PDA

View Full Version : Is there a more class act than

jwlynn64
11/28/2006, 05:00 PM
Bob Stoops? Below are his comments from the press conference today?

On receiving Big 12 Coach of the Year and Rufus Alexander being awarded Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year:

“I’m pretty sensitive about it in that I appreciate it — anyone that recognizes individuals on our team — but you preach year-round that team accomplishments are what really matter. The sum of all our parts is what really matters, not any one individual.

"The University of Oklahoma, our team and this program are much bigger than any one person. I look at it and I’ll make a point that they do, too, that it’s just an example of a team award. I’m the head coach and Rufus is the defensive player of the league but it’s because of how they’ve played. How our assistant coaches have worked and put them in position. They deserve the credit.

"The players, the way they’ve played, they deserve the credit. I’m sure Rufus would say that. The guys around him have played in a really good way. Usually, these awards are given to teams that have won a lot of games. We’re number one or two in almost all defensive categories. It’s a reflection on the team overall. We appreciate it and are thankful for it.”

I love a coach who preaches that team success is what matters first and foremost.

soonermeteor
11/28/2006, 05:01 PM
Such a great coach.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/28/2006, 05:09 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again.

If I had a uterus, I'd totally have his babies.

sciHusker
11/28/2006, 05:24 PM

that's just wrong......

however, nice quote from coach stoops.

huskermike1
11/28/2006, 05:29 PM
He did a heck of a job this year congrats Bob and all you sooner fans see ya saturday

birddog
11/28/2006, 05:30 PM
gawd i hope that dude stays here forever. i can't imagine not having him roaming the sidelines.

he brings such intensity to our program and carries himself in a great way.

OKC-SLC
11/28/2006, 10:04 PM
gawd i hope that dude stays here forever. i can't imagine not having him roaming the sidelines.

certainly.

TUSooner
11/28/2006, 10:09 PM

I'm sure Bob would say you should have the team's babies... or something

Texas Golfer
11/28/2006, 10:48 PM

Maybe he can be our JoPa.

tbl
11/28/2006, 10:57 PM
Not to take away from him, but is there a coach out there that would heap praise upon himself in such a situation?

Miko
11/28/2006, 11:18 PM
Not to take away from him, but is there a coach out there that would heap praise upon himself in such a situation?

:confused: "heap praise upon himself":confused:

Appearantly one of us doesn't understand what that means. Must be me.

OU_PhD
11/28/2006, 11:54 PM

So, you're saying this is insincere humility? He attributes his greatness to that of the team--that's his character on display. If by "heap praise" you mean gloat, then no. Certainly most professionals would not gloat. Your post is a veiled detraction from his accomplishment IMO.

badger
11/28/2006, 11:56 PM
everybody please vote if you love sherri and the sooners:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/womenbb/index

(will post on every board until tennessee dies)

jwlynn64
11/29/2006, 09:29 AM

I'm not really sure what your point is. My point was that he took this individual award and turned it into a team award. Not only that, but he did it in seemed to me to be a very genuine way.

This is not the first time that he has stressed the importance of team. I have heard him say on numerous occasions that football is the ultimate team sport. I honestly believe that this is one of his core beliefs.

I just think that it shows tons of class to take this personal award and give it back to the rest of the coaching staff and the players. He could have easily answered with comments concerning his coaching philosophy and beliefs but instead chose to turn the discussion into how the group put together this great effort.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/29/2006, 09:43 AM

Like he'd **** you. Pfft. You wish.

tulsaOUfan
11/29/2006, 09:47 AM
I think you totally misread his comments. and I mean totally

tbl
11/29/2006, 09:48 AM
So, you're saying this is insincere humility? He attributes his greatness to that of the team--that's his character on display. If by "heap praise" you mean gloat, then no. Certainly most professionals would not gloat. Your post is a veiled detraction from his accomplishment IMO.
I never said it was insincere at all. I thnk Stoops is a great Coach that is the epitome of class. I just said that I don't know many coaches out there that would not give credit to the team.

jwlynn64
11/29/2006, 09:52 AM
Maybe it was the way in which he did it. I don't think many coaches would have done it the same way.

badger
11/29/2006, 10:59 AM
yes there is... Bill Callahan.

Bill: Y'all are effin' hillbillies, Nebraska. Hell, I didn't even know this program existed before Steve-O called a few years after I was fired. Y'all can kiss my arse on my way out the door with this award. Which NFL won't take back the Coach of the Year, now? I've had it up to here with that blackshirt bullsheet. LA, here I come!

Steve: Bill, can't I come too? I'll be your personal athletic director. Tell me which assistants to fire and you won't have to.

Bill: Hell, ya! Fire them all!

Steve: Yes, boss!

r5TPsooner
11/29/2006, 11:02 AM
How many HC's do what he did under the exact circumstances with the same amount of success?

Look what happened to Mack Brown when Colt was injured late in the year.

badger
11/29/2006, 11:09 AM
The Rutgers guy is going to win the nat'l coach of the year thing. He pulled a program out of the crapper to national prominence a la Kansas State.

Even though Bob pulled OU through tough situations, I think it's a worse situation to be stuck with a historically bad team. I mean, if Baylor had the year OU had, THEN Bob would deserve it more that Rutgers dude.

But... this is Oklahoma football :D

jwlynn64
11/29/2006, 11:34 AM
It's hard to argue against Schiano getting national coach of the year. They still have to play W. Virginia however and I'm not certain if a loss there should hurt his chances?

MiccoMacey
11/29/2006, 11:56 AM
I'd hope not...both OU and Rutgers would then be 10-2.

I loves me some Bob Stoops (maybe not as much as TulsaFireman ;)), but Schiano deserves this award.

tulsaOUfan
11/29/2006, 11:59 AM
there are many that deserve it. they look more at change in record from one year to the next. it's the lazy way out. you don't have to think. I doubt Stoops wins it.

Doged
11/29/2006, 02:01 PM

Lester.