PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper on Peterson's Draft Status

colleyvillesooner
11/29/2006, 01:34 PM
Markus (Seattle, WA): How, if at all, does Adrian Peterson's history of injuries at Oklahoma affect his draft status? And while some combination of all of these and more, does it have a significant impact, does it depend on the physical examinations he will undergo through the draft process, or is it more weighted to the specific organizational and draft philosophies of the various NFL franchises...?

Mel Kiper: (1:24 PM ET ) I think it will affect it, in terms of being a part of the discussion. I think he's going to be in the top 10 overall. It's not a given that he's going to be the first RB taken. Marshawn Lynch from Cal is pushing him. He's right there with Peterson. It's a two-horse race for the first RB taken.

I agree that his injuries, although last years high ankle sprain is not a big deal, will be looked at, but I can't see anyway a team would pass on Peterson if he's there for Lynch. Lynch is a great back, but even with some injury past, I don't think Peterson is the kind of back you skip.

Thoughts?

Hatfield
11/29/2006, 01:46 PM
when you look at the injuries ad has had i think it is clear they are nothing serious enough to warrant taking someone over him

OUMallen
11/29/2006, 01:47 PM
I don't really consider his injuries to be injury prone. They are all individual. Ankle is fine and you have to expect that. The sep shoulder was a bit of a long fall according to reports. The only odd one is the collarbone...none of them are chronic.

Mjcpr
11/29/2006, 01:50 PM
What is Lynch's involvement in the passing game at Cal? Pass receiving and blocking are MUCH bigger deals to the NFL and if Lynch is good at both, there's a chance he could go higher I suppose. If he wasn't involved much (like AD), then AD probably goes higher.

colleyvillesooner
11/29/2006, 01:51 PM
He's their fourth leading receiver with 30 catches for 286 yards and 4 TD's

Mjcpr
11/29/2006, 01:56 PM
He's their fourth leading receiver with 30 catches for 286 yards and 4 TD's

That'll help him.

bluedogok
11/29/2006, 01:59 PM
I would rather Peterson go a little later, then he might be on a better team instead of being stuck with the Texans, Lions (please don't let them get another Oklahoma back) or some other awful team.

mrowl
11/29/2006, 01:59 PM
If he is not a projected top 5 pick, he should not enter the draft. By waiting through an injury free senior season, top 5 would be a no brainer.

(of course injury free is a big deal.)

stoopified
11/29/2006, 02:06 PM
I think will and SHOULD go this year(after the Fiesta Bowl of course).

starrca23
11/29/2006, 02:12 PM
I don't really care where he goes in the draft. He is going to be an okay NFL back at worst. Personally I think if would be funny if he got drafted by the Bears and little Ced got traded. Chicago is almost OU's grad school anyway. It will never happen, but it would be funny.

william_brasky
11/29/2006, 02:12 PM
AD is doomed. He had better stay another year. :D

Scott D
11/29/2006, 02:17 PM
I would rather Peterson go a little later, then he might be on a better team instead of being stuck with the Texans, Lions (please don't let them get another Oklahoma back) or some other awful team.

Lions would be more apt to draft Dwayne Jarrett than AD based upon their history in the Millen Era. That being said, they'll draft Sweed.

Rhino
11/29/2006, 02:20 PM
Unless Arizona decides to kick Edgerrin to the curb, it's Oakland, Cleveland or Houston. They're the crappiest teams with the most need at RB.

I can see Houston or Arizona maybe going for defense, and Cleveland maybe for OL, but there's no way Oakland passes him up if he's available.

Detroit and Tampa Bay are also pretty crappy running teams, but I think they'll keep what they have for now.

I could also see a team like Pittsburgh trading up to get him, which I would love to see happen.

colleyvillesooner
11/29/2006, 02:22 PM
Unless Arizona decides to kick Edgerrin to the curb, it's Oakland, Cleveland or Houston. They're the crappiest teams with the most need at RB.

I can see Houston or Arizona maybe going for defense, and Cleveland maybe for OL, but there's no way Oakland passes him up if he's available.

Detroit and Tampa Bay are also pretty crappy running teams, but I think they'll keep what they have for now.

I could also see a team like Pittsburgh trading up to get him, which I would love to see happen.

I know it's not the Bronco's protocol, but they get two picks this year (theirs and Washington's). They could be draft day movers.

Pats also have two picks

I would think Oakland, not needing a QB (Quinn) would think about trading outta the #1 spot to get picks.

