PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Sports article..

Fraggle145
11/29/2006, 12:22 AM
Dont know if its a repeat but here it is... Go Bob!

Steadying the Sooners

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
November 27, 2006

Bob Stoops has coached Oklahoma to a national championship, a perfect season and three Big 12 championships heading into Saturday's conference title game with Nebraska. He's put together bone-breaking defenses, roll-the-dice offenses and even figured out how to turn a moderately talented quarterback (Jason White) into a Heisman winner.

The guy can coach 'em up. No doubt about that.

Stoops' Troops aren't going to win the BCS title this year and aren't going to bring home a Heisman, but it's difficult to imagine that the eighth-year head man (85-18 overall) has ever been better than the fall of 2006.

Every coach likes to talk about overcoming adversity, but try this on for one season:

• The preseason loss of the starting quarterback and an offensive lineman due to self-reported NCAA infractions.

• The inevitable media fallout from that controversy.

• An outrageous series of officiating and replay blunders that cost the Sooners a game at Oregon in September.

• The inevitable media fallout from that controversy.

• The loss of mega-star running back, Adrian Peterson, to injury in mid-October.

And yet here is Oklahoma, 10-2, on the verge of reclaiming Big 12 dominance, with a host of new skill players but the same old Sooner focus. Oklahoma had every excuse in the book to roll over this season, but it never did. It hardly considered it. And that's because of the guy in charge.

"I really haven't looked too much into (the Coach of the Year race)," said quarterback Paul Thompson, who was converted back from wide receiver in August when Rhett Bomar was dismissed for NCAA violations. "(But) definitely he should be in that mix. With the things we have had to overcome, the way he has kept our mindset focused."

Stoops isn't going to win national Coach of the Year – the magic Greg Schiano pulled off at Rutgers should be rewarded – but it doesn't diminish his work. Long considered one of the best in the college game, this season outside of national contention ought to cement his legend.

If the old coaching adage is about how it's not how many times you fall down, but how many times you get up, then OU's stand-tall season is one for the ages. Even at a program this rich in history, this comfortable with win-it-all expectations.

"It was one of the most enjoyable (seasons) for sure," Stoops said Monday as he prepared for the Cornhuskers. "Mainly because of the attitude of our players."

His season-long message was about staying on course. It was about not giving in to excuses and giving up on the preseason goals. It was about finding a way to turn a most turbulent year into a most enjoyable one.

In August, when the program was rocked by the Bomar dismissal, when the preseason top 5 expectations seemed unattainable, Stoops gathered his team and allowed no doubt to creep in.

"I told them, 'If you are looking for an excuse or for our expectations to change, it will not be because of Paul Thompson,'" Stoops said.

That confidence boost helped Thompson, who, according to Stoops, hadn't thrown a ball in "8 or 9 months" to put together a strong season. It allowed everyone to keep playing like Oklahoma is supposed to play and continue to improve week to week.

Then Stoops made nearly the same speech after the Oregon debacle – two bad calls and a botched replay system cost the Sooners a key victory. The gaffes could have sent the team into "why us?" mode. He brought the speech out again when Peterson, the undeniable star of the team, was lost to injury.

"The expectations never changed and guys stepped up," Stoops said. "We never took our eye off our goals."

The tough thing for Oklahoma is the Oregon game is still impacting them. The Sooners should be 11-1, everyone, including the officials, has acknowledged that. They should be in the mix for a shot at the BCS title game. Maybe the 28-10 loss at Texas would be too much to overcome, but maybe not.

"It would be interesting to see where we would be if that game was called properly," Thompson said. "It's definitely hard not to think about it after every game."

Stoops says he can't waste time on it, although you imagine he must.

"(Thinking about it) doesn't do me any good," Stoops said. "For me to dwell on it would take away from what we're trying to do."

Oklahoma isn't going to win another national title this season. Bob Stoops isn't going to hoist that glass football. No Sooner will be in Manhattan for the Heisman ceremony.

And yet it is difficult to imagine this program, or this coach, having a better year.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

StoopTroup
11/29/2006, 12:32 AM
That confidence boost helped Thompson, who, according to Stoops, hadn't thrown a ball in "8 or 9 months" to put together a strong season.

This quote really makes you think about Paul...

Was last year a good thing and took the pressure off him and allowed him to focus?

or

Was it a case of nerves after Jason White left and it was a mistake to put Bomar in at all?

AimForCenterMass
11/29/2006, 12:39 AM
Stoops is definately one of the greatest of all time, yet he's only just begun.

Get this, some Husker fans are actually rooting for Oklahoma to win, mainly because Callahan sucks. Oklahoma is truly blessed to have Stoops at the helm.

Here is an email I received from the webmaster of www.billmustgo.com. By the way, you can email him your thoughts on Bill Callahan and he'll post them on the home page of the site.

YES! Thanks Jake. The site will be updated tonight or tomorrow. I
really hope your sooners DESTROY Callahan. Sure, "we won the north"
but order has not been restored when KU takes NU to OT in Lincoln and
Nu resorts to multiple trick plays to beat a Colorado team. Stoops has
overcome a lot of issues at OU this year, showing he is an actual
coach.
When NU loses, listen to the excuses.

Thanks again.

> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Callahan Sucks.
> From: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> Date: Mon, November 27, 2006 12:58 pm
> To: [email protected]
>
>
> When I think of Nebraska, pre-Callahan, I think of tradition, glory,
and rivalry. When I think of the modern era Nebraska, I think of
"****ing hillbillies", throat slashing, and thugs assaulting spirit squad
members. Nebraska can do better. They deserve better.
>
> Jake
> Boomer Sooner

www.billmustgo.com

Paperclip
11/29/2006, 12:54 AM
Jake, why does your user name make me think of Steve Buschemi's character in Billy Madison? I was never mean to you, right?

badger
11/29/2006, 01:03 AM
lol bill callahan:
http://www.billmustgo.com/pics/cally2.gif

Fraggle145
11/29/2006, 02:57 AM
This quote really makes you think about Paul...

Was last year a good thing and took the pressure off him and allowed him to focus?

or

Was it a case of nerves after Jason White left and it was a mistake to put Bomar in at all?

I dont think it was either... I think they put in an offense that Paul was suited for... He doesnt have to make reads int his offense. It is Play-action then hit a goto guy, if he is not there then throw it away or run it, and it is all set up by our run game. The king said this last night & I agree with him.