PDA

View Full Version : Keith Nichol to Visit OU

jdsooner
11/29/2006, 12:53 PM
By Blake Jackson
The Oklahoman

Bob Stoops and Josh Heupel visited the home of quarterback Keith Nichol, a Michigan State commitment, on Sunday night.

Their message: OU wants you!

Nichol must have liked what he heard, because he and his parents scheduled a somewhat impromptu official visit to Norman immediately following their meeting with the Sooner coaches.

The four-star, dual-threat passer will be on campus Wednesday and Thursday to, as his father Gary put it, “see the bricks and mortar for himself.”

Now, Oklahoma seems closer than ever to landing a much-needed quarterback prospect for 2007.

“My feeling was, if he’d like to come and you folks would like to have him, why wait until next week?” Gary Nichol said of the meeting. Keith was unavailable for comment. “If we can piece it together for this week, why not come and get done with what Keith needs to get done?”

Nichol’s visit comes on the heels of Michigan State hiring a successor to football

starrca23
11/29/2006, 01:46 PM
Here's hoping he has a good time.

chbrew09
11/29/2006, 01:46 PM
wow...that sounds like great news...first QB I'm actually feeling optimism about in awhile

chbrew09
11/29/2006, 01:48 PM
Here's hoping he has a good time.

but i mean, honestly, could there have been worse weather for a recruit visit? We went from yesterday saying "yes, come and get some!" to today, saying "oh ****...it's really cold and wet, nevermind"

jdsooner
11/29/2006, 01:59 PM
True. He is from Michigan, so maybe he won't mind too much.

jdsooner
11/29/2006, 02:10 PM
During his first day on the job as Michigan State football coach, Mark Dantonio made sure to make contact with the family of Elite 11 quarterback Keith Nichol.

Dantonio talked with Keith Nichol's father Gary Nichol for about 35 minutes Monday evening. The Nichols will spend more time with Dantonio this weekend when they take an official visit to East Lansing.

Retaining Dan Enos would be a positive for Michigan State with Keith Nichol.
"One of the things he wanted to convey to us was that he had the will and that he believed that he was going to bring Michigan State football back to greatness," said Gary Nichol. "That is his intention and he wanted to make that intention very clear to me and our family."

During their conversation, Dantonio let Gary Nichol know how happy he was to be the head coach at Michigan State. Mr. Nichol let Dantonio know that they were happy that he was named the head football coach in East Lansing.

Gary Nichol did not talk to Dantonio about the plans he has for a staff in East Lansing. But Keith Nichol hopes that Dantonio will retain current quarterbacks coach Dan Enos.

"When Keith committed to Michigan State two summers ago, Doug Nussmeier was the quarterbacks coach and it was tough for him to see coach Nussmeier go," said Mr. Nichol. "Keith has developed the same type of relationship with Dan Enos and I can't say enough about how much Keith likes Dan Enos. Keith has definitely made a connection with Dan Enos and we'd like to see him stay at Michigan State if possible."

Dantonio also answered questions about his relationship with players. Keith Nichol has an outstanding relationship with his high school football coach Noel Dean who is very demanding, but also very close to his players.

"Keith is used to a strong leader," said Mr. Nichol. "He wants a strong coach, but he also wants one that cares about him as a person and as a human being. I really got the sense from coach Dantonio that he was that type of person."

BUSY WEEK FOR THE NICHOL FAMILY

The idea of taking an official visit to Michigan State seems foreign to the Nichol family, as they have spent so much time in East Lansing on unofficial visits during the time Keith Nichol has been committed to the Spartans.

"Coach Dantonio wants to set up what he is calling an official visit," said Mr. Nichol. "The funny thing about it is that we are such a blue collar family, that we don't think in terms of official visit or just going over there to throw the football around. We are trying to be obliging and it would be a great thing if there were some recruits there or a guy around there like Mark Dell that Keith has made a connection with."

Keith Nichol's official visit to East Lansing will come on the heels of a midweek visit to Oklahoma. Sooners head coach Bob Stoops was in the Nichol family's hometown of Lowell (Mich.) for an in-home visit Sunday night.

