PDA

View Full Version : Game Planning OU v. NU

soonerboy_odanorth
11/28/2006, 05:28 PM
So what do we think?

Stay conservative and try to physically dominate with defense and the running game?

Or do we dump out the bag o' tricks and play it gonzo?

I have a feeling it is going to be the former, which I don't like given this game's history and our complete inneffectiveness against the LoSuRs in the 4th quarter. But it has worked in the past, like in '87. And we do have the better overall defense. And I certainly don't know what our personnel matchups are, like Bob and the gang do.

Thankfully Bob is aware of and has embraced the history of OU-NU.

So my question is, do we have an end around, flea flicker, kickoff lateral, hook and lateral in the works? Will they take the wraps completely off the passing game and get back to some of the bubble screens, tight-end slants, deep routes, shovel passes, etc.?

What say you?

westcoast_sooner
11/28/2006, 06:00 PM
Shouldn't have to go all "Callaslash" and pull out all the tricks right out of the gate. I'd expect that we should be able to run like we have been, and Paul should be able to throw like he did against Baylor.

The D needs to keep up the good work, and tackle.

Stoop Dawg
11/28/2006, 06:02 PM
Given that it's supposed to be -100 degrees, I'm going to guess the game plan will involve a lot of running up the middle.

swardboy
11/28/2006, 06:04 PM
The Nebraska boards show a great fear of our running game, due to inept tackling by their D.....I think it's straightforward running game, smashmouth play with minimal passing attack....git 'r done!

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 06:08 PM
We should totally run that one play on offense that scores all the time.

On defense, we should totally blitz 7 while double-covering all the receivers.

Stoop Dawg
11/28/2006, 06:10 PM

That would have been, like, totally possible on the NU teams of old. Ya know?

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 06:10 PM
Heh. Good point.

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 06:20 PM
On a serious note:

Nebraska's DBs are junk. I swear whenever I see "Shanle" I think "Shankle." Unfortunately, throwing the ball in 10 degree weather is, well, harder than ****. Wilson doesn't seem to want to let Paul throw when the weather is inclement at all (which could be a function of Paul's capabilities or it could be a function of Wilson's philosophy) so I'm expecting a big dose of AOC and Chris Brown. Nebraska has a pretty good DL which is going to wear our OL down, so we need to jump on top in a hurry.

Defensively, we may be better served to play it straight up front. Taylor is pretty good at getting rid of the ball in the teeth of a blitz.

magic33216
11/28/2006, 09:32 PM
I agree with everyone about not throwing (obviously), but I think Chris and Allen have the talent and cajones to be able to take the game on their backs. They will stay calm, cool, and collected and handle everything. If they cannot get thr running game, we are in deep trouble. All of the points I made were all covered before I posred:D

Excuse the puns...

royalfan5
11/28/2006, 09:37 PM
On a serious note:

Nebraska's DBs have taken five year's off Royalfan5's life
fixed

AlbqSooner
11/28/2006, 09:41 PM
I swear whenever I see "Shanle" I think "Shankle."
Interestingly when I see him (or any other husker) I think of chancre. Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls.

OU vs Nebraska is supposed to be about smash-mouth football. I hope to see that this weekend.

goingoneight
11/28/2006, 09:46 PM

Heh, we might need OUr 12th man for that. :D

goingoneight
11/28/2006, 09:48 PM
mmmkay, help me before a retarded thread makes it's way from my keyboard, what does AOC stand for? Hurry, must... make... stupid... thread to ask stupid question... AHHHHH!!!

I called him AP...

AzianSooner
11/28/2006, 09:52 PM
rest assure that we will bliz Zax of Nebraska like crazy. He is type of qb that bring out the expertise and thrill for Brent Venerable and OU defense

finster
11/28/2006, 10:17 PM
Sorry soonerboy o. but you can't jus dump out the bag o' tricks and play it gonzo on old hilly Bill.He play's what you call "west coast smashmouth football offence" and the dreaded "Black Shirt smashmouth football Defence".Hope is futile.

instigator
11/28/2006, 10:19 PM
mmmkay, help me before a retarded thread makes it's way from my keyboard, what does AOC stand for? Hurry, must... make... stupid... thread to ask stupid question... AHHHHH!!!

I called him AP...
His teammates call him All Out Crusher.

OKC-SLC
11/28/2006, 10:28 PM

and we should only run that 'up the middle run play' when it's going to go for 65 and a touch. but nevar any other time.

and if our offense is facing a 4-man rush and 7-man zone, we should throw a lot. especially if it's rainy or windy.

Texas Golfer
11/28/2006, 10:37 PM
We need to concern ourselves with the extreme possibility that Nebraska will pull out all of the stops with trick plays. They ran six against Colorado last week. Colorado! Who in the hell feels the need to try and trick the worst team in the conference? Apparently, Clownahan.

As if Colorado hasn't been under siege enough this season, it had to defend six Nebraska trick plays in a 37-14 loss to the Huskers. The trickeration included: a fake field goal, which turned into a touchdown pass from backup QB to Barry Turner; a throwback pass from Marlon Lucky to Zak Taylor that resulted in a pass interference call; a fake field goal into a pooch punt; and a phantom timeout call on a 4th-and-1, which turned into a direct snap to running back Tierre Green for a 7-yard run.

sooneron
11/28/2006, 10:46 PM
I bet we see about 42 running plays to 20 passing.

We need to hit Zac early and often, possibly jam some guys on the line to throw off their timing.
We have to keep the nebbish receivers in front of us (dur) and not give up the big play.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/28/2006, 11:03 PM
their run defense is pretty solid, but is prone to giving up big plays. if we rush 42 times we might have 39 plays for 63 yards and the other 3 for 150+

11/30/2006, 06:58 AM
Heh, we might need OUr 12th man for that. :D

ALL PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR, SIR.