A field goal at one time was worth four points and then came down to the current three.

The most interesting fact of the Cumberland-Tech game to me is that the second half was shortened by 15 minutes. Obviously to keep them from running up the score.

Neither team gained a first down, since every Tech play resulted in a score.

Harry Beanbag
11/30/2006, 06:04 PM
The most interesting fact of the Cumberland-Tech game to me is that the second half was shortened by 15 minutes. Obviously to keep them from running up the score.

Was Dennis Franchione Cumberland's coach?

swardboy
11/30/2006, 06:10 PM
Somewhere in my foggy brain I think I read that in early football history, the team that scored on had to kick-off to the scoring team...however, I can stand corrected on that.

All_Day_28
11/30/2006, 07:58 PM

WTF? Was Gordo Reise the game official?
I'm starting to think this is fake..

Ash
11/30/2006, 09:18 PM
This site has it on record as well. Ironically, it was the next season, 1917 that stands as the most points scored in a season by GaTech.

College football data warehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/georgia_tech/yearly_results.php?year=1915)

Salt City Sooner
11/30/2006, 11:56 PM
"The WAC Conference has never played in a BCS Game."
It's stretching it a bit because it was pre-BCS era, but I do know that Arizona St. (who went undefeated that year) beat Nebbish in the '75 Fiesta as a member of the WAC.