"It was a good visit," said Gary Nichol. "Bob Stoops is a good coach and a good man and we felt the same way about Josh Heupel."

Nichol remains committed to Michigan State and still plans on enrolling early. Mr. Nichol believes that people are making too much out of his son's decision to take an official visit to OU.

"We are not looking at this trip to Oklahoma any differently than the trips we have taken to Purdue, Iowa, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Michigan, or USC," said Gary Nichol. "We look at this as a fact-finding trip. When you use that term it sounds like you are trying to minimalize things and this is not a small thing, it is a big thing. But this trip is a fact-finding trip for Keith."

The Nichols are eager to get this week over with. They want to see what Oklahoma has to offer as well as spend more time getting to know Dantonio this weekend. After that, Gary Nichol said that both he and his wife Patrice are looking forward to spending some quality time with their son before sending him off to college.

Keith Nichol has already sent the paperwork for early enrollment into Michigan State. He would begin classes in January.

Bloomer_Sooner
11/29/2006, 02:18 PM
I heard we've got him in the bag, baby.

jdsooner
11/29/2006, 02:30 PM
I heard we've got him in the bag, baby.

How do you know this, Bloomer???

Widescreen
11/29/2006, 02:35 PM
How could you question his credibility? He's got 3 whole frickin posts!

birddog
11/29/2006, 04:43 PM
How could you question his credibility? He's got 3 whole frickin posts!

you're killing me here, widescreen.

i hope we get the SOB. what kind of facilities does msu have?

jdsooner
11/29/2006, 05:34 PM
The Keith Nichol watch continues. Nichol, the four-star quarterback from Lowell, Mich., is scheduled to be on campus Wednesday at Oklahoma for an official visit with the Sooners. Nichol, though, has repeatedly told the media in Michigan that he has no intentions of switching his commitment from the Spartans to the Sooners. On Tuesday, Nichol told a local television station that he is solid with the Spartans. But still, Spartan fans probably should be a little concerned because Nichol is making the visit to Norman with his father and his football coach and the Sooners have a gaping hole at the quarterback spot. Regardless there's no question Mark Dantonio has made keeping Nichol in green and white priority No. 1.

Bloomer_Sooner
11/30/2006, 11:31 AM
I registered here to tell you this, he is OU bound.

jdsooner
11/30/2006, 11:53 AM
Well, I thought your lack of posts could be evidence that you are an insider. Welcome to Sooner fans and I hope you are right! I find it interesting that his father and his high school coach came with him to OU.

Widescreen
11/30/2006, 12:24 PM
So I wonder how his visit went.

jdsooner
11/30/2006, 12:42 PM
I wonder if he is still here, stuck in the snow.

starrca23
11/30/2006, 05:06 PM
wouldn't the snow help him feel at home, he is from up North? Someone tell him it's a sign from God!!

Rhino
11/30/2006, 05:10 PM
wouldn't the snow help him feel at home, he is from up North? Someone tell him it's a sign from God!! DUN DUN DUN
He's been...

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/1479/untitleddr0.jpg

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 06:31 PM
i'd be surprised he got here. they've been cancelling flights to dallas, tulsa and okc like they thought dean was on them...

Mjcpr
11/30/2006, 08:00 PM
I thought he was supposed to come in on Wednesday.

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 08:46 PM
I flew into Tulsa Wed night. No flights were cancelled then.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 08:46 PM
i'd be surprised he got here. they've been cancelling flights to dallas, tulsa and okc like they thought dean was on them...

He's been in OK since Tuesday. A poster on Insider saw him eating with Heupel on Campus Corner.

He's apparently still there-the weather isn't allowing his flight out. Don't know how that affects the 48-hour rule.

The word is that the visit is going QUITE well.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 09:42 PM
normally it means leon washington spends 3 days in the dallas airport

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 10:09 PM
Hopefully its at the nice new Hyatt regency in the new terminal D DFW built. That entire terminal is one of the nicest in the world. Hotel is nice as well. Haven't tried the Admirals Club there yet though.