JohnnyMack
11/29/2006, 02:24 PM
I think Mel Kiper rapes goats.

SoonerLB
11/29/2006, 02:25 PM
I know I am in the minority around here, but I think he would be smart to stay in school, get another year of maturity, hopefully have an injury free season, then reap the rewards. AD is still young and has some growing/filling out to do IMO, and the talent he is blessed with isn't going to just disappear over night.
It is no one's business whether he goes pro now or not, other than his and his family's. You'd think everyone around here was waiting to get some of the money the way a lot of you try and push him into the draft.
It's his life, let him do what he thinks is best. I doubt he cares what any of us think anyway.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant, don't mean it that way. Let's give the guy a break, and live with his decision, once he makes it.

william_brasky
11/29/2006, 02:33 PM
I'm with you SoonerLB.

food for thought:
1 - he hasn't won the heisman.
2 - we haven't won an NC with him on campus.

2 very doable things for next season.

GoState
11/29/2006, 02:38 PM

You speak the truth about the Lions. Terry Miller, Billy Sims, and Barry Sanders (and anyone else?) were all lost to Detroit. I remember one play where Sims jumped up, planted his foot in the chest of some defender, and leapt over him. Good stuff. Just think what might have been if Barry or Billy ran behind decent lines and had solid QBs/WRs to take some pressure off of them.

I agree about Adrian though. You just can't pass on a talent like his. If McGahee can get drafted in the first round following a total knee rebuild before they knew if it was going to heal, Peterson should absolutely go top five.

TripleOption14
11/29/2006, 02:39 PM
Its Cleveland for AD ladies and gentlemen. They're the only team that will have a top 5 pick and the need for a top RB. Which suits me fine because i'll get to see it unfold right up the road. :D

Scott D
11/29/2006, 02:40 PM
He's not going to the Lions people...they are too busy stacking their roster with Longhorns.

yur-out
11/29/2006, 02:46 PM
(and anyone else?)
Steve Owens

DrZaius
11/29/2006, 02:49 PM
I think that the combine is going to affect his draft spot more than anything else. When he completes the combine all of the scouts and teams are going to marvel at the skills and the complete physical specimen that he is.

He will then go as the first back taken in the draft.

IMO

TripleOption14
11/29/2006, 02:54 PM
I think that the combine is going to affect his draft spot more than anything else. When he completes the combine all of the scouts and teams are going to marvel at the skills and the complete physical specimen that he is.

He will then go as the first back taken in the draft.

IMO

I doubt he goes to the combine. There is no reason to. He is not going to get any higher as far as being a draft prospect is concerned. Everyone already knows what he can do no need to show it again.

P.S. Your avatar is EPPPPIIIICCCC :D

jk the sooner fan
11/29/2006, 02:59 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rhino
11/29/2006, 03:13 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Better them than Oakland, Cleveland, Arizona or Houston. At least the Steelers have a semblance of a team.

Really, I'd like to see him go to da Bears. But that ain't happenin'.

jk the sooner fan
11/29/2006, 03:17 PM
if Arizona got a good coach and the owner pulled his head out of his fourth point of contact....there's ALOT of young talent on that team....wouldnt mind seeing him there.....growing up a Steeler hater...phew

doesnt matter really, he'll be fun to watch no matter where......

oakland :mad:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/29/2006, 04:46 PM
Two names that show Kiper doesnt know as much as he thinks he does: Tim Couch and Charlie Frye

BoomerJack
11/29/2006, 05:43 PM
I think that Peterson is going to come to the realization that if he stays at O.U. for next year, he'll have better linemen blocking for him than he would at any of the NFL teams that would have chances at high picks.

Big Red Ron
11/29/2006, 05:49 PM
If I were AD, I can honestly say that I would come back next year. If he doesn't, not knowing what would have happened if I'd stayed in school syndrome would kill me.

He has a fat insurance policy now.

He is a college degree away from being THE face of the NFL. The guy is smart, good lookin and a freaking FREAK athlete.

A degree, if he is injury prone, and the chance at winning both the Heisman and a NC next season would force me to come back.

snp
11/29/2006, 05:59 PM
Its Cleveland for AD ladies and gentlemen. They're the only team that will have a top 5 pick and the need for a top RB. Which suits me fine because i'll get to see it unfold right up the road. :D

Hi, I'm the Texans. Nice to meet you.

