Soonerpsycho
11/28/2006, 06:25 PM
http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif

Mon October 9, 2006
Forget conference title
This year's Big 12 championship won't include Sooners even if they win out

By John Helsley
The Oklahoman

Give it up, you most optimistic of Sooner fans.

Abandon the crimson shades, yes, so soon, lest you welcome further disappointment in a season that's already delivered an Oregon takeaway and a Texas takedown.

Your team won't re-enter the Big 12 title chase. Not this year.

Not even by winning out. Don't bother doing the math; feasible as your formula might seem.

Besides, winning out? Shoot, winning outside of Norman is a challenge at this point. (More on that later.)

Which brings us to the next major moment in OU's schedule: Oct. 28 at Missouri.

That's right, Missouri, dangerous not only for the locale but also for the current take on the two teams.

The Tigers, at 6-0, are daring to rise above their underachieving past. Don't look now, but Mizzou climbed above the Sooners in this week's polls.

Meanwhile, the Sooners suddenly seem vulnerable, with too many lapses — basics such as blocking, tackling, covering, protecting the ball and knowing the snap count — still bogging them down in big games.

In Columbia, where OU barely escaped (31-24) with more talent in 2002, the Sooners could lose. Missouri might be favored to win.

The Tigers boast the Big 12's best young quarterback in Chase Daniel (sorry, Colt McCoy).

And Saturday's 38-21 victory at Texas Tech was the kind of legitimizing win they were lacking.

So the Sooners have three weeks — and two accommodatingly weak foes in Iowa State and Colorado — to brace themselves for their next big game.

The Cyclones, once expected to contend in the Big 12 North, have proven unworthy of such status at 3-3 overall and 0-2 in the conference.

Colorado's first season under Dan Hawkins might be startlingly historic.

The Buffaloes are 0-6 and losers of 10 straight, which matches the longest skid in the school's 117 years of football.

It's gotten so bad, Baylor beat the Buffs on Saturday — on homecoming in Boulder.

It's clearly get-well time at OU.

"It's really simple," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. "We've played one conference game.

"That's it. So we've got a big part of the season here in front of us, all Big 12 games."

None, however, carries the clout of Saturday's 28-10 setback against Texas.

And it was — and is — a setback.

Even in a perfect-down-the-stretch world to get the Sooners to 10-2, the Longhorns essentially own a two-game lead over OU in the South.

And what two teams can take down Texas?

One more troubling factor to consider: the Sooners no longer stir fear in enemy stadiums.

Since the start of last season, OU is 2-5 in games played outside Owen Field.

And that's where the Sooners will spend the latter part of the season, with four of their final five games on enemy soil. Some are snake pits.

At Missouri. At Texas A&M. And after Tech visits for the final home game of the season, OU goes to Baylor and Oklahoma State.

The Sooners are still capable of producing a successful season.

Despite the Texas loss, 10-2 or 9-3 would be an improvement over last year, not to mention any early August expectations.

Still, go ahead and schedule Dec. 2 for any non-football activity. Hang the Christmas lights. Hit the mall.

The Big 12 championship game is on for Kansas City, but you won't be needed.

http://www.newsok.com/article/2953192/?template=sports/ou

[email protected]

yermom
11/28/2006, 06:34 PM
BWAHAHAHA

"what two teams?" indeed

GrapevineSooner
11/28/2006, 06:48 PM
You don't get mulligans in sports writing.

lubbocksooner
11/28/2006, 06:49 PM
"One more troubling factor to consider: the Sooners no longer stir fear in enemy stadiums."

Want to bet on that?

Widescreen
11/28/2006, 06:52 PM
Compare that with some of his comments from yesterday's article:
http://www.newsok.com/article/2977554/

And suddenly, the Sooners are just who we thought they'd be. Big 12 South champs.

So things have worked out for the Sooners, who have seized control of their own destiny with seven straight wins.

MITSooner
11/28/2006, 06:53 PM
Awesome!

IronSooner
11/28/2006, 07:03 PM
Come on Helsley, that's right. Tell us we'll go o-fer on the road. Tell us UT won't lose another game. Tell us we have no shot at the Big 12 championship.

I want you to.

TUSooner
11/28/2006, 07:04 PM
He was gloriously wrong, sure. But lots of posters here (like me) would have agreed back then that tejas had the South sewn up. Sometimes its great to be wrong! :D :D

Jerk
11/28/2006, 07:11 PM
Guys...seriously:

If I were as incompetent at my job as Helsley is at his, I'd be fired.

And I bet many of you could say the same with some measure of honesty.

Really!? How many of you would be terminated from your employment for this kind of performance?

The Oklahoman must be a great company to work for.

Sooner98
11/28/2006, 07:17 PM
Cool.

Honestly though, after the Texas loss, was anyone here thinking anything different than what this guy said?

devOUt
11/28/2006, 07:21 PM
At about the same time, Sittler wrote an article in the Tulsa World stating that OU was more likely to go 7-5 than 10-2. I don't blame Stoops for his lack of patience with these hacks. They are fools!

sanantoniosooner
11/28/2006, 07:24 PM
If we all made a living giving our opinion about sports we'd all starve.

Blues1
11/28/2006, 07:27 PM
Cool.

Honestly though, after the Texas loss, was anyone here thinking anything different than what this guy said?

YEP --- "ME" - I said along a&m will beat texas - and get a new winter jacket for Kansas City.....!!!! ------------ ;)

Sorry I couldn't help myself......
Still R'

sanantoniosooner
11/28/2006, 07:34 PM
YEP --- "ME" - I said along a&m will beat texas - and get a new winter jacket for Kansas City.....!!!! ------------ ;)

Sorry I couldn't help myself......
Still R'
did you think KSU would do them in?

TheGodfather889
11/28/2006, 07:38 PM
Oh wow I laughed so hard at that. I'm not lying I was right on about OU this year. I didn't have them playing for the Big XII Championship before the season or even in the middle of the season. But after Rhett Bomar got kicked off I still picked OU to go 10-2 and lose to Oregon and Texas (even though Oregon should be a win). After Adrian Peterson got hurt I still picked OU to win out. I didn't expect Texas to lose but I'm glad I was wrong on that one.

PalmBeachSooner
11/28/2006, 07:48 PM
Guys...seriously:

If I were as incompetent at my job as Helsley is at his, I'd be fired.

And I bet many of you could say the same with some measure of honesty.

Really!? How many of you would be terminated from your employment for this kind of performance?

The Oklahoman must be a great company to work for.

Since when do sportswriters or weathermen have to be accurate to keep their job. Let's face it, most sports writers are on the same level as National Inquirer and Star writers. Whatever sells papers.

sanantoniosooner
11/28/2006, 07:53 PM
Since when do sportswriters or weathermen have to be accurate to keep their job. Let's face it, most sports writers are on the same level as National Inquirer and Star writers. Whatever sells papers.
well sports and weather have something in common.

Very unpredictable.

Most people decide if a writer is good or not based on if you like what they say, not if they are accurate a large percent of the time.

Widescreen
11/28/2006, 07:59 PM
Helsley's article would've been find if he would've said "I was wrong. The Sooners did great" instead of "The Sooners are right where WE thought they'd be." Gah.