Widescreen
11/30/2006, 10:09 PM
Don't know how that affects the 48-hour rule.
Here come the sanctions.

Lack of Institutional Control of the Weather

By the way, if a HS kid is coming in the spring, when can they sign their LOI? Do they still have to wait until signing day or is it like juco where they can sign early?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 10:14 PM
Hopefully its at the nice new Hyatt regency in the new terminal D DFW built. That entire terminal is one of the nicest in the world. Hotel is nice as well. Haven't tried the Admirals Club there yet though.

the? there are 4 or 5. i'm going to go meander over to the little one in ohaire tomorry.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 10:15 PM
Here come the sanctions.

By the way, if a HS kid is coming in the spring, when can they sign their LOI? Do they still have to wait until signing day or is it like juco where they can sign early?

its around the 20th though they aren't required to sign one.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 10:52 PM
Here come the sanctions.

They just show up on campus. Once they enroll, they can't transfer anywhere else without penalty.

Ruuuuuufus
Well it looks like he has gone ahead and committed to OU.

starrca23
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Frozen Sooner
11/30/2006, 10:55 PM
Well it looks like he has gone ahead and committed to OU.

No ****??

AWESOME!

a_rizzle
11/30/2006, 11:00 PM
Yep. It's on Spartanmag.com front page

Widescreen
11/30/2006, 11:03 PM
I suspect he's going to go ahead and meet with the MSU folks so they'll probably get another chance to switch him back. That's entirely my opinion and it's not based on any actual knowledge. I'm just going on what his plans were and what would seem to be the "right" thing to do. We'll see.

birddog
11/30/2006, 11:04 PM
oooo, splendid.

starrca23
11/30/2006, 11:09 PM
Hallelujah!!!

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2006, 11:24 PM
I registered here to tell you this, he is OU bound.
Welcome to the board Bloomer, keep the good news coming! :D

jdsooner
11/30/2006, 11:28 PM
Channel 9 says that Nichol will be a Sooner!

Widescreen
11/30/2006, 11:33 PM
I just went to a couple of MSU boards and their fans are resigned to him being gone. I'm a little surprised there wasn't any mention of maybe their new coach trying to turn this around. Maybe they feel they can't compete with OU in recruiting or something?

jdsooner
11/30/2006, 11:38 PM
Mark Dantonio, the new coach, called him and talked to him Monday night.

BASSooner
12/1/2006, 12:11 AM
saweetness. Just how good is this kid? Anybody seen film of him?

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 12:32 AM
I suspect he's going to go ahead and meet with the MSU folks so they'll probably get another chance to switch him back. That's entirely my opinion and it's not based on any actual knowledge. I'm just going on what his plans were and what would seem to be the "right" thing to do. We'll see.

He's canceled his visit to MSU.

The Consumate Showman
12/1/2006, 12:35 AM
saweetness. Just how good is this kid? Anybody seen film of him?

Good arm and a quick release. Pretty accurate and and a fast runner when he needs to be.

OklahomaTuba
12/1/2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks John L! MSU just can't win in the end, can they? Typical aggies.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/texmsu/061001_slapjls-1.gif

MSU sucks ***. Its a pathetic school and an even more pathetic football program. Nichol made a good decision for his future by not going to that wasteland.

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 01:03 AM
Just read an AWESOME thread on an MSU board.

About 1/3 of them were "Kid probably made the right choice" kinds of things.

The rest were accusations that OU either paid him or promised him a starting job.

I was thinking "Wow, these guys really don't know how Stoops operates, like, at all."

sooner KB
12/1/2006, 01:12 AM
Here's a video of Nichol and his team in a game:

video (http://www.wzzm13.com/sports/2006football/sidelines_player_1.aspx?aid=11382&sid=64425&bw=)

TripleOption14
12/1/2006, 07:59 AM
That cool that we picked a good QB. My question is so say this holds where does OU recruiting go from here? I mean its gotta be somewhere on the defensive side of the ball right? Maybe safties or LB's?