TripleOption14
11/29/2006, 06:09 PM
Hi, I'm the Texans. Nice to meet you.

I think the Texans will be happy with Wali Lundy in the upcoming weeks and eventually next year. Not to mention Samkon Gado and Ron Dayne. I know those guys aren't AD but I think the Texans need help elsewhere before the RB position. The guys they have are serviceable.

The Maestro
11/29/2006, 06:13 PM
All I know is I am not a huge NFL fan so whoever ends up with AD will probably become my new favorite team.

OSUAggie
11/29/2006, 06:15 PM
How ****ed is Allen Patrick if Peterson comes back next year?

snp
11/29/2006, 06:16 PM
I think the Texans will be happy with Wali Lundy in the upcoming weeks and eventually next year. Not to mention Samkon Gado and Ron Dayne. I know those guys aren't AD but I think the Texans need help elsewhere before the RB position. The guys they have are serviceable.

I think Kubiak is much more likely to draft an OL or trade down for some more help, but AD would be a gigantic upgrade over those 3. Their rushing sucks.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 06:22 PM
How ****ed is Allen Patrick if Peterson comes back next year?

probably not much, he's guaranteed 150 carries while peterson is hurt ;)

TopDawg
11/29/2006, 06:44 PM
probably not much, he's guaranteed 150 carries while peterson is hurt ;)

http://www.karimisms.com/Media/commercial_4x.jpg

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 06:50 PM
you know, if they went out and found a qb that could run the zone read that would be beyond nasty

Big Red Ron
11/29/2006, 07:18 PM
How ****ed is Allen Patrick if Peterson comes back next year?I think Paul Thompson can answer this one...*caugh* Jason White *caugh*

SoonerGM
11/29/2006, 08:18 PM
maybe peterson should just throw a big fit until he gets traded to a team he likes, like that eli manning guy :)

KingDavid
11/29/2006, 09:08 PM
Lions would be more apt to draft Dwayne Jarrett than AD based upon their history in the Millen Era. That being said, they'll draft Sweed.

heh.

KingDavid
11/29/2006, 09:12 PM
Some of the things Stoops has hinted at - about AD not paying attention to all of the "experts" and him doing what he wants to do - being a man who makes up his own mind . . . those things have made me pause and wonder what AD will actually do when it comes time to choose. A few months ago, it was a foregone conclusion that he'd leave. But I don't think it's a done deal. Truly.

Oldnslo
11/29/2006, 10:15 PM
Adrian? It's me, Matt Leinart. I could've bought a ****ing ballroom with the draft money the year before. See you soon!

Tulsa_Fireman
11/29/2006, 10:16 PM
He's a Packer. Bank on it.

Strong downhill style back with a quality lateral move, good possession skills, running behind a young, aggressive offensive front. A back on the heels of a career in Ahman Green, whose only consistency is being injured. No heir apparent at running back (where Vernand Morency has made strides, but isn't the answer as his pass blocking and receiving has been eerily suspect). Addressed linebacker, receiver, and O-Line the previous draft. Not to mention an amazing talent that could very well be the product a ballclub leans on as they stumble through the post-Favre years.

Add the crappy season my Pack has had to the last few heartbeats left that Brett provides and to me, it says running back. After all, the road to the promised land is a paved highway, not a big ol' jet airliner.

And AD looks like the best fit.

ashley
11/30/2006, 06:22 AM
If I was his age and they offered 40-50M I would go. No choice.

TripleOption14
11/30/2006, 07:05 AM
He's a Packer. Bank on it.

Strong downhill style back with a quality lateral move, good possession skills, running behind a young, aggressive offensive front. A back on the heels of a career in Ahman Green, whose only consistency is being injured. No heir apparent at running back (where Vernand Morency has made strides, but isn't the answer as his pass blocking and receiving has been eerily suspect). Addressed linebacker, receiver, and O-Line the previous draft. Not to mention an amazing talent that could very well be the product a ballclub leans on as they stumble through the post-Favre years.

Add the crappy season my Pack has had to the last few heartbeats left that Brett provides and to me, it says running back. After all, the road to the promised land is a paved highway, not a big ol' jet airliner.

And AD looks like the best fit.

Its possible. But Green Bay is gonna have a pick somewhere from 10-15 i would imagine and i don't know if he drops that far. M. Lynch seems like a better fit for Green Bay. They do a lot of screens and things of that nature ( not that AD can't do any of that) and i think Lynch is a better back catching the ball out of the backfield.