PDA

View Full Version : It's hard being America's Most Hated - Miami...

Readyfor8
11/30/2006, 03:27 AM
Miami finally owning up to being the most hated team in America? I could do a whole blog on this one statement by a Safety named Meriweather from the University of Miami.

But instead here is the ESPN article... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2680158

Miami may be "the most hated" but not by voters who have given them 5 championships in less than 30 years in Football, a sport that is as much a popularity contest as Mrs Universe or a High School Class President race. Sure Miami has played great over the past 30 years and they have earned alot of that respect, but to say you are "the most hated team in America" has a ring of a persecution complex to it.

Sure, I hate Miami and you hate Miami. But if FIU or FAU or whatever upstart in the state of Florida had a record like Boise St. this year don't you think the question would change from "will they make a BCS Bowl" to "should they play Ohio St. in the National Championship." If the Big East was the Big West, and Miami University was Miamuh (Oklahomans know what I'm talking about) University would they have made the historic run that they have made from almost scrapping Football altogether to National Powerhouse?

In short, cry some more and get into an on-the-field fight in your MPC Computers Bowl Game, and you may be the biggest disapointment in college football, but you will still be ranked pre-season next year and when you come to Norman you will still be ranked in all probablity.

11/30/2006, 07:10 AM
I like Coker. If I'm not mistaken, he was once an Oklahoma high school football coach. Born in Okemah, I can't dislike the guy. So I really hoped he'd make it at Miami.

Something bad happend. Not sure what, but I'd bet he gave his players too much credit for being "men." I'd really like to see him land at a WAC and dominate. He's a good guy from OKLAHOMA.

As for the Miami program, they'll reload with a hotshot, I'm sure. Good golly, I hate Miami. I once drove two days to watch our SOONERS lose to Jimmy. Good googly moogly, was that a bad trip.

AlbqSooner
11/30/2006, 07:20 AM
I am fairly sure he was coach of the Claremore Zebras.

11/30/2006, 07:23 AM
Awesome.

FourKings
11/30/2006, 08:59 AM
I like Coker as well, he's never really come across as an *** or anything, hate Miami for sure tho, I think its the freakin worst school in america!
Its not call Thug U for nothing!

BudSooner
11/30/2006, 09:22 AM
PERSONAL
Full Name: Larry Edward Coker

Coaching Career
2001-06 Head Coach, University of Miami
1995-2000 Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, University of Miami
1995 Quarterbacks, Ohio State
1993-94 Defensive Backs, Ohio State
1990-92 Offensive Coordinator, University of Oklahoma
1983-89 Offensive Coordinator, Oklahoma State
1980-82 Offensive Coordinator, Tulsa
1979 Running Backs/Quarterbacks, Tulsa
1977-78 Head Coach, Claremore (Okla.) High School
1971-76 Head Coach, Fairfax (Okla.) High School

OU,OSU and Tulsa, nice to know he had his in state career covered. ;)

tulsaOUfan
11/30/2006, 09:37 AM
I don't think Miami is the most hated. They are the most thug-ish which makes them the most disgusting.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 10:24 AM
and everyone wonders why cooper got fired

sooneron
11/30/2006, 10:34 AM
That running call against texas in 90(?) before we tried the game winning kick was friggin retarded. No timeouts... [shakes head]

MamaMia
11/30/2006, 10:37 AM
Hate is a strong word and should be reserved to things of which one harbors much emotion. I merely dislike them.

Dio
11/30/2006, 10:37 AM
My only gripes w/ Coker go back to our early 90's offensive scheme when he was our OC:

1st down: RB run right
2nd down: RB run left
3rd down: Incomplete Gundy pass
4th down: Punt

Repeat ad nausem

Luthor
11/30/2006, 10:53 AM
I think Coker may have been too well liked and not enough respected like Chan Gayley. He obviously knows how to coach because he won a ring, albeit with Butch Davis' players.

I think he needs to come to Texas for a couple of years under Mack Brown to learn the "CEO" philosophy of head coaching.