MI Sooner
12/1/2006, 09:05 AM
I've seen him play in person a few times, but never during his senior year. I don't think he has outstanding arm-stregth, but he's pretty accurate. He's a pretty good runner but not exceptionally fast.

The Grand Rapids Press is reporting that Stoops said he isn't recruiting another QB this year, or next. I was a little surprised to hear that, given how badly it burned us with Bomar. What does this mean for getting Flynn? If Nichol doesn't work out, we'll really be up ****-creek in two to three years.

That said, I'm still happy we got him. I really doubt he'll have the same troubles as Bomar or Rawls.

Scott D
12/1/2006, 09:24 AM
I've seen him play in person a few times, but never during his senior year. I don't think he has outstanding arm-stregth, but he's pretty accurate. He's a pretty good runner but not exceptionally fast.

The Grand Rapids Press is reporting that Stoops said he isn't recruiting another QB this year, or next. I was a little surprised to hear that, given how badly it burned us with Bomar. What does this mean for getting Flynn? If Nichol doesn't work out, we'll really be up ****-creek in two to three years.

That said, I'm still happy we got him. I really doubt he'll have the same troubles as Bomar or Rawls.

well to be fair...on campus right now there is Thompson (sen.), Halzle (soph.), Bradford (freshman redshirting), and McEachern whom I think is a junior? That still leaves 4 QB's on campus next year, and 3 the following year.

The Consumate Showman
12/1/2006, 09:36 AM

Wow. Did they get an official quote from Stoops or is that just hearsay? I would bet some good money that we go after one these kids next year at QB:

Andrew Luck - Texas product (highest ranked in Tex next year)
Nathan Stanley - Seq. Tahlequah kid
Wyatt Kinnamon - Chickasha south-paw
and another kid from Adair...name escapes me know...help?

The Consumate Showman
12/1/2006, 09:40 AM
That cool that we picked a good QB. My question is so say this holds where does OU recruiting go from here? I mean its gotta be somewhere on the defensive side of the ball right? Maybe safties or LB's?

Seems like Stoops reeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyy wants Christian Scott right now. Then you've got to look at some kids like Romine on the OL and a couple other prospects on the OL to go along with Romine. Then we're also still looking for another reciever for this class. Kirkendoll, Bryant, and Tolliver are the big names, but there are some others floating around, Darnius Moore being one.

I'm wondering if we'll get many more recruits until the Army AA game and afterwards. Also, remember we still have an offer out to Zach Lee and the Big XII might change his mind....MIGHT.

Frozen Sooner
12/1/2006, 11:30 AM
Ahmed Paige is another possibility at WR

TheHumanAlphabet
12/1/2006, 11:35 AM
So what about the JUCO doods we were after???

MI Sooner
12/1/2006, 11:43 AM
Oops, lack of reading comprehension on my part. Here's the quote from the GR Press:

"I am exited for Keith," Dean said. "Keith has an opportunity that no other high school quarterback in the country does right now. The opportunity to start for a team that consistently vies for a national championships and will again next season is incredible. Not a lot of other high school quarterbacks do that.

"Stoops said that Keith has been their main high school quarterback recruit for the last month and a half. He said he will not recruit another quarterback for next season."

I misread the last sentence, as "will not recruit another quarter back next season," not "...for next season."

Sorry.

BASSooner
12/1/2006, 04:52 PM
how are his leadership skills? that will be the most important thing because if he starts, he can take this team VERY far.

jdsooner
12/1/2006, 04:55 PM
By Blake Jackson
The Oklahoman

LOWELL, Mich. — Maybe it was the winter storm that made Keith Nichol feel at home in the Sooner State.

Maybe it was the similarities between Kevin Wilson’s offense and the one he’s been running up North.

Whatever the case, it was enough to sway the four-star, Lowell (Mich.) quarterback out of his commitment to Michigan State and into the Crimson and Cream. Nichol orally committed — this time to Oklahoma — Thursday during a blustery official visit to Norman.

"Keith was so impressed with the people and players and the environment at Oklahoma," said the player’s father Gary Nichol. "He just loved it here.”

Nichol had been committed to Michigan State since July 2005. But the recent firing of head coach John L. Smith and subsequent hiring of Cincinnati’s Mark Dantonio loosened the Spartans’ grasp on the dual-threat passer.

Dantonio’s first order of business as MSU head man: Call Nichol to make sure his commitment was still secure.
It was.

Until Thursday.

"(Dantonio) was fine with Keith’s decision and he appreciated the fact that Keith called and talked to him directly," said Gary Nichol. "He told us that if anything changed to give him a call back."

That doesn’t seem likely, as Nichol — a December graduate — plans to enroll at OU in January. He will be eligible for spring practices with the team.

Nichol’s commitment might be one of the fastest turnarounds for an Oklahoma prospect in years. It began in earnest Sunday, when Bob Stoops and Josh Heupel visited the Nichol’s home just hours removed from winning the Big 12 South title.

The quarterback and his family were impressed with the house call. Enough to schedule a somewhat impromptu official visit just three days later.

“It’s Keith saying, ‘You know what Dad? I like coach Stoops and I like coach Heupel and I would like to go see Oklahoma,’” Gary Nichol said Tuesday. “Then I’m faced with, ‘Son, I can’t help you or, Yep. Let’s go.’”

Gary Nichol said his son had no intention of committing to Oklahoma during his visit to Norman. But the longer he stayed, the more awestruck he became with the OU football program.

From the coaches to the players to the facilities. By the time the Nichol family left campus Thursday, Keith was a Sooner.

"He knew today that it was what he wanted," said Gary Nichol. "It was really about the people."

Nichol is listed at 6-foot-2 and 195 pounds. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.68 seconds. His skill set is slightly reminiscent of Rhett Bomar’s, in that Nichol is an excellent passer who can also run the ball effectively.

Unlike Bomar, Nichol is known for his smart decision-making both on and off the field. The two-time Michigan Player of the Year maintains a 3.36 GPA and scored 22 on his ACT.

“He’s the perfect fit for what Oklahoma needs,” said Rivals.com recruiting expert Jeremy Crabtree. “He’s a great leader. He’s football smart. He’s a good student. He does a lot of impressive things physically, and he’s been running the same type of offense as Kevin Wilson’s all through high school.”

That might be the biggest reason Stoops promised Nichol — according to the quarterback’s high school coach — that the Sooners weren’t going to recruit another passer this year.

Or next.

“Maybe he’s going to come in and be the heir apparent,” Crabtree said. “He’s certainly the type of player Oklahoma has been looking for.”

Bloomer_Sooner
12/1/2006, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the board Bloomer, keep the good news coming! :D

I'm no recruiting guru, just happened to be aware of some particulars in this specific situation. We have a good one, though, no doubt.

michigan_man
12/1/2006, 05:59 PM
I'm from Nichol's hometown and a Michigan State grad and all I can say is "BOOMER SOONER"

You guys are going to love this kid. He's humble, smart, very coachable, a gym rat, an incredibly hard worker and a winner. Also, you people in Oklahoma will love to hear that he honed his passing skills working out in a horse barn during the winters. His dad would give him targets to hit and he would have to throw lasers so as not to bang the football off the rafters. Another story - he led our school to a State Championship as a sophomore. To get him ready for the season, the offensive coordinator got a copy of Madden football for XBox and loaded the Lowell varsity playbook on it. Keith then played with his brother on the video game to learn the offensive sets and to see how different defenses reacted to different plays. He was an all-state player his sophomore year. He also went on to be one of only a few 2-time Michigan class A players of the year for his juniior and senior years.

He put up some pretty big numbers during his career here, but that's only half the story. I say that because he was typically pulled out after the first half of his high school football games. He had us up typically by 28-35 points in the first half of most games. He also runs a great no-huddle 2-minute offense, like you've never seen from a high school kid. If Lowell got the ball at their own 20 with more than 30 seconds on the clock, timeouts or not, he would normally lead them to a score - he loved that challenge. Obviously he had some talent around him but not one of them a division one player.

I was very excited he was going to State until they imploded this year - I don't know if you saw the highlight from the MSU-Minnesota game where the MSU quarterback, Drew Stanton, literally had his helmet crushed. He had to leave the game to get a new one. When I heard Stoops was coming for a visit I was hoping he would end up in Oklahoma. MSU is going to need some time to rebuild and I'd hate for Nichol to use his eligibility waiting for an offensive line to come together. I saw your O-line and knew immediately he was making the right decision.

This is a special kid and he has a cannon for an arm. By the time he bulks up a little bit he's going to be an outstanding prospect - he is 195 lbs already. Believe me - I'll be a regular on this message board now. My wife is getting Sooner gear this Christmas - we are huge Nichol fans.

Congratulations and take care of him - we love him and we're extremely proud of him in Michigan!

Paperclip
12/1/2006, 06:34 PM
Good stuff michigan_man. Welcome aboard.

soonerdave79
12/1/2006, 07:25 PM
"Unlike Bomar, Nichol is known for his smart decision-making both on and off the field. The two-time Michigan Player of the Year maintains a 3.36 GPA and scored 22 on his ACT."

That's one of the best parts of the article right there.

Widescreen
12/1/2006, 07:33 PM
Personally, I think the time for Bomar bashing is over. We're wrapping up a great season, he's moved on and so are we. (not talking to you soonerdave, I was referring to that article).

soonerboomer93
12/1/2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words, it's much appreciated.

birddog
12/1/2006, 08:03 PM
hope you enjoy the board m.m.
nichol sounds like a good kid.

are you excited about d'antonio?

michigan_man
12/1/2006, 08:20 PM
Right now it's hard to get too excited about Michigan State football. This was supposed to be a good year and, well, it wasn't. I hope he can turn it around - I think he was a good hire. I'm just glad Nichol didn't come and spend the next 4 yrs waiting for things to get better. It's better that he walk into a situation there where he has a chance to compete for a job - and if he gets it - has a chance to lead a potential top 5 team. That won't be the case with Michigan State for some time.

Here is some video of him in action.

http://www.wzzm13.com/sports/2006football/sidelines_player_1.aspx?aid=10322&sid=62742&bw=

Scott D
12/1/2006, 08:24 PM
Right now it's hard to get too excited about Michigan State football. This was supposed to be a good year and, well, it wasn't. I hope he can turn it around - I think he was a good hire. I'm just glad Nichol didn't come and spend the next 4 yrs waiting for things to get better. It's better that he walk into a situation there where he has a chance to compete for a job - and if he gets it - has a chance to lead a potential top 5 team. That won't be the case with Michigan State for some time.

Here is some video of him in action.

http://www.wzzm13.com/sports/2006football/sidelines_player_1.aspx?aid=10322&sid=62742&bw=

Look on the bright side, things couldn't get much worse for Sparty on the football field than the last two years. Well I guess they could, but you'd be Northwestern. And as someone who saw Stanton play in high school (as I live across the street from it), Smith misused him from day one, and the Spartans have suffered because of it. :O

OUfan7
12/1/2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the video MM. Good luck with your new coach.

starrca23
12/1/2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks mm, Nichol does seem like a good fit for Norman.

MI Sooner
12/2/2006, 09:03 AM
In case everyone didn't notice, there are a few more clips of Nichol at that WZZM website. Just scroll along the highlights looking for Lowell games. Most don't have as many clips of him, though.

OU-HSV
12/2/2006, 10:07 AM
In case everyone didn't notice, there are a few more clips of Nichol at that WZZM website. Just scroll along the highlights looking for Lowell games. Most don't have as many clips of him, though.
Welcome to SF.com. Thanks for posting info and that vid of Nichol. He looks like he's got a good arm. I look forward to seeing what he can do at OU.

cheetah
12/3/2006, 10:02 AM
Hey mm ...your article was right on. I live in a neighboring community and my 12 yr old son studied under Keith and coach Dean at Lowell. My son is Keith's biggest fan and the Sooners newest fan and says coach Stoops will be calling him in 2013.... he has already requested a OU jersey for X-Mas. To Keith, if you are reading this...good luck from Brady in Belding and good luck to the OU team and fans.